Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Styx Brave New World breakup
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 04:28

The second part of my promised trilogy of AOR stars whose promising '90s comebacks were cut short and resulted in the end of the classic lineup. In this case, we now focus on Styx.

In 1995, Styx, which had been basically inactive and let go from A&M Records after the release and tour of Edge Of The Century, was helping their former label put together a greatest hits compilation. However, Wooden Nickel wouldn't give the rights to "Lady", so it was decided to re-record the song. Tommy Shaw, who'd been out of the band working with Damn Yankees, agreed to participate, as well as record an additional 2 songs for a volume 2 that would be released a year later. Dennis DeYoung, James "J.Y." Young and Chuck Panozzo were eager to tour again with Tommy and make a comeback. However, drummer John Panozzo, whose debilitating alcoholism had stunted his abilities and health, was told to stay home, and replaced by Todd Sucherman, and died while the tour proceeded. The tour, with Kansas opening, was a huge success, selling out arenas and amphitheaters across North America. The closing hometown date at the Rosemont Horizon (now Allstate Arena) was filmed and recorded, and released as the triumphant live album and video Return to Paradise, the album of which had 3 new studio recordings, one of which, "Paradise", became Styx's (to date) last charting single, reaching #28 on the Adult Contemporary charts. The concert was aired continuously on PBS, "Lady" was on "Freaks & Geeks", and many people were eagerly awaiting Styx's next album.

To follow up on the success, Styx launched a tour in '97 to mark the 20th anniversary of The Grand Illusion. This tour lasted 2 1/2 months, as Dennis was working on putting a production of his musical version of The Hunchback Of Notre Dame in Nashville in the fall. (It lasted 6 weeks at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center, and further productions halted due to the Disney film, which went on to have massively successful stage productions of its own.) Around this time, Dennis and his wife Suzanne suffered a viral infection. While she recovered, Dennis was left with an extreme sensitivity to stage lighting, diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome. This issue came to a head during the recording of Styx's new album, Brave New World, which was to be Tommy and J.Y.'s answer and revenge for Kilroy, with a concept they came up with, and Dennis' songs being afterthoughts. In the middle of recording, Dennis said that the tour to promote the finished album should be postponed several months to allow him to recuperate. At this, Tommy, J.Y. and the others accused Dennis of faking illness to avoid going on the road and holding them hostage. J.Y. went so far as saying in an interview that "he just wanted to be holed up at home with his wife all the time." With that, Dennis was summarily fired from the band. He was completely excluded from Tommy and J.Y's songs on Brave New World, despite them appearing on his 3 songs on the album.

Dennis didn't like the finished product, and told them it needed more work. Again, the band refused to listen and released it anyway, where it summarily flopped, failing to chart and receiving harsh and negative reviews. After a previously scheduled appearance on Children's Miracle Network, where everyone acted like Dennis was still in the band, Styx began its tour with Canadian keyboardist and singer Lawrence Gowan, starting at the Grand Palace Theatre in Branson, Missouri. The tour consisted of rathole dives and venues in Nowheresvilles throughout the country. Tommy and J.Y. kept initially saying that Dennis's leave was temporary, and that "we will welcome him back with open arms." When fans learned this wasn't true, there was a degree of outrage. In 2000, Dennis returned to the road with a solo band, apparently proving that all he needed was time to recover and wanted nothing more than to tour. He sued Tommy and J.Y. for continuing with the Styx name, and they countersued for advertisements Dennis made calling him "the voice of Styx." The lawsuits were settled, with Tommy and J.Y. allowed to keep working as Styx, and Dennis to use "from Styx" and "formerly of Styx," but not "the voice of Styx." The current Styx has released 2 studio albums, Cyclorama and the covers collection Big Bang Theory, and a slew of live albums. They have been consigned to playing state fairs, theaters/clubs, and rib cook-offs, except on the rare lucky occasion they get a co-headlining or opening act deal. Chuck Panozzo, who was diagnosed as HIV-positive, is largely absent from the band, only performing when his health allows. Dennis, for his part, has released the studio album 100 Years From Now, and 2 live albums, including one with his current band, which is a de facto Styx lineup with Tommy and J.Y. look/sound-alikes so that their songs can be featured in concert.

So, who's to blame? Was Dennis indeed holding Styx back and trying to weasel out of commitments, or were Tommy and J.Y. being petty and itching for revenge? If Dennis was indeed, sick, should Tommy and J.Y. have waited until the summer of 2000 to tour, as this was when he apparently recovered? Does this also make Tommy and J.Y. hypocrites for refusing to wait for Dennis, but letting Chuck, who is incredibly sick, drag himself onstage? Was Dennis right about Brave New World, or was the album brilliant and simply torpedoed? What would have happened if Dennis hadn't made the statement about postponing the tour? Would the band have stayed together, or were tensions to much to overcome? Your thoughts below.

