Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 24, 2016 08:28

-----------

BILL WYMAN (Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star - 1981 US promotional 2-track 12" vinyl - includes Rio De Janeiro SP-12041

February 9-13, 1981 The Sol, Cookham, Berkshire: BILL WYMAN, (SI SI) JE SUIS UN ROCK STAR
(12" Single, Ripple Rec.-A&M SP 12041 US, Aug. 25, 1981/Single, Ripple Rec.-A&M AMS 12-9157 UK, Nov. 1981): 1. (Si, Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star (Extended Version) (Wyman)

----------

[www.youtube.com] (Si, Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star (Lip-synched performance)

July 9, 1981 BBC studios, London: BILL WYMAN, TV recordings for “Top Of The Pops”
(shown July 30, 1981, and rebroadcast Aug. 13, 1981):

BW: synthesizer, bass, vocals; Terry Taylor: guitar; Bruce Rowland: drums

CREDIT: [aeppli.ch]

[www.youtube.com]
Rio De Janeiro - Bill Wyman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 08:31 by exilestones.

Date: March 24, 2016 08:49

In 1981 Bill Wyman only had one suit?

London 1981

not that, for the sake of clarity, the measure of anyone should be in how many suits they have. there are far better people in this world, look you see, that own less suits than i, where
are there are people who have probably 100 times as many suits as i do yet they are far worse than i could ever be. Sepp Blatter comes to mind in relation to one of these circumstances, for instance.

the exciting news that a box set of Bill Wyman's four best solo albums is to be released soon brought to mind the very best of those four, the one that was so immediately good that Bill Wyman,
for ease of reference, simply called it Bill Wyman.

Wochester 1981

well, when i say "best", it has two songs on it that have merit. Come Back Suzanne is one of them, as it features the most amazing electro-funk styled echoed bass that any record by someone who was in the
Ro££ing $tone$ for more than 25 years but less than 35 years has ever made. also, it features debut, as far as recorded history is concerned, of the line "i can't stand it" in a cockney drawl ("hoi carnt shtaaaand it", if you will), a line and performance which has formed some 40% of the dialogue for EastEnders ever since.

London 1981

the other song off of it was of course Je Suis Un Rock Star, in which Bill celebrates how he has easy access to sex, travel by Concorde and drugs in his position as the most senior bass

player in a rock band.

sadly, the line "Si Si" which Bill regularly sings in the song has not, thus far, been picked up as potential dialogue by soap opera writers as such as yet, but perhaps one day it will.

it is this second song - hence me keeping it for second, i suppose - that came to mind when i pondered my thoughts, feelings and overall ideas around the fact that a Bill Wyman box set will

very much be a thing at the end of June. specifically the video came to mind, hence the still from it you see here. although the part of the video that came to mind is not quite so clear in

this picture as it could be. yeah, i am talking of the suit.

New York 1981

Bill Wyman by Bill Wyman was released in 1981, as was Tattoo You by the Ro££ing $tone$; an album that would seem to be their last ever truly great record as a whole. and it is a really

great album, by the way. so good that, now that i think, i shall brave Apple software and do it as a bus vibes.

the lead single of of the album was Start Me Up, a single that featured one of the most simple yet celebrated promo videos of all time. this still should give you a clue to why this
came to mind when news of a Bill Wyman box set broke, although i suppose the title of this post does that anyway.

yes. unless i am very much mistaken, which i could possibly be, Bill Wyman has the same pale blue with light pastel white coloured strides suit on in both of these promotional videos from
1981. actually, it could be the same tie too, but he would appear to have changed his shirt at the least. underpants? i very much doubt that in this era Bill or any member of the $tone$

wore them, in truth. and why would i know or care what sort of socks that Bill or any of them had on ever?

Bill Wyman - (Si, Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star (TOTP2 Live Performance) in that blue suit!
a snippet of the video for Je Suis Un Rock Star? i don't see why not, as it would save you leaving this page to google it. pretty much everything you could want to know of the video is

included in these ten or so seconds anyway, but if you don't believe me do feel free to search for it directly.

i suppose i should do a snippet off of Come Back Suzanne to show off the sensational lyric delivery and fantastic bass, but i can't remember what, if any, suit he had on in that one.

Bill Wyman probably did own more than one suit in 1981 (there was an identical yellow suit), by the way. perhaps he simply made both of these videos on the same day, or the production
manager for $tone$ videos just said to Bill that it would be really smart if he wore the same suit in both videos, as people would probably still be talking about it some 35 years later!

