Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 2, 2016 18:24

Mick Jagger and Patti Hansen

Jerry Hall's Birthday Party
Ron Galella photos

Mick & Jerry

Michelle Phillips during Jerri Hall's Birthday Party
at Xenon Disco in New York City.

Date: April 2, 2016 18:29

Peter Tosh

PETER TOSH Wanted Dread Or Alive (Original 1981 UK 9-track Rolling Stones label vinyl LP,
picture sleeve with 'Plain Impressions Of Both Hands' on reverse CUNS39113). 1981

PETER TOSH with GWEN GUTHRIE Nothing But Love (Original 1981 UK 3-track vinyl
12" single which includes Cold Blood and Oh Bumbo Klatt 12RSR107)

---

PETER TOSH Nothing But Love 1981 UK wide centred 7" vinyl single b/e Oh Bumbo Klaat. --- PETER TOSH Nothing But Love (1981 US promotional vinyl 7"- same song on both sides.

Date: April 2, 2016 20:17

Stevie Ray Vaughan 1982

Johnny Winter and wife, Susan

Tommy Shannon, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mick Jagger and Ron Wood, May 15, 1982.

Jo Wood, Ron Wood, Gwynne Rivers and Mick Jagger - May 15, 1982 at the Danceateria club in NYC

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Chris Layton e Tommy Shannon in pausa caffé con Mick Jagger                                                                                                           (David Crosby on TV) Jimmy Vaughn, Mick Jagger and Stevie Ray Vaughn

Backstage at Saturday Night Live, NBC Studios, NYC - Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmie Vaughan, Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon, Reese Wynans and Mick Jagger

Date: April 4, 2016 09:19

originally posted by shortfatfanny

Date: April 4, 2016 09:23

Ian Stewart

New York on 26th February 1981 - Ebert Roberts

Left: The issue from 1981 that first featured the interview with Stu.
Right: Stu and 18-year-old Bill German at the Rolling Stones Records office, 1981.

[www.beggarsbanquetonline.com]

Boogie With Stu
          by Bill German

During my seventeen years publishing Beggars Banquet (1978-1996), I conducted about a dozen
interviews with the various members of the Stones. But before I had the chance to grill
Mick, Keith, Ronnie, or Bill Wyman, I launched my "Stones interviewing career" by sitting
down with Ian Stewart.

Ian, or "Stu" as he was known, was the perennial pianist for the Stones until his death in
December 1985. Commonly referred to as the "Sixth Stone," he was, chronologically speaking,
actually the "Second Stone." It was he and Brian Jones who formed the band. In fact, when
Keith Richards showed up to audition for the band, it was Stu who greeted him at the door.

Because Stu didn't fit the Stones' bad boy image, and because the Stones were not so much a
piano-driven band, he was placed in the background by the group's eventual manager, Andrew
Oldham. But knowledgeable Stones fans, as well as the Stones themselves, continued to
appreciate his presence. Stu played piano on almost every Stones album and tour until his
death and held various administrative positions with the band. He also took on several pet
projects. He helped organize 1983's ARMS tour (to benefit research into multiple sclerosis)
and did session work with groups like Led Zeppelin, the Stray Cats, and George Thorogood.

He especially enjoyed playing boogie woogie music in small British pubs with a bunch of his
local mates.

I was 18 years old in 1981 when Stu came to New York to promote the "Rocket 88" album. It
was an album of boogie woogie standards that featured Charlie Watts on drums, Jack Bruce on
bass, Alexis Korner on guitar, and Stu on piano. When I interviewed him at the Stones'
office in Rockefeller Center, I could tell he was as proud of this humble project as he was
of his association with the world-famous Rolling Stones.

Stu was in it purely for the music. He didn't care about all the extras that came with rock
'n' roll. He maintained a quiet lifestyle and never fell into the drugs & sex & booze scene
like so many others. He was content to go home after a Stones tour and spend his time
playing golf. Which is why his death at 47 came as such a shock.

