Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Journey Trial By Fire Breakup
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 23:12

I'm starting a trilogy of discussion points (asking whose fault and what could have been done differently) for the departures of classic lead vocalists from established AOR groups and the brakes being pumped in the middle of their high-visibility '90s comeback, putting all the promising trajectory to a squealing halt. Those cases are Steve Perry leaving Journey, Styx kicking out Dennis DeYoung, and the breaking of ties of Lou Gramm with Foreigner. We'll start with Journey.

For those not in the know, a brief recap. After a decade of inactivity from Journey after the Raised On Radio Tour, the various band members were adrift, the only noticeable movement being a brief reunion in 1991 to memorialize Bill Graham, and Steve Perry's second solo album For The Love Of Strange Medicine in 1994, and his subsequent tour. In 1995, the Escape/Frontiers lineup of Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory and Steve Smith were about to launch a restart with Kevin Chalfant, which was scrapped when Perry contacted them and said he was amenable to a reunion on the grounds that Journey's longtime manager Herbie Herbert was replaced with Eagles manager Irving Azoff, as Perry was clearly impressed by the traction of the Eagles' "resumption" with Hell Freezes Over and the subsequent tour. With this done, the band convened at Ocean Way Recorders with analog freak producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley to record their comeback album, Trial By Fire. Released in October '96, the album blasted past mixed reviews by the critics, rocketing to #3 on the Billboard charts, buoyed by its lead single, "When You Love A Woman", which became a #1 Adult Contemporary hit (as well as #12 Hot 100 and #9 Top 40 Mainstream), and netted the band its first (and to date only) Grammy nomination, losing only to The Beatles' "Free As A Bird." The other three singles "Message Of Love", "If He Should Break Your Heart" and "Can't Tame The Lion" were also modestly successful (#18 Mainstream Rock, #21 Adult Contemporary, and #33 Mainstream Rock, respectively), and the album as a whole went platinum.

Eager to capitalize on this success, plans were underway for a massive arena and amphitheater tour for the summer of '97. To prep for the shows, Steve Perry went to Hawaii to get in shape. However, after his first scheduled hike, he critically injured his hip and flew home, being diagnosed with a degenerative condition that could only be healed by a hip replacement surgery. Perry said he would think it over, as he was scared by the idea. However, months went by with no surgery, and thus no tour, and the album's momentum stalled completely. The other members kept on pressuring Perry to have the surgery, and referred to his indecision as "diva antics." Perry, for his part, shot back that the others were being insensitive and not taking his feelings into consideration. Finally, after 18 months of waiting, the band gave Perry an ultimatum; either get the surgery, or leave the band. Perry chose the latter. Drummer Steve Smith left the band as well, feeling at the time that Journey wouldn't be interesting without him (though he returned to the band in 2016 after replacement Deen Castronovo was fired due to a domestic violence incident). Journey then tapped Steve Augeri to front the band, going on the small-scale "Vacation's Over Tour" in '98 to rebuild grassroots momentum, featuring 5 songs from Trial By Fire, none of which have been regular parts of the setlist since. By '99, the band became once again arena-filling stars, though they kept stumbling with albums until the hiring of Arnel Pineda in 2007 and the 2 albums done with him, which became massively successful on satellite radio, YouTube and iTunes, as well as platinum-certified. Perry, for his part, had hip replacement surgery almost immediately after leaving Journey and fully recovered. He thus fell into a life of quiet obscurity, including taking up cow farming, though he did emerge to perform a couple songs with the Eels in 2014. Perry has repeatedly talked about plans to make a third solo album over the years, but nothing seems to be happening on that end.

And so, with that, the discussion begins. Whose fault was it that the Eclipse/Frontiers lineup didn't hold and Trial By Fire didn't continue to be the breakaway hit it clearly should've been? Was Perry at fault for refusing to go into surgery (especially considering that his getting it after leaving the band and his full recovery showed there was nothing to fear), or did the other band members push him out and not handle it as well as they should have? What could have been done differently? Could the band have simply cut another album while waiting for Perry to make a decision? Should Perry have not gone to Hawaii? And lastly, if Perry had not been injured at all, what would have happened to Journey? How would a Trial By Fire tour have gone down, and would this success have held? Also, does anyone feel replacing Herbie Herbert with Irving Azoff was the right move? Your thoughts below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 23:22 by Toxic34.

