Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LIVE ALBUM TALK: Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981)
Date: January 29, 2016 11:09

Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981)

Universal Music/Google Music
Release date: January 31, 2012 (Download)

The 2-CD/DVD or 3LP/DVD, single DVD and Blu-Ray for this concert was released on 3 November 2014 entitled, From The Vault – Hampton Coliseum – Live In 1981.

Track list:
Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend the Night Together
Shattered
Neighbors
Black Limousine
Just My Imagination
Twenty Flight Rock
Going to a Go-Go
Let Me Go
Time Is on My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little T&A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Start Me Up
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Satisfaction

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-29 11:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981)
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 29, 2016 11:13

Simply my absolute favorite Stones concert and live document. It's brilliant from beginning to end. Best ever Richards gig, Wyman is fantastic, and I just love Ernie Watts.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 29, 2016 11:34

Mathijs

Simply my absolute favorite Stones concert and live document. It's brilliant from beginning to end. Best ever Richards gig, Wyman is fantastic, and I just love Ernie Watts.

+1 Agree about Everything. What a groove. The rhytm section,Keith is fantastic and Ernie Watts is incredible. I love Ernie watts.

And I love the way Mick is singing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-29 11:35 by Tops.

Date: January 29, 2016 11:36

Probably the best live album from the Stones as a band.

Playing-wise, it's a treat to hear how much more integrated Bill became in the sound – way more than on prior tours.

He is the glue that makes the weaving happen. Heavy rhythm guitars, like in 69-76 simply wouldn't have worked with this fat, rubber-sounding active and swinging bass playing. That is the foundation for Keith and Ronnie finishing eachothers lead lines, trading licks and developing and perfecting their new kind of interplay, which already had been in store for a couple of years.

The playing on When The Whip Comes Down, Imagination and Black Limousine is just wonderful.

And Ernie Watts takes care of the melodic touch magnificently. Bobby rocks it up on the classics.

My only (very tiny) gripe with this tour is Charlie, actually. He tends to sound a bit robotic, imo. That's probably because they played many fast numbers, which I'm sure was challenging for him – to make them swing anyway.

I have never understood people who complain about the 1981/82 setlists. We got new songs from their two recent successful albums TY and SG, old rarely-played classics (UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS), great covers (TFR, GTAGG, Imagination) as well as some of the best stuff from the so-called golden years.

A brilliant show, which I have treasured since I bought a bootleg of it in 1989.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 29, 2016 18:31

Great album! I'm a self-confessed Taylorite, but I love the Stones from all eras (especially from up until 1983) and this is probably my fourth favourite Ronnie-era album after Tattoo You, Some Girls and Some Girls Live in Texas.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 30, 2016 00:01

Nothing beats Got Live if you want it....

I warned you baby from time to time
You don't listen so pay me no mind
About movin' on
Yeah I'm a moving on

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 30, 2016 01:37

Hampton has been a favorite since I first got cassettes of it early in 1982. It's Perky!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 30, 2016 03:03

ab
Hampton has been a favorite since I first got cassettes of it early in 1982. It's Perky!

ditto for me, i got the 3 lp bootleg and still love it!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 30, 2016 04:03

Definitely a fun Stones show and an ambitious and great set list. I've never understood why people hail this as some holy grail though. Keith was certainly on fire, although a bit rough on the vocals, and Ernie Watts fantastic. Mick was supremely energetic and while it may have added to the show it took away somewhat from the singing. A lot of truncated phrasing and less attention to melody and pitch. Ronnie unfortunately was hit and miss at best, at times just plain off. He often sounds like a real amateur during parts of the show and unfortunately it takes away from the overall effect for me.

I definitely see the appeal of this show for some fans, certainly in terms of the set list and Keith. It certainly did capture what the Stones were all about in 1981. Keith coming out of his haze and kicking ass, Mick becoming the dancing, running around entertainer, Charlie the solid rock, Bill playing his parts perfectly with no mistakes and not much enthusiasm and Ronnie barely hanging on. smoking smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 30, 2016 16:08

Love it, but,
1982 Leeds is better.
1982 Leeds had all you're talking about (Bill Wyman spectacular, etc.)
and Gene Barge/ Bobby Keys equally stellar on sax.
Not to take away from Hampton '81,
but that Leeds '82, some of the happiest, best music EVER.
The CD's are in my car, and you can have that demon life pulling you down,
but Leeds YCAGWYW makes it all better.

Date: January 30, 2016 17:54

I really love Leeds.

But Hampton is rough perfection. And Gene Barge is good but Ernie Watts is excellent.

Great versions of WOAF and Let it Bleed.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 19:40

Love this show. If I was stuck on desert island w/ one show-this would be it. Great Stontes songs both old & new, rockin' covers fine slide & sax playing.

Date: January 30, 2016 20:44

chrism13
Love this show. If I was stuck on desert island w/ one show-this would be it. Great Stontes songs both old & new, rockin' covers fine slide & sax playing.

thumbs up

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 23:51

Always come back to this one.

Absolutely love it.

Date: February 2, 2016 10:31

Best liveversions ever of: Shattered, Neighbours, Imagination, Time is on My Side, Beast of Burden, Let Me Go, Let it Bleed, WOAF, Miss You.

Best post 69 version of Satisfaction.

There have been criticism of the songs being played too fast. I've never felt that way. Never. Start Me Up is the only number that doesnt really work ...

