Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Longest Time Span Between Chart Singles?
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: January 23, 2016 17:41

I was thinking (and hoping) that the Stones held the current record for the longest time span between charted singles (excluding re-releases), with Come On hitting the UK chart in June 1963 and One More Shot reaching the UK Airplay chart in January 2013, for a span of 49 years and 7 months.

Then I thought of the Beach Boys and looked up the fact that they released their first charted single in November 1961 and their last to date in April 2012, which is of course exceeds a 50-year span. So perhaps the Stones are in second place, but will have a chance to eclipse that with a new album on the horizon.

Anyway, just curious to know if there may be other contenders in this category. Maybe Paul McCartney if you count his solo work with the Beatles and Wings, but certainly not individually. Or maybe some long-standing country music star, a genre I don't generally follow....

Just food for thought! Can you think of anyone, band or solo, who dethrones the Beach Boys?

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Re: Longest Time Span Between Chart Singles?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 23, 2016 18:06

From Wikipedia

When the Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse duet "Body and Soul" debuted at #87 for the week of October 1, 2011, Bennett became the artist with the longest overall span of singles on the Hot 100 — 53 years, 58 days on account of his single "Young and Warm and Wonderful" which appeared at #59 on the very first edition of the Hot 100, dated August 4, 1958.

The Stones could top this (in the UK, at least) if they can put a single on the charts sometime this summer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-23 18:09 by tatters.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 23, 2016 18:14

Would little 'ol Elvis not be in the running?
Or Sinatra, even?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 23, 2016 19:13

Their chart span for albums/singles is 52 years and 6 months between Come On on July 25, 1963 at #50 to Hot Rocks on the US on January 30, 2016 at #188.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 23, 2016 20:19

georgelicks
Their chart span for albums/singles is 52 years and 6 months between Come On on July 25, 1963 at #50 to Hot Rocks on the US on January 30, 2016 at #188.

Yes, but I think they would have to chart with a new release to qualify for the record.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: January 23, 2016 23:24

jlowe
Would little 'ol Elvis not be in the running?
Or Sinatra, even?

Sinatra comes close, I believe, with his song output spanning from 1946 through 1994 or 48 years, give or take. Elvis during his lifetime only amounts to around 20 some-odd years, though there have been several releases of his posthumously. Not certain how many of those would be re-releases, though.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, quite fascinating! Tony Bennett is awesome!

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: January 24, 2016 01:27

Cliff Richard with almost 60 years in the UK Charts

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 24, 2016 13:02

Given the phenomenal income which the Presley Estate generates each year, he must still be shifting some records. So some Billboard Top 200 entries surely?
It can't all be Gracelands gate money and other merchandising.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2016 00:26

jlowe
Given the phenomenal income which the Presley Estate generates each year, he must still be shifting some records. So some Billboard Top 200 entries surely?

well there were those chartings early in the millenium, with A little less conversation and rubber neckin'...not sure if any recent repackages have charted beyond those singles.

I'm sure the christmas album must occasionally break the top 200.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 25, 2016 01:03

treaclefingers
jlowe

well there were those chartings early in the millenium, with A little less conversation and rubber neckin'...not sure if any recent repackages have charted beyond those singles.

Earlier this month:

"Birthday boy Elvis has to settle for Number 2 today, then, with If I Can Dream, which spends its 10th consecutive week in the Top 3."

Date: January 25, 2016 01:17

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
jlowe

Earlier this month:

"Birthday boy Elvis has to settle for Number 2 today, then, with If I Can Dream, which spends its 10th consecutive week in the Top 3."

interesting Cristiano...and why is this cut in the top 3? why was it rereleased...a commercial, a movie soundtrack?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 25, 2016 01:23

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
jlowe

Earlier this month:

interesting Cristiano...and why is this cut in the top 3? why was it rereleased...a commercial, a movie soundtrack?

If I'm not wrong, it comes from this release with the Royal Philarmonic Orchestra: [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: January 25, 2016 01:28

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
jlowe

Earlier this month:

If I'm not wrong, it comes from this release with the Royal Philarmonic Orchestra: [www.rollingstone.com]

wow...very cool! Munichhilton will like that!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2016 23:36

Ah ha ha ha ha. I thought it was implying between singles in general, like Highwire to Love Is Strong etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home