Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Memo From Turner Question
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:44

The liner notes on The Rolling Stones Singles Collection says this track was released as a UK single in 1970. What did it say on the record label? Did it say "The Rolling Stones" or did it say "Mick Jagger"? Was it credited to Jagger-Richard?

Strictly speaking, the London Years Singles Collection should have ended with Honky Tonk Women/You Can't Always Get What You Want, but there are eight "bonus" tracks, including Memo, BS, WH, four tracks from Metamorphosis that were released as singles (in 1975), and, on a technicality, SFTD, which, as an afterthought, I suppose, was released as a UK single in 1976.

Re: Memo From Turner Question
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:49

I remember buying this single 45 vinyl with original cover in Italy when I was a little kid. I had ni idea what it was from. I was already a Stonesfan (from birth) but still very green. The cover had a soloshot of Jagger with the blackish hair. That middle part that he had in Hyde Park and also in part of the film (Performance). It was billed as a Mick Jagger solo single. But credits listed Jagger/Richards.
And that was the version with Winwood,Capaldi and ...was it Ry Cooder?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:56

Thanks. Yeah, it was Ry Cooder. The label probably had it Jagger-Richard, without the "s". His real name is Richards, of course, but for a long time he dropped the "s" and went by Keith Richard. I'm not exactly sure when he started using the "s" again. I think it might have been sometime during the Some Girls period. Anyone know more about this?

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:07

There are 2 versions, one on single and one on Metamorphosis?? which one is with Ry Cooder and which one with Keith?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:40

The Memo From Turner version is with Ry Cooder and the Metamorhosis features our Keith and Mick Taylor. Great version with Cooder!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:48

tatters..I see your Hidden but if your interested email me and I can send you a whole page of how the Memo track was pieced together...too much to type out here.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: August 24, 2005 01:47

I knew the single version had Ry Cooder and no Keith, but I believed that the Metamorphosis vsn. only featured session musicians. It sounds too lame to have Keith & MT on board.
I heard Keith was so angry over the too real Mick/Anita sex scenes that he wouldn't have anything to do with the song. Although the song is credited to Jagger/Richard I'm sure I've read that it was exclusively Mick's creation (a fantastic one it is too, up there with the very best Stones material).

Date: August 24, 2005 01:50

Hmmmm. Perhaps I'm thinking of another version Tseverin. I have one that clearly features Mick Taylor and Keith. I haven't heard Metamorphosis in so long I may have just assumed it was the same version.

Date: August 24, 2005 02:01

I only know of 2 versions but there may well be more out there. I might have been misled about who played on the Metamorphosis version; I've asked Rockman to send me that page which might shed some light.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 24, 2005 03:32

I think you mean a version on "Metamorphisis" and another on the London Years set(not Memo From Turner). Is this right? Does it matter? Is there a soundtrack from Performance? Does it matter?

Date: August 24, 2005 04:15

I meant the 7" single version which is the same as the soundtrack version (& presumably the London Years set) and the 'Metamorhosis' version which is different & wildly inferior.
"Does it matter?" Yes and no. Yes, in terms of how a fantastic record came into being; no when compared to famine, war & disease. It's all relative innit?

Date: August 24, 2005 04:20

There are three main versions. The metamorphosis version, the single and another boot version. The 3rd most obscurew one id also excellent.

Date: August 24, 2005 06:25

Where can this third version be found Chelsea & does it feature Keith & Mick Taylor?

Date: August 24, 2005 07:20

tseverin I think Taylor is nowhere on MFT. It's Al Kopper.
There seem to be only two basic basic version. Third version and fourth although they sound very different have either different vox or added oD guitars.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2005 07:25

Tseverin....if you study the 3rd page I sent, you will see the different versions and where to find them on CD.

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2005 07:37

Keith and Mick are on a version I have. I'll look it up and let you know which record it's on...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:22

Who plays the excellent "fuzz" bass on the version that's on London Years (i.e. version without Keith)?

I love that version which grooves much more than the Metamorphosis version.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:31

tatters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. Yeah, it was Ry Cooder. The label probably
> had it Jagger-Richard, without the "s". His real
> name is Richards, of course, but for a long time
> he dropped the "s" and went by Keith Richard. I'm
> not exactly sure when he started using the "s"
> again. I think it might have been sometime during
> the Some Girls period. Anyone know more about
> this?

He added the 's' to his last name after the Toronto trials,as sort of a fresch start in 1979, the benefit for the blind concert was the first gig with his original name used again.

Date: August 24, 2005 14:37

Not sure who,plays the fuzzbass. Nico's site lists the Ry Cooder version with "unidentified studio musicians".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home