Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love' Which Version?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2016 00:20

I've always been partial to the Blues Brothers Version. Vocally, its not that strong but I think it has a great arrangement.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 24, 2016 00:50

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman
The Now cassette version (aka the third version).

Never heard about that one! What's the difference to the other two versions - a totally different (3rd) take or just mixing/editing differences?

Sorry about the late reply. I have transferred the cassette version now. Here it is:

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for sharing this one, DP! I've never heard this version before. thumbs up

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: April 24, 2016 01:36

alimente
HenrikBB
alimente
DandelionPowderman
No. The regular long version is on No 2 (5:00) and a shortened version of that one (3:00) is on the Now vinyl release. This is a different version.

On the regular version there isn't as much falsetto singing, different guitars and Keith's backing/harmony isn't as audible.

Thanks for your reply and thanks for posting the "cassette take". However, at first glance I still believe that there are only two version of ENSTL:

The "long" version on The Rolling Stone No. 2 (5:00) with that thumping bass line and the "short" version on "Now" reportedly issued by mistake (3:00), which sounds like an earlier take, rawer and the arrangement of course not yet fully developed (I seem to recall that Roy Carr described it as a "live in the studio run-through", which seems to be correct, as least in my ears) - a different take altogther, not just a shortened edit of the "long" version that appears on No. 2.

The long version from No. 2, supposedly the "definitive version" as sanctioned by the band is currently only available on More Hot Rocks (as a bonus track from 2002 onwards) and the No. 2 HDTracks download. The short version is currently available on "Now" and despite being the "raw studio run-through first issued by mistake", regarded as the "common" version nowadays due to the now decades-long absence of "No. 2" on physical media.

Your cassette take is the "Now"-version, however, it sounds considerably brighter than on the current "Now"-CD, remastered in 2002.

Goodwin/Pacholski explain the sound difference in their "The ROLLING STONES London-Era on CD/Remasters Review FAQ":

"Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
reverts to the short version, as well, although this is where the notable exception comes
in; perhaps due to a mastering and/or source tape difference, the sound is quite different
between the old London and new ABKCO releases. The old London version is a bit thin
but has a lot of top end, while the new ABKCO version is fuller but has a dull/phasey top
end."

Hope this helps!

Having played the different versions simultaneously up to each other, I can hereby confirm, that there DO Exist (at least) 3 different versions of ENSTL ! ! !

The version on German LONDON-"NOW" is simply a different take than the version
on ABCKO 2002 DSD - "NOW"
(The Old-ABCKO-"NOW", used the long "No.2"-version, - although labeled 2.57)

They are very much in the same "style" - but different takes !

I have NEVER noticed ! - as I have never thought to compare listening of those two releases . . . . Thanks a lot to DandelionPowderman for bringing this up !

The "cassette-version" however, - seems to be the same take as used on the
2002 DSD-release of "NOW"- but I´m sure with a "different sound", - as the cassette was released 1986.

WOW, - Now we "just" have to compare to Mono-vinyl-"NOW" - and
Electronically Reprocessed Stereo-vinyl-"NOW". . . and . . and . . .

Won´t this ever stop ?drinking smiley

(Just to be more precise : I have played the "cassette-version" up with the
German London CD "NOW", - and they are different ! - and the cassette-version
up with the 2002 ABKCO DSD-"NOW", - and they seem identical.)

Henrik,

I'm still not sure. I've checked my London CD and it's still the same short "raw" version as on ABKCO 2002 DSD and Mr. Powderman's cassette. However, considerable sound differences CAN be misleading by giving the impression of different takes, but it's still possible that you have a different London CD pressing with a true different take (not just sound or even mix). Can you make your London version available on Youtube or somewhere else?

Alimente ! -
I think you are right ! - IT IS ALL THE SAME TAKE ! - so please carry my former info´s to the grave !

It´s actually not that easy to make simultaneous listening, - from computer and
Hi-Fi setup, - but having worked hard, for an hour or two, - using my 2 good
ears, - I do admit that it is all the same take ! - with HUGE differences in mix and production !
Regarding the "cassette-version" - I am pretty sure,- what I can hear from the uTube-upload, - that it derives from the vinyl "NOW" - Electronically Reprocessed Stereo-Release, - which for sure makes it sound "different" . . . . .
I have acquired a copy of the cassette-tape, - and will come back with a
"listening-report" later !

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 24, 2016 12:29

Don't like this song at all. Any version.

