Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Muscle Shoals Question
Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: May 17, 2016 08:44

Where did the Stones stay at while recording at Muscle Shoals on December 2-4 1969?

Re: Muscle Shoals Question
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 17, 2016 10:25

The holiday Inn in Florence.

Posted by: gomp ()
Date: May 17, 2016 15:03

505 S Court St,
Florence, AL 35630

Now a Hampton Inn.

HISTORIC MARKER TO COMMEMORATE THE ROLLING STONES’ VISIT

Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: May 18, 2016 05:40

Thank you guys very much,
i was thinking of visiting that way this summer,
now i will be able to go see the studio and the maybe even stay at the hotel too.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 18, 2016 15:16

There is an interesting documentary about Muscle Shoals.
thumbs up

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 18, 2016 16:06

This was posted before but since the subject came up, thought I'd re share it. Just an interesting slice of history.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 18, 2016 18:20

pepganzo
thumbs up

In my opinion, though the above is accurate, it's also an understatement. If you haven't seen the Muscle Shoals Documentary, look for it. You'll most likely be happy you found it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 18, 2016 19:58

jazzbass
This was posted before but since the subject came up, thought I'd re share it. Just an interesting slice of history.

The JJ and the LH stand for - Engineer Jimmy Johnson (Y’all come back, y’hear) and his assistant, Larry Hamby

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 18, 2016 22:27

mr_dja
pepganzo
thumbs up

In my opinion, though the above is accurate, it's also an understatement. If you haven't seen the Muscle Shoals Documentary, look for it. You'll most likely be happy you found it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

thumbs up

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 22, 2016 22:49

Jim Dickinson, who played piano, never got paid for the session.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 23, 2016 22:23

Bliss

Is that true, or just one of the tired Stones memes -- i.e., that supposedly they stole from everybody.
There is an interview on the Web in which he says that playing on that song was a big boon to his career.

[www.gibson.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 23, 2016 22:29

Q: Rumour always had it that the Stones do endless takes - which Keith is never happy with...

Damn, JD doesn't pull any punches!
[www.furious.com]

Oh, they do now and [chuckles] the records have suffered, unquestionably. They haven't made a record as good as Sticky Fingers - they've cut some singles that were pretty good but mostly overproduced. That [in Muscle Shoals] was one of the last times - as far as I can tell - when they actually played together as a band, without the issue of "who's gonna do the bass part?" and all that other crap.

I took my kids to see their last American tour, 'cause they'd never seen 'em, but it wasn't a real 'Stones show - the kick drum was so loud, it sounded like a @#$%&' disco band and I don't care who that bass player is, he's not playing the parts. The keyboard parts, don't get me started on them - as far as I'm concerned, the parts are compositional and they should be @#$%&' played. That no-talent, lounge-playing @#$%& they've got playing keyboards is not even coming close.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 23, 2016 23:17

wonderboy
Bliss

Is that true, or just one of the tired Stones memes -- i.e., that supposedly they stole from everybody.
There is an interview on the Web in which he says that playing on that song was a big boon to his career.

[www.gibson.com]

I recall an interview where he said he never got paid.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: May 24, 2016 00:42

In the doc Keef did mention about wanting to record more there, would've been cool if 'work on "Exile" could've actually been recorded there, Hoorah For Stone's History in My State!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home