Re: OT: Styx Brave New World breakup
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:06

I'm pretty far from a Styx fan, so I can only really comment based off what you say (which knowing nothing, seems like an excellent overview of the band up till now).

If what you say is true, I don't know how you don't side with Dennis. Unless he was faking, which seems odd, there was nothing that could be done and the other guys were d*cks. They should have waited, as they are better together than separate. Also, for what its worth, I think Dennis should be allowed to tour as "the voice of Styx". I don't know their lineup changes, but as an insanely casual fan, thats the truth. Its not saying "the genius behind Pink Floyd" like Roger Waters does, its simply pointing out "its the voice of Styx" which is the truth. In this case, it seems Tommy and JY were wrong, which is sad cause I always kinda liked the little I knew of Tommy. And it seems, as you describe Dennis was right about Brave New World. Maybe he couldn't make it better, but if it tanked I'm sure it wasn't great.

Harder to talk about again since I'm not really a fan. I still think, like Journey, no matter what they'd be relegated to being an amphitheater summer type band, at the level of Def Leppard, Santana, all those bands that play every summer. And just like Styx, from what I read, it seems like the singer was right and the band got too impatient. And its hard to replace a voice. Maybe these singers' know that, but it also seems like in both cases they were more than justified.

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:26

Aye - 'tis allz aboutz da money.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:29

They could have called in Axl Rose...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 4, 2016 14:03

What a horrible band. I saw them on the Grand Illusion tour with Thin Lizzy opening. Thin Lizzy blew them away. I never really listened to Styx after that show. I think Babe must be on the devil's jukebox....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:04

welcome to the grand illusion, come on in and see whats happenen...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:39

crholmstrom
I think Babe must be on the devil's jukebox....

>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

I think this needs to be a thread of its own...
What's on the Devil's Jukebox?

Date: May 4, 2016 17:43

Toxic34,

You've gone and done it again...

Well thought out and I am inclined to think that Styx was destined for doom after the rise of Damn Yankees. Even though they weren't meant to last, DY proved out one thing:

Tommy can rock.
Dennis cannot.

Creative differences.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 4, 2016 18:18

From what I understand, Tommy and Dennis can't stand each other personally and disagree about the music.
And while Tommy can rock and Dennis doesn't, Dennis has a knack for making pop records.
I think Dennis didn't want to tour with his old mates, probably was sick but probably could have pushed through, and then went out on his own after they had tanked. Which is what he wanted. And Tommy should have stayed with Damn Yankees but wanted to cash bigger checks but forget he needed Dennis to do that.
This post and the Journey post make you appreciate and admire the Stones a bit more. Despite their differences, health issues, addictions, dreams of making it as solo artists, they've stayed together and stayed the Stones.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 4, 2016 18:47

wonderboy
This post and the Journey post make you appreciate and admire the Stones a bit more. Despite their differences, health issues, addictions, dreams of making it as solo artists, they've stayed together and stayed the Stones.

Well, it could be argued that had Mick been successful touring solo in the 80s where he did one man Stones shows that might not be the case. Or it could also be argued that they are smarter than Tommy Shaw and know THIS is the money and that unfortunately they need each other. So tough it out, cause its money. Its a dour way of looking at it, but not unrealistic. That Tommy isn't actually as money hungry as he seems cause if he was he'd tour with Dennis even if he hated him (like Mick and Keith do).

But thats not what I'd rather highlight. I do agree with you, I like when bands stick with each other through thick and thin. The Stones are where they are because they have continued as a band for 50+ years.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:13

I really hope you are posting these on forums other than IORR. I love reading this
and I can't stand Styx. However they also did a good job of rebuilding the brand, tour all year every year and make millions.

Date: May 4, 2016 22:05

Kurt

Tommy can rock.
Dennis cannot.

quote]

That's a bit simplistic, much like saying that in the Beatles, John was the hard rocker and Paul the gooey sentimental one. They frequently wrote the opposite. So this is also true of Dennis and Tommy. "Renegade" was originally a folk piece like "Fooling Yourself" but Dennis turned it into the blistering rocker. Dennis also completely wrote "Rockin' The Paradise", which is exactly as its title suggests. And what about the major guitar track in the last third of "Suite Madame Blue?" J.Y. however can only do hard rockers, and not switch to sentimental folk/acoustic pieces like Tommy can. That versatility is why Tommy was hired, in addition to his doing the harmonies for "Lady."

Date: May 4, 2016 22:31

I'm a simple man.
winking smiley

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:41

One thing I'll say for Dennis D, he's in his late 60s and still sings those Styx hits pretty close to their peak years. He's not out there embarrassing himself like a lot of his contemporaries.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 5, 2016 10:00

Interesting, I'm just a casual fan but have wondered what happened. I read some
comment from Tommy saying he could not imagine any circumstance that would
allow Dennis back in the band. Ouch...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 5, 2016 18:19

Styx Drummer Todd Sucherman. One of the best in the business today.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 6, 2016 02:08

If you want to torture someone, lock them in a room and play
any Styx album.