Re: OT: Journey Trial By Fire Breakup
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 22, 2016 03:06

All I know is what you ably described, but it sounds to me that Perry didn't really want to tour and the injury at the very least caused him to reconsider the whole idea.
The band gave him 18 months, so that is hardly pressuring him.
I believe that fronting a band on a concert tour demands a great deal of ego and maybe Perry didn't want to go back and be that person again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2016 03:47

They could have called in Axl Rose - "Don't stop, believing..."

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 10:12

Wasn't that singer they hired discovered singing Journey karaoke on Youtube?

Date: April 22, 2016 10:29

DGA35
Wasn't that singer they hired discovered singing Journey karaoke on Youtube?

the original replacement for perry was steve augeri and he was in a few rock bands that released a few albums before journey brought him in.

how about in 1987 Michael Bolton all but had the job to replace perry then and instead the rest of journey disbanded and formed Bad English. 1/2 of journey appears on boltons album the hunger on some songs they worked on together

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 22, 2016 16:27

While I get some of the poppy stuff by Journey & it doesn't offend me, for me the band was way better before they added Steve Perry. I saw them open for Lynyrd Skynrd (with Ronnie et al) when "Look Into the Future" was out. Greg Rollie on vocals. They were outstanding back in that day.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:43

Wow Toxic34!
Since you've put a lot of thought and effort into this post, I'll respond...

If Perry had stayed, Journey would still have eventually stumbled. His solo material was just too popular. No doubt they are ripe for a huge tour if he returns next year. Especially if its a double-bill with Santana.

Personally, I saw Journey in 1980 with Pat Benatar as the opener.
Went with my first girlfriend, she drove since I was only 15 yrs old.
She broke up with me and I've never really recovered my love for Journey.
moody smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:22

Journey...My only experience with them was when they opened for the Stones in 1981 and nearly got booed off the stage after thanking the audience for making them "the number one band in America!" I actually felt kind of sorry for them as they sounded pretty good to my ears. I'm sure they would be much more popular today if Perry was still with them. Replacement lead singers rarely work, as the lead singer is often viewed as the personality of the band. Van Hagar was a surprising exception....but it didn't last.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 23, 2016 21:54

If Steve Perry can still sing a Journey tour with would make a few hundred million dollars. Steve Perry is crazy to not discuss this with Neil Schon and just do it. Its crazy to turn down such huge amounts of money. But then Steve Perry has to still have the old magic and perhaps he doesn't. Then you had wacky John Densmore who vetoed licencing Doors music for commercials...

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 24, 2016 22:13

triceratops
If Steve Perry can still sing a Journey tour with would make a few hundred million dollars. Steve Perry is crazy to not discuss this with Neil Schon and just do it. Its crazy to turn down such huge amounts of money. But then Steve Perry has to still have the old magic and perhaps he doesn't. Then you had wacky John Densmore who vetoed licencing Doors music for commercials...

It's called artistic integrity

Date: April 24, 2016 22:31

Kurt
Wow Toxic34!

If Perry had stayed, Journey would still have eventually stumbled. His solo material was just too popular. No doubt they are ripe for a huge tour if he returns next year. Especially if its a double-bill with Santana.

Personally, I saw Journey in 1980 with Pat Benatar as the opener.
Went with my first girlfriend, she drove since I was only 15 yrs old.
She broke up with me and I've never really recovered my love for Journey.
moody smiley[/quote

perry had 1 popular solo album and that was released while he was in journey. what are you talking about? steves 2nd album barely went gold and was released 10 years after his first

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 24, 2016 22:38

HonkeyTonkFlash
Journey...My only experience with them was when they opened for the Stones in 1981 and nearly got booed off the stage after thanking the audience for making them "the number one band in America!" I actually felt kind of sorry for them as they sounded pretty good to my ears. I'm sure they would be much more popular today if Perry was still with them. Replacement lead singers rarely work, as the lead singer is often viewed as the personality of the band. Van Hagar was a surprising exception....but it didn't last.

