Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Periscoping Olè
Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: January 27, 2016 12:57

Is anyone planning to Periscope on the South American tour? If you are, I'd like to start following you now on Periscope and Twitter so I'm ready on show nights to pick up your broadcasts.

I'm Debbie Tiger or @Tigerpurr1.

Re: Periscoping Olè
Date: January 27, 2016 13:04

I really hope someone will!

BTW, thanks for your periscoping on the Zip Code Tour, Debbie. Much appreciated! thumbs up

Date: January 27, 2016 13:07

You're welcome - I enjoyed Periscoping, at least before AT&T dropped my bandwidth for Buffalo. If I win the lotto before mid-March, maybe I'll Periscope Mexico City. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-27 13:13 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 27, 2016 17:48

To anyone Periscoping the shows: it is now possible to connect a GoPro cam via wifi to the phone.

[medium.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 27, 2016 18:11

open-g
To anyone Periscoping the shows: it is now possible to connect a GoPro cam via wifi to the phone.

[medium.com]

I've been hearing about this recently... Do the GoPro's have sound capabilities?

Also, what is the call phone/3G/4G coverage like at the various stadiums they'll be playing at in S.A.? I remember this seemed to be an issue at various shows in the U.S.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 27, 2016 19:20

Please excuse my ignorance but what is periscoping?

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 27, 2016 19:27

Nate
Please excuse my ignorance but what is periscoping?

Nate thumbs up

It is the latest and greatest computer app that allowed almost all of us to watch the Zip Code Tour Dates LIVE on our screens from the comfort of our own homes!

Basically, it's an app that allows the user to broadcast live video direct from their phones out to the world!

Read back through some of the Zip Code Tour date threads to get a feel for the excitement. It was AWESOME!!!

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 27, 2016 19:34

hoping hoping hoping for good news one week from right now

Date: January 27, 2016 19:35

So let me get this right,someone goes to a show and stands there for 2 hours with their arm held up above other people's heads to film the show so others can watch online.That seems crazy,I like to take some photos at shows but I couldn't stand there for 2 hours with my arm held up in the air for all that time.

Nate thumbs up

Date: January 27, 2016 19:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-27 19:44 by everwest1.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 27, 2016 20:21

Stones should take note and simulcast some shows for us.

Date: January 27, 2016 20:25

Nate
So let me get this right,someone goes to a show and stands there for 2 hours with their arm held up above other people's heads to film the show so others can watch online.That seems crazy,I like to take some photos at shows but I couldn't stand there for 2 hours with my arm held up in the air for all that time.

Nate thumbs up

In theory, you're correct. GlimmerGirl24 (and her friends) were AWESOME at it. I'm thinking she is one and the same as DebbieTiger anyway... Another good one I got to watch was someone who was in one of the luxury boxes at the stadium. They were able to just place their phone on the window sill and let it broadcast. Although I can't imagine standing and broadcasting a show, I must admit that it's fantastic to be able to watch from home!

I have been thinking about doing some broadcasting myself... Can anyone tell me how much data broadcasting uses?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 27, 2016 20:48

Nate

Nate thumbs up

No, that's too tiring for the arm. smiling smiley

I held my iPhone a couple of inches from my chest with the screen dimmed as much as possible so I wouldn't disturb others. My seats were usually straight back from the stage in the lower deck where the sound was excellent and the rows a bit more sparse people wise so I was able to move a bit if there were heads in front me that were getting in the way. Between songs I'd check to make sure the signal was good - unless it was an iffy signal night then I might glance at the phone more often.

It was so exciting on show nights to open Periscope and find someone who was Periscoping the show. Especially a Periscoper with a battery extender. We learned the Periscopers with iPhones had better sound and the Samsungs had better video. If the Periscoper was close to the stage - the video was great, the sound not so much, regardless of the phone.

It was fun, sometimes there would be close to 300 of us from around the world watching the Periscope and we're able to type comments that appear on the screen to the Periscoper and the people watching. And most importantly, tap hearts. smiling smiley

Date: January 27, 2016 21:17

smiling smiley

It was spectacular and fun.
I can not thank the scopers enough for the Stones fun they brought us through their efforts on the Zipper tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-27 21:18 by everwest1.