Rod

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 25, 2016 01:39

HenrikBB
alimente
HenrikBB
alimente
DandelionPowderman
No. The regular long version is on No 2 (5:00) and a shortened version of that one (3:00) is on the Now vinyl release. This is a different version.

On the regular version there isn't as much falsetto singing, different guitars and Keith's backing/harmony isn't as audible.

Thanks for your reply and thanks for posting the "cassette take". However, at first glance I still believe that there are only two version of ENSTL:

The "long" version on The Rolling Stone No. 2 (5:00) with that thumping bass line and the "short" version on "Now" reportedly issued by mistake (3:00), which sounds like an earlier take, rawer and the arrangement of course not yet fully developed (I seem to recall that Roy Carr described it as a "live in the studio run-through", which seems to be correct, as least in my ears) - a different take altogther, not just a shortened edit of the "long" version that appears on No. 2.

The long version from No. 2, supposedly the "definitive version" as sanctioned by the band is currently only available on More Hot Rocks (as a bonus track from 2002 onwards) and the No. 2 HDTracks download. The short version is currently available on "Now" and despite being the "raw studio run-through first issued by mistake", regarded as the "common" version nowadays due to the now decades-long absence of "No. 2" on physical media.

Your cassette take is the "Now"-version, however, it sounds considerably brighter than on the current "Now"-CD, remastered in 2002.

Goodwin/Pacholski explain the sound difference in their "The ROLLING STONES London-Era on CD/Remasters Review FAQ":

"Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
reverts to the short version, as well, although this is where the notable exception comes
in; perhaps due to a mastering and/or source tape difference, the sound is quite different
between the old London and new ABKCO releases. The old London version is a bit thin
but has a lot of top end, while the new ABKCO version is fuller but has a dull/phasey top
end."

Hope this helps!

Having played the different versions simultaneously up to each other, I can hereby confirm, that there DO Exist (at least) 3 different versions of ENSTL ! ! !

The version on German LONDON-"NOW" is simply a different take than the version
on ABCKO 2002 DSD - "NOW"
(The Old-ABCKO-"NOW", used the long "No.2"-version, - although labeled 2.57)

They are very much in the same "style" - but different takes !

I have NEVER noticed ! - as I have never thought to compare listening of those two releases . . . . Thanks a lot to DandelionPowderman for bringing this up !

The "cassette-version" however, - seems to be the same take as used on the
2002 DSD-release of "NOW"- but I´m sure with a "different sound", - as the cassette was released 1986.

WOW, - Now we "just" have to compare to Mono-vinyl-"NOW" - and
Electronically Reprocessed Stereo-vinyl-"NOW". . . and . . and . . .

Won´t this ever stop ?drinking smiley

(Just to be more precise : I have played the "cassette-version" up with the
German London CD "NOW", - and they are different ! - and the cassette-version
up with the 2002 ABKCO DSD-"NOW", - and they seem identical.)

Henrik,

I'm still not sure. I've checked my London CD and it's still the same short "raw" version as on ABKCO 2002 DSD and Mr. Powderman's cassette. However, considerable sound differences CAN be misleading by giving the impression of different takes, but it's still possible that you have a different London CD pressing with a true different take (not just sound or even mix). Can you make your London version available on Youtube or somewhere else?

Alimente ! -
I think you are right ! - IT IS ALL THE SAME TAKE ! - so please carry my former info´s to the grave !

It´s actually not that easy to make simultaneous listening, - from computer and
Hi-Fi setup, - but having worked hard, for an hour or two, - using my 2 good
ears, - I do admit that it is all the same take ! - with HUGE differences in mix and production !
Regarding the "cassette-version" - I am pretty sure,- what I can hear from the uTube-upload, - that it derives from the vinyl "NOW" - Electronically Reprocessed Stereo-Release, - which for sure makes it sound "different" . . . . .
I have acquired a copy of the cassette-tape, - and will come back with a
"listening-report" later !

Sorry I lost it...you mean all versions are the same of ENSTL?

Date: April 25, 2016 01:56

They recorded two different versions and edited one of them into a long and a shortened version. People have been talking about different things here...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 25, 2016 02:40

DandelionPowderman
They recorded two different versions and edited one of them into a long and a shortened version. People have been talking about different things here...