I saw them open for the stones in Chicago in 78 as I remember the crowd loved
them. However, they did make some comment or gesture stating they were number
one - seemed odd and tacky given they were opening for The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 24, 2016 22:48

Trial By Fire is a good Journey album, but not their best. My favorite Journey album until now is 'Revelation' with Arnel Pineda on vocals. Also Arnel Pineda & Journey did for me the ultimate best concert in the 21st Century.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 24, 2016 23:14

First off, I will say I'm not a Journey fan, but am a fan of music so I do feel I can respond. Gotta do this first.

crholmstrom
While I get some of the poppy stuff by Journey & it doesn't offend me, for me the band was way better before they added Steve Perry. I saw them open for Lynyrd Skynrd (with Ronnie et al) when "Look Into the Future" was out. Greg Rollie on vocals. They were outstanding back in that day.

Early Journey is @#$%& excellent. I'm glad someone pointed it out before me! I don't know why they are so ridiculously forgotten. Is it rather generic 70s rock? Yeah, it is, but its not the Journey you think and that alone is shocking and really interesting to hear. Look Into The Future is the best of their 3 early albums, but the one before and after it aren't bad either. Some really GREAT songs, and I agree Steve Perry was the one that killed that. Maybe not personally, but his entrance signaled the end of good Journey, at least to me. Obviously thats when they got popular so I don't blame them for sticking with that instead. Early Journey shows how good Gregg Rolie and Neal Schon really are.

In terms of the Perry/Trail breakup, I think its squarely on Perry. They gave him time, he didn't do anything. Especially after he forced his hand with Irving Azoff. If you're gonna do that, obviously you want to be a big touring band. Why Perry dragged his feet with it I don't know. But the band relented to Azoff, then when they actually wanted to tour and capitalize on their success, Perry prevented. So its squarely on him, and unfortunately it kind of killed the band. To many, Steve Perry is Journey so without him the band is a different animal. Its smaller. As you mentioned, Styx and Foreigner are the same way but we can get to them.

Basically, I agree with Kurt who says they would have eventually stumbled. They would have. They WEREN'T the Eagles. They were Journey. Thats not to discredit them, but I think the 80s thing will always plague them. The nostalgia would have been there for a Trial By Fire tour but hardly sustained like I think the Eagles could, and did. Azoff was the right decision, however if Perry had no intention to tour, then no they probably could have done what they did with Herbert. Azoff was key for a tour, which never materialized IMO. IMO, had they not broken up, they would have eventually ended up in the same situation they are in now. They would have been like Def Leppard level, who by the way I love (again, EARLY Leppard). Def Leppard usually have a 3 bill show, with them being the headliner and Journey/Styx/Foreigner now being the second. IF Steve Perry was still there after these 20 years, I think they could be Leppard level and headline a 3 bill show like that, but I don't think they'd be bigger. Simply because none of that music from that era is. Leppard were huge with Hysteria but they can still only fill amphitheaters every summer.

Journey would have stumbled, and because Perry left, they now have one shot to cash in on his return. Would definitely have to be a co-headlining bill, but they could fill places like the Garden I think and an Escape reunion still has money in it. But at this point, they'd literally be where they are now had Perry not left (maybe a bit bigger) or they might actually be in a better position having lost him so now they can cash in on his return for a semi-big reunion tour. The music landscape just changed so much that in the end Perry's leaving didn't really do all that much. It made them less "official" I think to many, but they also would have faded over time naturally. I do think a Perry reunion will happen and I believe they've even said it could be rather imminent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-24 23:17 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 24, 2016 23:39

swimtothemoon
HonkeyTonkFlash

Did they also open for the Stones in 1978? I saw them open in 1981 at the infamous Philly #1 show. I'd never heard that they opened any Stones shows before that.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 00:24

Toxic34
I'm starting a trilogy of discussion points (asking whose fault and what could have been done differently) for the departures of classic lead vocalists from established AOR groups and the brakes being pumped in the middle of their high-visibility '90s comeback, putting all the promising trajectory to a squealing halt. Those cases are Steve Perry leaving Journey, Styx kicking out Dennis DeYoung, and the breaking of ties of Lou Gramm with Foreigner. We'll start with Journey.

