Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My Fav Ronnie Wood Album
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 4, 2016 08:31

My fav Ronnie Wood Album is Now Look

I Got Lost When I Found You
Big Bayou
Breathe On Me
If You Don't Want My Love
I Can Say She's Allright
Carribean Boogie
Now Look
Sweet Baby Mine
I Can't Stand The Rain
It's Unholy
I Got A Feeling

My fav Ronnie Wood Song is Breath On Me

do you like the album Now Look?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: My Fav Ronnie Wood Album
Date: March 4, 2016 08:53

Love Now Look.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 4, 2016 09:18

Slide on this...

It's almost as good as Keiths 3 solo-album...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 4, 2016 11:26

The song Breathe On Me is the best song he ever wrote. Yes, great album but I've Got My Own Album To Do is still the best track for track. I always found that Now Look tailed off a bit on side 2. But just love that Bobby Womack influence.

Date: March 4, 2016 12:03

Now Look oozes of soul, whilst IGMOATD is more r&b. Love them both – hard to say which one is the better one.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 4, 2016 13:51

I think it would be nice to have a new Ronnie album. But..it will take another 2 years i think.
Hope he will do some solo gigs, when the Stones dont do another leg this year.
jeroen

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 4, 2016 16:22

I like NOW LOOK but even prefer I´VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 4, 2016 17:42

Got my own album, Now look and Slide on this are his best by far.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 4, 2016 18:56

On Now Look, Ronnie plays actual Soul music with Womack, and not just the English Rock Star version of it (i.e. the Rod/Faces version of "{I Know} I'm Losing You" or the Stones' "Just My Imagination" which are great, GREAT tracks...but not as nuanced or authentic as what Ronnie & Bobby do here ).

The highlights of I've Got My Own Album To Do are very high indeed..."I Can Feel The Fire," "Mystifies Me" etc., but overall it's sort of erratic with some filler ("Crotch Music" ) and while notable as a guest-star novelty, the whole thing doesn't really unite.

By comparison Now Look, with it's recurring themes about love and love lost is practically a concept album. It's a quieter record than IGMOATD, and you have listen more closely and dig a little deeper to "get it."

But once you do, it's really amazing what a mature, subtle record this is. And it's a shame that he would then go on to record cliches like "F.U.C. Her" after this.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 21:33 by loog droog.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: March 4, 2016 22:21

now look is his best!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 4, 2016 22:38

I´VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO for me ... i would put a couple others ahead of Now Look as well: Slide, 1234, Gimme Some Neck, and I Feel Like Playing. That said I still love Now Look!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 4, 2016 23:29

1. I FEEL LIKE PLAYING
2. GIMME SOME NECK
3. I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO
4. SLIDE ON THIS
5. NOW LOOK
6. 1234

7. NOT FOR BEGINNERS

GIMME SOME NECK was a favourite album of me age 15. Played it to dead. Just got into the Stones with SOME GIRLS in 1978 so a SOLO-album by Ron Wood with Charlie, Mick and Keith playing on it in 1979 was really cool! I loved it more than EMOTIONAL RESCUE a year later I think.

I FEEL LIKE PLAYING really surprised me. Did not expect such a great album at all by Ronnie in 2010. Only disadvantage is the of order the songs. WHY YOU WANNA GO AND... is a great song but not an opener, SWEETNESS IS MY WEAKNESS as a second song... Great SONGS all around but THING ABOUT YOU (song no. 5) is the natural opener of the bunch.... "Smell my guitar baby..."!!!

NOW LOOK was made up of leftovers from I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO and a new session with Bobby Womack. I think it is much weaker. Breathe On Me is a fantastic song and I Can't Stand The Rain a nice cover, but the rest of the songs on it are not significant.

Edit: There are some interesting BONUS-tracks from I FEEL LIKE PLAYING. Also a must have. Early versions of Tell Me Something, I Don't Think So, Why You Wanna Go And...., Spoonfull and I Gotta See. They make up a nice bonus disc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-05 00:26 by RipThisBone.

Date: March 6, 2016 07:04

Ron Wood hasn't made a bad solo album.
1 - Now Look - unified, lotsa soul
2 - 1234 - crazy sound, crazy lyrics, but rockin
3 - Got My Own Album - good songs are great, weak ones are ...weird
4 - Slide on This - really good writing,some cuts too slick
5 - Gimme Some Neck - probably the best songs all round but offset by that dreadful mix and mastering
6 - I Feel Like Playing - a bit long
7 - Not For Beginners - like loogdroog said re 'Now look': it takes some digging

I don't know why I wrote "weak ones" re. IGMOATD - there is only one I don't go for, and that is "Crotch Music"; it weighs the entire album down though.
And I also see that I have left out "Mahoney's Last Stand", a wonderful record. I'd put that at # 5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-06 21:15 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 6, 2016 08:43

The Japanese import of I've got my own album sounds really nice. Can't get If you got to make a fool out of my head, great song. I've ordered Now Look and will compare but IGMOATD is a classic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-06 08:49 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 7, 2016 07:09

It's such a shame that Mick & Keith kept him out of the song writing ring...
This guy co-wrote Stay With Me...the best bar song in history.

