Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is this the right time to finally release C***s***** Blues officially on DVD?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:35

jlowe

"The band's Management"
Who are they?

The team of lawyers counselors et al. who advised Jagger to bury the movie?
These guys had enough problems getting a visa for Keith in preparation for the 1975 tour, convincing the US authorities the Stones were just an entertainment act >grinning smiley<

Re: Is this the right time to finally release C***s***** Blues officially on DVD?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 9, 2016 19:18

keithglimmer
I've noticed that while I used to be able to watch CSB on youtube all links are now "Eagle Rocked" & unavailable in my country (USA).

I don't get Eagle Rocked when I try to find it on YouTube, just some weirdness that makes it looks like the movie's available, until you try to watch it. Then there's some unrelated still that says the copyright owners have had it removed.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 9, 2016 20:06

It's a better legend than movie.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 10, 2016 06:38

Loog Droog,

You said it all in six words.

End of this thread.

PECMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 10, 2016 11:51

I think these days Jagger is caught in a dilemna with this one : letting it be released? It'll clash with the "family band" image he's been building since the 1989 comeback.
Censoring it completely? Jagger might face a "Streisand effect" with people who had no intention to watch suddenly trying to find it "cos it's forbidden dude So I need it though I don't care for the Stones!"

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 10, 2016 13:16

loog droog

And as it seems from reading this thread, many of us agree, as do I.
I've seen the bootleg once, and that's more than enough for me. It took me a week to
fight off the depressing feeling the movie gave me. I'd rather watch one of their many
DVD's that make me happy, instead of this.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 10, 2016 13:36

marcovandereijk
loog droog

And as it seems from reading this thread, many of us agree, as do I.
I've seen the bootleg once, and that's more than enough for me. It took me a week to
fight off the depressing feeling the movie gave me. I'd rather watch one of their many
DVD's that make me happy, instead of this.

thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 10, 2016 14:26

dcba
I think these days Jagger is caught in a dilemna with this one : letting it be released? It'll clash with the "family band" image he's been building since the 1989 comeback.
Censoring it completely? Jagger might face a "Streisand effect" with people who had no intention to watch suddenly trying to find it "cos it's forbidden dude So I need it though I don't care for the Stones!"

Sorry for my ignorance.
But what is the "Streisand effect" ?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 10, 2016 19:24

jlowe
dcba

Sorry for my ignorance.

Barbara Streisand once tried to legally prevent aerial photos of her residence from being published on the internet, which resulted in many more people watching the photos. Thus, to quote Wikipedia, "The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet."

There is no need to censor CS Blues any more than it already has. If the Stones don't want the film to become more famous, they just have to sit on it and let the years go by. It's very unlikely that an attempt by some outsider to release it will attract any considerable media attention. I suppose they could let Eagle Entertainment release it like the recent concert DVDs, since they haven't been accompanied by any real promotion either, but I suppose it would be a stretch, still.

There have been reports about Paul McCartney holding back a re-release of the Let It Be film because he don't want to tarnish the Beatles' reputation with a negative film. Not sure about what came out of that, but I haven't seen any Let It Be boxes or outtakes so far.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 10, 2016 20:55

jlowe
dcba
gotdablouse
crholmstrom
It's a horrible movie. There are a few interesting parts (jamming with Stevie Wonder etc) but overall I find it too dark & depressing. Don't really like watching Keith detiorate before my eyes.

Exactly, very much overrated. If it had been released back in the day no one would be talking about it now other than as an embarrassment for the Stones. Like Macca's Broadstreet ?

You all fail to grasp it's a Robert Frank movie with his obsessions his (somewhat depressed) views on life, music, and America. It's NOT a generic promo-product like L&G, it's an auteur movie.

Go to a library, open a copy of Frank's "The Americans" and you'll get it. Jagger hired Frank after buying this book so he liked the man's views of the world.
And logically "Mick Jagger actually liked the film, but the band's management thought the public would be put off by it" (quote from the same Steidl interview).

"The band's Management"
Who are they?
They have managed themselves since 1970.
Marshall Chess anc Earl McGrath held management roles in the 70's but Mick and Keith are there own men. Prince Rupert was just finance and contracts.

There is a woman who claims to be their "Director of Business Affairs" on her website, sounds pretty "managerial" to me ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 10, 2016 21:34

LieB
jlowe
dcba

Sorry for my ignorance.

Barbara Streisand once tried to legally prevent aerial photos of her residence from being published on the internet, which resulted in many more people watching the photos. Thus, to quote Wikipedia, "The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet."