He was the only person who could whip the Stones into shape, offering them all sorts of
harsh criticism. He'd refer to them as "Showers of Shit" and "Three-Chord Wonders" and
they'd take it from him. At Stu's funeral, Charlie Watts lamented, "Now there won't be

anyone to sneer at us and disapprove anymore." It's fair to say the Stones looked up to him
like an older brother and that he was the glue that held them together. Without him, they
truly felt lost for a while.

Here is an excerpt of my interview with Stu, which originally appeared in a 1981 issue of
Beggars Banquet.

Bill German: You've been called road manager, company secretary, and Sixth Stone. Which
term suits you best?

Ian Stewart: They're all vaguely correct, except that I was the second Stone, not the sixth

Stone. I am actually company secretary, which is an administration thing. Road manager
still applies. You can call me anything you like.

Bill German: Apart from recording sessions and tours, do you see much of the other Stones?

Ian Stewart: No, because they wander about so much. I see Charlie quite a lot, but Mick and
Keith just wander. Well, Keith spends a lot of time in New York, but Mick just wanders.

I'll tell you, my friends -- the people I see and hang around with -- are all guys I've
been friendly with for years, because I still live exactly where I used to before the
Stones came around. Most of them have nothing to do with music whatsoever. That's just the
way it happened, basically. I don't like rock 'n' roll as a way of life. I think it's
awful. Most of the people who are living on rock 'n' roll are living in a dream world.

Bill German: So you enjoy the fact that, unlike the other Stones, you can be a "star" one
day and anonymous the next?

Ian Stewart: I can't really say I'm a star, but it is nice to get up there and play a
little bit and then have some peace and quiet. But just because you're up there doesn't
mean you have to become a star. I play golf with Roger Waters [of Pink Floyd], one of the
most successful and richest bloody rock stars. And I can take him to the golf club and
nobody would recognize him. If he walked in this room right now, you probably wouldn't know
it. Floyd's made an absolute fortune, yet they've kept their faces out of the papers. I
don't think that's really fair to your fans, to have no contact with them whatsoever, but
that's the way Roger likes it. Floyd have kept themselves in a little capsule. Their own
fans don't know what they bloody all look like.

Bill German: I'm sure if Bill Wyman walked down the street many people wouldn't recognize
him.

Ian Stewart: They wouldn't now. But with Floyd they never did. There was a time when Bill
would've gotten torn apart walking into the street. In '66, I used to see Bill Wyman come
back to the hotel with half his bloody clothes off!

Bill German: So there's no regrets about not being up front with Mick, Keith, and Brian?

Ian Stewart: Nope, no.

Bill German: So Andrew Oldham almost did you a favor...

Ian Stewart: Almost, almost. He didn't do it [phasing Stu out of the main line-up] very
nicely. I honestly don't like Andrew Oldham as a person.

Bill German: Does it stem from that incident?

Ian Stewart: No, I just don't like his attitude. He's a brilliant guy, actually. And if it
were not for him, I don't think the Stones would've gotten to where they are now. They
would have made it no matter what. I mean, there would've been a group exactly like the
Rolling Stones and they would've been as good as the Rolling Stones, whether Brian and I
existed on the face of this earth or not. But they would've probably, if not for the
careful handling of the group by Andrew, burned themselves out in two years by playing too
much. Andrew was very careful about the exposure and image of the group. He only slipped up
when he tried to become a record producer. He knows nothing about music whatsoever. I mean,
you can still be a record producer and not know anything about music. But when Andrew
started this producing bit, he was more interested in the image of Phil Spector, running
around in big cars, with bodyguards, collecting money, and buying clothes. That's how he
thought producers should act.

Bill German: Is it true you helped put food in the Stones' mouths [when the band was first
forming]?

Ian Stewart: I was the only one with any money. They were living in that apartment. Well,

Mick had a university grant -- he had a little money -- but Keith and Brian had nothing.

Andrew? No, Andrew had money. But I wouldn't feed Andrew anyway. I wouldn't piss on him if
he were on fire.

Bill German: Why do you think you've stayed with the Stones for so long? And would you do
it all again?

Ian Stewart: I like the music. And yeah, oh sure, I'd do it all again.

New York on 26th February 1981 - Ebert Roberts

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-04 10:59 by exilestones.

