Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LA 1981 Pics
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 23, 2016 16:50

Check this out. Some great pics here.

[framework.latimes.com]

Re: LA 1981 Pics
Date: February 23, 2016 17:26

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 23, 2016 17:35

Obviously no problems selling tickets back then. That's a packed stadium!

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: February 23, 2016 18:06

Cool!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2016 18:32

Goodness gracious thanks, haven't seeen those before!
I was at two of those L.A. shows (will have to check stubs for exact dates)- first time seeing the Stones.
The entire stadium was GA - the first day/night survived the field about 30 rows back, the next night played it safe sitting lower bowl about 1/3 way back from stage.
Mayhem and sensory overload...I was in total bliss for months afterwards proudly wearing my dragon shirt to school almost daily.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 23, 2016 19:57

Thanks for sharing. There's a lot of pics I haven't seen before like this one, which it's a great photo.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: February 23, 2016 20:28

Really cool pictures, but this tour was one that is a was big mistake to use black and white film. The colors exploded on this tour.

Date: February 23, 2016 20:32

jambay
Really cool pictures, but this tour was one that is a was big mistake to use black and white film. The colors exploded on this tour.

The LA Times (and most newspapers at the time) did not have color presses, so most photos are Black & White in the archives.

Date: February 23, 2016 20:43

Kennedy
jambay

The LA Times (and most newspapers at the time) did not have color presses, so most photos are Black & White in the archives.

It is not much of an issue to shoot on color and print on B/W, but I understand what you are saying, b/w was the rule at most newpapers, but just the same, it was a mistake to shoot these shows not in color. I am not being pissy, insulting anyone or calling anyone dumb.

I am mostly saying it is stunning to see a picture like this of that colorful tour not in color.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 20:44 by jambay.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: February 23, 2016 23:57

one of my boots (can't remember the day) has mick complaining about showco losing power at the previous show. something along the lines of "hey, showco! think you can keep the effing power on this time." it was around the third song.

anyone know the story.

Date: February 24, 2016 02:54

jambay
Kennedy
jambay

It is not much of an issue to shoot on color and print on B/W, but I understand what you are saying, b/w was the rule at most newpapers, but just the same, it was a mistake to shoot these shows not in color. I am not being pissy, insulting anyone or calling anyone dumb.

I am mostly saying it is stunning to see a picture like this of that colorful tour not in color.

I could not agree more! Imagine how brilliant these shots would have been in color!!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 24, 2016 03:23

The black n whites are perfect.

Date: February 24, 2016 03:44

Kennedy
jambay
Kennedy
jambay

[i.imgur.com]

I could not agree more! Imagine how brilliant these shots would have been in color!!
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Kodachrome

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-24 05:51 by jambay.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 24, 2016 04:30

Awesome pics thanks for the link. There is still something captivating about black and white pictures. You can't forget that our eyes have a sent of black and white sensors and a separate set of colour sensors. It's almost like losing the colour is only like losing 10% of the information and 90% remains in the monochrome image. The impact is still there.

Date: February 24, 2016 05:01

MileHigh
Awesome pics thanks for the link. There is still something captivating about black and white pictures. You can't forget that our eyes have a sent of black and white sensors and a separate set of colour sensors. It's almost like losing the colour is only like losing 10% of the information and 90% remains in the monochrome image. The impact is still there.

thumbs up

The thought of color photos didn't even cross my mind when viewing the quality of these pics.
There's something dramatic about black and white photography, and these are indeed dramatic and captivating.
There's also an artistic vibe with black and white pics that sometimes color doesn't capture.
Sometimes color can be 'overkill', while the black and white allows for the imagination to fill in the blanks.

Bottom line - thankful these photos exist at all, they're amazing.

ps - After reading the article and double checking itineraries, I see there were only two shows at the Coliseum (for some reason I thought there were three).
Now I don't have to check ticket stubs to see which two I was at - Oct 9 and 11 it is! cool smiley

Date: February 24, 2016 05:12

The 1981 tour was a blaze of color because they knew many dates would be played during the day. The ONLY reason these picture are b/w is because they are from a newspaper person.

There is a time and place for black and white pictures and the Stones tour 1981 is NOT one of them. I agree it is nice these b/w pictures exist at all and are cool to look at, but to say they are better in black and white? Just like people would much rather their 40 inch flat screens in black white because the color is just too much?

Date: February 24, 2016 05:25

Haha nice point regarding flat screens jambay, but I never said these specific pics are "better" because they are black and white.
I was saying in response to Milehigh's post that sometimes (and generally speaking), black and white can be more artistic and dramatic.

These pics are high quality, and the black and white indeed adds a dramatic and artistic effect imo, but I agree - it would be great to see these in color.
Again though, I'm happy they exist at all.thumbs up

Date: February 24, 2016 05:48

Hairball
Haha nice point regarding flat screens jambay, but I never said these specific pics are "better" because they are black and white.
I was saying in response to Milehigh's post that sometimes (and generally speaking), black and white can be more artistic and dramatic.

These pics are high quality, and the black and white indeed adds a dramatic and artistic effect imo, but I agree - it would be great to see these in color.
smileys with beer

I will say that Young Frankenstein is one of the my favorite mobies smiling smiley
and I think the Beverly Hillbilly's in black and white are the best, once they went to color the show was all down hill, although I feel just the opposite about Gilligan's Island.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: February 24, 2016 07:02

Cool Shots, First Tour I saw them on, @ SuperDome in N.O. They set an all time indoor record that night, I think it stood for a long time before being broke...

Date: February 24, 2016 07:37

jambay
Hairball

smileys with beer

I will say that Young Frankenstein is one of the my favorite mobies smiling smiley
and I think the Beverly Hillbilly's in black and white are the best, once they went to color the show was all down hill, although I feel just the opposite about Gilligan's Island.

Yes Young Frankenstein is a favorite of mine as well.

Then there's the fine black and white quality of The Andy Griffith show which eventually evolved into the inferior Mayberry RFD which was in color (Andy, Barnie, and Opie only appear in the first episode).
As for Gomer Pyle, still on the fence on which version is better - the early black and white or the later color episodes...kind of leaning towards the color. smiling smiley

Date: February 24, 2016 10:50

I have the bootlegs, but how were the shows – for you who were there?

Great pics! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home