Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Bigger Bust?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 23, 2005 03:51

Well, it seems to me that if their new cd with 16 tracks was so good, and Mick and Keith went "back to their roots".
Then how come they only played 4 songs from it? Instead they gave us the same songs that they have been playing live for the last 20 years. Give me a break
"Out of control" Hearbreaker, satisfaction, and so on.
Maybe they know that their new stuff sucks, and they have to go back to the warhorses. its a shame that the Stones have become. A parody of themselves.
And as l wrote before wait till the cd is online and get it for free. Don't give this greedy bastards any more money.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: A Bigger Bust?
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 23, 2005 04:19

Considering the album has not been released,and they played 4 tracks from it at the opening show tells me they are very happy with this record.

Lets face it..ONNYA is not known unless you are a big stones fan who watched the press conference, INfamy-no one knows. Back of my hand is only known if you are a huge fan. Casual fans are not going on fan sites daily like us, and downloading new songs.
So they played 3 songs that 2/3 of the audience had never heard..Thats brave in my opinion. Rough Justice is the only one casual fans would know of the new tracks.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 23, 2005 04:31

So far as playing the new material I'd have to agree no casual fan would know the tunes played last night.

And as it being their first night of the new tour I wouldn't see them playing the whole damn thing either!

Interesting to note that almost everything was played live off the "Bridges to Babylon" album. And that was not as strong as the current album i.m.h.o.

So far as them being a parody of themselves. I stated in an earlier post I wish Keith would stop all the "vouging" B.S. AND ACTUALLY PLAY HIS GUITAR when he sings and not "strike a pose" it's just dumb. and embarrassing too!

So I can see both sides of the coin here.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: August 23, 2005 05:11

I was actually shocked they played 4 on Opening Night. If you recall on the B2B tour with a new album they played only one new sony ASMB. All 4 rocked last night.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 23, 2005 05:36

They'll play more as the tour progresses. Remember for the Baylon Tour at first they only played "Anybody Seen...". "OOC and SOM became showsoppers later on. "They also added "Flip the Switch" every show, "Lowdown" a couple times, "Already Over me", "Juiced' and both Keith tunes. That's 9 tunes.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 23, 2005 05:50

ROPENI, what an argument! The Stones are “a parody of themselves” because they played only (?!) 4 new songs at Fenway!

My friend, sorry, but you wrote the most rediculous topic I have seen on this board! Let me explain why, if you are able to understand:

1971, 4th, March. First show of the tour, Newcstle. The Stones play only 4 songs taken from the Sticky Fingers album. So SF must be a bad album and the Stones “a parody of themselves”.

1972, 3rd June. First show of the tour, Vancouver. The Stones play 9 songs taken from “Exile” so the album must be good! Or just passable?

1973, 1st September. First show of the European tour, Vienna. The Stones play 5 songs taken from “Coats Head Soup”. So the album must be bad and the Stons “a parody of themselves” once again.

1975, 1st June. First show of the tour, Baton Rouge. The Stones played 6 songs taken from “IORR” (1974). So the album must be bad or just a mediocre one.

1976, 28 April. First show of the tour, Frankfurt. The Stones play only 4 songs taken from “Black and Blue”. So the album must be horrible and the Stones, as usual, “a parody of themselves”.

1978, 10 June, First show of the tour, Lakeland. The Stones play 6 songs taken from “Some Girls”. So the album must be bad or just mediocre, once again.

1981, 25th September. First show of the tour, Philadelphia. The Stones play 7 songs taken from “Tatoo You”. So the album must be passable, mediocre.

Come on, tell me know the big difference is that “ABB” includes 16 songs and not 10 or 11 and you ’ll became most rediculous than you are now. Because, if you haven’t noticed, every few years the Stones have to play some more songs from the recent past, not only tracks of the last album. Now they play songs from 1997 and 1994, in 1989/90 played songs realised in 1986 and 1983, etc.

And now a quiz: Remind me of a Stones stadium gig done without the most of the worhorses or all of that stuff (JJF, BS, Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, HTW, etc). So, ACCORDING TO YOUR “WISE” THOUGHTS ALWAYS THE STONES WERE “A PARODY OF THEMSELVES”!