- author unknown

Philadelphia 1981

Bill Wyman, Bob Dylan, and Harry Dean Stanton LA 1981
[solomonscane.tumblr.com]

Date: March 24, 2016 09:02

Date: March 24, 2016 09:12

PROMO

--------------

October 10, 1981 Promotional video shooting, Los Angeles: BILL WYMAN, “BILL WYMAN,” video

video: [www.youtube.com]
“Come Back Suzanne” (Wyman) (Lip-synched performance)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 11:12 by exilestones.

Date: March 24, 2016 09:15

[i.ebayimg.com]

[www.ebay.co.uk]

[aeppli.ch]

Late December, 1981 – January 6, 1982 The Sol, Cookham, Berkshire: BILL WYMAN, BILL WYMAN
(Ripple Rec.-A&M AMLH 68540 [UK], March 26, 1982; also released as picture disc, Ripple Rec.-
A&M AMLH 68540 [UK], Spring, 1982

1. Ride On Baby (Wyman, Wyman),
2. A New Fashion (Wyman, Taylor),
3. Nuclear
Reactions (Wyman),
4. Visions (Wyman, Taylor),
5. Jump Up (Wyman, Kimsey),
6. Come Back
Suzanne,
7. Rio De Janeiro,
8. Girls,
9. Seventeen,
10. (Si, Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star (all Wyman)

Line up cuts 1-5, 8: BW: bass, vocals, synthesizer, harmonica, guitar, producer; Terry Taylor:
guitar, back-up vocals; Brian Setzer (1), Chris Rea (4): guitar; Dave Mattacks: drums; Stephen
Wyman (1), Dave Lawson (2-5, 8): synthesizer; Mel Collins, Martin Drover, Annie Whitehead:
brass (5); Stuart Epps, The Cookham Cookies: back-up vocals (5, 8); Chris Kimsey: producer,
back-up vocals; – NOTES: Cuts 6, 7, 9, 10 (6, 7, 10 in edited form): Previously released on
single, see Entries 8047A & 8048 above.

Singles, partly remixed, taken from the original album:
BILL WYMAN, Single (Ripple Rec.-A&M AMS 8209 [UK], March 5, 1982): A New Fashion/Girls;
BILL WYMAN, Single (Ripple Rec.-A&M AMS 8227 [UK], June 25, 1982): 11. Visions (Single Edit)/Nuclear Reactions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 09:40 by exilestones.

Date: March 24, 2016 09:22

MEGA RARE BILL WYMAN BILL WYMAN 10" PICTURE DISC - LTD EDN 1962 ONLY - UNRELEASED TRACKS

photos taken in South of France 1981 at Bill Wyman's home.

MEGA RARE BILL WYMAN ( EX ROLLING STONES ) 45 RPM 10" FOUR TRACK TWO SIDED PICTURE DISC. THIS WAS ISSUED ON 25 AUGUST 2013 AS PART OF A LARGE TABLE-TOP BOOK PUBLICATION. IT WAS INSIDE THE BACK COVER AND IS LIMITED TO 1,963 COPIES WORLDWIDE

SIDE A : ( SI SI ) JE SUIS UN ROCK STAR - DEMO [2:42]

( SI SI ) JE SUIS UN ROCK STAR - SINGLE [3:21]

SIDE B : COME BACK SUZANNE - DEMO [2:39]

COME BACK SUZANNE - SINGLE [2:52].

TWO OF THE TRACKS ARE UNRELEASED ELSEWHERE.

[www.youtube.com]
Come Back Suzanne (Demo)

[www.youtube.com]
(Si, Si) Je suis un rock star [Demo]

[www.youtube.com]
(Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star (SINGLE EDIT)

[www.ebay.ie]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 09:52 by exilestones.

Date: March 24, 2016 09:29

[www.youtube.com]
A New Fashion

"A New Fashion" was the third single from the Self-titled album "Bill Wyman."

February, 1982 Promotional video shooting, probably London: BILL WYMAN, “BILL WYMAN,”
video (Ripple-Virgin VVC 046 [UK]

[www.youtube.com]
A New Fashion - Live with backing track

“BILL WYMAN: VIDEO 45”

1. “A New Fashion,”
2. “A New Fashion (other take)” (both Wyman, Taylor)
New mix of song including graphic art

3. “Nuclear Reactions” (Wyman)

directed by BILL Wyman

[www.youtube.com]
"Nuclear Reactions" (1982)

---------

Bill Wyman's A New Fashion, one of his solo tracks being performed on TV in 1982.

