Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
LIVE ALBUM TALK: THE BRUSSELS AFFAIR '73
Date: January 4, 2016 11:23

THE BRUSSELS AFFAIR '73

Universal Music/Google Music
Download release / Separate Deluxe release
Release date: November 17, 2011
Performance date: Brussels, Belgium, October 17, 1973 (MR and BS from the other show that day)

Track list:

Brown Sugar
Gimmie Shelter
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Star Star
Dancing with Mr. D
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Midnight Rambler
Honky Tonk Women
All Down the Line
Rip This Joint
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

[www.youtube.com]

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: THE BRUSSELS AFFAIR '73
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 4, 2016 11:57

One of the Best bootleg records ever released....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 4, 2016 12:06

Only competition (in my opinion) is GYYYYO. Thankfully it finally got an official release. Now we wait for the more affordable version. Still hoping there's some live video footage included, though many claim there isn't any or it's not complete.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 4, 2016 14:53

It´s not bad - in fact it´s very good, way better than GYYO. But Roundhouse would be better if it was complete...

For years and years I´ve read that Brussel is the holy grail. When I finally got a copy of the original bootleg version I was quite pleased but it didnt really match my expectations.

(Shine A Light & Live Licks are also better than Brussel, imo)

Date: January 4, 2016 15:05

Only two songs on the official release (MR and BS) are from the original bootleg.

Date: January 4, 2016 15:13

It's a great album, one of the most inspired and to the point performances to me.
Funny detail, to me it's still a bootleg. I first heard it in 1975, around that time.

Date: January 4, 2016 15:23

DancelittleSister
It's a great album, one of the most inspired and to the point performances to me.
Funny detail, to me it's still a bootleg. I first heard it in 1975, around that time.

What you heard in 1975 was a collection of songs from Brussels and London.

This release is the other show that day, minus BS and MR which are taken from the show you know so well smiling smiley

Just had to point that out, since many still think the classic bootleg and the official release is the same.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 4, 2016 15:23

DandelionPowderman
Only two songs on the official release (MR and BS) are from the original bootleg.
And solo for ADTL.
I listen to the bootleg so many times that official release of the songs from the 2nd show just do not sound right.

And yes, Mick Taylor is overplaying at places (I already hide myself under the chair, you can't catch me) winking smiley

Date: January 4, 2016 15:26

I have a feeling most of us still prefer the bootleg version. After all we grew up with it. To be honest this new version hasn't been in my CD Player that much. Actually I've played the re-issue GYYYO more.

Date: January 4, 2016 15:37

DandelionPowderman
DancelittleSister

This release is the other show that day, minus BS and MR which are taken from the show you know so well smiling smiley

Just had to point that out, since many still think the classic bootleg and the official release is the same.

If I remember it well Angie, Heartbreaker, Dancing with MrD and JJF/ SFM were released on that '75 boot as well, because I still could sing along every note Taylor played when the official was released after all these years.. Don't nail me on one or two years. Actually I'm quite sure. I have to look it up on the attic.smiling smiley

Date: January 4, 2016 15:58

DancelittleSister
DandelionPowderman
DancelittleSister

If I remember it well Angie, Heartbreaker, Dancing with MrD and JJF/ SFM were released on that '75 boot as well, because I still could sing along every note Taylor played when the official was released after all these years.. Don't nail me on one or two years. Actually I'm quite sure. I have to look it up on the attic.smiling smiley

Are you talking about a different audience tape and not the famous Brussels bootleg (Brussels Affair, Bedspring Symphony, Rock Out, Cock Out, Europe 73 etc.)?

A few (not all) of these songs have been available in audience quality, to my knowledge. Angie, Mr. D and Heartbreaker did have similar-sounding solos on most shows, didn't they?

If you have a different bootleg with these songs (I had «Heading For An Overload» back in the day, where a few of these songs were included, if memory serves), I would be very interested to hear All Down The Line without the spliced-in solo from the other show.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 4, 2016 15:59

frankotero
I have a feeling most of us still prefer the bootleg version. After all we grew up with it. To be honest this new version hasn't been in my CD Player that much. Actually I've played the re-issue GYYYO more.

The bootleg version sounds better. The drums sound isn't right on the official version. This said, it remains the best release of the bootleg series 6 concerts.

Date: January 4, 2016 16:06

kowalski
frankotero

The bootleg version sounds better. The drums sound isn't right on the official version. This said, it remains the best release of the bootleg series 6 concerts.

No, it doesn't sound better, but it might give a better listening experience. Those are two different things smiling smiley

If you listen closely to the bootleg, it is actually quite shaky sound-wise (I have most versions of this one, including Europe 73 on vinyl), where guitars drop in and out of channels and audience noise takes over for instruments/overdubbed sax parts enter here and there.

The official versions sounds very good, although it lacks the live feeling of the bootleg a bit. But everything is crisper and clearer, even the drums which have some kind of a plug-in to make them sound more modern.

All imo, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 16:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 4, 2016 16:11

1973 >>>>> 2011...I don't know...Ya Yas, Love You Live and Still Life is what I listens to...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 4, 2016 16:13

DandelionPowderman
kowalski
frankotero

No, it doesn't sound better, but it might give a better listening experience. Those are two different things smiling smiley

If you listen closely to the bootleg, it is actually quite shaky sound-wise (I have most versions of this one, including Europe 73 on vinyl), where guitars drop in and out of channels and audience noise takes over for instruments/overdubbed sax parts enter here and there.

