Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Streets of Love
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:27

Streets of Love may not be their strongest ballad but it's the ballads that always cause the biggest discussions amongst Stones fans. Most want up tempo material, even in early times such things as As Tears Go By...Lady Jane were not always accepted when first released....

What is ONNSOL?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:30

(Oh No Not) Streets of Love

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:42

Again it is down to personal taste.
Many people have heard SOL and really like it others think it is rubbish because it does not sound like a typical Stones ballad or the Stones.
There is no such thing as a typical Stones sounding song as they have covered the whole gamit of musical styles in songs they have written & recorded in their long and distinguished musical career.
SOL is a very commercial song aimed at a particular audience whereas Rough Justice is a raw rough rocking song for another type of song fan.
Then Back of My Hand which is an awesome blues track will be liked by many and disliked by others.
This is the beauty of songs by the Stones in that they have a type of song for everyone to enjoy.
Lets all look forward to 'A' Bigger Bang as this album has many excellent songs and surpises in store for all of us.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:43

You'd think that, having watched and listened to the Stones compete with their own past for almost as long as they've had a past, that people would temper their initial judgements--good or bad.

It's such a challenge to make sense out of new material when the traditions and expectations are so pronounced. J-J Flash makes an excellent point when he cites singles that were initially upsetting and which proved to be excellent variations on classic Stones themes.

Besides, if people are annoyed that "Streets of Love" sounds like an "Alfie" outtake, they should check out "Biggest Mistake" on amazon.com!

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: August 18, 2005 01:56

Something to listen to:

enjoy the silence ... ;-)

Tomorrow comes .....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-18 02:32 by HighwireC.

Date: August 18, 2005 02:05

HighwireC...Thanks man...Rockman

Date: August 18, 2005 02:12

Hi Rockman, its because your damn good pics:

enjoy the silence ... ;-)

Tomorrow comes .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-18 02:32 by HighwireC.

Date: August 18, 2005 02:26

Time waits for no one, both are up till 01:30 CEST ....

Date: August 18, 2005 02:39

See you tomorrow on another threat .... ;-)

Date: August 18, 2005 02:41

I am waiting...ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 18, 2005 03:23

"Laugh I Nearly Died" (which also isnt a rocker) has got more potential as a simgle than Streets of Love, for several reasons, mostly

1) its a far better song
2) it has more crossover appeal to people who might not normally buy a Stones record (I cant see SOL appealing to anyone who doesnt ordinarily buy Stones records)
3) it would also appeal more to Stones fans DESPITE not being an out and out rocker.

The album version of SOL isnt bad (at just under 5 minutes, its the longest song on the album) and tucked away as track 5 (or whatever it is) it sounds ok...being the first song most of us heard as a lead single from the first Stones album in eight years is a different matter entirely, though.

As well as being one of the weaker tracks on the album, there are about half a dozen songs on the album that are better material commercially for singles

Date: August 18, 2005 03:25

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> Besides, if people are annoyed that "Streets of
> Love" sounds like an "Alfie" outtake, they should
> check out "Biggest Mistake" on amazon.com!

Biggest Mistake is one of the best songs on the album. The short clip doesnt do it justice. Its a beautiful track

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: August 18, 2005 04:18

OFFICE POLL: Streets of Love is a hit with 10 music people at work who like Both the Stones rockers and a well written ballad sung by Mick! Why can't this band have a mix of material?? And they also really like Rough Justice. Mick has the excellent voice to do both!

Posted by: johang ()
Date: August 18, 2005 04:28

A Stones fan can not like SOL end of story. I think it may sell 50 copies to the Mick Jagger family...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 18, 2005 08:10

Gazza:

Thank you for a little reassurance re: "Biggest Mistake." I guess I'm nervous about the whole thing. I loved "Bridges" and while the prospect of a leaner, tougher record is appealing, haven't yet been persuaded by the samples.

"Infamy" and "Back of my Hand" sound good, though. As does "Laugh."