Hey, naggers who hate the Stones but make a feint of “fans” on this board, hey you, how can be so boring and meanless? Change atleast your words. “Parody of themselves”, what an originality!

Posted by: johang ()
Date: August 23, 2005 05:56

At least no one is calling them the Knowling Bones like in 78, so lets just see how the next shows evolve, but I doudt the BORING setlist will change much.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: August 23, 2005 05:59

I'm curious to know how the arena setlist will play out. I'm guessing Moonlight Mile, Worried About You and possibly Sway make it into the indoor setlist.

I personally could care less about a huge stadium stage with pyrotechnics.

As for the opening night setlist...fairly predictable. If it was your first Stones show, I suppose you got your money's worth. However, since I was lucky enough to see them in '72, 75. 78, 81, 94, 97, 99, '02 and soon Oct '05 I have seen them play Bitch, HTW, DooDooDoo(Hearbreaker), Shattered, 19th Nervous Breakdown, All Down The Line, Rip This Joint, Let It Rock, Sister Morphine, Memory Motel, Crazy Mama, Thru and Thru among other rarities.

I am looking forward to hearing the new tunes. hopefully, My Sweet Neo-Con will be one of them.

Are the Stones a parody..of course they are...look at Macca, The Eagles, Elton John, all of them play their warhorses. The Beach Boys were the first parody band, if you can remember back that far.

Be that as it may, I'm sure this will be a financially successful tour.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: August 23, 2005 06:03

First show's setlist from 78....

[www.rocksoff.org]

6 new songs off the new some girls album.......only 2 more than last nite's show...not that big a difference people....and not as big a setlist either

1. Let it rock
2. All down the line
3. honky tonk women
4. star star
5. Whip comes down
6. Miss you
7. beast of burden
8. respectable
9. far away eyes
10. love in vain
11. shattered
12. tumbling dice
13. happy
14. brown sugar
15. jumpin jack flash
16. street fighting man

Posted by: johang ()
Date: August 23, 2005 06:10

But look half the set list from this 78 set list was played last nite, I guess that is part of why fans complain about it and the fact they been repeated ever since.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 23, 2005 06:32

look its great they are on tour again , all i ask is more rarities in the arena shows thats all, i have been waiting a long time to hear some of these nuggets
we all know the list by now , no need to post them

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: August 23, 2005 07:27

Don't forget that Miss You was number 1 or 2 on the charts, Shattered was all over the radio and the album was number 1. Lets give these guys a break and be happy that they are alive first and for most and secondly that they still play. Listen if you don't want to see them stay home. They are no longer playing for their hard core fans - during all the build up to this tour I never heard them say that they were going to play rarities or 8 songs from the new cd or this or that. They just we are going to tour! I think they are just glad to be alive and playing; oh yeah and still making money......... For some of you out there you might want to talk to your doctor about Prosac or something cause you sound very unhappy. This board has been a real downer over the past few days....

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 23, 2005 07:38

Sva: Very good. It's almost like I crawled out of a cave. The tour is on my mind as much as the WEATHER CHANNEL............S

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: August 23, 2005 07:59

ROPENI,

Your an Idiot

Date: August 23, 2005 08:29

I agree that there were too many war horses but,the same songs they've been playing for the last 20 years?
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) -'73,about half of the '75 shows,about half the '94/'95 shows,'03 like 4 times out of 117.
Shattered - once in '89,not at all in '90,not at all in '97/'98 or '99 U.S.,4 or 5 times out of 117 in '02/'03
She's So Cold - not played on stage in 22 or 23 years except for the club show
Night Time - never
Beast Of Burden - not played in '89/'90,not played in '97/'98,not played in '99,
played 4 or 5 times out of 117 in '02/'03
The Worst - Not played in '97/'98,not played in '99,played 6 out of 117 in '02/'03
Out of Control - Released in '97 ~ not played in '02,played once in '03
+ 4 new songs = 11/22 interesting choices (not to mention the new arrangement of
Sympathy For The Devil everyone wanted).One obvious trade I would have made would've been to drop Tumbling Dice (a big highlight of my first concert) & added Soul Survivor between JJF and BS to break up the freight train to the end of the show.That would have probably stopped all this complaining.

