Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: The Disaster that is the "Live Licks" Album
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 4, 2019 08:04

That Rocks Off edit is unforgivable...why?? Just to shave a few seconds off the CD run-time in order to squeeze on an extra song?

The album artwork alone is an abomination.

It looks like a photo that was repeatedly photocopied until it was blurry and washed out. How could ANYONE sign off on such shoddy graphical work?

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 4, 2019 09:04

The mix is terrible. SFM sounds brilliant on Four Flicks but on the CD sounds poor. Disc 2 has some great moments but I always just put the DVD on. Hoping for an Uncut release on Blu-ray with the complete shows and more bonus tracks.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 4, 2019 09:18

The redeeming feature is Nearness Of You

Date: May 4, 2019 09:28

deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
If you have Four Flicks you don't need Live Licks (unless you want to play that particular recording in your car).

Or perhaps if you really want to hear the different CYHMK-version from The Wiltern and BOB.

Yes, and Street fighting man is better, The Nearness of you is better mixed, you get the Everybody needs...- version mit Salomon Burke and so on...

Yeah, you can hear Blondie's guitar on NOV. I like SFM better on FF, indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 12:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 4, 2019 11:03

Wasn't Jaggers vocals re-recorded in studio for SFM on Live Licks? Doesn't sound live to me.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: May 4, 2019 11:27

Is Don Was ruining live cd's as well as recent studio work - what the hell do they see in him

Date: May 4, 2019 12:21

ukcal
Is Don Was ruining live cd's as well as recent studio work - what the hell do they see in him

Not Don Was.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 4, 2019 12:29

24FPS wrote:"Flashpoint had its moments, as did the No Security CD. (Yes, I know it's actually from the BTB tour). But what would be the point of getting any live album after that? Maybe Fonda because of the novelty."

Well mate I guess most theatre shows from 02-03 are more interesting than Fonda n'est c'est pas? Wiltern, Boston, Enmore, the both Cirkuses (Stockholm and Krone), the FULL Olympia? Now THAT would have been a live album! The Stockholm Bootleg is probably the best live boot from the last twenty years. Everyone should own one (not least because you can hear my Beautiful songbird voice during That's How Strong My Love Is smileys with beer.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 4, 2019 14:15

keefriff99
That Rocks Off edit is unforgivable...why?? Just to shave a few seconds off the CD run-time in order to squeeze on an extra song?

It looks like a photo that was repeatedly photocopied until it was blurry and washed out. How could ANYONE sign off on such shoddy graphical work?

The duration of the cd's is around 50 and 60 minutes, but you can put over 80 minutes of music on a cd, so it's crazy and unnecessary editing anything anyway

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2019 18:42

TheBlockbuster
Wasn't Jaggers vocals re-recorded in studio for SFM on Live Licks? Doesn't sound live to me.

It's from Twickenham, the show on FOUR FLICKS, and the screw up was edited.

To my knowledge, the only overdub, to my ears, so far, is a guitar on Neighbours. I haven't been able to make out vocal overdubs like earlier live albums, which are very easy to tell, especially on GYYYO! and LYL.

Date: May 4, 2019 19:06

GJV
keefriff99

The duration of the cd's is around 50 and 60 minutes, but you can put over 80 minutes of music on a cd, so it's crazy and unnecessary editing anything anyway
Yeah, you're right...the track listing's not even close to the 79-minute CD capacity. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live Licks
Date: May 4, 2019 19:15

The Rocks Off edit shows the laziness, obviously, of the live recording they did, because it makes logical sense that they had better performances of Rocks Off for that tour.

The FOUR FLICKS version is unedited and reveals why the LP version is edited, because of the horrible return to the song from the bridge.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 4, 2019 19:26

GasLightStreet
The Rocks Off edit shows the laziness, obviously, of the live recording they did, because it makes logical sense that they had better performances of Rocks Off for that tour.

The FOUR FLICKS version is unedited and reveals why the LP version is edited, because of the horrible return to the song from the bridge.

[www.youtube.com]
That's really not even that bad. I've heard worse botches of that bridge.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: May 4, 2019 19:53

There is a pretty good Can’t You Hear Me Knocking from the Wiltern on this release. Great singing with a rare sense of urgency from Mick. I wish the whole Wiltern show was released.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 4, 2019 21:39

GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster

To my knowledge, the only overdub, to my ears, so far, is a guitar on Neighbours. I haven't been able to make out vocal overdubs like earlier live albums, which are very easy to tell, especially on GYYYO! and LYL.