Date: April 4, 2016 09:26

1981-1982 Jewlery

Keith's Skull Ring worn on Tour

Jean Paglluso

........................... ...........................

- In 1978 the celebrated London goldsmiths David Courts and Bill Hackett were working on
a small scale silver sculpture of a human skeleton. Using a real skull for reference they carved a perfect miniature replica which they then moulded. When the hollow wax skull was removed
from its mould the inspiration for the ring was born. Further experimentation led to the creation of the original silver skull ring. At the same time an invitation arrived from Keith
Richards to his birthday party in New York – so Bill and David decided that the new ring would make a fantastic present. From the moment he put it on his finger, the magic began and he has
worn it ever since.

It was one-of-a-kind until, if I’m not mistaken, he had a second one made for his friend Johnny Depp. Keith’s ring was made by Courts & Hackett in London.

For reasons we can probably guess at, after thirty years, C&H is finally selling a replica of Keith’s ring.
[www.courtsandhackett.com]

other jewlry from Courts and Hackett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-04 09:38 by exilestones.

Date: April 4, 2016 10:09

Arthur Elgort - 1981

Date: April 4, 2016 11:23

At Jerri's b'day party @ Xenon, both Mick and Ron are wearing the same clothes they wore to the WOAF video shoot.

Date: April 4, 2016 18:57

Palace Revolution 2000
At Jerri's b'day party @ Xenon, both Mick and Ron are wearing the same clothes they wore to the WOAF video shoot.

I'm surprised Bill wasn't there in his blue suit!

Date: April 6, 2016 02:37

PONTIAC

The Rolling Stones performed before a sold-out concert crowd at the Pontiac Silverdome; Monday, November 30, 1981

Mick Jagger at the Silverdome 
       November 30th

DETROIT — A dome full of controversy over public safety including legal suits and radio and television editorials surrounds
the upcoming Rolling Stones concert at the Pontiac Silverdome November 30 and December 1.

At issue is the practice of selling general admission tickets, also know as festival seating. Eleven persons died in the crush to
get good seats in Cincinnati two years ago at a rock concert featuring the Who. Since then, public criticism of festival seating has
led to seating policy reform in Ohio and orther parts of the country. There are no laws prohibiting festival seating in Michigan.

Concerns over safety gained added weight last week when a performance by the Rolling Stones in Worcester, Mass on Monday,
September 14 turned into a disturbance. An estimated 4,000 fans turned out for a supposedly secret concert for 300. Seventy
police offices tried to control and quell the crowd and made 11 arrests that evening in the process.

Following the incident at Worcester, two possible shows at Boston’s 2,800-capacity Orpheum Theater were scrubbed by city officials
for security reasons. Instead, Boston Mayor Kenneth H. White suggested that the band play a free concert at City Hall Plaza Sunday.
This suggestion was turned down, and according to promoter Don Law’s office, no Rolling Stones dates are scheduled for Boston at this time.

The Rolling Stones tour officially begins Saturday, September 26 when the group will play two shows before an estimated sold-out crowd of 90,000
at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia.

In Detroit, almost immediately following the recent announcement by concert promoter Brass Ring that seats for the two
Silverdome concerts would be occupied on a general admission basis, Fred Jacobs, program director of WRIF-FM, went on the air
with a plea for greater audience concerns amid crowd rush safety issues. The ABC-owned radio station’s television affiliate,
WXYZ-TV, Channel 7, also editorialized against the planned seating arrangement.

Meanwhile, two University of Detroit law students has filed suit in Oakland County court to block the concert if tickets are not sold
on a reserve seating basis.

Brass Ring has insisted that the concerts are safe and that the security arrangements are more than adequate,. If both
concert dates are sold-out as expected, the gross income from 150,000 tickets will be estimated at $2.5 million.

The Stones current tour in support of the recently released Tattoo You LP will cover 21 cities. The expected attendance is estimated
over 1.5 million fans who will pay an estimated $20 million to see the Stones perform.