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: August 23, 2005 08:37

"not to mention the new arrangement of Sympathy For The Devil everyone wanted"

What was the difference this time?

Date: August 23, 2005 08:40

There wasn't the old pre-recorded intro this time as far as I could tell.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: August 23, 2005 09:22

ROPENI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, it seems to me that if their new cd with 16
> tracks was so good, and Mick and Keith went "back
> to their roots".
> Then how come they only played 4 songs from it?
> Instead they gave us the same songs that they have
> been playing live for the last 20 years. Give me a
> break
> "Out of control" Hearbreaker, satisfaction, and so
> on.
> Maybe they know that their new stuff sucks, and
> they have to go back to the warhorses. its a shame
> that the Stones have become. A parody of
> themselves.
> And as l wrote before wait till the cd is online
> and get it for free. Don't give this greedy
> bastards any more money.
>
>
> "MANOLO, SHOOT THAT PIECE OF SHIT"

And now you've made your point clear!
Now it's my turn!
I went to see U2 in Gothenburg this summer. Great show and Bono was excellent!
They played all their warhorses and just 3 song from their new album.
Which sends a message to all of us!
It's all the music from the past up to the present day that we want to hear!
U2 also covered some Beatles tunes and I don't see anything wrong with covers as long as they are done in a good manner!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 23, 2005 09:41

Fan Since 1964 Wrote:
> I went to see U2 in Gothenburg this summer. Great show and Bono was excellent!
> They played all their warhorses and just 3 song from their new album.

I was also at that show. They played 6 new songs, one of them twice.

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: August 23, 2005 10:20

Theif in the Night Wrote:
> There wasn't the old pre-recorded intro this time
> as far as I could tell.

So they started the song with just piano and Jaggers vocals?

Posted by: smith ()
Date: August 23, 2005 10:40

Dear stickydion - let me help you a little bit :-)

>1971, 4th, March. First show of the tour, Newcstle. The Stones play only 4 >songs taken from the Sticky Fingers album. So SF must be a bad album and the >Stones “a parody of themselves”.
4 of 10 is MORE than 4 of 16

>1972, 3rd June. First show of the tour, Vancouver. The Stones play 9 songs >taken from “Exile” so the album must be good! Or just passable?
9 of 18 is MORE than 4 of 16

>1973, 1st September. First show of the European tour, Vienna. The Stones play 5 >songs taken from “Coats Head Soup”. So the album must be bad and the Stons “a >parody of themselves” once again.
5 of 10 is MORE than 4 of 16

>1975, 1st June. First show of the tour, Baton Rouge. The Stones played 6 songs >taken from “IORR” (1974). So the album must be bad or just a mediocre one.
6 of 10 is also a little bit MORE than 4 of 16

>1976, 28 April. First show of the tour, Frankfurt. The Stones play only 4 songs >taken from “Black and Blue”. So the album must be horrible and the Stones, as >usual, “a parody of themselves”.
like with "Exile", the half of the album - this is more than a quarter (4 of 16), isn't it ???

>1978, 10 June, First show of the tour, Lakeland. The Stones play 6 songs taken >from “Some Girls”. So the album must be bad or just mediocre, once again.
it's getting complicated 6 of 10 is even more than a half and 6 new songs are anyway more than 4 new songs

>1981, 25th September. First show of the tour, Philadelphia. The Stones play 7 >songs taken from “Tatoo You”. So the album must be passable, mediocre.
seven of eleven ...hmmm - it's your turn stickydion :-)))

Ed

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 23, 2005 11:27

The clisse that the Stones must not play their older stuff, even it's so popular, it's just a pure absurdity.

Posted by: Wolter ()
Date: August 23, 2005 11:39

I thought this was a fan forum? Strange to use the words greedy bastards?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1325
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home