Date: January 27, 2016 21:37

I am going to the 4 shows in Brazil but I'm afraid I won't be doing this periscope thing,with that said would it be cheeky of me to watch the Chile show next week on this periscope thing?

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 27, 2016 21:50

GlimmerGirl24
You're welcome - I enjoyed Periscoping, at least before AT&T dropped my bandwidth for Buffalo. If I win the lotto before mid-March, maybe I'll Periscope Mexico City. smiling smiley

If it weren't for you and some other scopers we wouldn't be able to enjoy almost every concert from the Zip Code Tour. Thank you very much. smiling smiley

For this tour I think it will be difficult for those interested in scoping some concerts, at least with the same quality we've had last year. Especially in Argentina, where it will surely be easier to get a scope far away in the stadium, but not right in front of the stage. Watching this video everybody can understand why.

Date: January 27, 2016 21:52

Nate
I am going to the 4 shows in Brazil but I'm afraid I won't be doing this periscope thing,with that said would it be cheeky of me to watch the Chile show next week on this periscope thing?

Nate thumbs up

The only gripe I would have with you would be: If you find a great Periscope feed and DON'T share it on IORR. As long as that doesn't happen, I imagine you'll be watching what many other IORRians are watching! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we have as much success as we did during the ZipCode tour. I still laugh at my memory of being in my bedroom in TN hearing the opening notes of "You Gotta Move" coming from the Atlanta show and thinking "Holy Sh!t... They're doing IT!" Realizing that I was getting excited "like I was there" for a show that was happening 100's of mile away still amuses me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 27, 2016 22:03

mr_dja
Nate

Nate thumbs up

In theory, you're correct. GlimmerGirl24 (and her friends) were AWESOME at it. I'm thinking she is one and the same as DebbieTiger anyway... Another good one I got to watch was someone who was in one of the luxury boxes at the stadium. They were able to just place their phone on the window sill and let it broadcast. Although I can't imagine standing and broadcasting a show, I must admit that it's fantastic to be able to watch from home!

I have been thinking about doing some broadcasting myself... Can anyone tell me how much data broadcasting uses?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Mr. DJA, I am Debbie Tiger.

If I remember, an entire show tended to use 350-450mb of data. Although I'm not exactly positive on those numbers because most of the stadiums had free wifi and when I was able to connect to it, I used it. But one way to find out is to set your phone in a window and Periscope your view for two hours. smiling smiley

I can tell you that I used 4 gigs of data between June 18th and July 17th - which included Periscoping 5 concerts (3 Stones and 2 Tim Ries) along with lots of texting, Facebook, web surfing, Words with Friends, replaying the Periscope concert back in the hotel room (hotel wifi was often too slow), uploading it to Dropbox, etc.

I had a terrible time with scoping the Buffalo show, AT&T throttled my data speed because I'd exceeded their limit for unlimited data. I think they throttled me when I reached 4 gigs, which dropped my usual download 7 Mbps and upload .5 Mbps by 80-95%, which made it impossible to keep a connection to Periscope.

I've read AT&T throttles anywhere between 3 to 5 gigs, usually when a person is in a densely populated area during peak hours. Which it appears describes a stadium Stones concert.

That evening in Buffalo, the people who hadn't Periscoped another show during their billing cycle had more success at staying connected. But we all had issues - which probably had to do with a data demand that exceeded what the area could provide. I had better connections when the stadiums were in the middle of an urban downtown area or on an university campus.

If you're going to Periscope it helps to have unlimited data - but a 2 gig plan could be adequate if you limit your usage the rest of the month.

For those of you traveling to South America with locked phones, I'd suggest renting a mifi. TEP Wireless has mifi unlimited data plans for South American countries - but if you exceed 300mb in a day, they throttle your speed until the next day. I think they charge $10/day. There are other companies that rent too - just make sure the plan is unlimited.

