Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Auditions in 1993 to replace Bill Wyman
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 18, 2016 07:38

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 18, 2016 07:51

Truthfully, and not being negative, Bill was a huge loss and while many here admire Daryl as a great player and great guy, I never thought he fit their sound. Just my opinion which is worthless, but I think they could have found a better fit.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 18, 2016 09:56

I think it was about timing. Bill left just into the big stadium touring days. Mick probably felt it was most important to have a steady hand holding things down. The whole push-pull feel of the group was being left behind but this time, with having to play with the electronic samples. As has been noted here, the tone was set by Jagger's '88 solo tour. The Stones themselves add some individual character, but it's basically a machine. Far from the wild 70's.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 18, 2016 10:01

From4tilLate
A friend of Jon Grayboff of Ryan Adams's old band told me a great story of a friend of his who auditioned.

Thanks for sharing!

About Tina Weymouth, wasn't she busy with her Tom Tom Club at the time?
And I think there is much truth in Mac's explanation that it is important to be a good "hang".

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 18, 2016 11:33

HMS
Big Al
They obvsiously took the decision to not officially replace Bill Wyman.

Maybe to make it easy for Wyman to slip back in in style and grace. But obviously he never felt any need to do so.

In fact Bill was asked/invited to return for at least a handful of tours since Voodoo Lounge so the door was always open for a couple of years.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 18, 2016 12:34

Meshell Ndegeocello played in the studio version of Saint of Me, didn't she ?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 18, 2016 14:44

while we're talking Bill, has anyone seen other pics of him playing this bass? and how about the strap button on the bottom part of the body?

this is one of the coolest Mustang basses I've ever seen, but pretty sure I've not seen any other pics of Bill playing it? usually see that blue one he had..

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: March 18, 2016 16:48

The Sicilian
From4tilLate
Mick acted as spokesman for the band, greeted him, shook his hand and introduced him to the other band members. He was told they would play a couple of songs and told what they were. Would you like to listen to the records first? No thank you, I think I know those two. (I don't know what the songs were.)

The most important part of the story is not known. What songs were played? That is 90% of the audition and it is not remembered? But the sushi is???

I was just never told what the songs were. If I recall, Jon Grayboff did not know and Jon is who told me the story.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: March 18, 2016 16:50

It's also my understanding that Joey Spampinato was too GOOD a hang. He got along too well with Keith and Ronnie and Mick didn't want another party boy in the band.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 18, 2016 16:59

From4tilLate
It's also my understanding that Joey Spampinato was too GOOD a hang. He got along too well with Keith and Ronnie and Mick didn't want another party boy in the band.

That sounds about the same as the reason why Ian McLagan was replaced after the 1978 tour.
Him and Ronnie were partying a bit too much to Micks taste, or something like that.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: March 18, 2016 18:04

From4tilLate
The Sicilian
From4tilLate
Mick acted as spokesman for the band, greeted him, shook his hand and introduced him to the other band members. He was told they would play a couple of songs and told what they were. Would you like to listen to the records first? No thank you, I think I know those two. (I don't know what the songs were.)

The most important part of the story is not known. What songs were played? That is 90% of the audition and it is not remembered? But the sushi is???

I was just never told what the songs were. If I recall, Jon Grayboff did not know and Jon is who told me the story.

I remember that one song was Brown Sugar.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: March 18, 2016 20:51

joey spampinato would have put the roll in the rock, like he did in hail hail rock'n'roll. but history cannot be rewritten.

btw I think the other audition song was Miss You and a blues jam was also part of the audtion

Date: March 18, 2016 22:44

"What was the audition process?

I was asked to come to New York in June 1993. We played through a bunch of hits: "Brown Sugar," "Miss You," "Tumbling Dice," "Start Me Up." Everything felt good and I thought, No matter what happens, I've had a lot of fun--and maybe I'll hear from them. They called again in October; this time they wanted to play through material they'd written for Voodoo Lounge. After that, they asked me to come work on the record in Dublin. When we finished, there were rumors of a tour, but nothing official was said.

Last March, I went to hang out with Mick and Keith at a mixing session. Keith told me I had just missed Charlie, and he related a conversation they'd had that day:

Charlie: "We're going to use Darryl on the tour, right?"

Keith: "Yeah. He played on the record, and we dug it, so, yes-- he's doing it."

Charlie: "Well, don't you think we should tell him?"

Keith: "I guess you're right."