I've yet to come across a "shortened version" of the "long" (UK No. 2) version (with the thumping bass line). ABKCO surely added confusion to the matter by doing what HenrikBB described above:

"The Old-ABCKO-"NOW", used the long "No.2"-version, - although labeled 2.57"

However, what you described is right for "Out Of Time" - long version, shortened edit, plus an entirely different version, the demo for Chris Farlowe, released on Metamorphosis.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-25 02:42 by alimente.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 25, 2016 03:10

Complete recording sessions 1962-2012 has only 2 takes
2 November 1964 RCA Studios, Hollywood, USA.
S163. Down Home Girl (4.08) (187)
S164. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love II (5.00) (188)
S165. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love I (2.57) (188)
S166. Pain In My Heart (2.05) (189)
S167. Heart Of Stone II (2.51) (190) (a) Stereo Version - (2.59)
S168. Hitch Hike (2.26) (191)
S169. Oh, Baby (We Got A Good Thing Going) (2.09) (192)
[www.stonessessions.com]

We can discuss that the book is not 100% correct. But still - here is a sourse. Nico Zentgraf has the very same info too.

The only reasonable explanation is that we are talking here about differen mastering. I.e. 'fake' stereo could cause funny effects. Like canceling of instruments due to phase shift ect. Unless one will provide a reference or proof of the 3rd recorded version and documented explanation how it ends up on casette.

Date: April 25, 2016 04:31

ironbelly
Complete recording sessions 1962-2012 has only 2 takes
2 November 1964 RCA Studios, Hollywood, USA.
S163. Down Home Girl (4.08) (187)
S164. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love II (5.00) (188)
S165. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love I (2.57) (188)
S166. Pain In My Heart (2.05) (189)
S167. Heart Of Stone II (2.51) (190) (a) Stereo Version - (2.59)
S168. Hitch Hike (2.26) (191)
S169. Oh, Baby (We Got A Good Thing Going) (2.09) (192)
[www.stonessessions.com]

We can discuss that the book is not 100% correct. But still - here is a sourse. Nico Zentgraf has the very same info too.

The only reasonable explanation is that we are talking here about differen mastering. I.e. 'fake' stereo could cause funny effects. Like canceling of instruments due to phase shift ect. Unless one will provide a reference or proof of the 3rd recorded version and documented explanation how it ends up on casette.

Thanks for your info, ironbelly. Yes, I think all this confusion arises from the common mix-up of the terms "take", "mix", "edit" and even "version".

However, concerning early 60's recordings it is relatively easy to distinguish between different takes - due to the limited recording tracks in the studio. Later, when more recording tracks on a tape became available, things can get more and more confusing - it's possible to have the same basic track, but different lead vocals and further overdubs - just one example.

Date: April 25, 2016 07:39

NICOS
Sorry I lost it...you mean all versions are the same of ENSTL?

No, not at all. There are two versions of the song (long version/short version) which are entirely different takes. The long version was also made available in a true stereo mix on some (nowadays) rare pressings.

Date: April 25, 2016 10:40

alimente
DandelionPowderman

I've yet to come across a "shortened version" of the "long" (UK No. 2) version (with the thumping bass line). ABKCO surely added confusion to the matter by doing what HenrikBB described above:

"The Old-ABCKO-"NOW", used the long "No.2"-version, - although labeled 2.57"

However, what you described is right for "Out Of Time" - long version, shortened edit, plus an entirely different version, the demo for Chris Farlowe, released on Metamorphosis.

I have listened through all the discs I have now, except for this one:

I must have been confused by the 2:57-labelling of the original long version on various copies of NOW (I have four), and somehow taken it for granted that this one was faded out earlier.

To add to the confusion, I had heard the other take (the real short alternative version) before, but the eq/mastering/fake stereo from the cassette version made instruments disappear, voices that weren't audible become prominent in the mix etc.

Sorry for messing up this thread. You were definitely right, alimente smiling smiley

Date: April 25, 2016 17:38

Ah, it's all good, no need to feel sorry for anything, Dandy! Discussions like these spice up life when all of a sudden one goes back to all the different pressings of a certain song in search of a "holy grail" that supposedly escaped one's attention for decades!

Thinking about it, this makes me feel that it's high time for ABKCO to re-release their Stones catalog with tons of bonus tracks (outtakes, different takes, true stereo mixes) which would give us food for discussions for years to come!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 25, 2016 18:27

alimente
Ah, it's all good, no need to feel sorry for anything, Dandy! Discussions like these spice up life when all of a sudden one goes back to all the different pressings of a certain song in search of a "holy grail" that supposedly escaped one's attention for decades!

Thinking about it, this makes me feel that it's high time for ABKCO to re-release their Stones catalog with tons of bonus tracks (outtakes, different takes, true stereo mixes) which would give us food for discussions for years to come!

thumbs up

I think GreenLady should add this one to the TrackTalk: Index thread "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" Part Two................