If some of his solo songs wound up on Emotional Rescue...that would have been awesome.

That Said..I have to say...I wouldn't change a track on Some Girls and Tattoo You...and he had some co-writes that made Tattoo You what it is...Tattoo You!

And he did get a cut or two on Undercover.

But based on his solo albums...he should have co-wrote more Stones songs.

The dude is SUPER TALENTED!

PECMAN

Date: March 7, 2016 10:56

1. SLIDE ON THIS: The closest we get to a classic among a Stone's solo albums?
2. I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO: Simply stunning!
3. NOW LOOK: Oozes of soul. Lovely recording!
4. I FEEL LIKE PLAYING: A very strong album. A big surprise for me.
5. 1234: Crazy sound, but the vibe here always brings a smile to my face.
6. GIMME SOME NECK: The mix is unbelievably amateurish. A coke binge. The playing is weak as well. Love it just the same.
7. NOT FOR BEGINNERS: some good stuff. One of the songs here is picked from an interlude on Rod's album? A bit sloppy in places, but enjoyable. Love the Dylan track.

All albums have qualities and a variety you won't find in Mick and Keith's albums, imo.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 7, 2016 11:03

DandelionPowderman
1. SLIDE ON THIS: The closest we get to a classic among a Stone's solo albums?
2. I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO: Simply stunning!
3. NOW LOOK: Oozes of soul. Lovely recording!
4. I FEEL LIKE PLAYING: A very strong album. A big surprise for me.
5. 1234: Crazy sound, but the vibe here always brings a smile to my face.
6. GIMME SOME NECK: The mix is unbelievably amateurish. A coke binge. The playing is weak as well. Love it just the same.
7. NOT FOR BEGINNERS: some good stuff. One of the songs here is picked from an interlude on Rod's album? A bit sloppy in places, but enjoyable. Love the Dylan track.

All albums have qualities and a variety you won't find in Mick and Keith's albums, imo.

agreed on no 1! First time Ronnie is doin a album with possible'Stones-songs'!

My no 1 as well. thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 7, 2016 12:38

Yeah, Ronnie made lovely albums (though soul music doesn't get my body moving like rock
'n roll does), and I agree that it is wonderful if he gets the chance to add his
creativity to Rolling Stones songs.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 8, 2016 06:33

I agree with Silver Dagger that Breathe On Me is the best thing he ever wrote followed CLOSELY by Pretty Beat Up, but still, his best LP is clearly

DIRTY WORK

after all, it is him and not Mick & Keith that made that record happen, no?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: March 8, 2016 08:50

?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2016 09:16

It's moments like these that we all need HMS .......

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2016 10:44

What about The Biff @#$%& Trio? This is blasphemy..

Date: March 8, 2016 13:05

Isn't it hard to tell when the Biff Hit ler (to avoid a set of unreadable characters) Trio
evolved into Expensive Wino's?

Anyway, Ronnie had a fair share of credits for songs on Dirty Work. It would be interesting
to witness how Ronnie brings in his ideas to sessions and how the respons of the Glimmer
Twins is. If his ideas are really good, will he be credited with "inspiration: Ron Wood"?

Date: March 8, 2016 13:34

Who was the third man in the trio, Jordan or Neville?

Date: March 8, 2016 13:45

According to an article in SPIN (august 1986) the Biff Hit ler Trio was a "loose assemblage
of roadies, friends and hired hands, whom Richards and Wood enlisted in the absence
of the regular members."
Since Steve Jordan, Ivan Neville and Charley Drayton all three have been credited on
Dirty Work, it's my private speculation that these three together were the odd named trio.

Date: March 8, 2016 13:55

marcovandereijk
According to an article in SPIN (august 1986) the Biff Hit ler Trio was a "loose assemblage
of roadies, friends and hired hands, whom Richards and Wood enlisted in the absence
of the regular members."
Since Steve Jordan, Ivan Neville and Charley Drayton all three have been credited on
Dirty Work, it's my private speculation that these three together were the odd named trio.

Good assumption. Keith, Ronnie and whomever who was hanging around smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home