Then Keith said, "So, I'm telling you." [Laughs.] I didn't tell anyone, though, until the band formally announced it"

[www.abasses.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 19, 2016 00:41

Judging solely from "Hail, Hail Rock and Roll" Joey Spampinato would have been the perfect choice. But in the end more superficial reasons, I guess (remember how Ian was treated) settled it.
Joey, probably, didn't have the right age, skin or looks. But that's only my speculation. Not a fact.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 19, 2016 00:50

KRiffhard

I was asked to come to New York in June 1993. We played through a bunch of hits: "Brown Sugar," "Miss You," "Tumbling Dice," "Start Me Up." Everything felt good and I thought, No matter what happens, I've had a lot of fun--and maybe I'll hear from them. They called again in October; this time they wanted to play through material they'd written for Voodoo Lounge. After that, they asked me to come work on the record in Dublin. When we finished, there were rumors of a tour, but nothing official was said.

Last March, I went to hang out with Mick and Keith at a mixing session. Keith told me I had just missed Charlie, and he related a conversation they'd had that day:

Then Keith said, "So, I'm telling you." [Laughs.] I didn't tell anyone, though, until the band formally announced it"

[www.abasses.com]

That is also a really cool story. Admittedly, I don't really feel one way or the other towards Darryl (would it really have worked with another "big name" coming to the Stones? I feel its more respectful to Bill to replace him with an unknown thats not part of the partnership) but he handled that with class. He was quiet about it, the band clearly made the decision all on their own, and he seemed as thrilled as any of us would be. Seems like the guy got the dream gig of a lifetime and he handles himself well.

I follow Guns N Roses, and the members that replaced the classic ones, and they acted like spoiled children even though their life was handed to them on a silver platter. They curse out fans, they act like big shots, they literally don't serve much of a role in the band yet believe they do. So I'm just saying, after seeing stuff like that, we could have had a lot worse and I've always respected for Darryl for seeming like a good that does the job quietly as he probably should.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 19, 2016 01:11

KRiffhard

I was asked to come to New York in June 1993. We played through a bunch of hits: "Brown Sugar," "Miss You," "Tumbling Dice," "Start Me Up."

Even the auditions couldn't escape the dreaded warhorses.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 19, 2016 02:03

RollingFreak
KRiffhard

[www.abasses.com]

That is also a really cool story. Admittedly, I don't really feel one way or the other towards Darryl (would it really have worked with another "big name" coming to the Stones? I feel its more respectful to Bill to replace him with an unknown thats not part of the partnership) but he handled that with class. He was quiet about it, the band clearly made the decision all on their own, and he seemed as thrilled as any of us would be. Seems like the guy got the dream gig of a lifetime and he handles himself well.

I follow Guns N Roses, and the members that replaced the classic ones, and they acted like spoiled children even though their life was handed to them on a silver platter. They curse out fans, they act like big shots, they literally don't serve much of a role in the band yet believe they do. So I'm just saying, after seeing stuff like that, we could have had a lot worse and I've always respected for Darryl for seeming like a good that does the job quietly as he probably should.

Actually I think he did a good job on Voodoo Lounge, especially Love Is Strong & You Got Me Rocking. They almost seemed Wymanesque. But then something happened. He is not a real presence on Babylon, and bass work on A Bigger Bang seems haphazard and given to whoever is hanging around. I saw Darryl, live, completely blow attempting to play Anybody Seen My Baby. So, it sounds like a comfort thing with Charlie. All right. I can accept that the bass guitar simply quit being an essential element of the Rolling Stones sound the day Bill retired.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 19, 2016 02:16

Brstonesfan
Truthfully, and not being negative, Bill was a huge loss and while many here admire Daryl as a great player and great guy, I never thought he fit their sound. Just my opinion which is worthless, but I think they could have found a better fit.

thumbs up

Norman Watt-Roy.....smileys with beer............. Let It Loose.....

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: March 19, 2016 02:57

They should have hired Hulk Hogan when he approached Jerry Hall and said he wanted to join the band.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: March 19, 2016 04:03

It was 1990 when Ronnie became a full fledged member of the Stones, just before Bill left. In fact, it was Bill who lobbied Mick and Keith since Ron had been in the band so long and Ron didn't have the nerve to approach them in asking.

"In 1990 Wood was made a fully fledged partner in the Rolling Stones' financial organisation."[18] from Jagger , Richards, Watt and Wood 2003 page 257...

Date: March 19, 2016 08:21

24FPS
RollingFreak
KRiffhard

[www.abasses.com]

Actually I think he did a good job on Voodoo Lounge, especially Love Is Strong & You Got Me Rocking. They almost seemed Wymanesque. But then something happened. He is not a real presence on Babylon, and bass work on A Bigger Bang seems haphazard and given to whoever is hanging around. I saw Darryl, live, completely blow attempting to play Anybody Seen My Baby. So, it sounds like a comfort thing with Charlie. All right. I can accept that the bass guitar simply quit being an essential element of the Rolling Stones sound the day Bill retired.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home