Performance on Musikladen TV Show)[/url]
Bill Wyman's A New Fashion music video Bill Wyman

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 10:11 by exilestones.

Date: March 24, 2016 09:58

Date: March 24, 2016 10:03

Bill Wyman "Visions" from the album "Bill Wyman" - 1982 link
Bill Wyman feat Chris Rea - Visions video

Green Ice is the soundtrack to the 1981 United Kingdom science fiction film Green Ice starring Ryan O'Neal. The soundtrack was recorded by Bill Wyman and contains 18 original songs.

In 1981 Wyman composed the soundtrack album Green Ice for the Ryan O'Neal/Omar Sharif film of the same name (Green Ice).

This rare recording shows Bill stretch his musical muscle and venture into the world of

composing cinematic scores. Bill also composed the scores for the films Phenomena and Terror At The Opera in the 1980s.

Bill Wyman - bass guitar and guitars and harmonica and synthesizers and percussion

Terry Taylor - acoustic, electric and Spanish guitars and kyoto, synthesizers and percussion

Dave Mattacks - drums and Latin percussion

Dave Richmond - bass guitar on Tenderness and Floating

Kenny Baker - trumpet on Sol Y Sombro and Green Ice Main Theme

Tristian Fry - Marimba on Noche De Amor

Maria Muldaur - solo vocals on Tenderness and Floating

Maria Muldaur, Doreen Chanter and Stuart Epps - backing vocals

Dave Lawson - vocoder, synthesizer on "Floating (Cloudhopper Theme)" and "Emerald Vault"

Ken Thorne - orchestral conductor and arranger

Recorded by Stuart Epps and John Richards

Mixed by Chris Kimsey courtesy of Chris Kimsey Productions Ltd.

Video Link
"Floating" (Cloudhopper Theme) is one of the scores (composed by Bill Wyman)
From the 1981 movie Green Ice sung by Maria Muldaur.

I can imagine Bill singing this song! -ed

November 10, 1980 – Spring, 1981 The Sol, Cookham, Berkshire, and/or Advision Studios,

London:
BILL WYMAN, GREEN ICE, Original Soundtrack (Polydor POLS 1031, June 8, 1981); “GREEN ICE,”
film (directed by Ernest Day, premiered in London, May 21, 1981; released on video,

Precision VITC

3060 [UK], 1982/Channel 5 CFV 02302 [UK]

1. Si Si,
2. Beach Chase,
3. Holbrooks House (Green Ice Theme),
4. Floating
(Cloudhopper Theme),
5. Emerald Guitars,
6. Emerald Vault,
7. The Water Bottle (all Wyman),
8. Noche De Amor (Wyman, Taylor),
9. Colombia (Green Ice Opening Titles),
10. Tenderness,
11. Showdown,
12. Cloudhoppers,
13. Churchyard (Green Ice Theme),
14. The Mines (all Wyman),
15. Sol Y Sombra (Wyman, Taylor),
16. Miami Arrival (Wyman), 17. Emerald Waltz (Taylor),
18. Si, Si – Reprise (Wyman)

BW: bass, guitar, harmonica, synthesizer, percussion, producer (but no actual film

performance);

Terry Taylor: guitar, kyoto, synthesizer, percussion;

Ray Cooper: percussion;

Dave Mattacks:drums, percussion; Dave Richmond: bass (4, 10); Maria Muldaur: vocals (4,

10), back-up vocals;
Kenny Baker: trumpet (9, 15); Tristan Fry (8): marimba; Dave Lawson (4, 6): vocoder,

synthesizer;
Doreen Chanter, Stuart Epps: back-up vocals; Chris Kimsey: mix.

Singles, partly remixed, to accompany the original album:

[www.youtube.com]
Maria Muldaur - Tenderness

MARIA MULDAUR (A-side)/BILL WYMAN (B-side), Promotional (?) single (Polydor POSP 259 [UK],
May 1, 1981): Tenderness/Noche De Amor;
BILL WYMAN, Promotional (?) single (Polydor POSP 291 [UK], late 1981): 19. Green Ice Theme
[actually Green Ice Opening Titles [Edit]]/Cloudhoppers]

A Maria Muldaur Tendernes - Bill Wyman
B Bill Wyman Noche De Amor - Bill Wyman, Terry Taylor, Ken Thorne

[www.youtube.com]
Note: Maria Muldaur's big hit was "Midnight at the Oasis (send your camel to bed)."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 11:02 by exilestones.