For those not in the know, a brief recap. After a decade of inactivity from Journey after the Raised On Radio Tour, the various band members were adrift, the only noticeable movement being a brief reunion in 1991 to memorialize Bill Graham, and Steve Perry's second solo album For The Love Of Strange Medicine in 1994, and his subsequent tour. In 1995, the Escape/Frontiers lineup of Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory and Steve Smith were about to launch a restart with Kevin Chalfant, which was scrapped when Perry contacted them and said he was amenable to a reunion on the grounds that Journey's longtime manager Herbie Herbert was replaced with Eagles manager Irving Azoff, as Perry was clearly impressed by the traction of the Eagles' "resumption" with Hell Freezes Over and the subsequent tour. With this done, the band convened at Ocean Way Recorders with analog freak producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley to record their comeback album, Trial By Fire. Released in October '96, the album blasted past mixed reviews by the critics, rocketing to #3 on the Billboard charts, buoyed by its lead single, "When You Love A Woman", which became a #1 Adult Contemporary hit (as well as #12 Hot 100 and #9 Top 40 Mainstream), and netted the band its first (and to date only) Grammy nomination, losing only to The Beatles' "Free As A Bird." The other three singles "Message Of Love", "If He Should Break Your Heart" and "Can't Tame The Lion" were also modestly successful (#18 Mainstream Rock, #21 Adult Contemporary, and #33 Mainstream Rock, respectively), and the album as a whole went platinum.

Eager to capitalize on this success, plans were underway for a massive arena and amphitheater tour for the summer of '97. To prep for the shows, Steve Perry went to Hawaii to get in shape. However, after his first scheduled hike, he critically injured his hip and flew home, being diagnosed with a degenerative condition that could only be healed by a hip replacement surgery. Perry said he would think it over, as he was scared by the idea. However, months went by with no surgery, and thus no tour, and the album's momentum stalled completely. The other members kept on pressuring Perry to have the surgery, and referred to his indecision as "diva antics." Perry, for his part, shot back that the others were being insensitive and not taking his feelings into consideration. Finally, after 18 months of waiting, the band gave Perry an ultimatum; either get the surgery, or leave the band. Perry chose the latter. Drummer Steve Smith left the band as well, feeling at the time that Journey wouldn't be interesting without him (though he returned to the band in 2016 after replacement Deen Castronovo was fired due to a domestic violence incident). Journey then tapped Steve Augeri to front the band, going on the small-scale "Vacation's Over Tour" in '98 to rebuild grassroots momentum, featuring 5 songs from Trial By Fire, none of which have been regular parts of the setlist since. By '99, the band became once again arena-filling stars, though they kept stumbling with albums until the hiring of Arnel Pineda in 2007 and the 2 albums done with him, which became massively successful on satellite radio, YouTube and iTunes, as well as platinum-certified. Perry, for his part, had hip replacement surgery almost immediately after leaving Journey and fully recovered. He thus fell into a life of quiet obscurity, including taking up cow farming, though he did emerge to perform a couple songs with the Eels in 2014. Perry has repeatedly talked about plans to make a third solo album over the years, but nothing seems to be happening on that end.

And so, with that, the discussion begins. Whose fault was it that the Eclipse/Frontiers lineup didn't hold and Trial By Fire didn't continue to be the breakaway hit it clearly should've been? Was Perry at fault for refusing to go into surgery (especially considering that his getting it after leaving the band and his full recovery showed there was nothing to fear), or did the other band members push him out and not handle it as well as they should have? What could have been done differently? Could the band have simply cut another album while waiting for Perry to make a decision? Should Perry have not gone to Hawaii? And lastly, if Perry had not been injured at all, what would have happened to Journey? How would a Trial By Fire tour have gone down, and would this success have held? Also, does anyone feel replacing Herbie Herbert with Irving Azoff was the right move? Your thoughts below.

Hard to say where they rank in the list of worst bands with Styx and Bon Jokie, but they down there

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 25, 2016 01:57

HonkeyTonkFlash
swimtothemoon
HonkeyTonkFlash

Did they also open for the Stones in 1978? I saw them open in 1981 at the infamous Philly #1 show. I'd never heard that they opened any Stones shows before that.

He must have mistakenly typed 78 instead of 81, cause 81 was I think the only time they opened and the only time it made sense that they said the #1 comment. They were still relatively unknown in 78.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 25, 2016 02:00

Come on man, naysayers shut the f up. Mach I, II and even III Journey deserves respect. Half the original line-up is back together again with Santana for crying out loud! LEGENDS!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-25 02:04 by shadooby.

