Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers Live
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 24, 2016 16:10

SF Live has often been my car traveling companion this summer and I quite enjoy the company. I don't listen to it with an ear toward how they did the songs in the past, it is wonderful in its own right.

Date: July 25, 2016 10:34

ouroux58
DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman
It's a very nice live album. Mick sings better than in 71-73 and some songs (BS, IGTB and SM) are on par with the magical studio versions.

It's better to be blind than reading this bullshit.
Better than in 71-73... and better that Get yer...
OK I think the Stones started in 2002 for you!

Who are you?

I am just me.

Thanks for the kind words. Apparently I'm both blind and a newbie.

BTW, Beggars Banquet is the Stones in their prime for me.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 25, 2016 12:54

Hopefully the whole Fonda show including footage will get a release.
It's really fun listening to it.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: July 28, 2016 00:45

shortfatfanny
Hopefully the whole Fonda show including footage will get a release.
It's really fun listening to it.

Fanny, you're right. there's not a lot of meandering within the songs and it is all high energy!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 28, 2016 12:13

The musical quality of SF Live makes me wonder if Sticky Fingers (original album) could have been a even better album with Ron Wood on lead guitar.

On a good night they are still The Greatest R n R band in the world, come what may.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 28, 2016 12:26

What A joke. There is no comparison. The quality is worse on Sticky Fingers Live both compared to the studio versions of the songs and the live versions from 1971-73 and it is not even close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-28 12:27 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 28, 2016 12:32

boogaloojef
What A joke. There is no comparison. The quality is worse on Sticky Fingers Live both compared to the studio versions of the songs and the live versions from 1971-73 and it is not even close.

thumbs up

Date: July 28, 2016 14:09

Not even close? Their live-renditions of Brown Sugar, Sister Morphine, Sway and I Got The Blues are a real treat and at least equal to the studio-versions. SF Live rules, could be their second-best live album if it would contain the entire performance. You cant beat Shine A Light, but SF Live comes pretty close.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 28, 2016 15:09

Shine a Light is their best live album? On what planet? The only Stones live album worse than SAL is Live Licks.

Back to Sticky Fingers Live. Pretty good, but no match for the original album.

Date: July 28, 2016 15:59

A live performance can never be measured to a studio album.

However, when they touch the greatness of the original getting excited should be allowed. They did that on BS, IGTB, SM and DF, imo.

Date: July 28, 2016 16:02

You must have low standards. You Gotta Move is the song that works the best of the rarely played songs in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-28 16:05 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 28, 2016 16:37

So many fans, so many opinions. There is something beautiful in their music for everyone, from 1963 till today. That's the greatness of the Rolling Stones. thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2016 17:47

HMS
Not even close? Their live-renditions of Brown Sugar, Sister Morphine, Sway and I Got The Blues are a real treat and at least equal to the studio-versions. SF Live rules, could be their second-best live album if it would contain the entire performance. You cant beat Shine A Light, but SF Live comes pretty close.

What part of "no comparison" do you not understand?

"At least equal to the studio-versions"? You really need to listen, not just hear. They can't play Sway live. Sister Morphine is pretty damn good, and possibly it's better on NO SECURITY - but it's no where near as good as the LP version. In no way could they ever top the LP version of I Got The Blues. Some songs are just never improved live.

Brown Sugar? Well, it's had its moments.

This live album, like any other live album they've released, even FLASHPOINT, beats SHINE A LIGHT. Why are you such a purveyor of garbage?

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 28, 2016 18:34

Sticky Fingers, is a great album and most of those studio versions will never be improved upon, so I'm not going to compare it with Sticky Fingers Live.

Having said that, I really like Sticky Fingers Live. They sound fresh and engaged -- Keith has recovered quite a bit from his post-fall issues, you can hear he is more confident and more spontaneous, Mick's voice is fuller and more natural than it has been for a decade or so, and we get the benefit of a smaller stage, so a little more focus on singing than on running about. Ronnie's playing is beautiful and thoughtful throughout -- pretty much MVP of this night. Charlie was good that night, too -- I enjoyed hearing him work some of the slower numbers. Bottom line: this is my favorite live Stones recording in a pretty long time. I like the song selection and, great or not, he band was a real band that night.

Skip, I agree they always seem to struggle with Sway, but this is my favorite live version. Even the one or two I heard with Taylor really suffered from overly-casual singing from Mick and just lack of jelling. This one has its moments.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 28, 2016 19:09

Ladies & Gentlemen is absolutely the best live album they never released, at least in the album medium. Nicky Hopkins is incredible, the horns are a perfect accompaniment, and the band is in their prime. How can you even compare the world's greatest R&R band in their late 20's to their 70's?

HMS is here to get people riled up, probably because he/she never saw the band until later in their career he/she is trying to make him/herself feel better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-28 19:10 by TravelinMan.

Date: July 28, 2016 19:21

TravelinMan
Ladies & Gentlemen is absolutely the best live album they never released, at least in the album medium. Nicky Hopkins is incredible, the horns are a perfect accompaniment, and the band is in their prime. How can you even compare the world's greatest R&R band in their late 20's to their 70's?

HMS is here to get people riled up, probably because he/she never saw the band until later in their career he/she is trying to make him/herself feel better.

I´m male. And yes I do feel good hearing my favorite band in their 70s still sounding as good as on SF Live. First time I ever saw the band live was 1990, btw. It´s the curse of my age and their long break between 1982-89.

I expect a band in ther late 20s to sound like they do on Ladies And Gentleman, but it is marvelous for a band in their 70s to sound like on SF Live, no one can expect that, it´s extraordinary.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 28, 2016 19:59

DonParker
boogaloojef

thumbs up

So true...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 28, 2016 20:07

boogaloojef
You must have low standards. You Gotta Move is the song that works the best of the rarely played songs in my opinion.

Low standards? I like those songs.

Keith plays the riff consistently wrong throughout (in minor) on You Gotta Move. That may fvck up the tune a little, as you probably have noticed (being a man of high standards, I mean), but I'm glad it didn’t take away your good experience of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-28 20:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 28, 2016 21:15

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Keith plays the riff consistently wrong throughout (in minor) on You Gotta Move. That may fvck up the tune a little, as you probably have noticed (being a man of high standards, I mean), but I'm glad it didn’t take away your good experience of it.

Low standards compared to the studio versions and live versions from the early seventies.

Date: July 28, 2016 21:16

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Low standards compared to the studio versions and live versions from the early seventies.

Date: July 28, 2016 21:17

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Date: July 28, 2016 21:24

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Date: July 28, 2016 21:27

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Date: July 28, 2016 21:27

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 29, 2016 04:30

Just listened fresh for the million-th time
Sticky Live Fonda 'Can't You Hear Me Knockin''
If you do not like this song,
if you don't think this version/recording of this 1 tune alone
is worth
whatever it is you had to pay to hear it rip into your head from your ears,
I.do.not.know.what.the.fvuck.to.tell.you
except,
you are keenly devastatingly missing out on current jet fuel for your life.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 29, 2016 06:45

35love
Just listened fresh for the million-th time
Sticky Live Fonda 'Can't You Hear Me Knockin''
If you do not like this song,
if you don't think this version/recording of this 1 tune alone
is worth
whatever it is you had to pay to hear it rip into your head from your ears,
I.do.not.know.what.the.fvuck.to.tell.you
except,
you are keenly devastatingly missing out on current jet fuel for your life.

I just play the record for that.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home