The Stones were originally scheduled to play the Silverdome on November 30 only, but tickets for that concert sold-out in a few days.
The heavy demand led to the addition of a second show for the following night with a limit of six tickets per customer sold by mail
order only. Brass Ring Productions stated that the second performance at the Silverdome precludes a rumored appearance by the
group in an unnamed small local club.

“Every promoter in the country learned by that (Cincinnati tragedy) and everybody’s planning better,” Jeff Ellwood,
spokesman for Brass Ring says in defense of the seating plan for the Stones’ appearance in Pontiac. To avoid any possibility
of a rerun of the fatal crush for seats, the Silverdome gates will be opened several hours before the scheduled showtime,
security has been beefed up, and a phone hotline has been installed to give updates on the event.

WRIF’s PD Jacobs says that the contents of his editorial was “non-juicy,” asking questions of who’s responsible, is there a need for
festival seating, and is it safe.

“Referendum (a call-in listener poll) is running 10 to 1 against festival seating,” Jacobs says. “The promoter took our latest
editorial very personally. It’s too bad because the issue here is public safety. We love the Stones, everyone at WRIF is looking forward
to the concerts, but why no reserve seating?”

Law students Steven Iamarino and James Rocchio filed for an injunction in Oakland County Circuit Court seeking a temporary restraining
order barring the concerts unless the reserved seats are sold. The motion was denied by Judge Hilda Gage on September 11. She sets an October 7 court date to hear testimony on the case.

The plaintiffs Iamarino and Rocchio are suing the Silverdome, the city of Pontiac, Brass Ring and Rainbow Productions, the New York
promoter, on the grounds the concerts’ proposed seating is a threat and danger to both public and personal safety.

“A class action may be approriate,” Iamarino says. The class action could include all those who requested tickets. Iamarino and Rocchio
plan to submit lists of questions concerning public safety and security precautions at the Silverdome to all four defendants named.

L. Brooks Patterson, Oakland County Prosecutor, plans to step in if the Silverdome doesn’t act to “minimize the risks.”

“I consider festival seating risky,” says Patterson, “I’m waiting to see how far the stadium is willing to go to reduce the risk.
By that I mena open up all the gates far in advance of the concert. If they only plan to open two or three gates a couple of hours
before the show starts, we would take action in the form of a lawsuit.”

The Silverdome’s office of promotions and publicity says the entire stadium facility will be opened up. “Security and insurance
coverage are contractual obligations of the promoter,” the office says, “and they are required to furnish extensive coverage.”

The State of Ohio and the city of Cincinnati took legislative action in wake of the 1979 tragedy, according to state legislative
Senator Stanley Aronoff’s office. “It took 15 months for the legislation to act but now we have very detailed, stringent restrictions
on festival seating, based on type of concert, area, and facility,” say Mary Williams of the Senator’s office.

“Of course, if you have a ballet and the crowd is 4,000 by admission that’s not the same concern. Cincinnati also has very strong
local ordinances limiting festival seating,” she went on to add. END.
Billboard; September 26, 1981

-     
    December 1, 1981

@

+            

=     o

p

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-06 06:33 by exilestones.

Date: April 6, 2016 02:41

Detroit Lions Quarterback Gary Danielson wore that number from 1977-1984 - Dan

Gary Danielson #16 of the Detroit Lions scrambles with the ball against the Baltimore Colts during an NFL football game in 1980 at the Pontiac Silverdome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-06 03:02 by exilestones.

Date: April 6, 2016 03:04

Pontiac
[www.youtube.com] VIDEO

Pontiac News Coverage
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-06 06:36 by exilestones.

Date: April 6, 2016 06:18

Date: April 6, 2016 06:53

PONTIAC

November 30 1981, my best friends and I skipped school and headed for The Pontiac Silverdome. The Event: The Rolling Stones in Concert!
My life would never be the same again.

I had seen concerts before, and was well on my way to a life of rock n' roll crime. But, this one was different. General Admission.
In The Dome. 80,000 people. THE STONES!

We were actually semi-responsible that day. After all, we went to school for a morning swim team practice and left only after informing our coach that we wouldn't be attending the afternoon session. "A Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Show" was calling.