Date: March 24, 2016 11:07

Wyman photo 1982

White Lightnin’ The Solo Box features four of Bill’s albums and a special DVD feature Interviews, Promo Videos (tracks 2-8) and BBC TV Clips (tracks 9-12)

This box contains all four solo albums by Bill Wyman, the first Rolling Stone to release a solo record. The first two (from 1974 and 1976, both issued on Rolling Stones Records) were made

the help of a galaxy of musical friends like Lowell George, Dr John, Joe Walsh, Van Morrison, the Pointer Sisters, Danny Kortchmar, Dallas Taylor, Leon Russell, Bob Welch and Nicky Hopkins.

The eponymous third album was home to Bill’s 1981 big hit single “(Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star”, while fourth album “Stuff” appeared in 1992, originally in Japan only. The albums are

bolstered by 24 bonus tracks, four of which are previously unreleased (two demos and two 12” mixes).

Also included is a DVD featuring a brand new interview with Bill conducted by David Hepworth, eight promo videos, and a variety of TV clips from the BBC archives. The 40 page booklet

contains all the credits, the lyrics and new annotation by David Wells.

Date: March 25, 2016 20:02

Date: March 25, 2016 20:55

The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards on drugs & rock 'n' roll - Newsnight archives (1982)

In 1982 The Rolling Stones' guitarist Keith Richards spoke to Robin Denselow about life, music, drugs - and carrying a gun. This is part of our Newsnight Archives series

[www.youtube.com]

Great video FOOTAGE from Hippodrome d'Auteuil

Date: March 25, 2016 21:08

PARIS

---- ----

June 13, 1982

----- -----
June 12, 1982 [blogapar.over-blog.net]

Rolling Stones at the Hippodorome d’Auteil

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-25 21:42 by exilestones.

Date: March 25, 2016 21:26

ROTTERDAM

Boccon-Gibod-Sipa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-25 21:45 by exilestones.

Date: March 25, 2016 22:09

NEW CASTLE

----- -----

June 23, 1982

------

The Rolling Stones - St James Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, June 23rd 1982

Support Acts: J Geils Band, George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

The Rolling Stones were on tour across Europe again in 1982, some 6 years after their last UK appearances, in support of their album, Tattoo You. UK Fans had waited a long time for this tour, and anticipation was high. The tour took in a mix of venues from small concerts halls in Scotland, to stadiums in Newcastle and London.

I queued for hours outside St James Park to get tickets for the Newcastle gig. People slept all night outside the ground and the queue weaved its way around all the surrounding streets.

After a few hours in the queue I managed to get tickets for the gig. This was the first gig at the Newcastle ground and the local fans were determined to give the band a good reception.

Support acts came from George Thorogood and the J Geils Band, who had recently had a hit with their single Centrefold.

The Stones started with Under My Thumb, which was quite unexpected for me. I’d become used to them opening with big hits like Jumpin’ Jack Flash. The show was quite long, although not as long as their Knebworth set. We started off sitting in the stand opposite the stage, and spent some time wandering around the pitch. The gig was general admission, so you could wander around the stadium freely. The Stones played well, but not great, and the sound wasn’t too hot. I missed the intimacy of the City Hall gigs.

Reports from the time suggest that there was friction in the band, particularly between Mick and Keith, and the shows got mixed reviews. This was their first mega tour of Europe, and followed on from a massively successful US tour, which was the biggest grossing tour of 1981. This was the start of a pattern for the Stones, of stadium gigs, based on a massive stage show, every few years.

[vintagerock.wordpress.com]

more:
[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-28 20:31 by exilestones.

Date: March 26, 2016 19:59

I found a few posts on You Tube by Bård Andersson, highlighting Mick Taylor's guitar work with the Rolling Stones 1981, Kansas City.

Mick Taylor's guitar playing with the Stones in KC 1981
[www.youtube.com]

.==++==.     .=+=.
                   +=+@@@@@@++++++@@@@@++
                 ==+=+++++@=+=++++++++@=++
               .+++=+=+++=+=++++++=+=+==++:
             .=++= @@@@@@&+++++@@@@&+++++++:
           .++='     &@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@++=+++=
        .=+=:'    .==+=.     &@@@@'++@@,. +=+=+.
          +=++ .++=+++==  .====+=++++++=+=+ =+++'
            :++++=@@=+ =+=+=+++++@@++++= +++++
           ++=++@@++ +=+++==+=+@@++++= ++=+
          +=++@@+++ +==+++===@@#+++= =++++
         =+++@@==='+=======+@@++== +++++'
        ====@@==='=======+=@@++== =++++
       ++++@@@=+.==+======@@@=== ==+=+
       ++==@@+++=++=+====@@@+== ===++
       ++=++====+=+=+==@@@@=== =+++
       '=+=+====+=+=+==@@@=== .='
         +==++=++=+=+=+=+==='
           +=+++=========='
             ''=+====='

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 18:05 by exilestones.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: March 26, 2016 20:41

exilestones

June 13, 1982

The drumkit that is covered over, seen behind Keiths amp, is that because J. Geils band opened for the Stones both nights?

