Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is this the right time to finally release C***s***** Blues officially on DVD?
Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: March 8, 2016 20:42

As the band is about to wrap another successful tour, their legendary status is not in doubt and I am sure that an official release of infamous documentary will not hurt but enhance their fame. I know there are legal disputes around the release, but I am sure the band lawyers can resolve this.
The film deserves to be be restored and preserved.

Re: Is this the right time to finally release C***s***** Blues officially on DVD?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 8, 2016 20:55

Perhaps it's the right time - we have the year 2016 and the RS' lucky number seems to be 44. They played Hyde Park again 44 years later, they released 'Sticky Fingers Deluxe' 44 years later -- why not releasing this Movie 44 years later .... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-09 10:55 by Irix.

Re: Is this the right time to finally release C***s***** Blues officially on DVD?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 8, 2016 20:59

When the superdeluxe edition of Exile on Main St. was released in 2010 I thought C.S.Blues could be intended for an upcoming release, since some portions are included on the DVD.

Date: March 8, 2016 21:03

A saw a crappy copy on vhs years ago, and it is an ultimate document to decadence plus some of music sequences especially Midnight Rambler are truly magnificentsmileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 8, 2016 21:27

What sort of legal dispute are there? Don't the Stones own it? They certainly still set the parameters for when it can be viewed in public. It's past ABKCO's time, so there's no problem there.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 8, 2016 21:50

24FPS

What sort of legal dispute are there?

See here: [en.wikipedia.org] .

"The film came under a court order which forbade it from being shown unless the director, Robert Frank, was physically present. This ruling stemmed from the conflict that arose when the band, having commissioned the film, decided that its content was embarrassing and potentially incriminating, and did not want it shown. Frank felt otherwise — hence the ruling."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-08 21:55 by Irix.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 8, 2016 22:02

24FPS
What sort of legal dispute are there? Don't the Stones own it? They certainly still set the parameters for when it can be viewed in public. It's past ABKCO's time, so there's no problem there.

It'snot between the Stones and ABCKO it's between the Stones and Robert Frank

Steidl (Frank's current publisher) tried to release it on DVD a few years ago and Jagger dropped on the idea like a 16-ton weight.

Gerhard Steidl : "I wrote MJ a few letters, and he replied to one but didn't give his permission to release it".

So either Mick wants to do it himself or he wants CS Blues to remain semi-clandestine forever.

Steidl adds that CS Blues was a commissionned work so legally the Stones remain the owner of the work not Frank. Which imo explains Jagger's veto when Frank rather boldly tried to include CSB in a "complete works" DVD box.

Personnally I wonder where are the dozens of cans of 16mm film Frank shot during that summer of 1972. Did he hive them to the band when he delivered the final cut of CSB in 1975 or did he keep the unused footage?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-08 22:05 by dcba.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 8, 2016 22:08

A copy of this movie (not the outtakes, of course) was on sale for £25,000 some years ago: [www.peterharrington.co.uk]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 8, 2016 22:12

I'd rather have The Fonda Theatre 2015 or Paradiso 1995 released.
CocksuckerBlues should have been released together with Stones In Exile DVD and the Exile bonus CD in 2010 I agree with Cristiano Radtke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-08 22:15 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 8, 2016 22:55

Ah, hate to be a party pooper, I have a vague memory of this film,
but, how do I put this,
it's a tad uncomfortable in this day and age seeing men taking advantage of groupies (women) who've been partying heavily? Right? I dunno...
Gimme Fonda please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-08 22:56 by 35love.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 8, 2016 22:58

35love
Ah, hate to be a party pooper, I have a vague memory of this film,
but, how do I put this,
it's a tad uncomfortable in this day and age seeing men taking advantage of groupies (women) who've been partying heavily? Right? I dunno...
Gimme Fonda please!

thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 9, 2016 00:08

I believe Mick was quoted once as saying it would be embarrassing for the group members families (in particular their parents) if it got released.
I wouldn't have thought it would sell a truckload either.
That said, I think a low key (and perhaps slightly censored) DVD release will occur....but not till they finally call it a day.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 9, 2016 00:12

dcba
So either Mick wants to do it himself or he wants CS Blues to remain semi-clandestine forever.

I remember reading an interview with Mick (in recent times) where he said that he thought the film was "fantastic" or something to that effect. If he doesn't want it to be released, it's probably because it's (still) too dirty and unfavourable to the Stones and especially some other people in the film -- or because of financial or technical issues.

Personnally I wonder where are the dozens of cans of 16mm film Frank shot during that summer of 1972. Did he hive them to the band when he delivered the final cut of CSB in 1975 or did he keep the unused footage?

Yeah, that would be interesting to know. There was quite few outtake cuts used in the Crossfire Hurricane film and in the Plundered My Soul video, and maybe also the Stones in Exile docu (?), so they seem to be at least partly available.

Posted by: pledge1970 ()
Date: March 9, 2016 00:29

I saw this film, maybe 10 years ago at Tate Modern in London.