They will find a way to kill themselves before the end of song
number one.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 6, 2016 03:27

F Tommy Shaw and F JY. Does that tell you how I feel?

Tommy use to be my favorite, actually, he was my favorite rocker outside of the Stones. They did DeYoung wrong, no doubt. It actually sounds like it may be more JY than Shaw keeping Dennis out of the band. I follow Dennis on Facebook and he has said more than once that he would go back with the band in a second if they would have him. He always speaks kindly of them, never a bad word. They have spent the last 16 years trying to erase his history with the band.

If you think they've become a "rocking" band since DeYoung has left, listen to some of the songs from Cyclorama. Nothing too "rocking" on there. I wish the new Styx nothing but failure. Complete and utter failure.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2016 06:08

Shaw came in at the 5th studio album. Funny how he kinda took over the name.

Date: May 6, 2016 06:22

wonderboy
From what I understand, Tommy and Dennis can't stand each other personally and disagree about the music.
And while Tommy can rock and Dennis doesn't, Dennis has a knack for making pop records.
I think Dennis didn't want to tour with his old mates, probably was sick but probably could have pushed through, and then went out on his own after they had tanked. Which is what he wanted. And Tommy should have stayed with Damn Yankees but wanted to cash bigger checks but forget he needed Dennis to do that.

damn yankess had already broken up by 1994 when ted left to go solo again. not sure how tommy could have stayed.

styx needs some new material though badly

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 6, 2016 22:01

More Hot Rocks

not sure..but i think JY started the band...which is why JY & Tommy are "Styx".

and like Tommy had a problem with Dennis being "the voice of Styx" as Tommy was the voice of a few of their hits.

I've seen current Styx and Dennis DeYoung with his new band....enjoyed both. Nostalgia. They were big when I was 12-15yrs old (late '70s).

IORR............but I like it!

Date: May 6, 2016 23:19

sweet neo con
More Hot Rocks

and like Tommy had a problem with Dennis being "the voice of Styx" as Tommy was the voice of a few of their hits.

I've seen current Styx and Dennis DeYoung with his new band....enjoyed both. Nostalgia. They were big when I was 12-15yrs old (late '70s).

i don't remember who started it but i believe dennis sings 9 of the bands 14 top 40 american hits.

lady
babe
mr roboto
come sail away
show me the way

thats off the top of my head on the ones dennis sings and the band only had 14 top 40 hits

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: May 6, 2016 23:38

Brave New World is a fantastic album by Styx. I saw Styx also on tour for that album, for me one of the best concerts in 2000.

Date: May 7, 2016 02:50

spsimmons
Tommy use to be my favorite, actually, he was my favorite rocker outside of the Stones. They did DeYoung wrong, no doubt. It actually sounds like it may be more JY than Shaw keeping Dennis out of the band. I follow Dennis on Facebook and he has said more than once that he would go back with the band in a second if they would have him. He always speaks kindly of them, never a bad word. They have spent the last 16 years trying to erase his history with the band.

Yes, JY has been more outspoken and venomous towards Dennis than Tommy has. JY continues to state that Dennis was faking his illness and made statements that they'd never get back together unless 'we were playing hockey on the River Styx." Tommy hasn't been as angry, but states that a reunion will never happen because "what was true in 1983 was only more true in 1996." And I don't like the fact that the website doesn't mention Dennis' name once at all.

Date: May 7, 2016 05:07

i agree dennis was treated wrong

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 7, 2016 05:21

sweet neo con

Dennis started the band with the Panozzo brothers. JY came next. I looked it up just to make sure:

From Wikipedia

Twin brothers Chuck (bass guitar) and John Panozzo (drums) first got together with their neighbor Dennis DeYoung (vocals and keyboards) while living in the Roseland area, eventually taking the band name "the Tradewinds". Chuck Panozzo left to attend seminary school for a year but returned to the group by 1964. Tom Nardini had been brought in to replace Chuck on guitar and Chuck decided to play bass guitar when he returned to the band. John Panozzo was one of their first drummers, while Dennis DeYoung had switched from accordion to organ and piano. In 1965, the name "Tradewinds" was changed to TW4[8] after another band called the Trade Winds broke through nationally. By 1966, the Panozzo brothers had joined DeYoung at Chicago State College and kept the group together doing gigs at high schools and frat parties while studying to be teachers. In 1969 they added a college friend, John Curulewski, on guitar after Tom Nardini departed. Guitarist James "J.Y." Young came aboard in 1970 making TW4 a quintet.

F JY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home