The vocals are very different on the Twickenham version of SFM on Four Flicks. Jagger also recorded new vocals tracks for some songs on the Austin show from The Biggest Bang. So I guess it's something he does sometimes. I also think vocals on JJF from Fonda 2015 was re-recorded in studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 21:40 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: May 4, 2019 22:18

GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster

Check out the other rhythm guitar on CYHMK (left channel) smiling smiley

Date: May 4, 2019 23:54

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster

Check out the other rhythm guitar on CYHMK (left channel) smiling smiley

It's been so long since I've paid attention to the details of LIVE LICKS, I can't remember all that's been talked about, but you've freshened my memory of that bizarre CYHMK overdub. Never noticed the different vocals on SFM!

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: May 6, 2019 22:20

I thought that CYHMK is from MSG.

Is there a site with all the Live Licks recording dates?

Date: May 6, 2019 23:27

rebelhipi
I thought that CYHMK is from MSG.

Is there a site with all the Live Licks recording dates?

CYHMK and BOB are from The Wiltern.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2019 00:27

I liked Four Flicks. Played it a lot and it's still a favorite. But Live Licks? I'm sure I have it in my collection somewhere but I can't remember anything about it...

Date: May 8, 2019 01:33

Stoneage
I liked Four Flicks. Played it a lot and it's still a favorite. But Live Licks? I'm sure I have it in my collection somewhere but I can't remember anything about it...

Did you find THE BIGGEST BANG a bit weak compared to FOUR FLICKS? I thought it was very strange that they basically copied the same productive format - look at how many trucks! Look - we're rehearsing! etc.

A bit depressing and tired.

Nor were they anywhere near as good live as the previous tour.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 8, 2019 02:08

I thought that the sound on The Biggest Bang was a little bit better. Clearer and more powerful than on Four Flicks. The actual songs on Four Flicks were a lot more interesting though, but I enjoy both dvd sets, although at times The Biggest Bang works a bit like a haphazard collection thrown onto dvd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-08 02:10 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 8, 2019 02:28

SomeGuy
I thought that the sound on The Biggest Bang was a little bit better. Clearer and more powerful than on Four Flicks. The actual songs on Four Flicks were a lot more interesting though, but I enjoy both dvd sets, although at times The Biggest Bang works a bit like a haphazard collection thrown onto dvd.

Maybe the guitar techs put more effort with the overdubs on The Biggest Bang...
Four Flicks I really like...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 8, 2019 02:47

shortfatfanny
SomeGuy

Maybe the guitar techs put more effort with the overdubs on The Biggest Bang...

Yeah, lol. Not as much effort as was put on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! though.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 8, 2019 10:18

The Biggest Bang tour was compromised after Keith's bump on the noggin unfortunately .

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 8, 2019 10:22

Never gave it a spin after the first listen.
The butchered Rocks Off ruins it for me, completely.
Years ago I wouldn't have believed something like that could ever be released by MY Rolling Stones.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: May 8, 2019 12:43

Speaking of Four Flicks, does anyone know what the constant background hiss on the MSG show is? It’s like the background noise of a very compressed MP3 (i don’t know if i’m clear). It sometimes even sounds like fainted keyboards. The same sound is also on the rehearsal show.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 8, 2019 12:55

Talkin about Biggest Bang, I thought they should've released another show than Rio on it, or added a third "semi-complete" one (for instance Melbourne 2006). Buenos Aires is not very well recorded (and quite blurry picture) although I love the version of Worried About You, it is very different from the 2003 versions but very enjoyable.

However Austin is ten outta ten, setlist and all. The first part up until UMT, although heavily over-dubbed by Pierre & Co, is the best thing they've released live-wise since El Mocambo, dare I say.

Date: May 9, 2019 16:40

GivenToFly15
Speaking of Four Flicks, does anyone know what the constant background hiss on the MSG show is? It’s like the background noise of a very compressed MP3 (i don’t know if i’m clear). It sometimes even sounds like fainted keyboards. The same sound is also on the rehearsal show.

There's some kind of tinkle going on throughout SFM and as I recall watching the show live, throughout the show.

Date: May 9, 2019 17:04

Perhaps a single LP would've fared better, something along the line of:

Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
Monkey Man
When The Whip Comes Down
Neighbors
Rocks Off
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
That's How Strong My Love Is
You Don't Have to Mean It
The Nearness of You
Beast Of Burden
Worried About You

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home