Big T

Date: March 29, 2016 23:09

WAITING ON A FRIEND

Stones LP, Tour Due Soon

Band began filming video for new single "Waiting on a Friend" off the upcoming album, tentatively titled 'Tattoo You'

By Rolling Stone August 20, 1981

Nancy Hayman                                                                                         David Gahr

Meanwhile, back in the States, the Rolling Stones converged on Greenwich Village in Manhattan to shoot a promotional video for "Waiting on a Friend," a song from their forthcoming album.

With a camera crew grinding away under the guidance of Michael Lindsay-Hogg (director of the Beatles' Let It Be), the action opened with Mick Jagger sitting on a front stoop chatting with

some locals. Soon he was joined by Keith Richards,

and the two strolled up the street, lipsyncing the song's lyrics along the way.

They turned into a "local pub" (actually, the St. Mark's 
                 Bar and Grill, a popular Village bistro), where they joined Ron Wood,
                         Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts — the "local band" — 
                    and the group commenced pounding out the rest of the tune.

St Marks Bar and Grill is no longer there.

After the filming, the Stones launched into a brief garage-band-style jam for the few patrons in the bar, while a small crowd outside cheered.

So where's the album? It's now due out the third week of August; entitled Tattoo You, it will include ten tracks in addition to "Waiting on a Friend." As for their tour, the Stones began

two weeks of intensive, twelve-hour-a-day rehearsals in New York on July 14th; by then, they were due to decide whether they were ready to go out and, as one Stones insider enticingly put

it, "do the kind of tour they want to do."

Lipsyncing the song's lyrics along the way - Keizo Kitajima

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-01 00:01 by exilestones.

Date: March 29, 2016 23:18

It took the Rolling Stones nearly a decade to finish ‘Waiting on a Friend.’ Although released on 1981’s ‘Tattoo You,’
the song was started in 1972 in Kingston, Jamaica during the recording of 1973’s ‘Goats Head Soup.’

Dynamic Studios, Kingston Jamacia - photo by Dean Goodman (left) [www.deangoodman.com]

There are no musician credits on Tattoo You, but it is clear that Mick Taylor contributed on guitar and features Nicky Hopkins
on piano, Jimmy Miller on percussion and Kasper Winding on tambourine. Winding was a Danish session drummer who played on the
Tattoo You sessions.

Kasper Winding                         Jimmy Miller             Keith  on the couch, Jagger and Jimmy Miller in background.        Sonny Rollins               Nicky Hopkins

Jazz legend, Sonny Rollins breezy saxophone fits appropriately, the mid-tempo song feels tropical, with lilting piano, loping grooves,
understated Mick Taylor guitar licks with Nicky Hopkins playing graceful piano runs against Richards' fragile strumming.
Rollins also played on this as well as the tracks "Slave" and "Neighbors."

As Jagger recalled, "I said (to Sonny Rollins), 'Would you like me to stay out there in the studio?' He said, 'Yeah, you tell me
where you want me to play and dance the part out.'" So Jagger danced, Rollins translated the moves into sax glory and "Waiting On a Friend"
closes out Tattoo You in style.

Jagger finished the lyrics in 1981 and delivered one of his masterfully soulful vocal performances, ruminating over a case of grown-up
loneliness. "The lyric I added was very gentle and loving," Jagger said years later. "About friendships in the band."

Mick Jagger said in 1983: "Just let me be cynical for a moment. First of all, it's really not about waiting on a woman friend.
It's just about a friend; it doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman. I can see people saying,’ Oh, we're all much older now,
Mick's writing this much more compassionate stuff, must be about a real person.’ But that's only in their perception of it."

The song is full of feel-good sentiments centered around the importance of friendship, not hell-raising or lust:
‘I’m not waiting on a lady / I’m just waiting on a friend.’

