Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1969 Keith's guitar question
Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: March 16, 2016 18:45

I saw a picture of Keith at Saville theater with his Black Beauty with capo at
second fret(hard to see if are 6 or 5 strings but anyway),and I would like to know for what song ? If somebody knows....
JACK

Re: 1969 Keith's guitar question
Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: March 16, 2016 21:40

well it's in A then..

SFM? Live with Me?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 16, 2016 21:45

If you are meaning from this series of pics, they are just posing for photos so he/they could just be messing about with a new idea etc.

[media.gettyimages.com]

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 16, 2016 22:04

Keith played street fighting man in open E back then didn't he?

later Sweet Virginia was standard tuning capoed at the second fret.

I'd need to see pics of his left hand actually fretting a chord to tell for sure what is going on.

Date: March 16, 2016 22:07

dadrob
Keith played street fighting man in open E back then didn't he?

Open D in studio version, but he used open G capo at 4th fret live in 1969

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 17, 2016 11:57

There is some new info on this guitar by the way -it was stolen from Nellcote in July 1971, and then later bought by Steve Marriott whom removed the middle pickup. It is now in the hands of a collector.

[ecommerceconfidential.com]

Mathijs

Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: March 28, 2016 03:11

Happy to find this thread. In 1969 at MSG Keith hadn't found Tele's yet and I'm not sure if he had discovered open G at that time.
If that is the case for the opening song of the set, Jumping Jack Flash, for which I'm not yet sure of he was using the Dan Armstrong or a Les Paul did he play in standard tuning or open E or Open G with capo at 4th?

Date: March 28, 2016 03:32

banditpanda
Happy to find this thread. In 1969 at MSG Keith hadn't found Tele's yet and I'm not sure if he had discovered open G at that time.
If that is the case for the opening song of the set, Jumping Jack Flash, for which I'm not yet sure of he was using the Dan Armstrong or a Les Paul did he play in standard tuning or open E or Open G with capo at 4th?

He had a tele already by 1964, open G by spring 1969. smiling smiley

Posted by: carllages ()
Date: March 28, 2016 17:24

Monkey Man

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: March 28, 2016 17:30

carllages
Monkey Man

?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 28, 2016 17:36

banditpanda

He was definately using open G on stage in 1969.

Date: March 28, 2016 21:06

carllages
Monkey Man

Standard tuning.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2016 21:34

Tumblin_Dice_07
banditpanda

Yep, 1969 was the first tour where Keith used open g tuning...but wasn't using telecasters yet...

Date: March 28, 2016 21:42

HonkeyTonkFlash
Tumblin_Dice_07
banditpanda

Yep, 1969 was the first tour where Keith used open g tuning...but wasn't using telecasters yet...

He used a Tele way earlier than 69, but not for open G. He didn’t do that before 71 or 72, though.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2016 21:44

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
Tumblin_Dice_07
banditpanda

He used a Tele way earlier than 69, but not for open G. He didn’t do that before 71 or 72, though.

I stand corrected my friend...

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: March 28, 2016 22:03

From the "Mick Taylor's guitars on 1969 tour" thread, this is the summary:

Keith seemed to use the LP Custom for all capo'd open G tracks, Taylor's Bigsby LP for HTW, and the Armstrong for all standard tuned songs, with the 355 being a spare for both Taylor and Richards. Richards played Queenie on the Armstrong in LA, but on the 355 in New York. Also he has used the 355 for Rambler but the GYYYO version (New York) is very likely to be the Dan Armstrong.

Date: March 28, 2016 22:31

+ his ES for JJF (with capo) and HTW in Hyde Park in 69.

When TD and Happy made the setlist, a Tele (with capo) was his guitar of choice.

Date: March 30, 2016 02:40

Great info gents. So for JJF at MSG in '69 he's playing a Les Paul( or the ES - uncertainty there) in open G capo'd at the 4th.
Beautiful !!
Thanks so much.
p.s. I'm learning to play the whole album so I'll be back at ya with the rest of the songs lol !!

Date: March 30, 2016 20:15

banditpanda
Great info gents. So for JJF at MSG in '69 he's playing a Les Paul( or the ES - uncertainty there) in open G capo'd at the 4th.
Beautiful !!
Thanks so much.
p.s. I'm learning to play the whole album so I'll be back at ya with the rest of the songs lol !!

JJF at MSG 69 is played with a LP Custom (the ES was not used for open G during the US tour)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 30, 2016 21:36

Mathijs
There is some new info on this guitar by the way -it was stolen from Nellcote in July 1971, and then later bought by Steve Marriott whom removed the middle pickup. It is now in the hands of a collector.

[ecommerceconfidential.com]

Mathijs
that is always the case , with the Glimmers army of attorneys they should take action and get Keef's guitars back where they belong

Date: April 1, 2016 03:27

FrankG
[
JJF at MSG 69 is played with a LP Custom (the ES was not used for open G during the US tour)

Thank you Frank. I'm afraid I've only got 2 guitars with humbuckers, an LP and an ES style guitar and only one of them can be tuned to open G so it will be the ES with the LP in standard tuning, Should sound awesome just the same.
Do you know if he was taking off the 6th E string at that time '69 ?

Date: April 1, 2016 06:51

Judging on pictures of Keith with the LP on the 69 US tour, the sixth string was removed.

Date: April 1, 2016 09:10

Yup.

He still had 6th string on at Hyde Park, so he must have arrived at the 5 string idea at some point inbetween.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 1, 2016 12:22

FrankG
Judging on pictures of Keith with the LP on the 69 US tour, the sixth string was removed.

6th string removed, although there are pics of MSG where he plays the SFM encore on the Arsmtrong, with the low E in place.

Mathijs

Date: April 1, 2016 13:40

Mathijs
FrankG

6th string removed, although there are pics of MSG where he plays the SFM encore on the Arsmtrong, with the low E in place.

Mathijs

Mathijs, I've seen pics from the 1970 European tour where he plays the Armstrong capoed at 4 i.e. open G for JJF and SFM. Was the Armstrong guitar of choice for capoed open G (as well as for standard tuning)?

Date: April 1, 2016 19:45

Thanks so much guys. For a guitar player this keeps getting better and better.
Much obliged.

Date: April 1, 2016 19:50

FrankG
Mathijs
FrankG

Mathijs

Mathijs, I've seen pics from the 1970 European tour where he plays the Armstrong capoed at 4 i.e. open G for JJF and SFM. Was the Armstrong guitar of choice for capoed open G (as well as for standard tuning)?

Didn't he have two?

Date: April 1, 2016 20:49

@DandelionPowerman - yes he had two. Just interesting how Keith was seeking his sound guitar wise for open G between 69 and 72 when slowly but surely the Tele's became the instrument of choice. Also seen that the LP custom made a comeback in 71 for capoed open G.

Date: April 1, 2016 21:01

FrankG
@DandelionPowerman - yes he had two. Just interesting how Keith was seeking his sound guitar wise for open G between 69 and 72 when slowly but surely the Tele's became the instrument of choice. Also seen that the LP custom made a comeback in 71 for capoed open G.

Yes indeed. And BS was the song where it took a little longer to get accustomed to the Tele, apparently. He used a Strat when he opened the shows with it in 72 (and 73?).

Date: April 1, 2016 21:21

Btw, Robert Fripp has an ex Steve Marriott 3 pick-up LPC... Bought as a back up for his main custom... I wonder.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home