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 2, 2016 10:45

Mathijs

Mathijs

Thats what I exactly wanted to tell about Hampton.
The best!

Date: February 2, 2016 10:45

Tops
Best liveversions ever of: Shattered, Neighbours, Imagination, Time is on My Side, Beast of Burden, Let Me Go, Let it Bleed, WOAF, Miss You.

Best post 69 version of Satisfaction.

There have been criticism of the songs being played too fast. I've never felt that way. Never. Start Me Up is the only number that doesnt really work ...

For faster versions, try Leeds smiling smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 2, 2016 11:09

Bill Wyman is brilliant.

(Far far better then Darryl, Stones is not the same without Bill)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-02 11:10 by 1962.

Date: February 2, 2016 11:12

Bill Wyman is brilliant.

(Far far better then Darryl, Stones is not the same without Bill)

That became increasingly evident on the 1975-1982 tours. Bill's playing by this point was excellent.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 2, 2016 14:55

35love
Love it, but,
1982 Leeds is better.
1982 Leeds had all you're talking about (Bill Wyman spectacular, etc.)
and Gene Barge/ Bobby Keys equally stellar on sax.
Not to take away from Hampton '81,
but that Leeds '82, some of the happiest, best music EVER.
The CD's are in my car, and you can have that demon life pulling you down,
but Leeds YCAGWYW makes it all better.

They are both my favs, but Ernie Watts is sooo much better than Gene Barge & that makes Hampton tops.
I can listen to Twenty Flight Rock/Goin to a GoGo from both shows forever.
Stones at their absolute best.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 2, 2016 16:09

Mathijs

Mathijs

Fantastic assessment...this would be good on a t shirt

Date: February 2, 2016 16:10

Munichhilton
Mathijs

Mathijs

The «I love Ernie Watts»-bit? winking smiley

Date: February 2, 2016 16:23

DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
Mathijs

Mathijs

That can go on the back...Bobby was at this show too!!!

Date: February 2, 2016 16:24

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
Mathijs

Mathijs

That can go on the back...Bobby was at this show too!!!

thumbs up

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: February 2, 2016 18:32

Love it too but Phoenix was a better performance imo.

Date: February 2, 2016 18:44

Phoenix was classic awesome but you cannot put a price on the Hampton JJF...my favorite Stones...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 2, 2016 19:50

Really cool version of Honky Tonk Women from this tour. Love the super long riff vamp intro and then the slow motion car crash guitaring that happens to kick off the verse.

The Leeds version is better in terms of no car melting guitaring going on with the verse coming in. It also seems a tiny bit faster.

Regardless, both are fantastic.

HAMPTON - it's great. It's nice to have the entire show (hell, it's nice to have two of them from the same album tour). Being able to have live versions of Neighbours, Hang Fire (the Leeds version has horns that ruin it!), Black Limo, Waiting On A Friend, Let It Bleed, Little T&A, Tumbling Dice, Miss You and Honky Tonk Women makes it even better.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2016 11:37

One of the good live recordings, a boot favorite over the years, but by far inferior to Leeds 82, also due to Ronnie`s drop outs (particularly on YCAGWYW and JJF). Let It Bleed is the best track. In fact, Hang Fire is better here than in Leeds, the brass section on it in Leeds is annoying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 12:42 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 2, 2016 11:44

Dislike this entirely except for Goin to a gogo and Twenty flight, both nicely funky and understated.. The rest? Too ramshackle to my ears

Rod

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 2, 2016 16:01

DandelionPowderman
Probably the best live album from the Stones as a band.

Playing-wise, it's a treat to hear how much more integrated Bill became in the sound – way more than on prior tours.

He is the glue that makes the weaving happen. Heavy rhythm guitars, like in 69-76 simply wouldn't have worked with this fat, rubber-sounding active and swinging bass playing. That is the foundation for Keith and Ronnie finishing eachothers lead lines, trading licks and developing and perfecting their new kind of interplay, which already had been in store for a couple of years.

The playing on When The Whip Comes Down, Imagination and Black Limousine is just wonderful.

And Ernie Watts takes care of the melodic touch magnificently. Bobby rocks it up on the classics.

My only (very tiny) gripe with this tour is Charlie, actually. He tends to sound a bit robotic, imo. That's probably because they played many fast numbers, which I'm sure was challenging for him – to make them swing anyway.

I have never understood people who complain about the 1981/82 setlists. We got new songs from their two recent successful albums TY and SG, old rarely-played classics (UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS), great covers (TFR, GTAGG, Imagination) as well as some of the best stuff from the so-called golden years.

A brilliant show, which I have treasured since I bought a bootleg of it in 1989.

Agreed totally Dandie, utterly fabulous show. Bill, as many have said in this thread, is superlative and really holds it together. On sax, much as I like Gene Barge in '82, Ernie Watts is quite perfect, his playing on 'Imagination' alone makes this DVD worth it's price.

Hampton and Leeds were eye-openers for me, I'd never loved this tour before, I'd had the Hampton bootleg alright but never took to it as much as the 70s tours. However, on first viewing of Hampton official DVD, my oh my, did it sound amazing! Leeds similar, and I even listen to the shows on CD as much as I enjoy the visuals. The band sound terrific,inspired, and vital on both.

It's a gift that we are getting all of these shows in the Vault Series.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home