Released as a single, “Waiting on a Friend” did very well in America thanks to the advent of MTV; the network launched in 1981
and was thrilled to have a new video by a rock band of The Stones' stature. The video ran constantly on MTV along with the
“Start Me Up” and “Hang Fire” promo videos.

The promo video, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, features Jagger and Richards meeting on a on a stoop on New York's St. Mark's Place,
then going to a local bar (St. Mark’s Bar & Grill) to join the rest of the Stones.

Reggae legend Peter Tosh reportedly (by Rolling Stone magazine) is the Rasta sitting
on the stoop with Mick Jagger. People said that there's also Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare
but I don't think so. Some people say it's not Peter Tosh either. You decide.

Sly Dunbar with Keith Richards and Robbie Shakespeare

Mick Taylor                                           Mick Jagger & Jimmy Miller, Dynamic Sounds Studios 1972                                   Charlie Watts Dynamic Sounds Studios 1972                             Bill at Dynamic Sound

Waiting on a Friend

Recording of "Waiting on a Friend" (as 'Waiting for a Friend') began in late 1972 through early 1973 in Kingston, Jamaica, during the Goats Head Soup sessions when the band 

still had Mick Taylor as a member. His guitar piece made it to the overdubbing sessions in April 1981 when the song was selected by Tattoo You producer Chris Kimsey as one the band could 

re-work for the album.

In the liner notes to 1993's compilation album Jump Back, Mick Jagger said, "We all liked it at the time but it didn't have any lyrics, so there we were... The lyric I added is very gentle 

and loving, about friendships in the band." Jagger also had stated that the 1981 lyrics were contemplated for a future possible video, making the song the first Rolling Stones single to be 

packaged as a possible video for the emerging MTV channel.

The video, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg (who also directed their 1968 special The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus), became very popular on MTV. Matching the song's lyrics, Jagger is 

seen waiting for Keith Richards in the doorway of an apartment block. The building, at 96-98 St. Mark's Place in Manhattan, is notable for appearing on the cover of Led Zeppelin's 1975 

album Physical Graffiti. The two then walk down the street and enter a bar and grill where the other three band members are already drinking. Jagger sings the song to Richards and the video 

concludes with the band setting up for a gig at the back of the bar, ignored by the other patrons.

Stones-recording veteran Nicky Hopkins performs the track's running piano.[1] The Stones hired jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins to perform the solo on this song, as well as two others on the 

album. On his addition to the track, Jagger said in 1985:
"I had a lot of trepidation about working with Sonny Rollins. This guy's a giant of the saxophone. Charlie said, 'He's never going to want to play on a Rolling Stones record!' I said, 'Yes 

he is going to want to.' And he did and he was wonderful. I said, 'Would you like me to stay out there in the studio?' He said, 'Yeah, you tell me where you want me to play and DANCE the 

part out.' So I did that. And that's very important: communication in hand, dance, whatever. You don't have to do a whole ballet, but sometimes that movement of the shoulder tells the guy 

to kick in on the beat."

Percussion (claves, cabasa, guiro and conga) was added during overdub sessions in April and June 1981 by Mike Carabello.[3] An acoustic guitar and a tambourine heard in the known outtakes 

did not make it to the final version.

Although included on both Jump Back and the earlier Rewind (1971–1984), it was not included on 2002's Forty Licks but is present on 2012's GRRR!. A live performance with saxophonist Joshua 

Redman was recorded during the Bridges to Babylon Tour and released on the 1998 live album No Security and concert film Bridges to Babylon Tour '97–98. A 1981 performance of the song 

featured on Let's Spend the Night Together (film) (1983). 

[en.wikipedia.org]

----------------

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards 

Recording date: November-December 1972, October-December 1980 & April-July 1981

Recording locations: Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica; Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France; Mobile Unit, warehouse,
Paris, France; Atlantic Studios, Electric Ladyland Studios, Hit Factory & Power Station, New York City, USA 

Producers: The Glimmer Twins          

Chief engineers: Andy Johns & Chris Kimsey 

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts 
Bass: Bill Wyman 
Electric guitar: Keith Richards 
Lead vocals: Mick Jagger 
Background vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards 
Piano: Nicky Hopkins 
Saxophone: Sonny Rollins 
Conga drums: Mike Carabello
Guiro: Mike Carabello
Claves: Mike Carabello 
Cabasa: Mike Carabello

Time is on Our Side Link

----------

The video was recorded in front of the same building Led Zeppelin 
                         used for their cover of Physical Graffiti.

96 & 98 St. Mark's Place in Manhattan, East Village, New York.

