Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dirty Work revisited
Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 28, 2016 00:33

crumbling_mice
I haven't revisited it since about a week after I bought it and that's the way it will stay....

Same here. My girlfriend at the time gave it to me for my birthday. I definitely remember playing it that night. Other than that, I must have forced myself to listen to it once or twice more, but that's about it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:39

Remember the day when you actually bought an album (LP) in a record store. Seems like time is slipping away now...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 28, 2016 12:28

I remember very well the day I bought DW. Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening listening to it with my mouth open, listened to it 5 or 6 times in a row, and it got better and better every time. As I said many times before, this is the Stones´ last great album to enjoy from start to finish.

The production, btw, is superb!
DW is the least-80s-sounding-LP of all 80s-LPs by any rock-band. 80s-sound to me is drums sounding like played under-water and mile-high towers of keyboard-sounds. Nothing of that on DW. It´s a guitar-dominated fast rocking album, not at all 80s-sound (except for Winning Ugly & Back To Zero, two tracks that are there to give the album a modern tinge, just like almost every Stones-album has one or two modern sounding tracks. And Winning Ugly is a killer song, fabulous).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-28 12:32 by HMS.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: March 28, 2016 12:52

HMS
I remember very well the day I bought DW. Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening listening to it with my mouth open, listened to it 5 or 6 times in a row, and it got better and better every time. As I said many times before, this is the Stones´ last great album to enjoy from start to finish.

The production, btw, is superb!
DW is the least-80s-sounding-LP of all 80s-LPs by any rock-band. 80s-sound to me is drums sounding like played under-water and mile-high towers of keyboard-sounds. Nothing of that on DW. It´s a guitar-dominated fast rocking album, not at all 80s-sound (except for Winning Ugly & Back To Zero, two tracks that are there to give the album a modern tinge, just like almost every Stones-album has one or two modern sounding tracks. And Winning Ugly is a killer song, fabulous).

Thank you, could not agree more! As you say, DW is the "least '80s sounding of all '80s LPs". If you want to hear a 1980s production, listen to She's The Boss. That is a typical 1980s production (but still a pretty good album).

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 28, 2016 14:42

As Steve Lillywhite put it, it was a Keith inspired record. So where's the Mick Jagger inspired abum of the time?! She's The Boss combined with Dirty Work would have made the Rolling Stones without WW III long player.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 28, 2016 15:13

JJHMick
As Steve Lillywhite put it, it was a Keith inspired record. So where's the Mick Jagger inspired abum of the time?! She's The Boss combined with Dirty Work would have made the Rolling Stones without WW III long player.

There is an important distinction though, that you don't take into account, referring to Mick Jagger inspired albums. For Mick Jagger, to a varying extent one may willingly admit, makes songs that, more or less separately, are Rolling Stones oriented songs or are solo songs. That is, one of his solo albums obviously realized his ambition of being able to create Rolling Stones types of music as a solo venture apart from the band.

From SHE'S THE BOSS, mainly "Hard Woman", I believe, could have been a possible input in this context.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:04

Stoneage
Remember the day when you actually bought an album (LP) in a record store. Seems like time is slipping away now...

guess it's just another dream...

Date: March 29, 2016 11:05

Stoneage

Some of us, the number is increasing actually, are back on that wagon again smiling smiley

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 29, 2016 15:53

I still buy cds, often the day they are released. I've done it with Stones albums since 1983, going out to the record store to pick up the LP fresh off the presses, and I am lucky enough to have a great music store in my area (Bull Moose) that still thrives on selling the physical medium, both LPs and cds. I occasionally download music, but I much, much prefer having it in hand. Especially when it comes to The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 29, 2016 21:29

Best song on this album is # 2:
[www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 23:41

KRiffhard
Best song on this album is # 2:
[www.rollingstones.com]

Good one KRiffhard. And it is the least 80's sounding too.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home