If you go this route, you will want to find out which model of mifi you're renting and buy one or two batteries for it. The battery they send with it will be older and run out in half the time as a new one. Spending $5 on a new one is a good idea. And of course, you will want a battery extender from Monoprice for $18 to keep your phone and mifi charged. Make sure your battery extender is at least 5000mAh. One that is 5000mAh will charge 2 iPhones and 2 iPads before it needs to be charged.

If your phone is unlocked, you might want to consider purchasing a SIMM card in the country you travel to.

I like a short cable when my iPhone is connected to the battery extender when Periscoping. I could hold both the phone and battery extender back to back and used a Kero key chain lightning cable:

[www.amazon.com]

In late July Katch appeared which grabs and stores your Periscope including the comments made during it for replay. So you will also want to sign up for Katch so it grabs your scope.

[katch.me]

That's my Periscoping Primer for concerts. smiling smiley

Date: January 27, 2016 22:26

I thought that you were one and the same! Thanks for all of the insight regarding Periscope. My band and I have started recording our rehearsals and then uploading the videos that we like to a youtube channel. Mainly for our own amusement. We've also discussed trying to Periscope a gig or two for the fun of it. Since none of us have much experience in Periscope we haven't moved forward with that thought though. With all that new insight you just provided, I'm thinking that my phone may end up on a stand stage right for our show on 2/5! THANKS!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: January 28, 2016 03:18

Sorry to say but I don't think there is the mobile data bandwidth anywhere except maybe Mexico City for video streaming. The US is spoilt/lucky with loads of capacity and the networks add capacity to big venues.

So unless there is wi-fi available, and that will be under pressure, I'm not sure periscope will give much...

Date: January 29, 2016 01:23

It will be damn disappointing and a damned shame if there is no scoping of the Stones shows next week.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 29, 2016 04:34

thecitadel
Sorry to say but I don't think there is the mobile data bandwidth anywhere except maybe Mexico City for video streaming. The US is spoilt/lucky with loads of capacity and the networks add capacity to big venues.

So unless there is wi-fi available, and that will be under pressure, I'm not sure periscope will give much...

You're joking right? Every country and location that the Stones are playing on the Ole tour has 4G cell networks in place which all have high enough upload bandwidths. I think the only unknown is the signal strength at the venues, lets just hope for some close towers and scopers with battery packs.

Periscope broadcasting only requires about a 2Mbit/sec upload speed and there are options in the app to choose the quality of the broadcast in case there are bandwidth problems.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 29, 2016 09:32

Debbie! You did a great job on the last tour!
Longest Periscope-broadcasting of the Zip Code Tour and all other Tours before.
We all enjoyed this lovely result of your patience, passion and strong arms.

Date: January 30, 2016 05:09

caschimann
Debbie! You did a great job on the last tour!
Longest Periscope-broadcasting of the Zip Code Tour and all other Tours before.
We all enjoyed this lovely result of your patience, passion and strong arms.

Thank you, Caschimann. Fortunately Mike was at most of the concerts with me and gave me a break from holding the phone.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 1, 2016 21:01

I will be at the last 5 shows. If it works, I will do some. @LCDREAMTIME

Date: February 1, 2016 21:23

DREAMTIME
I will be at the last 5 shows. If it works, I will do some. @LCDREAMTIME
That would be very kind of you. Thank you in advance.

To anyone out there... If you are able to scope these shows, if the setups are predictable (meaning it works good in the various places) you might consider being predictable too.

Of course if you could set up a tripod (or attach the device to a rail) and use Debbie's patented perfect method (which she kindly wrote about in detail) of attaching a long use battery and broadcasting the whole show, that would be awesome... but if not you might try to be predictable.

I mean you might try (if it is possible) to not broadcast randomly.
You scopers are smart and you know the setlist and you know which songs will change from show to show (it is predictable) and those are the songs we will REALLY want to hear.

So if you can not be like the SPECTACULAR DEBBIE TIGER AND MIKE and broadcast the whole show, then maybe consider being predictable and cranking up periscope at the same 2-3 times per show to broadcast those sweet spots during the concerts, so we will know it is time to tune in to you.

Just an idea, of course anything you scopers can do will be MUCHO appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home