The official versions sounds very good, although it lacks the live feeling of the bootleg a bit. But everything is crisper and clearer, even the drums which have some kind of a plug-in to make them sound more modern.

All imo, of course.

You're right of course smiling smiley. It doesn't sound better but the best bootleg versions I have just sound more live and more exciting. Maybe because it's not the same concert and maybe because it wasn't altered with the Bob Clearmountain modern mix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 4, 2016 16:13

DandelionPowderman

If you have a different bootleg with these songs (I had «Heading For An Overload» back in the day, where a few of these songs were included, if memory serves), I would be very interested to hear All Down The Line without the spliced-in solo from the other show.
You should seek for this one

I believe there is no way to post it on BST forum due to officially released material.

Date: January 4, 2016 16:24

ironbelly
DandelionPowderman

You should seek for this one

I believe there is no way to post it on BST forum due to officially released material.

Ah, but I have this one! Ha ha, thanks anyway.

Better listen to it again, though smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 4, 2016 16:29

frankotero
I have a feeling most of us still prefer the bootleg version...
That applies to me -- I was actually disappointed on the download I purchased (did not buy the cd or vinyl), my bootleg vinyl rip is definitely superior.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: January 4, 2016 17:47

kowalski
frankotero

The drums on the official version doesn't sound 1973 to my ears and that's why I played it once. I prefer the bootlegversion....

Date: January 4, 2016 20:00

Sacke
kowalski
frankotero

The drums on the official version doesn't sound 1973 to my ears and that's why I played it once. I prefer the bootlegversion....

Which is a selection of different songs. Those could have been recorded better, for instance. Hence they thought they needed effects on the drums, perhaps?

Listen to the difference in drum sound on Leeds 71 and Roundhouse. Hard to believe it was the same tour...

Date: January 4, 2016 20:24

DandelionPowderman
DancelittleSister
DandelionPowderman
DancelittleSister

Are you talking about a different audience tape and not the famous Brussels bootleg (Brussels Affair, Bedspring Symphony, Rock Out, Cock Out, Europe 73 etc.)?

A few (not all) of these songs have been available in audience quality, to my knowledge. Angie, Mr. D and Heartbreaker did have similar-sounding solos on most shows, didn't they?

I think Taylor had that sound throughout the entire '73 European tour, but you could be right. I'll check it out.

One thing is for sure, if God invented a lead sound, it would have sounded like Taylor here. smiling smiley

Date: January 4, 2016 20:47

smiling smiley

Date: January 4, 2016 20:59

I believe this was the pinnacle for most of us Taylorites. It's when I took serious notice of him. I became a fan in 1980 so I missed all that in a way.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 4, 2016 23:46

The best live Rock N Roll ever recorded..... The Stones at their live peak!

I much prefer my bootleg copy to the official downloaded version from The Archive. How they managed to balls up the mastepiece that is Brussels Affair is beyond me, but they did!

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 5, 2016 00:26

Outstanding!

Their 2nd best live recording.Hampton being my number one. GYYYO at third place.

My favourite ever version of Brown Sugar. And my favourite live versions of Tumbling Dice, Angie and Happy.

Posted by: max56 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 01:08

I was there I was just 17

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 5, 2016 01:34

DandelionPowderman

And that's what's the problem here, making the official release only second-best to the bootleg - because the bootlegs simply have better performances of almost all songs.

This whole "Brussels" thing is a myth anyway, because even the best bootleg collections include some tracks from London where the Brussels versions were obviously subpar, out of tune or whatever (that's why the orginal KBFH selection(s) used for the orginal boots included Gimme Shelter from London, for example).

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 5, 2016 03:37

alimente
DandelionPowderman

And that's what's the problem here, making the official release only second-best to the bootleg - because the bootlegs simply have better performances of almost all songs.

This whole "Brussels" thing is a myth anyway, because even the best bootleg collections include some tracks from London where the Brussels versions were obviously subpar, out of tune or whatever (that's why the orginal KBFH selection(s) used for the orginal boots included Gimme Shelter from London, for example).

disagree...there's no myth.

From the 1st Brussels show - which the bootleg contains:
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Dancing with Mr D
Midnight Rambler
Rip This joint
Angie
JJF
...are all the best performances of the Tour.

TD, MR & Angie are arguably their best EVER performances of those songs.

pretty good show (Brussels #1) !!!!!

Unfortunately the official release has mostly songs from the second show which, IMO, is inferior to the first (legendary) show.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 03:56

Eleanor Rigby
alimente
DandelionPowderman

disagree...there's no myth.

From the 1st Brussels show - which the bootleg contains:
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Dancing with Mr D
Midnight Rambler
Rip This joint
Angie
JJF
...are all the best performances of the Tour.

TD, MR & Angie are arguably their best EVER performances of those songs.

pretty good show (Brussels #1) !!!!!

Unfortunately the official release has mostly songs from the second show which, IMO, is inferior to the first (legendary) show.

That's right..... They made a balls up of it! Hopefully if they release an official, physical version,(That you don't have to mortgage your house to buy) they will learn from their mistake.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 04:04

Yes the release isn't as good as the evening show. However, it is still pretty darn good! And I recommend it on vinyl! It is amazing!

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home