Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Knebworth 76
Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:57

Look closely at Keef in the video. How he kept from falling over is amazing. He was totally gone. There are parts where Mick is bent over and staring up at him to see if he was just going to pass out. Funny stuff. Probably late trying to get Keef standing upright.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 24, 2005 01:47

I like how Keith quotes bits of Monkey Man during Nothing From Nothing. Cool!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:06

i think it's funny during Country Honk when Mick asks Keith soemthing like" You don't remember it? You played on it.You can learn it!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:11

From memory (!), wasn't he talking to Ronnie? Making fun of the fact that Ronnie wasn't there. That's what i thought at the time anyway.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:14

Stone Walls - yeah, that's my recollection - but it's been a few years since I last listened to the show - it's not exactly in my "heavy roatation."

Date: August 24, 2005 02:24

No. But Nothing from Nothing is good! (Anjd i'd never noticed Keith speaking on it!)

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:27

not speaking - but playing the Monkey Man riff - he also does this on a song at the Woody '74 show....

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:28

Yeah, he's talking to Ronnie, saying "Don't you remember it, oh you didn't play on it" etc which I imagine was a semi-reheased stage "joke" though the state they were in it might have been spontaneous. Talking of which, you can see Jagger on the video coming from the back of the stage licking his finger. According to Tony Sanchez (from memory) there were lines of coke laid out at the back on one side which Jagger kept going to and smack on the other side which was obviously more Keith's domain.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:34

Too bad he;s saying it Ronnie..........would have been funnier if it was Keith.

is this the same show Led Zep played at?

Date: August 24, 2005 02:37

T&A, I remember that at the '74 Ronnie Kilburn show, i almost went nuts when t5hey broke into M-Man riff, thinking that Jagger would appear! Most people didn't react cos they were mainly Faces fans. Do you have a boot? (I believe that one of them was partially filmed).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-24 02:46 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 24, 2005 02:44

I think Zeppelin only played Knebworth in 1979 Cafaro.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2005 03:46

Zeppelin played two shows in 1979 - 4th and 11th August, although their attendance for each show was less than the Stones' one (but more when you accumulated them both if you get my drift)

The 4/8/79 show is the one featured on their official DVD)

The New Barbarians were the main support act at the 11/8/79 show. That was the last NB show ever and also Zep's final UK performance

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 24, 2005 04:15

If you listen very close, after ATPTB a guitar tech (or a Stone)
asks "do you have another one?' meaning a guitar lead (cord), as Keith's
had cut out during the song. It cut out on a few others, too.
Ronnie played really well at this gig, I thought.
Also, Wild Horses was played in the key of A, rather than G,
giving it a slightly different feel.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 24, 2005 05:44

wild horses from knebworth is some of ronnies best work, if not the best

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 24, 2005 06:21

I was there and it was my first ever Stones concert. It was, as often in England, cold and muddy and we were all very f****ed up and pissed off at waiting as the Stones flew over us in a helicopter and then took a very long time to come on stage as they were very f***cked up too! So it was hard to get into total ecstasy when they did come on. Still they were great and made up for it at Candelstick in '82 and since then have only got better and better. Can't wait for the first of my seven shows this tour! i don't care what they play, I'm in heaven! No money left to buy food, but still in heaven!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 24, 2005 10:43

I was also at knebworth and ended up spraining my ankle on the friday night and ended up sitting at the back of the crowd for the first half of the show and then thinking f*** this im going down the front and probably the closest i seen the stones on stage and what a difference it made as at the time it looked scary & satanic and thats the only way i can describe it.

Im sure the crowd was around 250,000 and was a record at the time and not sure if it has been broken in the uk.

The good old days.

Posted by: tarmon ()
Date: August 24, 2005 10:47

The Stones were late because 10 cc, what the hell were they doing there?, were completely unprofessional and hadn't checked out for sound etc, the Stones being late was a run on from this. One of the things I remember most tho' were the toilets!! As skynrrd would say Ooooo..ooooo that SMELL!!!!

Date: August 24, 2005 11:04

sarahunwin,

it was NOT cold and muddy! What were you on?!

It was bloody hot and extremely dry. The next morning was grey and damp.

Date: August 24, 2005 11:16

I must admit i was a bit mystified with the cold & muddy statement as i remember it was a lovely boiling hot day and misty the next morning but that might have been the booze thou.

I also found £20 quid on the floor which had a bit of value in those days as well.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 24, 2005 12:08

According to Spanish Tony (Sanchez) who broke with the Stones that evening, he didn't deliver the usual drugs before the show and that reflected the whole show together with the soundproblems...

Date: August 24, 2005 12:22

So, he delivered worse drugs?

odean73,

so glad you found my £20. See you next year. Hope you invested it wisely for me.

Posted by: smith ()
Date: August 24, 2005 12:27

The last NB-show took place in Detroit in 1980 :-)

Ed

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 24, 2005 12:39

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, he delivered worse drugs?
>
> odean73,
>
> so glad you found my £20. See you next year. Hope
> you invested it wisely for me.

No drugs at all so he said >>

Date: August 24, 2005 14:15

Four stone walls i have invested it wisely as i am a multi millionare and currently residing in the bahamas and a good friend of mick jagger.

If you can remember the serial number i will make investigations.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:29

smith Wrote:
> The last NB-show took place in Detroit in 1980
> :-)
>
> Ed

Thanks Ed. They did indeed do a show in 1980 (Milwaukee apparently, according to Nico Zentgraf [www.nzentgraf.de] )

No Keith however. Johnny Lee Schell was the other guitarist. Knebworth was the last NB show that Keith played at

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:40

Wow! There was one more NB show??? With Johnny L Shell? What about Stanley Clarke? And Mac, Bobby and Ziggy?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:40

Gazza Wrote:
> They did indeed do a show in 1980 (Milwaukee apparently, according to Nico Zentgraf). No Keith however. Johnny Lee Schell was the other guitarist. Knebworth was the last NB show that Keith played at

I asked Stonesdoug some time ago if he knew more about the 1980 New Barbarians show. Here is his reply: "A Milwaukee promoter was suing the Stones and as part of the settlement, the Barbarians agreed to play on January 13,1980. Neither Keith nor Mac showed up at this concert and fans rioted."

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home