Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: LA Friday
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 10, 2016 04:33

CD - Sunday show
DVD - Sat show....

ROCKMAN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-10 05:31 by Rockman.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 05:10

Thanks rockman. Greetings from Errol st North Melbourne.

Date: January 10, 2016 05:12

YEAH.... I often go to the 3 Crowns

ROCKMAN

Date: January 10, 2016 05:19

Try the town hall hotel up the road , come in and have a chat, I am the chief tap jockey.

Date: January 10, 2016 05:20

AHHHHHHH Johnny ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 10, 2016 05:32

Yep that's me

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 11, 2016 00:58

The '75 tour sure is popular here on IORR. I like the LA Friday release, but I still think it's a definite step down from the '72 and '73 tours. Also, I kinda prefer Hampton '81 over LA '75 because Hampton feels more "fresh" and vital, with a lot of good then-current songs, whereas '75 is more of a sloppy version of the ol' Taylor era Stones, with too many tired funk jams and too much Billy Preston.

I would love to see a '76 dvd in top quality though. Knebworth is pretty darned awesome.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 11, 2016 01:20

A very sloppy album. Some charm, and a few interesting historical motives to like it. But man, it is sloppy. Mick J is just missing a lot on this. Lots of timing issues, over growling in parts, and some pure coke addleness. I like it though! But nowhere near as much as Brussels and Ladies and Gents.

Date: January 11, 2016 08:17

I love this DVD and cd. 2 great soundboard shows . A bit sloppy sometimes, I couldn't care , it's the STONES. I like it all I love Keith and rons fantastic guitar tone / sound for this and the 76 tour. Perhaps my favourite guitar sound for the stones of all time ! Certainly the guitars never sounded as dirty again I think. Also I always felt olllie brown wasn't needed , i want to hear Charlie clearly and olllie gets in the way I feel ( and way to many shots of his back in the DVD By the way ). I also like Billy Prestons piano and would have happily had him carry on into 78 tour. ( sorry Mac fans ) And finally Keith never looked so cool after this and the 76 tour. Those leather pants and great haircut! And finally that Zermatis (I think ) skull guitar looked so perfect on Keith. What a pity it was burned in his house fire I believe.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 11, 2016 12:20

Utterly bloody fantastic show! Raw, sleazy, energetic, crazy, loud.

And it has the best Charlie drumming -he was never better than on the 1975 tour. Listen to what he does on IORR -that's pure genius. Try to drum along with it, marvelous.

Mathijs

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 11, 2016 13:18

Both shows on this release are surprisingly good (concerning Ronnie was a newbie) and have indeed the best drum- und guitarsound ever on a Stones live-release! Mick´s singing, on the other hand, is terrible, OK, most of the time, but Keith´ guitar is just awesome sleezy and dirty!

And, yes, DP, Gimme Shelter is FANTASTIC (as much as I love MT, this is even better than Brussels, one reason for this is this echo-sound of the guitar and Ronnies playing, very similar - concerning the "style"- to MT).Too bad, they didn´t do "Luxury" that night(s), the version from Buffallo (?) is stunning!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-11 13:47 by muenke.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 11, 2016 15:53

I find this album quite difficult to listen to. Just as with LOVE YOU LIVE, there are just a handful of tracks that are worthy. It's weird but it's quite possible this era is their least interesting live wise. They're just flat. Or... something. Not completely there.

I suppose there's really no reason to wonder why.

However, listening to the whole show gives/gets a different perspective compared to listening to LOVE YOU LIVE but it's still just... it's an effort. The only tour I would rank below this one in terms of how they sound and perform is STEEL WHEELS.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 12, 2016 17:59

Anitapal82
I love this release but my la Friday DVD includes a different show on the accompanying cd than the DVD. So we have 2 shows of th LA 75 run . Has anyone figured out what dates these are from I remember there being much confusion about it the DVD being Sunday we thought but called Friday. And what date is the accompanying cd from. Thanks

The actual DVD is the actual Friday night in LA (July 11) though the notes say it is the 12th. The difference between the bootlegs of this show is that the audio on the official DVD was taken from the stereo masters the Stones made with the truck. DVDs that came with the cds - the cds contain the download - the July 13th show.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:01

GasLightStreet
I find this album quite difficult to listen to. Just as with LOVE YOU LIVE, there are just a handful of tracks that are worthy. It's weird but it's quite possible this era is their least interesting live wise. They're just flat. Or... something. Not completely there.