I was expecting so much more than reality gave me, if that makes sense ?

Since then, the itch was scratched.

Wouldn't call it essential. Maybe that's why it hasn't been released ?

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: March 9, 2016 02:30

I've noticed that while I used to be able to watch CSB on youtube all links are now "Eagle Rocked" & unavailable in my country (USA).

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: March 9, 2016 03:38

over-rated. boring. captures the time period but not in a good way. mick's smart enough to never release it. the junkie chick is hot though.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: March 9, 2016 06:56

A wonderful movie about the Stones and about America in 1972. It would be great if it got an official release but I don't think it will ever happen.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 9, 2016 08:15

It captures a time...but there's not much to a story as a movie or documentary.

Only us Stones fans on this site would be interested.

Could be a couple of million in the bank for the Stones...but the cost of
clearance and potential litigation isn't worth their time.

Those who care probably have the bootleg.

I got a few and the one I have from Germany is the best.

It's best that it hasn't been "officially released" because if it does...it will lose all it's mystic.

PECMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-09 08:18 by Pecman.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 9, 2016 09:18

I prefer the account of it in Don DeLillo's Underworld.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 9, 2016 09:38

It's a horrible movie. There are a few interesting parts (jamming with Stevie Wonder etc) but overall I find it too dark & depressing. Don't really like watching Keith detiorate before my eyes.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 9, 2016 10:30

keithglimmer
I've noticed that while I used to be able to watch CSB on youtube all links are now "Eagle Rocked" & unavailable in my country (USA).

Either they're just exercising their copyright and mucking about, or they're actually planning some kind of release, which would be quite surprising, IMO.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 9, 2016 10:38

crholmstrom
It's a horrible movie. There are a few interesting parts (jamming with Stevie Wonder etc) but overall I find it too dark & depressing. Don't really like watching Keith detiorate before my eyes.

Exactly, very much overrated. If it had been released back in the day no one would be talking about it now other than as an embarrassment for the Stones. Like Macca's Broadstreet ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 9, 2016 11:01

I think the lawyers could do something better for hyde park 1969.

Anyway they must release this film

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 9, 2016 11:01

gotdablouse
crholmstrom

Exactly, very much overrated. If it had been released back in the day no one would be talking about it now other than as an embarrassment for the Stones. Like Macca's Broadstreet ?

You all fail to grasp it's a Robert Frank movie with his obsessions his (somewhat depressed) views on life, music, and America. It's NOT a generic promo-product like L&G, it's an auteur movie.

Go to a library, open a copy of Frank's "The Americans" and you'll get it. Jagger hired Frank after buying this book so he liked the man's views of the world.
And logically "Mick Jagger actually liked the film, but the band's management thought the public would be put off by it" (quote from the same Steidl interview).

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 9, 2016 12:52

I have two versions of this movie (both claiming the best version ever, they aren't) and I don't realy think this is a great movie.

It's boring, not well shot and a lot of times people are not introduced and I have no idea who they are. That's very frustrating.

Only the rehearsals and live parts are interesting. If they release those parts officially as a bonus with something else I think that's good enough, for the rest of the movie I don't care.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-09 12:55 by GJV.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 9, 2016 13:39

RipThisBone
I'd rather have The Fonda Theatre 2015 or Paradiso 1995 released.
CocksuckerBlues should have been released together with Stones In Exile DVD and the Exile bonus CD in 2010 I agree with Cristiano Radtke.

...Oh, YÉS - Please!!
Agree with both your statements...

And to add my own 2 cents to it: CS Blues is dated ànd overrated, crappy & unsignificant - the band would look ridiculous. Plus: who the *** would be interested in this!? let's nót do it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2016 14:25

Ha ha - just saw that this was posted on International Women's Day.

Date: March 9, 2016 14:35

Silver Dagger
Ha ha - just saw that this was posted on International Women's Day.

I forgot about it and I am a woman. It is not really celebrated in the UK. It was celebrated in home country Italy. Anyway as a woman, I understand how some might be upset by the groupie"s scenes in CS blues.smoking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:26

dcba
gotdablouse
crholmstrom

You all fail to grasp it's a Robert Frank movie with his obsessions his (somewhat depressed) views on life, music, and America. It's NOT a generic promo-product like L&G, it's an auteur movie.

Go to a library, open a copy of Frank's "The Americans" and you'll get it. Jagger hired Frank after buying this book so he liked the man's views of the world.
And logically "Mick Jagger actually liked the film, but the band's management thought the public would be put off by it" (quote from the same Steidl interview).

"The band's Management"
Who are they?
They have managed themselves since 1970.
Marshall Chess anc Earl McGrath held management roles in the 70's but Mick and Keith are there own men. Prince Rupert was just finance and contracts.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:34

I can't see them getting out front of this and pushing it. The title alone limits its sales in many markets. Maybe as a bonus on some super deluxe set, buried in among the other goodies. I'd still like to see it just once in a theater setting, or a cleaned up DVD.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home