Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pentatonic scale-Open E tuning
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 28, 2016 15:17

hi ,
Is there a diagram to use for the pentatonic scale in open E tuning?

I can play some rhythm guitar put my lead playing in open needs work.

Any advise or diagrams?

Re: Pentatonic scale-Open E tuning
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 28, 2016 15:44

1st a Question: Major or Minor Pentatonic?

Now a bit of insight (definition):

In a standard E minor pentatonic scale you have the notes E-G-A-B-D
In a standard E major pentatonic scale you have the notes E-F#-G#-B-C#

Now, a smartass answer:
If you know how your guitar is tuned you should be able to find each of the scales notes on every string. There's your first diagram for that particular tuning.

Now a bit of more serious/less smartass advice:
As far as a particular "pattern" to use while you get familiar with the patterns and how they fall within a particular open tuning, I used to set restrictions on myself to force myself to get comfortable with where the notes fall.

Examples:
Try playing only two notes per string.
Play only the notes below the 5th fret
Paly only the notes between the 5th and 10th fret
Practice playing only on either 2 or 3 strings at a time and change up which strings you're using (I'd suggest adjacent strings)

Hopefully this helps you. If not, we've got some pretty good guitarists around this place and they may be able to provide you with better insight than mine. Also, if the way I tried to explain it comes close to helping you understand, feel free to ask a question... I used to teach music and have lots of different ways to try and explain the same thing.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 28, 2016 15:53

Can I ask why you want to play lead in an open tuning?

Date: April 28, 2016 18:21

Good question Mel.

just want to get some insight into playing a lead like Ronnie Wood on Let it Bleed from Hampton VA '81. There are other examples as well but I don't want to feel trapped when playing in a band that I can only play rhythm in this tuning

Date: April 28, 2016 18:33

Thanks Mr DJA,

Some great advise. Was looking for a diagram that showed all notes.

I take it you still move down 3 frets from major to get a minor in open E as well?

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 28, 2016 19:02

To play like Ronnie in open-E, I don't think it's helpful to think in a "scalar" sense. If you know from rhythm-playing where the chord changes are (the 5th fret is A, 12th is E, 8th is C, etc.), that's really all you need to know. Most of what Ronnie (and Duane Allman and hundreds of other players like them) is doing when playing a slide solo in open-E is shifting to those frets and playing the "notes between the notes."

Obviously, it's not *quite* that simple. But I really don't think it will help you at all to translate a pentatonic scale.

Go and listen to Mick Taylor's open-E solo on "Never Fall in Love Again." You might be shocked at how much of it is just Mick tastefully hanging around the 12th fret, but focusing on different string sets.

Date: April 28, 2016 19:19

chrism13
Thanks Mr DJA,

Some great advise. Was looking for a diagram that showed all notes.

I take it you still move down 3 frets from major to get a minor in open E as well?

Exactly. This crosses into theory regardless of instrument or tuning. But it seems you have a grasp on that concept already. (So hard to know where people's knowledge level is on a chat board!)

If you'll post the tuning of your strings that you're using, I can probably get you a diagram pretty quickly... I created many for my students over the years and can do the same for you. Low to high (pitch) I've got to assume E-?-?-?-B-E is half of it. Fill in the "?" for me and I'll help you with where the notes are...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 28, 2016 19:56

Thank you!

Open E tuning would be:

E,B,E,G#,B,E

thank you!

Date: April 28, 2016 21:39

Open E tuned guitar:
E Major Pentatonic Note Locations:

STRING
E: 0-2-4-7-9-12 (E-F#-G#-B-C#-E)
B: 0-2-5-7-9-12 (B-C#-E-F#-G#-cool smiley
G#: 0-3-5-8-10-12 (G#-B-C#-E-F#-G#)
B: 0-2-5-7-9-12 (B-C#-E-F#-G#-cool smiley

E Minor Pentatonic Note Locations:
String:
E: 0-3-5-7-10-12 (E-G-A-B-D-E)
B: 0-3-5-8-10-12 (B-D-E-G-A-cool smiley
G#: 1-3-6-8-11-13 (A-B-D-E-G-A)
B: 0-3-5-8-10-12 (B-D-E-G-A-cool smiley

I hope that helps. I realized after I made the offer, that because of the limitations of text fields and my abilities to upload image files, this wasn't going to be as easy as I hoped!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 29, 2016 10:44

It's also simple mathematics. The A and D-strings are tuned one note up, the G-string a semi note up. Constantly keeping that in mind helps you to make the right decisions while soloing with or without a bottleneck.

That's my approach anyway. In addition to counting in your head, you'll find other interesting combinations that wouldn't work in standard tuning, which are easy to play.

Date: April 29, 2016 18:56

What is also interesting, is to go to open tuning, and then play as if you were in standard. Playing the basic E chord, in open E or D is lovely.
But I'm with what Mel Belli said - when I started messing around with slide in open tunings, I was moving all over the place. Until I realized that half the time you can do it all in the same fret.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 29, 2016 21:42

You can figure it out for yourself.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 29, 2016 21:48

Can someone upload Lesson 1........... I'm already lost winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home