Date: April 25, 2016 02:02

RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
swimtothemoon
HonkeyTonkFlash

He must have mistakenly typed 78 instead of 81, cause 81 was I think the only time they opened and the only time it made sense that they said the #1 comment. They were still relatively unknown in 78.

I did a google search and there was a 78 appearance

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 25, 2016 02:46

HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
swimtothemoon
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yes it was Soldgers Field in Chicago. Several bands: Peter Tosh, south side Johnny, Journey and The Rolling Stones. I think Infinity had recently been
released?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 25, 2016 05:32

A few years ago, I posted a brief clip regarding Journey and their appearance in Chicago on the Stones 1978 tour. There's a few snippets where the band is onstage, looking out at the audience, and I thought it gave a good, but brief, glimpse of what the Stones saw looking out at the audience on that tour. Unfortunately, I think our host deleted it, considering it not relevant. You can find it if you want.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: April 25, 2016 07:10

swimtothemoon
HonkeyTonkFlash
RollingFreak
HonkeyTonkFlash
swimtothemoon
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yes it was Soldiers Field in Chicago. Several bands: Peter Tosh, south side Johnny, Journey and The Rolling Stones. I think Infinity had recently been
released?

I can confirm that Chicago date as I was there. Sorry to say but Southside Johnny and Peter Tosh left more of an impression on me that day.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 25, 2016 16:07

keefriffhard4life

perry had 1 popular solo album and that was released while he was in journey. what are you talking about? steves 2nd album barely went gold and was released 10 years after his first

That "1 popular solo album" went 2X PLATINUM and in my humble opinion, the wedge was driven from that point forward.
I just think that the band wouldn't have been so eager to move on without Steve Perry if he hadn't put that album out.
Or if it hadn't been so successful.

smileys with beer

Date: April 25, 2016 16:27

Black and white pics from the Soldier Field-gig in 1978 were posted here some time ago. I remember the guy from Journey wore a football jersey (like Mick would do for the next Stones tour).

Date: April 26, 2016 01:13

Kurt
keefriffhard4life

That "1 popular solo album" went 2X PLATINUM and in my humble opinion, the wedge was driven from that point forward.
I just think that the band wouldn't have been so eager to move on without Steve Perry if he hadn't put that album out.
Or if it hadn't been so successful.

smileys with beer

but journey did 2 albums with steve after that and both outsold steves 1994 solo album

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 4, 2016 06:07

A 1997 tour would have been absolutely massive, 2nd only to the Rolling Stones and likely surpassing Popmart. Subsequent tours would have been huge as well even if they would have had to take on name openers or just tour every few years.

Probably all Steve's fault but all of them are total @#$%& so who knows what went on behind the scenes to make him decide he would rather forgo the paycheck than spend any more time with them.

And Steve Perry has been spending time in the studio off and on. It's how he ended up singing with Boheme but who knows how productive the rest of the time has been.

Here is a heartbreaking tale, to me at least, I WON TICKETS to the Eeels show in Los Angeles thru some shitty website who's name I won' repeat, they notified me well past 8pm that night, too late to make the show.

At least the rest of the band did an okay job of rebuilding the brand though I can say I have never heard a note of anything past a bit of Raised On Radio. And Steve Perry is still a partner in Journey Incorporated and still gets paid.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:08

vertigojoe
triceratops

that sure will put money in your bank .

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:12

TheGreek
vertigojoe
triceratops

that sure will put money in your bank .

He already has money in the bank. For some people there is not enough money in the world to be stuck in a room with Neil Schon, a mirror and a camera.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2016 04:23

Kurt
Wow Toxic34!

If Perry had stayed, Journey would still have eventually stumbled. His solo material was just too popular.

You mean the ONE song that was a hit?

Well, there was Foolish Heart. And You Better Wait, which sounded like... Journey!

Such a great voice. Really truly astounding.

Date: May 7, 2016 05:03

GasLightStreet
Kurt
Wow Toxic34!

If Perry had stayed, Journey would still have eventually stumbled. His solo material was just too popular.

You mean the ONE song that was a hit?

Well, there was Foolish Heart. And You Better Wait, which sounded like... Journey!

Such a great voice. Really truly astounding.

you forgot "oh sherrie". i think thats his biggest solo hit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home