Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones versus New York Dolls.
Posted by: rodes ()
Date: April 16, 2016 18:16

David Johansen and Johnny Thunders clones?

Re: Stones versus New York Dolls.
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 16, 2016 19:05

Who´s cloning best?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 16, 2016 19:17

Obviously, the Stones came first. The Dolls as well as Tyler & Perry seemed to be copying the Stones' mid seventies image.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 16, 2016 19:28

Is this a trick question?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 16, 2016 20:41

the Dolls were a phenomenal local band that personified NYC downtown culture and eccentricity....they were the Bowery and Soho and West Village and Tribeca all rolled up into one with make up and glitter ...awesome.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 16, 2016 20:44

Rip This
the Dolls were a phenomenal local band that personified NYC downtown culture and eccentricity....they were the Bowery and Soho and West Village and Tribeca all rolled up into one with make up and glitter ...awesome.[/quote

deleted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-16 20:55 by RockinJive.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 16, 2016 20:55

TooTough
Who´s cloning best?

Aerosmith are clones?
This is funny, really.
I don't think that the term Clones is the right one.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 16, 2016 21:28

Rip This
the Dolls were a phenomenal local band that personified NYC downtown culture and eccentricity....they were the Bowery and Soho and West Village and Tribeca all rolled up into one with make up and glitter ...awesome.

Outside of NYC who cares though? I liked the Dolls but what did they have like 2 albums? They weren't really groundbreaking. Stones, Stooges, Bowie, Alice Cooper all came before. Just MHO, don't be offended. I have this discussion about NYC all the time in relation to the f@#&ing Yankees. The rest of the country could care less. Peace.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 16, 2016 22:49

"Ugh, the New York Dolls! What a load of rubbish!" — Mick (interviewed by Nick Kent).

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 16, 2016 22:56

The Dolls were just before punk, glam rock,and heavy metal took off. They are a really hot band that I got to see in Philly in 72 at the Merriam theatre. They let fans stand in the wings of the stage as they really rocked out. The Dolls had punk swagger and attitude except they did it in really tight women's clothes. When they came on the scene they were a breath of fresh air playing real rock and roll, which many bands at that time were doing standard rock songs with long guitar solos. The original band members with the exception of David Johannsen and Sylvan all died, mostly overdosing. They reformed again in 2004 and released three more studio albums that were really good in addition to worldwide touring.Were the same bog time as the Stones? No way. Morrisey put them in a festival show and that's when they reformed. Not sure of they are doing anything now but they were q major influence in the NYC underground that achieved some recognition. There was also a big rivalry between them and the Sex Pistols.Many folks don't know or remember them but many of us do.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 16, 2016 23:08

Ok lets compare caviar to dog meat.What a pointless post.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 16, 2016 23:36

The New York Dolls debut is one of the most perfect albums ever laid down.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 17, 2016 00:03

Dan

As far as what?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 17, 2016 00:11

They had broken up by the time I discovered them, but I came to love their first album, used to play it on my overnight college radio shift. It helped keep me awake and earned me a nickname. grinning smiley

As for influence, if you believe Wikipedia:

"According to the Encyclopedia of Popular Music (1995), the New York Dolls predated the punk and glam metal movements, and were "one of the most influential rock bands of the last 20 years".[3] They influenced rock groups such as the Sex Pistols, Kiss, the Ramones, Guns N' Roses, the Damned, and The Smiths..."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2016 00:37

Thunders trying to be Keef is one of the saddest comedies one could ever watch ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 17, 2016 00:47

crholmstrom
Rip This

Outside of NYC who cares though? I liked the Dolls but what did they have like 2 albums? They weren't really groundbreaking. Stones, Stooges, Bowie, Alice Cooper all came before. Just MHO, don't be offended. I have this discussion about NYC all the time in relation to the f@#&ing Yankees. The rest of the country could care less. Peace.

well outside of NYC who cares or matters anyway?

Date: April 17, 2016 01:35

Love the Dolls. They were pure to the point of self sabotage. I think that is why they didn't get big - they were their own worst enemy.
And there was no rivalry between Sex Pistols and Dolls; they didn't even cross each other's path. Dolls were already done in '75, when Pistols had yet to be born.
Aerosmith and Dolls rocked side by side in late 70's. But I have always heard they were good friends, and respected each other. The Mick/Keith thing...I think the Stones were just the first. Thing is it is part of rock'n roll hard-wiring; it's like an archetype - one must have these parts in place to become a true rockin bad boy band of rebels and never-do-wells.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 17, 2016 06:01

Aerosmith says they were more influenced by the Yardbirds than the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 17, 2016 06:12

boogaloojef
Aerosmith says they were more influenced by the Yardbirds than the Rolling Stones.

Which is quite obvious if you listen to music.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 17, 2016 10:31

RockinJive
Dan

As far as what?

As far as rock 'n' roll albums go. I'm with Dan. And as much as I was initially skeptical about the reunion that began in '04 (how could there be no Thunders or Nolan?) I ended up seeing 'em four times and it was insanely great every time.

Date: April 17, 2016 12:06

Dan
boogaloojef

Which is quite obvious if you listen to music.

smileys with beer

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 17, 2016 13:59

Who made who?

and I wonder what the nick name was...

Date: April 17, 2016 14:30

boogaloojef

Steven Tyler says that. Visually they were obviously more than inspired by the Stones. They also did Walking The Dog on their first album.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 17, 2016 17:33

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Steven Tyler says that. Visually they were obviously more than inspired by the Stones. They also did Walking The Dog on their first album.

Visually, I always felt that Aerosmith were very influenced by the Stones appearance in 72-75 era; they always reminded me of the way the Stones looked on the 75 tour.

Date: April 17, 2016 18:14

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

In their first album you can listen to more influence of the Aerosmith.
I think that Movin'Out has got something of Captain Beefheart.
Sorry for the OT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-17 18:15 by pepganzo.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 17, 2016 21:57

Love Johnny Thunders esp So Alone solo album ...still gets played now and again. New York Doll too

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 17, 2016 22:04

Bizarrely - or, perhaps not -, The New York Dolls were Morrissey's absolute favourite. In fact, he even ran a U.K.-based fan-club and would write numerous letters to the New Musical Express paper, proclaiming his own fandom and their greatness.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 17, 2016 22:49

Jerry Nolan was a wonderful drummer with a unique sense of groove. He really flourished with the "Heartbreakers". Any live document from 78-79 is worth your attention...

Date: April 18, 2016 03:46

dcba
Jerry Nolan was a wonderful drummer with a unique sense of groove. He really flourished with the "Heartbreakers". Any live document from 78-79 is worth your attention...
There is something about those left handed drummers...

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 18, 2016 04:48

Palace Revolution 2000
dcba
There is something about those left handed drummers...

I agree wholeheartedly with both these observations.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home