Keith, Mick and Peter Tosh

Keith Richards stands between Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare.
Lynn Goldsmith 1982

Keith. Mick and Peter Tosh

Mick and Keith getting ready for the stroll down the street.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-08 16:48 by exilestones.

Date: March 29, 2016 23:23

ST MARKS PLACE
Waiting on a Friend

A GREAT NYC LANDMARK FROM ROCK HISTORY (2 DIFFERENT EVENTS)
By Jim Cutler

The Rolling Stones Waiting on a Friend the Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti album cover location Building – St. Marks Place, NYC

NYC Rock History landmark. Two different pieces of rock history happened here at 96 and 98 St. Marks Place.

These two buildings became the location for the "Waiting on a Friend" video album cover for Led Zepplin’s "Physical Graffiti" album.

Here is how they look today (2013).

Here is the album Led Zepp cover from 1975. To make the photo square for the cover the artist removed the 4th floor.  This photos from 2013 shows that the building actually has 5 floors.

Rolling Stones – Waiting on a Friend Video Location

The SECOND event from Rock History that took place here: The Rolling Stones used the steps of 96 St. Marks
for their “Waiting On a Friend” video in 1978. That’s Mick Jagger and Peter Tosh (front left).

Above are the same steps in 2015

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-31 19:40 by exilestones.

Date: March 29, 2016 23:27

David Gahr

Nancy Heyman

Nancy Heyman

Nancy Heyman

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-31 23:52 by exilestones.

Date: March 29, 2016 23:28

Keith and Mick on St. Marks Place in New York’s East Village in 1981 filming the promotional video for Waiting On A Friend.
Photo by Richard Corkery - July 2, 1981

[www.youtube.com]
Official Video: Waiting on a Friend

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-31 19:42 by exilestones.

Date: March 29, 2016 23:33

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 11, 2015 09:05

I remember this very well, I live in the Village near the St. Marks Bar and Grill. The St. Marks Bar and Grill (located at the corner of 1st Ave & 8th Street...AKA... St. Marks

Place) has a capacity of about 90 people. The Stones or their record label had put up shots of their L.P. "Tattoo You" up on the outside wall of the bar, which they took down right after the
shoot (as the L.P. was not out yet) as they did not want anyone leaking it out.

Keith was sitting on the stoop with his good friend (his name slips my mind right now) who made Keith many leather goods like belts and boots etc.

B.T.W. I have heard many people had thought it was Peter Tosh, well it's not.

The people you see inside the bar besides the Stones and their staff were employees of the St. Marks Bar & Grill. Inside the bar you see the Stones miming to play back of "Waiting On A
Friend". But in fact their equipment was hooked up and they did perform live, (probably one of the smallest venues they ever played at) and it was video taped (I have a copy of that). Mick

seemed quite drunk (IMHO). One song they did perform live was Jimmy Reed's "Baby, You Don't Have To Go". This was in July 1981

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-30 07:33 by exilestones.

Date: March 30, 2016 00:14

In the "Waiting on a Friend" video, Mick and Keith meet on the steps of #96, then walk to the
corner of 1st Avenue to the meet the rest of the Stones at the St. Marks Bar (at 132 1st Ave - now Vbar).

[www.popspotsnyc.com]

More here by schillid: [www.iorr.org]

Date: March 30, 2016 07:27

TATTOO YOU VIEDO SHOOTS

810630A 30th June: New York City, S.I.R. Studios. Shooting of promofilms. Director:
Michael Lindsay Hogg.
- Hang Fire (MJ/KR) -playback
- Start Me Up (MJ/KR) -playback
- Worried About You (MJ/KR) -playback

810701A 1st July: New York City, Taft Hotel. Shooting of a promofilm. Director: Michael
Lindsay Hogg.
- Neighbours (MJ/KR) -playback

810702A 2nd July: New York City, St. Marks Bar & streets of East Village.
Shooting of a promofilm. Director: Michael Lindsay Hogg.
- Waiting On A Friend (MJ/KR) -edit

[www.nzentgraf.de]

-------

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-30 07:35 by exilestones.

Date: March 30, 2016 21:07

very loosely related...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ BOOGIW WITH STU ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[stonesworldcollection.blogspot.com]          

Led Zeppelin’s “Boogie With Stu” from their Physical Graffiti album is credited to John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Ian Stewart and Mrs Valens. Mrs Valens is the
mother of the late Ritchie Valens, whose 1959 track “Ooh My Head” 'inspired' Boogie With Stu. The “Stu” in the title refers to Ian Stewart, one of the original members of the Rolling
Stones, who played the piano on “Boogie WIth Stu.”