There is no need to censor CS Blues any more than it already has. If the Stones don't want the film to become more famous, they just have to sit on it and let the years go by. It's very unlikely that an attempt by some outsider to release it will attract any considerable media attention. I suppose they could let Eagle Entertainment release it like the recent concert DVDs, since they haven't been accompanied by any real promotion either, but I suppose it would be a stretch, still.

There have been reports about Paul McCartney holding back a re-release of the Let It Be film because he don't want to tarnish the Beatles' reputation with a negative film. Not sure about what came out of that, but I haven't seen any Let It Be boxes or outtakes so far.

Let It Be IS depressing. You're watching the breakup of the band. At least with CB you know it was only a blip in their long career.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: March 10, 2016 21:43

a lot of it was boring. Some scenes were interesting. Biannca listening to a music box in a hotel while Jagger is ignoring her. Jagger and Taylor smoking a joint whiling making fun of the Texas country side. The groupies miss-behaving. What I got of it was Taylor like his weed. Wyman was non-existent. Watts mining his business watching TV. Richards was Mr. Cool playing cards and almost normal. Jagger on the other hand was betrayed pretty badly. Snorting coke is not the way to go through life son. the only saving grace is the concert footage.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 11, 2016 07:39

The original question is...Is this the right time to finally release @#$%& Blues?

Well...I would guess all police and police witnesses are retired by now...

So it should be safe to come out of the vault.

PECMAN

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 11, 2016 10:50

Aside from the legendary scenes on the plane, backstage and a few hillarious snippets, it's an incredible boring movie.

Maybe it's a fair document of the tour and how they killed time between shows, but all the interesting parts are already available on diverse documentaries or tv-specials.

The most disturbing scenes are not (and very wisely so) by band members, but with soundmen, cameramen and other crew, who are dumb enough to show their weakness on-screen.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: March 11, 2016 19:16

It is a great film, as I think most serious film critics acknowledge. Robert Frank after all is a serious artist. I think it is hard to appreciate the film, however, if you did not experience the Stones in this period.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 19:46

tornnfrayed
It is a great film, as I think most serious film critics acknowledge. Robert Frank after all is a serious artist. I think it is hard to appreciate the film, however, if you did not experience the Stones in this period.

I never experienced them in this period but I wish I had, as I believe the band was then at the highest of one of their performing and creative peaks. I want to see them and appreciate them at their most beautiful,but also at not their most beautiful. Nobody is perfect, that's part of life.smileys with beer

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 11, 2016 20:12

tornnfrayed
It is a great film, as I think most serious film critics acknowledge. Robert Frank after all is a serious artist.

Seriously?

Even a "serious artist" is capable of making a seriously bad film.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 11, 2016 20:46

Don't know... I feel balanced... One side, a HD movie is good... On the other, C***s***** Blues is bound to be dirty, so maybe better to keep it on dirty video.. Like old crappy bootlegs... Love them..

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 13, 2016 04:47

im afraid there will never be a offical release... but there are unofficial ones around smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 13, 2016 04:48

The Joker
Don't know... I feel balanced... One side, a HD movie is good... On the other, C***s***** Blues is bound to be dirty, so maybe better to keep it on dirty video.. Like old crappy bootlegs... Love them..
haha i have it on VHS smiling smiley even made a tree looooong ago smiling smiley (for those who remembering trees...)

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: March 13, 2016 16:24

Is it the right time to finally relesase Let It Be on DVD?

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: March 13, 2016 17:59

I'm sure it will get a proper release someday.

I do think though the legend of CS Blues far exceeds its actual qaulity. I remember finally getting my hands on it years ago, and being disappointed. It might be better to keep it under wraps and let the legend live.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 13, 2016 20:10

If the band was leery of releasing the film back then, it's not going to change its mind now. I am not sure what I would have thought of it if I had seen it back then, but when I did catch up with the film years (a lifetime) later I thought it a pretty grim depiction of the band and the times. People like to say that "GS" marks the end of the '60's (I do not know what that phrase means, but it rubs me wrong), but this film makes me want to say "good riddance" to those days. It has been a while, but I recall one moment that captures the mood of the whole scene. I believe Jagger is sitting in an automobile in the middle of no where but expresses relief to be away from all the hangers on. His whole life style feels exhausting, the stage being his escape.

There are points of interest in the film. More music please. If there are any, the outtakes might be more fun than the final cut.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 14, 2016 00:58

I think it's a great film, I love it despite some ugly stuff in it. Interesting that so many fans here don't like it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home