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: April 25, 2016 18:45

I prefer the longer version and in stereo from the maxi single released 1971

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 25, 2016 19:36

tomcasagranda
The Solomon Burke original. The Stones covers do nothing for me, I'm afraid.

Does that include "Not Fade Away?"

Date: April 25, 2016 19:45

loog droog
tomcasagranda
The Solomon Burke original. The Stones covers do nothing for me, I'm afraid.

Does that include "Not Fade Away?"

Or:

It’s All Over Now
Carol
Little Red Rooster
Mona
Around And Around

and others... winking smiley

Date: April 25, 2016 20:00

Down The Road Apiece
Route 66
Cops And Robbers
If You Need Me
Time Is On My Side
You Can't Catch Me
That's How Strong My Love Is
Let It Rock

and the list goes on and on...

Date: April 25, 2016 21:07

Little Queenie
I Don't Know Why
Still A Fool
Imagination
Love In Vain
Stop Breakin Down
King Bee
Shake Your Hips

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: April 26, 2016 00:08

Marhsall
Which studio version of 'Everybody Needs Somebody to Love' do you prefer?

It was released on 'The Rolling Stones No. 2' w/ a great bouncy bass line & on 'The Rolling Stones, NOW!' w/ a looser jam feel that sounds so raw & great.

Though on 'NOW!' It was misreleased as the wrong take.

I don't know how the wrong take was released but I'm glad we have it.

The version I saw with the Stones at The Wiltern w/ Solomon!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 26, 2016 03:13

Oh Man! Sweet Stones50!
Wish I could have been there!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 26, 2016 09:26

it exists a French 45 from 71 with both versions

it was "offert par Antar" meaning offered when you went to the gas station. So, it's not a rare item winking smiley

does similar 45 exist in other countries ?

Date: April 26, 2016 10:09

That's a cool EP, Jean-Gab! Haven't seen it before. thumbs up

Date: April 26, 2016 10:17

cool and cheap winking smiley

Date: April 26, 2016 10:25

Is it the first cover ever with Keith playing a telecaster?

Date: April 26, 2016 19:41

it's written in French "défense de fumer" in front of the stage, "not allowed to smoke". Thus, the picture has been taken in France or at least in French speaking place.
I wonder who's for the drum kit behind Charlie ?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 26, 2016 20:05

djgab
it's written in French "défense de fumer" in front of the stage, "not allowed to smoke". Thus, the picture has been taken in France or at least in French speaking place.
I wonder who's for the drum kit behind Charlie ?

"Not allowed to smoke", although Brian is smoking on stage. grinning smiley

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 27, 2016 00:26

This is the most interesting thread I've read here for a long time.
Believe it or not today I listened to the itunes 'everybody needs somebody' for the first time. It was of the 'Now!' LP. I'd never heard that before.
Still have to get used to it. I am used to the longer version, which was on my Decca Stones Story No. 2.
Then I opened up the site here and I found this thread. Right there on page 1.
Still have to read this completely.
Did I read somebody saying "Its all the same take"... Really? But it's so different.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 27, 2016 00:35

djgab
it exists a French 45 from 71 with both versions

it was "offert par Antar" meaning offered when you went to the gas station. So, it's not a rare item winking smiley

does similar 45 exist in other countries ?
So these are the only two versions and that agrees with the Zentgraf info?
Additionally there exists a recording of the long take being seven seconds longer and extending into 5:07? With somebody screaming something at the end?
Beautiful EP!

Date: April 27, 2016 00:46

I didn't notice that Brian is smoking eye popping smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 27, 2016 00:50

Whale
This is the most interesting thread I've read here for a long time.
Believe it or not today I listened to the itunes 'everybody needs somebody' for the first time. It was of the 'Now!' LP. I'd never heard that before.
Still have to get used to it. I am used to the longer version, which was on my Decca Stones Story No. 2.
Then I opened up the site here and I found this thread. Right there on page 1.
Still have to read this completely.
Did I read somebody saying "Its all the same take"... Really? But it's so different.
There were two different takes.
1 long one as on No.2
2 short one with strande dynamics as on Now!

The whole thing here arise from the fact that there were different mixes and mastering approaches for those takes. I.e. long one exists in true mono and true wide stereo. On CD for mono short one there are MFSL/London mastering from 1988, MSFL/London Japanese EQ-zed from 1989, old ABKCO from 1986, new ABKCO 2002 SACD remaster....
So, you know, this is a mess. As it usually happen to early Stones records.

The deeper you dig the better bank accountant and psychologist you'll need winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home