"Neocon" makes me wince--and certainly not out of affection for the president or his policies.

In general, sixteen tracks is a stretch. Good material can be diluted...

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: August 18, 2005 09:03

SOL does appeal to those who do not usually dig Stone's music. For example my wife, she likes classics, Beatles, Pink Floyd and pop stuff. Yesterday I played SOL on my computer while working on it. She heard it and said: "Oh, a very nice song! Who's that?"
"Laugh" is a little bit depressing, and mostly people prefer to listen to "silly love songs".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-18 09:04 by KillRill.

Date: August 18, 2005 12:22

<A Stones fan can not like SOL end of story.>

Come on, What did you say when Angie, Fool To Cry, Miss You or Emotional Rescue was released? My guess is that they first were slaughtered by the hard core fans, and then - after a while, they were accepted as the good ballads and disco/pop.songs they are smiling smiley SOL is not worse than Fool To Cry, I think it's better (and I like Fool To Cry!).

PS: Back Of My Hand really grows - it's one of Stones' better blues-songs of all time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 18, 2005 12:35

I know they have released ballads as singles before - with great sucsess, but IMHO streets of love is not a great ballad compared to Angie, out of tears etc.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 18, 2005 13:01

SOl isn't half as bad people make it out to be. It isn't classic Stones, it's not a classic song at all probably. It's a pretty descent track though. Like someone else said before. Any other band would give all their money to write these kind of songs. Mick just wanted another slow style ballad and that's it.
I won't play it an awful lot, but it's not like i'm banning it already.

Date: August 18, 2005 14:20

for those of you who asked others what they thought of SOL and got a positive response - ask them again if they intend buying it. I would bet none of them will. Thats the problem

Date: August 18, 2005 17:11

I'm sure the punk rockers in 1976 said they wouldn't buy Black and Blue when they heard Fool To Cry either, but after all; they did smiling smiley

Date: August 18, 2005 17:45

Was punk rock even around in '76?

Posted by: MnLtMi ()
Date: August 18, 2005 17:52

Any Stones "Fan" knows from Keith's own voice" it either hits your ear drums and you like it or you don't". A Stones fan also knows that each of us likes them for different reasons, and frankly I can like whatever I want.For whatever reason I want. Thanks very much.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 18, 2005 17:53

INFAMY (FROM THE 20 SECONDS I HEARD) SOUNDS LIKE A KICK ASS SONG!GREAT KEITH SONG TO SING LIVE.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 18, 2005 17:59

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was punk rock even around in '76?

You bet it was.
Check out Pistols release dates.
My friend was a punk rocker in Kiruna, Sweden´s Northernmost town, in 1976.
But where I lived it was more like a differentiated boom in 1977-78.
/BB, born December 1963.

Date: August 18, 2005 18:02

right - but my point was that the Stones wouldn't have even trying to cater to a infancy punk audience when they laid down trax for Black and Blue in '75. The were most definitely doing so when they hit the studio for SG in '77, though.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 18, 2005 18:30

There is an interview, I think on the BBC tapes in 74 where Mick talks about punk rock and its influence. I am not a big fan of punk myself but there is a really in-depth documentry in the IFC channel if anyone is interested.

About Street of Love, I don't think its that bad, far better than Fool To Cry in my opinion.

Date: August 18, 2005 19:16

Fool to Cry has soul...something completely missing in the dreadful ONNSOL.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: August 18, 2005 19:20

Streets of love is a fine song even though it sounds a bit generic.I love the way Mick sings it.It surely cannot be compared to something so great like Fool to cry but come on as long as The Stones make good music we should be happy and new songs sound promising

I totally dig Streets of Love and Rough Justice.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 18, 2005 19:25

I just compared it because it was also a slow number released as the bands first single off a new album. But for me Fool To Cry is one of my least favorite Stones songs so its not hard for me to say something else is better.

Keith's cool guitar work saved that song when they did it live in 76 but I also recall him saying he was not fond of the song.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home