However, listening to the whole show gives/gets a different perspective compared to listening to LOVE YOU LIVE but it's still just... it's an effort. The only tour I would rank below this one in terms of how they sound and perform is STEEL WHEELS.

For me, the issue is the "singing". Does that explain the flatness you feel?

Date: January 13, 2016 12:08

Turner68
GasLightStreet

For me, the issue is the "singing". Does that explain the flatness you feel?

Flatness creates indifference. We can't accuse Mick's singing for doing that on this tour smiling smiley

Over the top-decadence might be the word(s), though.

I'm baffled by Skippy's description of this show as «flat», though. Sure you don't mean the show on the DVD, Skip? I thought the July 13 show was excellent.

Wonderful versions of HTW, GS, IORR, WH, Angie, ATPTB, IYCRM/GOOMC and others.

Posted by: HIPSHAKE ()
Date: January 13, 2016 18:33

I have really grown to enjoy these shows, as some have said the energy, look and guitar sound are incredible but Mick's vocals are hit and miss, I feel like he is almost barking at times. It is one of my favorite stages and tour announcements of all time, I believe I read somewhere that Keith Moon ended up buying the stage after the tour is that true?

I own the vinyl/DVD combo but I'm having a hard time finding a download of the shows and don't really want to buy the CD version in addition, if anyone is feeling generous and could send a download link it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all, always enjoy coming on here for the great insight, information, and banter.

Date: January 13, 2016 18:37

LA Friday official download from Stonesarchive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 18:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 13, 2016 18:42

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it looks like the downloads are not available to customers in the United States which is where I'm located. I've been searching around but no luck yet.

Date: January 13, 2016 18:46

Try here, and search for Rolling Stones LA Friday.

Date: January 13, 2016 18:56

Thanks again, appreciate the links. Not sure if I'm just totally missing it but it's not showing up for me there either. I'll keep digging a bit otherwise I could always go for the CD version.

Date: January 13, 2016 19:03

As I'm located in Norway there's no way for me to check the US Google Play library, unfortunately..

It's too bad if it's still available in Europe, and not in the US, though..

Date: January 13, 2016 19:13

from the website:

Stones Archive • L.A. Friday

Please Note: These downloads are not available to customers in the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, France, or Germany.

Date: January 13, 2016 19:37

Turner68
from the website:

Please Note: These downloads are not available to customers in the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, France, or Germany.

What about Google Play?

The Stones made a deal with Google Play at the time of that release in the countries you mentioned, I believe. For mp3 downloads only...

Date: January 13, 2016 19:41

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
from the website:

What about Google Play?

The Stones made a deal with Google Play at the time of that release in the countries you mentioned, I believe. For mp3 downloads only...

that appears to have ended.

Date: January 13, 2016 19:49

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
from the website:

What about Google Play?

that appears to have ended.

Not only did all those countries lose access to a FLAC download of those albums, but they took them away, too?

It's still available for lossless download here. That's strange confused smiley

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 23:21

I had seen the LA Forum 1972 afternoon show, the 1973 Nicaragua Earthquake show, and then Thursday 1975 LA Forum show which floored me.

So I decided I needed to get a front-row seat for Sunday - and did for $60 back then, a seat in front of Ronnie.

I remember that show being a lot better than Thursday (even without considering my seat). Eventually I got the vinyl bootleg of it, so I was ecstatic to get this LA Friday (sic) download.

And I remember goofs - the Happy mix up is recorded, but they also missed the spotlight on Mick during Fingerprint File.

I met BV in San Diego, he and I agree SFM is our favorite Stones track -- and the version on this set is the best in my opinion, due to the 2nd drummer and Billy Preston. Mick slurred it terribly but I like it anyway.

I'm up to about 35 shows now (!)

Date: January 14, 2016 17:46

We're gonna do this song about a girl from New York you know it was um... it was uhhhh, got herself into a very difficult position, position number thirty-two, come in please, ah, thankyouverymuch...

WTF. Hopefully someone out there has kept tabs on all the silly shit Mick has babbled onstage between 1969-1982.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 14, 2016 19:57

Mick´s comments are always charming.

Date: January 14, 2016 20:15

They used to be. Since 1989 he's been not charming or funny. Too rigid, to under control.

Date: January 14, 2016 20:19

I liked the «everything all right in the cheap seats»-comment on the first O2-gig in 2012 grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home