Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How does the band split the money ??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2005 07:17

Any guesses as to how the Stones Tours are financially structured these days ?

There's 4 "primary stones": mick, keith, ronnie, charlie

There's several "10 & 20 year tour vets": like chuck, bobby, lisa, etc. etc.

Do the 4 primary guys split the lions share and have the others on a percentage of the remainder ? Or are the others salaried ?

Do Keith and Mick get an extra slice for their songrights ?

So, just taking a wild guess at Fenway for example: 40,000 seats X 125.00 average price (probably low) = $5 million gross, give or take.... how's that divided up do you think ?

Re: How does the band split the money ??
Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 20, 2005 09:15

That is a gem of a question, I doubt if that info ever becomes public but I'm guessing Keith and Mick are good for at least 70%

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 20, 2005 09:28

As concert promotor, wouldn't Michael Cohl have guarantees for each show to the band? I would think that each of the four Stones would get approximately equal share while perhaps all the side musicians are salaried employees?
I know that last years Van Halen reunion tour was good financially for the band because they got high guaranteed amounts but the promotors took large hits on some of the shows because the attendance figures weren't there.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2005 10:51

hutz13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a gem of a question, I doubt if that info
> ever becomes public but I'm guessing Keith and
> Mick are good for at least 70%
>
>

Assuming 70% is correct, then for a $5 million gross handle, figure 4 million net somehow, with, say 75% of that going to the fab four, then 70% is a cool million a night for EACH guy ( Mick and Keith) for a medium-size stadium show.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2005 11:12

why would one assume the Glimmer Twins get 70% of the income for performing??
yes they make more than the others due to songwriting royalties, but that has nothing to do with how the bandmembers split the money for performances. it's like that myth that Mick gets $100,000 extra every time they play Satisfaction - people are mixing up apples and doughnuts (and then exaggerating).

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2005 11:14

They throw it all on the ground and spit on the notes they want....!!!

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-20 11:26 by Rockman.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 20, 2005 20:47

for voodoo lounge i read it went something like this for the stones only ,,,35% each to mick & keith ,,20% to charlie ,,10% to woody,,,,the article did not mention backup band members

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 21, 2005 01:03

chippy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for voodoo lounge i read it went something like
> this for the stones only ,,,35% each to mick &
> keith ,,20% to charlie ,,10% to woody,,,,the
> article did not mention backup band members

Imagine how little they'd get if they had to pay the bass player.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 21, 2005 01:17

It varies from band to band but side musicians are usually salaried. I just finished reading Neighborhood Threat:Life On The Road With Iggy Pop by Alvin Gibbs the bass player on the UK tour. He got $1500 a week and a $30 a day per diem. I think I read Bobby Keyes gets $5000 a show though not sure if they are really paid on a per show or per week basis (considering they have been working over a month).

Usually there are guarantees, but those aren't necessary a flat fee for appearing but a guaranteed minimum amount. I heard Motley Crue's average guarantee for their latest tour was something like 150k for 5k tickets sold - luckily for them (and the promotor) in most cases ticket sales exceeded 5,000 therefore there was more money to be made, though no idea how the additional was split up.

As far as how the band splits up the money, who knows? I am sure Keith/Mick/Charlie have an even split on their share of ticket sales/merchandising etc.

Also Fenway's capacity for these gigs is 30,000.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 21, 2005 01:18

The four band members get an equal share of everything, except royalties and publishing which would be split solely between the songwriters (usually Mick and keith of course).

Everyone else is a paid employee who are contracted to the band for a certain period, no doubt with varying wage levels between them

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 21, 2005 02:12

Thanks Gazza it took awhile to get to the basic point. Anyone reads Wyman's books knows quite a few tidbits about the financial issues - the band (RS) split the money from perfomances/records 4 (formerly 5) ways, then MJ/KR (& occasionally RW, at least until Steel Wheels) split the songwriting/publishing royalties, & I don't know how MJ/KR work it out for co-producers - recall credits like "Produced by the Glimmer Twins. Associate Producer Chris Kimsey"....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 21, 2005 02:13

well..yes, as co-producers they would obviously get an additional cut too

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: August 21, 2005 02:19

did they stripe mick taylor ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home