Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

First Post
Posted by: wambambirmingham ()
Date: August 21, 2005 00:41

I have been coming to this excellent site for years and just decided to join. I became a fan after seeing Gimme Shelter when it was released in the early 70's. My first concert was in Tuscaloosa in 1972 and the most recent was Las Vegas in 2003. I met MJ in New Orleans in 1978 and had my picture taken with CW on the same day. My Stones highlight and the highlight of my honeymoon was in 1998 when after paying enough money, my wife and I got to tour Keith's home in Jamaica. Going through his CD collection was a treat. My wife has been to two concerts and my six year od son will attend his first concert later this year.

My thoughts on the new album after hearing seven songs are that this may be a special album, Mathijs' comments not withstanding (by the way, Mathijs I do not always agree with you but I search out your posts and read them all). Some who have heard all of the songs say it is their best in 20 years and that is encouraging. In my opinion, a Rolling Stones album has to be reviewed as a compilation and not after hearing only a few of the songs and rating them individually. It has been said here before but bears repeating that like fine wine, a Rolling Stones album gets better with time. I remember buying EOMS when it was released and my first impression was complete disappointment. After four or five listens i started liking it and today it is my all time classic. I remember that RS magazine panned the album in its review saying that only TD was a great song. Today that same magazine rates it as a classic. I will buy the album, take a few listens and expect to enjoy it thoroughly.

Re: First Post
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 21, 2005 00:45

Hey wambam welcome....BUT how about tellin' us what's in Keith's CD collection!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: August 21, 2005 00:48

He had a stereo that was something you would buy for $300 at Best Buy and the collection included alot of Stones, reggae, R&B and the many Bob Dylan CDs.

Date: August 21, 2005 00:58

Yeah yeah...what R&B reggae albums...can ya remember?

ROCKMAN

Date: August 21, 2005 01:02

Rockman, I do not remember anything specific except many local Jamaican artists.

Date: August 21, 2005 01:05

OK sorry for pushin' ya....was Keith there?

ROCKMAN

Date: August 21, 2005 01:13

No, he was not there. The house is at the very top of the mountain near Ochos Rios. I had a tour guide who took us there. The only ones there were a person at the iron gate, a couple of maids and probably 10 dogs. I got to go through each room but his bedroom. Each band members' phone number was on a list next to his phone but I did not think it proper to write them down, I was a guest of course. It was very neat and scarfs were hung throughout the house. I have some great pictures of the home.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 21, 2005 01:17

wambam ,,great post ,,glad to here u r passin on the stones torch 2 your son,,ya no after his 1st stones gig he'll be a fan 4ever,,did ya c that 78 tour N.Orleans gig ,,how was it

Date: August 21, 2005 01:21

Thanks, Chippy. My son is already a great fan after seeing Four Flicks. I talked to MJ for maybe 20 seconds on the way to the show. I told him I loved the band, showed him the Poloraid of Charlie and me and asked him if they were doing Angie that night. He said no and got in his limo. It was at the Royal Orleans hotel in New Orleans.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 21, 2005 02:09

Welcome on board. I love Gimme Shelter. That is why I don't like Arena shows on LICKS. We did not get Gimme Shelter. The ultimate Stones song. But they have other great songs of course. Tomorrow this time I will be waiting to have them on stage any minute here in Boston...

Bjornulf

Date: August 21, 2005 02:15

Thanks, Bjornulf. You have a great site, I only wish you posted more often. I love the song but I was referring to Gimme Shelter the movie/documentary. Enjoy the show tomorrow and keep us updated as you always do.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 21, 2005 02:19

wow..what a great story about Keith's house!!

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 21, 2005 02:20

hey bjornulf,,Gimmie Shelter would make a nice b- stage #,,, with lisa,,,hope they do it for ya

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 21, 2005 07:16

The band's phone NUMBERS????? Oh GAWD! For some reason I have a photgraphic memory when it comes to phone numbers. I don't really remember the numbers. I have to see them written down and then I remember the picture of the number. So if I had only seen that list. I would love to have that cellphone numnber of the Jagger. To me this is just midboggling: a phone list that has a list of Mick and Ronnie and Charlie and Bill LOL. To us they are these icons. But I guess to some people they are like the circle of friends and neccessary contacts.
I swear I can not get over it. "There's Micky's number, and there's Big Bill. And ooh there's Ronnie too..." I wonder what keith says when he calls jagger. Does he evn ever call him? Does he have to say "Hi, it's Keith. KEITH! ....Richards! You know, the guitar guy..." or does he just start talking like families do to each other?

Date: August 21, 2005 07:30

Ring..ring...ring..

"ello, Mick speaking"

" Hey man listen I got this @#$%&' cool riff...listen"...Rrrr Rarrr grrrr

" Aw Keef that is so so goooood...play it for me again"

Rrrrr Rarrr grrrr...Clang ..RRRRRR!!!

" I got these lyrics Keef...My baby done stripped me of my crown...dah dah"

" OK stay there Mick.. I'm on my way over baby...see ya soon....Click brrrr.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 21, 2005 08:40

"My thoughts on the new album after hearing seven songs are that this may be a special album"

Yes wambambirmingham, i have the same sense after hearing 5 songs.

(Mathijs? Who Mathijs? Mathijs (1) or Mathijs (2)? I appreciate his knowledge, but unfortunately he often deny himself. Look at the review and at the following "explanations". Full of points contradicting each other. I think Mathijs is a bit confused because the Stones are giving us nice, even great songs denying his favourite pessimistic nagging...)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 21, 2005 19:04

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ring..ring...ring..
>
> "ello, Mick speaking"
>
> " Hey man listen I got this @#$%&' cool
> riff...listen"...Rrrr Rarrr grrrr
>
> " Aw Keef that is so so goooood...play it for me
> again"
>
> Rrrrr Rarrr grrrr...Clang ..RRRRRR!!!
>
> " I got these lyrics Keef...My baby done stripped
> me of my crown...dah dah"
>
> " OK stay there Mick.. I'm on my way over
> baby...see ya soon....Click brrrr.
>
>
> ROCKMAN
>

HehehaHAHA!! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 21, 2005 21:36

welcome aboard. Great story. I would love to listen to his Reggae collection

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home