Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hampton 81'-Official DVD
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 18:14

I have been thoroughly enjoying listening to the Hampton '81 show (first on cassette then CD) I decided to purchase the official DVD of the show. This after I rented the LA 75 show & loved that as well. I found Keith's guitar mix in the Hampton almost non existant-at least in the intro's to songs. I could not hear is solo on Under my Thumb as Just My Imagination. Intro to beast of Burden was murky especially compared to Ronnies guitar which was loud and clear. Don't get me wrong I love Ronne's guitar but couldn't help but wonder how my bootleg audio versions sounded better than (in part) to the Bob Clearmountain mix? I am alone here?

Re: Hampton 81'-Official DVD
Date: January 12, 2016 18:21

chrism13
I have been thoroughly enjoying listening to the Hampton '81 show (first on cassette then CD) I decided to purchase the official DVD of the show. This after I rented the LA 75 show & loved that as well. I found Keith's guitar mix in the Hampton almost non existant-at least in the intro's to songs. I could not hear is solo on Under my Thumb as Just My Imagination. Intro to beast of Burden was murky especially compared to Ronnies guitar which was loud and clear. Don't get me wrong I love Ronne's guitar but couldn't help but wonder how my bootleg audio versions sounded better than (in part) to the Bob Clearmountain mix? I am alone here?

It's the other way around. The bootleg had Ronnie higher in the mix. The official release is balanced.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 12, 2016 18:24

Are your audio options set right?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 12, 2016 20:22

Is the BluRay mix different? It sounds great to me, although Bill's bass has a little more presence on my boot.

Date: January 12, 2016 20:30

On my soundboard boots I thought the bass a little too high for my liking so I used to turn the treble up a bit. Ronnie sounds fine on the DVD & you can clearly hear his parts. Not so much the same for keith. Like I said, the into to BOB is not clear, I could not even tell/hear Keiths bit on Under my thumb or Imagination. Watch Beast of Burden & tell me the into sounds crisp?

Date: January 12, 2016 20:39

For Beast Of Burden Keith uses a phaser, and turns his volume up and down with the control knob, depending on what he's playing (like he does for the rest of the show). He is loud and clear on both versions, albeit a little lower in the mix on the bootleg.

The official release:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 20:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 12, 2016 21:48

Ronnie was totally drunk during that show. Why did he decide to get wasted a night the show was on pay-per-view? He didn't look cool at all.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: January 12, 2016 22:43

rollmops
Ronnie was totally drunk during that show. Why did he decide to get wasted a night the show was on pay-per-view? He didn't look cool at all.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Was wasted most nights on that tour, not a good time for Woody

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 22:44 by Moonshine.

Date: January 12, 2016 23:00

They were both wasted, and played great.

Date: January 12, 2016 23:26

No thanks to Freddie Sessler!

Date: January 13, 2016 01:18

Keith's birthday, pushing the end of the tour, Freddie's goodies. They could have been even more wasted smiling smiley

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 13, 2016 01:29

All the shots that show Bert having a blast on that tour with his son are simply priceless.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 13, 2016 01:37

Wasted? Is this the first time some of you are hearing 1981?
"Wasted" was practically the tour manager...to great effect

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:56

shadooby
All the shots that show Bert having a blast on that tour with his son are simply priceless.

Its not Bert, it's Fred Sessler. Keith didn't reconnect with his dad till the following summer.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 10:17

Keith is capable of playing great wasted...Woody not so much. This show is evidence of that.

Date: January 13, 2016 10:25

Sam4741
Keith is capable of playing great wasted...Woody not so much. This show is evidence of that.

You haven't seen many Faces-shows, have you? winking smiley

And, make no mistake, Ronnie played great on the Hampton-show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 10:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 13, 2016 10:32

Well I don't Think Ronnie is that bad. Not at all. But drunk. Yes.

Date: January 13, 2016 10:36

It was in the late 90s and 00s Ronnie's playing seriously started to suffer from this. First time I noticed a consistent decline was on the B2B-tour.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 11:06

rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

what would have been stranger is if he hadn't gotten wasted. everyone would have been disoriented.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:16

I think the 'being wasted' on stage in 1981 was for a large part an act. This all started in the late 70's, where could would always start opening whiskey bottles with knives as soon as there was a camera in sight. Sure, they drank and took coke, but they all where true professionals during that tour, there was way too much at stake. Yes they are clowning around, but you can't tell me that both can play so good while being totally drunk. I have tried it on stage, and it doesn't work.

Mathijs

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:19

Mathijs
I think the 'being wasted' on stage in 1981 was for a large part an act. This all started in the late 70's, where could would always start opening whiskey bottles with knives as soon as there was a camera in sight. Sure, they drank and took coke, but they all where true professionals during that tour, there was way too much at stake. Yes they are clowning around, but you can't tell me that both can play so good while being totally drunk. I have tried it on stage, and it doesn't work.

Mathijs

I am guessing you don't know many alcoholics? I have seen people drink an entire bottle of vodka themselves and then go perform at a complicated job for 8 hours without any of their coworkers knowing.

Different people's metabolism processes alcohol (and other substances) differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 12:21 by Turner68.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 13, 2016 13:30

dont you think if Freddie was not around then there would be another friend there instead ?

Date: January 13, 2016 13:34

TheGreek
dont you think if Freddie was not around then there would be another friend there instead ?

Exactly!

But the coke would have been less pure winking smiley

Date: January 13, 2016 22:29

The kind of guy who could make a party happen said Iggy

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 16, 2016 04:20

I agree...they should never have remixed it.

I have had a vinyl bootleg of the entire show (3 Lp's)
since 1982...directly from the sound board...one of the last
vinyl records I continued to listen to.

I was so disappointed when I heard the live CD...they completely
butchered it with the new mix and of course...made Ronnie Wood's guitars disappear on the mix.

Why do they constantly do that?

Live Licks...you might as well not have a left speaker because no guitars come out of it.

PECMAN

Date: January 16, 2016 15:18

You're just used to having Ronnie higher in the mix than Keith on your bootleg.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 16, 2016 23:02

Pecman
I agree...they should never have remixed it.

I have had a vinyl bootleg of the entire show (3 Lp's)
since 1982...directly from the sound board...one of the last
vinyl records I continued to listen to.

I was so disappointed when I heard the live CD...they completely
butchered it with the new mix and of course...made Ronnie Wood's guitars disappear on the mix.

Why do they constantly do that?

Live Licks...you might as well not have a left speaker because no guitars come out of it.

PECMAN

Your 3LP bootleg is taken from the radio/tv simulcast which was an extremely narrow/barely stereo mix.

Date: January 18, 2016 20:05

So I thought there might be something wrong w/ the DVD i purchased. I took to one of my jobs & played on their computer & it sounded great. Must be my TV at home or the DVD plyaer. Very Strange as the LA DVD sounded Great. Never had any other sound issues. I can't seem to find any good audio controls that fix the issue. That is, no bass or treble adjustments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home