EP Boogie With Stu
Custard Pie / Boogie With Stu / Trampled Under Foot / Down by the Seaside - Atlantic TKR 278

The same album cover included famous people such as Led Zeppelin band members, Lee Harvey Oswald,
astronaut Neil Armstrong, actress Elizabeth Taylor, Queen Elizabeth I and comedians Stan
Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

Led Zeppelin was using the Rolling Stones mobile recording unit and Stu stopped in. There was an old piano in the main room. Tape was rolling and everything was pretty much improvised from
Bonzo's drumming to the lyrics Plant was singing. Lead singer Robert Plant played guitar, while guitarist Jimmy Page played mandolin. "Boogie with Stu," it doesn't sound a little like "Ooh My Head"; it sounds almost exactly like it.

Guitarist Jimmy Page explains…
"When we were up at Headley Grange recording Physical Graffiti, Ian Stewart [the Rolling Stones' unofficial keyboard player] came by and we started to jam. The jam turned into Boogie With Stu,
which was obviously a variation on Ooh My Head by the late Ritchie Valens, which itself was actually a variation of Little Richard's Ooh My Soul."

"What we tried to do was give Ritchie's mother credit, because we heard she never received any royalties from any of her son's hits, and Robert did lean on that lyric a bit. So what
happens? They tried to sue us for all of the song! We had to say bugger off." (Interview from our friends at Guitar World)

Jimmy Page casts blame on Robert Plant for drawing too heavily on Ritchie Valens’s lyrics.
The similarities between “Boogie With Stu” and “Ooh My Head” go beyond the words, though, not to mention that it’s clear that the words really don’t matter in Led Zeppelin’s version of this song.

According to Jimmy Page this song would not have emerged had it not been for the particularly informal 'live-in' environment at Headley Grange where it was recorded:
Some of the things that happened there, like "Boogie with Stu" where Stu turns up and plays a piano that's totally unplayable, were incredible. That was too good to miss because Stu wouldn't record,
he wouldn't do solo stuff. All of these things wouldn't end up on albums as far as other people were concerned, but they did with us.

It has been reported that Plant played guitar on the track (Page playing mandolin). The slapping guitar came from an overdub session with an ARP guitar synthesizer. Bonham's drumming was improvised in the studio.

[www.youtube.com]
Boogie With Stu – Led Zeppelin with Ian Stewart

[www.youtube.com]
Ritchie Valens Ooh! My Head
Ritchie Valens preforming Ooh My Head in Chuck Berry’s Movie Go Johnny Go! 1958 (Great clip!)

[www.youtube.com]
Chuck Berry and Ritchie Valens in GO, JOHNNY GO

[www.youtube.com]
Full length classic original film, “Go, Johnny, Go!”

even more unrelated:

[www.youtube.com]
Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future (9/10) Movie CLIP (1985) HD

---

Led Zepplin records with the rolling Stones Mobil Unit
[www.philsbook.com]

Date: March 30, 2016 21:08

Waiting On A Friend (Esperando A Un Amigo)
Rolling Stones Records - Spain

promo Rolling Stones Records ?– RS 21004

Juke Box

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-31 19:44 by exilestones.

Date: March 31, 2016 19:35

LITTLE T & A

"Little T&A" released on B-side of "Waiting on a Friend" 7" single from the Rolling
Stones' 1981 album Tattoo You.

The song is sung by guitarist Keith Richards. Credited to usual Stones scribes
Jagger/Richards, "Little T&A" was largely a Richards composition.

Richards originally began writing the song in the early months of 1979 with the intention
of having the song featured on 1980's Emotional Rescue. Left off that album it re-emerged
for Tattoo You two years later.
wiki

Keith during Emotional Rescue Sessions c1979
photographer unknown

Corrections and more information is always appreciated.

[www.youtube.com]
Little T&A - Early Version

[www.youtube.com]
Little T&A - AUDIO: Tattoo You

[www.youtube.com]
"Little T&A" (Let's Spend The Night Together 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Little T&A Live - Hampton 1981
The Rolling Stones performing Little T&A at the
Hampton Coliseum on Keith Richard's 38th birthday.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-31 19:49 by exilestones.

Date: March 31, 2016 22:50

People often wondered who is the guy sitting on the steps of Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" album cover. It's Keith!

Date: March 31, 2016 23:31

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home