Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Around And Around
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 1, 2016 23:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 18:26 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 2, 2016 00:52

HenrikBB
DandelionPowderman
The «stereo» edition must be electronic reprocessed stereo, surely?

I´m not sure if it ever was released in Stereo . . . . . ?
- even though the 1970 rerelease is labeled "Stereo" !

No 1 & No 2 were both rereleased marked "stereo" on German Decca, -
both in glorious Mono ! -
and I think the same goes for this album . . .

My own copy is 1964 - Mono, - but maybe owners of the 1970-rerelease
can enlighten us !

If Stereo, - it has to be ERPS . . . !

Just checked it: it's all mono. I have the first pressing with winered / Gold Labels and round Decca emblem and a later pressing (1970) with red/Black Labels and stereo on it. But it's indeed mono. Never released in Stereo. All cd's are counterfeits with some additional tracks. They came up in the nineties if I remember correct.

Tom

Date: May 2, 2016 01:10

Both my copies are mono as well.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 2, 2016 01:55

I don't have the information anymore but there were 4 releases in early sixties....I have the first one with the langspielplatte on the back.....475 Euro!!!!!!!

[www.soundstation.dk]

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: May 2, 2016 19:45

This was an important L.P. to me, being from America and being naive back in 1965/66 when I saw this L.P. from a friend from Germany. I thought maybe each country released Stones L.P. with a song I didn't have. So I then started to look for L.P.'s from every country around the world hoping to find more and more songs I didn't have. I soon found out that was not the story but I did find out there were many 45's and L.P. covers that were different and that was exciting to me. So I started to get as many different covers to L.P.'s 45's & E.P.'s from all over the world
British Aftermath was really a highlight to me as it came out before the U.S. L.P.and had more songs then the U.S. L.P. and the cover was different.
Then things started to get real bad as I was looking for different labels ( ie PAX label in Israel) Colors of labels (ie Green Decca, Orange Decca in N.Z. etc) Odd B sides to 45's.not like in the U.S and U.K. First pressings with an alternate take on it.
I slowly stopped doing all this in the late 70's after seeing countries just mass producing re issues.. I mean a 45 of "Tell Me" with a photo from the 72 tour .
Anyway the German "Around & Around" L.P. helped start my record collection of Stones records

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 2, 2016 22:29

VideoJames
British Aftermath was really a highlight to me as it came out before the U.S. L.P.and had more songs then the U.S. L.P. and the cover was different... the German "Around & Around" L.P. helped start my record collection of Stones records

That's around when I discovered them too...
I found the cover variations interesting too. I was never really bitten by a completist bug...

VideoJames, how did you start getting into collecting video ?

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: May 3, 2016 07:33

schillid
VideoJames
British Aftermath was really a highlight to me as it came out before the U.S. L.P.and had more songs then the U.S. L.P. and the cover was different... the German "Around & Around" L.P. helped start my record collection of Stones records

That's around when I discovered them too...
I found the cover variations interesting too. I was never really bitten by a completist bug...

VideoJames, how did you start getting into collecting video ?

I started filming them myself in 1966. But that was mostly 8mm
home movies. I had a chance to video the 66 Forest Hills show, but foolishly said no!!! I really started "pro footage" collecting in 1969. I first got 16mm prints of the two JJ Flash promos, 2000 Light Years From Home, We Love You promos and a 16mm print of the TAMI Show (complete with the Beach Boys) I also filmed 8mm the Stones at MSG in 1969.. I started collecting video in 1971 (very expensive back then).. Then I became obsessed, the rest they say is history.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 3, 2016 10:00

Rank Stranger
One of THE Rolling Stones LPs from the sixties! Especially because of the songs from the Chess sessions. I still think those two days at Chess are one of THE highlights in the Stones history!

It was the first LP I could afford or was allowed to buy, though I no longer have that version; probably worn out after a couple of years!

The later SLK stereo catalogue number was some sort of 'fake', the album remained mono!
No electronic reprocessed stereo!!

There was a similar LP in the Netherlands called "greatest hits" NU 370 101
Had Fortune Teller, Come On and Money instead of 2120 South Michigan Ave., Poison Ivy and You Better Move On.

Is it bad or wrong memory or wasn't the next Stones LP No2 even titled No3 in some countries, at least for a short time??

Absolutely wonderful album. I bought my copy in the late 1960s when it was first available. (My copy is a French version - same track listing and front cover, but different back cover.) I was a poor student and spent 2/3rds of my weekly budget on this one album - imports being expensive.

The French version tags each track with the dance/style - thus:
Around and Around (Shake)
Good times bad times (Blues)
It's All Over Now (Shake)
Empty Heart (Shake)
Confessin' The Blues (not tagged)
Not Fade Away (Limbo)
Bye Bye Johnny (Shake)
You Better Move On (Slop)
I Wanna Be Your Man (Twist)
2120 Sth Michigan Avenue (Shake)
If You Need Me (Blues)
Poison Ivy (Shake)

It also lists the Rolling Stones Fan Club address as
9 bis,
Rue Labie
Paris (17)

But overarching everything else, as someone else has mentioned, is that it has the L-O-N-G version of 2120 South Michigan Avenue which I **always** thought to be outstanding, even long before I knew that the added musician was Muddy Waters.

Anyone else ever noticed that in the album's cover photo Jagger has his eyes closed. Odd thing to slip through the selection process.

For anoraks.. It's on Decca, the (French) serial No is 158.012. Side 1 of the label is identified as LPD 0 10 836, side 2 of the label is identified as LPD 0 10 837 and (mine) had respective Matrix Numbers LPD 010 0836 01 and LPD 010 0836 02.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 10:06 by CaptainCorella.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1450
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home