Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Concert Bootlegging in today's environment!
Posted by: tomy1 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 15:16

This is directed to all those bootleggers out there. With the more over the top security these days at concert venues since the Paris concert hall attack - I have noticed more venues using metal detectors. I have been an avid concert "taper" ever since the 70's and would hate to give this up. Hell I took my girlfriend to a Joel Olsteen "Night of Hope" concert in Orlando last week and they were using metal detectors and wand detectors.

With that said - how does one now enter an area and not get detected trying to bring in recording equipment?

Thanks for any help?

Re: Concert Bootlegging in today's environment!
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2016 15:40

A friend of mine (and a poster on IORR) - no names please! - has a vest with mics in the collars and the control operated from within the pockets. Don't know if anything is metallic or not.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 21, 2016 15:52

Elmo Lewis
A friend of mine (and a poster on IORR) - no names please! - has a vest with mics in the collars and the control operated from within the pockets. Don't know if anything is metallic or not.

yeah that is a sweet setup....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 21, 2016 16:11

The guy who taped G&R in Vegas "explained" to the man at the gate he was deaf and his recording gear was his assistant listening device... he was let in.

The following night the security guy with a wand stopped at his thigh and asked him "do you have a metal plate in your leg?". The taper said "YES". He was let in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 16:13 by dcba.

Date: April 21, 2016 16:12

The real NEW problem is trying to somehow "out smart" the metal detector? The good old days it was quite easy to get in you could strap your device to you arm, leg even in your crotch?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 21, 2016 16:14

I guess you can't. You just have to give a BS explanation as to why it rings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-21 18:01 by dcba.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 21, 2016 16:22

The Spinal Tap solution: a foil wrapped cucumber strategically placed to divert attention!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 21, 2016 16:34

The fantastic wav recorders available today and such really don't have much detectable metal...I've gotten the Zoom H2 and the Sony M10 past wands and walkthroughs...pretty sure my D50 has metal though.

Posted by: ThinAir ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:03

not a topic that should be discussed in public...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:23

Not as easy as it once was. I used to tape shows in the 70s and it was fairly easy getting cassette recorders in under a big jacket with a mate used as a decoy to distract the ticket collector through conversation.

We have a real James Bond on the site who has tiny video cameras in his glasses. I think he recorded one of the O2 shows in 2007.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 21, 2016 21:20

My friend, who actually wrote and directed the film Born To Be Blue, got into a Bob Dylan show at Cobo Hall just after 9/11 when they had metal detectors and he was carrying a DAT recorder. The security guy couldn't figure it out but eventually he played the metal piece in his hip and got in

Concert Bootlegging in today's environment - Part 2
Date: April 22, 2016 14:49

With today's environment it is getting harder to conceal recording equipment to bootleg your favorite concerts. I am from the old school - I have been taping for many years and my go tape recorder is the Sony WM-D6C. This has been my workhorse and has never let me down.

With the recent Paris concert hall attacks many areas and stadiums have now installed metal detectors and or wand detectors. With it's 1980's technology my good old Sony WM-D6C will more than likely never get through the new security measures due to the amount of metal parts!

My question what is a good current make/model/type of recorder that I should purchase that could be looked at as something else or even have a minimum of metal parts. Also, what would be a good external mic to add.

I have heard some great recordings from fans who have posted to this site - so maybe they can chime in?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 22, 2016 23:43

dcba
The guy who taped G&R in Vegas "explained" to the man at the gate he was deaf and his recording gear was his assistant listening device... he was let in.

The following night the security guy with a wand stopped at his thigh and asked him "do you have a metal plate in your leg?". The taper said "YES". He was let in.

Nice tricks. BTW I think GNR were using metal detectors already in 1991. I head a story from a bootleger who smuggled photo cameras and DAT recorders to MSG. In those days it was much more difficult than today!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home