The gates opened at 2:00pm, so we hung out in the sprawling parking lot for a few hours making friends with the fellow diehards and
hooligans that had played hooky from their prospective lives that day.

A mad rush of humanity pulled us into the building and we sprinted free to find 8 seats in a row, on Stage Right in the lower level.
Perfect. Secure in my surprisingly comfortable blue plastic seat, I took a nap and woke around 3:30 to find the building buzzing...

Iggy Pop opened the festivities with a debris dodging, frantic 18 minute set. Despite being the "hometown legend," Iggy received
a brutal barrage of boos and beer cups, and pretty much anything that wasn't bolted to the floor flew in his stage-humping direction.
"Thank you VERY much" dripped sarcastically from his mouth, the microphone collided with the stage and he was gone. His band took
one look at the situation and, one by one, followed their leader to safety. Whoa. This one was different.

Santana came on next and blew the roof off of the place. I had seen them live before, but never like this. Never in front of this
many people. The guitars and bongos meshed and bounced perfectly around the arena and the fans went wild. I swear that we could see
someone literally pull the plug and kick the band off of the stage after close to two hours of grooving. Could it be possible?
Had Carlos and his musicians just upstaged the headliners? Damn. This one was different.

No worries. The Rolling Stones dominated the stage from the start of 'Under My Thumb' to the end of 'Satisfaction.'
Smoking and drinking on stage, Keith and Ronnie's guitars were absolutely blazing. Charlie and Bill just looked so cool
holding down the beat. Mick strutted his swagger and even rode a cherry picker out over the crowd. Indoor fireworks
closed out the finale. Who had ever even heard of indoor fireworks? I was completely, utterly, and thoroughly hooked.
This one was different.

Thank you Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and Bill. You changed my life that day and I am eternally grateful for it.

Even after 30 years, I can't wait for the next Stones concert. When they tour again next year, who's going with me?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-06 06:56 by exilestones.

Date: April 6, 2016 08:18

'Exhibitionism' will be held at London's Saatchi Gallery on April 6, 2016

Date: April 6, 2016 11:58

Exile, you are absolutely amazing; all your threads.

Date: April 6, 2016 18:33

Palace Revolution 2000

WOW! Thank you. There's much more to come.

Date: April 6, 2016 19:04

PONTIAC

^

k

-

o

November 30, 1981

Date: April 7, 2016 03:31

PONTIAC

Date: April 7, 2016 03:57

PONTIAC

Date: April 7, 2016 04:11

Date: April 9, 2016 22:28

Keith Richards 1981

Trax, playing with Matt \"Guitar\" Murphy of The Blues Brothers.

www.chuckpulin.com

Date: April 9, 2016 22:31

Ron and Josephine April 14, 1982 NYC

David McCollugh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-09 23:19 by exilestones.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: April 9, 2016 22:31

Palace Revolution 2000

Hey, Exile, I concur with PR2000. You are to be commended for the amazing job you're doing here. Your various contributions are thoroughly entertaining. And I really appreciate the effort you take to curate them all. Always looking forward to you next posts. (I particularly like the photos taken in Chicago. Thanks for posting them.) :-)

Date: April 9, 2016 22:33

Keith and Bodyguard 1981

David McGough

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-09 23:35 by exilestones.

Date: April 9, 2016 22:40

Mick Jagger, Pete Townsend, Jody Linscott - Trax Nightclub 1981 NYC

NYC April 8, 1981 David McGough

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-09 23:35 by exilestones.

Date: April 9, 2016 22:42

3DTeafoe
Palace Revolution 2000

Hey, Exile, I concur with PR2000. You are to be commended for the amazing job you're doing here. Your various contributions are thoroughly entertaining. And I really appreciate the effort you take to curate them all. Always looking forward to you next posts. (I particularly like the photos taken in Chicago. Thanks for posting them.) :-)

WOW! COOL! Thanks. More Chicago soon!

I'd like to make a book of all of this so people could download it. Maybe by next year!

Date: April 9, 2016 22:43

Date: April 9, 2016 22:46

1982 NYC

Date: April 9, 2016 22:51

Mick Jagger, Cornelia Guest - Regines Nightclub 1982 NYC

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1312
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home