Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mr. Pitiful
Posted by: Mick Jagger ()
Date: August 16, 2005 09:46

Just listened to Otis Redding´s best of album. I think Mr. Pitiful is the best one on it and if they play it in the same tempo like Otis does it´ll also be a great one on the tour. But where are they gonna play it, for sure not in a stadium. What do you think?

Re: Mr. Pitiful
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2005 10:45

When Stones play Otis Redding they reach him up to his knees. Of course stones are a good band, but only Otis can play and sing like Otis. They can play all this soul songs tanks to the horn section, for example I can't turn your loose on the last tour. But after all that is not stones! If they have to play cover songs, then play Muddy or Chuck etc.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 16, 2005 16:01

Mick's Mr. Pitiful at the Phoenix was
absolutely bang on perfect. The band
and horns had it down pat too. You
won't see Otis do this again, but
the Stones have done him proud.
I'd say play it more!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 16, 2005 17:03

They play it differently. I heard it first time at the Pheonix show. Then I listened to it on the Otis Redding recording. I prefer the Stones version. Much stronger, both on vocals, guitars and overall.

Bjornulf

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 16, 2005 17:53

I am a HUGE Otis fan - and I actually would rather the Stones tackle other material. They cannot do justice to Otis songs, frankly. Mick doesn't have the pipes and as good a band as the Stones are - they cannot touch Booker's bunch in the R&B realm.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 16, 2005 17:55

And I reckon you were at Phoenix, T&A?

Date: August 16, 2005 17:56

No I wasn't. Does it matter?

Date: August 16, 2005 17:59

Have you heard them doin Mr.Pitiful?

Don´t you think "thats How Strong My Love Is" is made in a appropriate way
by the Stones? Which Otis-songs do you find less well done by them?

Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: August 16, 2005 18:03

I think the horn section the Stones are blessed with, combined with Keith and Ronnie's guitars can do an excellent recreation of that amazing Memphis R&B. Can't wait to hear this song live!

Date: August 16, 2005 18:05

It's not that they don't do them well - THSMLI, Can't You Loose, Been Loving You, Pain in My Heart, Satisfaction 71 (Otis style) - it's that they can't touch the master at his game. That's not true with other covers they do - they out-do Berry at his own game, for instance. Their Motown excursions are often excellent and at least on par with the originals.

But, Otis was a special artist with a very special band. I understand why they would want to pay homage to him. But, when I hear a Stones version of an Otis song it only reinforces how great a singer Otis was and what an incredible R&B band Booker T & the MG's were....and they were much better than the Stones in this genre, IMO.

I don't need to hear their version of Mr. Pitiful to know it won't be as good as Otis'.

Capiche?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-16 18:05 by T&A.

Date: August 16, 2005 18:15

No capiche. I´m also a g-r-e-a-t fan of Otis. At least since 1982 or so.
This is my point: One year ago, who could have guessed that our band
would be able to do such a ass-glastin rocker as RJ one year ago?
They are on the Go.
You cant judge a cover before you´ve heard it.
Bjornulf says it´s not done the Otis way.
At least I wait with my review till after I´ve seen & heard it.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 16, 2005 18:25

I think the Stones have always covered r and b as well as soul tunes with great style. It is in their guts and they have always been fans of those artists whose songs they have chosen to cover. CTYL on the previous tour was fantastic for me. Sure it is isn't Otis, but the joy contained in numbers like that transfer very well in the hands of the Stones. I say bring it on with Mr. Pitiful. The Stones have the chops to get it done.

Date: August 16, 2005 18:34

Ok. So this is gonna be the one time that MJ outsings Otis and the Stones suddenly become a better R&B band than Booker's band. Is that it? please.

Date: August 16, 2005 19:32

Don't misconstrue the point I was trying to make. Booker T and the band were fantastic. Their sound was unique. The Stones covered many songs from the artists they admired from Stax, Chess, Atlantic. Does this make them better than the originals they covered, absolutely not, but they did add their own flavor to those great songs. I believe they still can bring to life some of those gems and when we get them via the Stones at a concert I think it's a treat. THey really like playing this material.

Date: August 16, 2005 19:56

i don't think i misconstrued your point, filstan. i completely understand your point. and, in fact, among the positives is that covering a guy like Otis will hopefully bring fans not familiar with his body of work to investigate and discover his talent. that's always been true....I, like many others, discovered the blues largely through the Stones in the first place many moons ago. but, i still maintain that for me, personally, the Stones just don't cut it, Otis-wise.

Posted by: LolA ()
Date: August 16, 2005 21:11

I can't beleive you're already criticising something you haven't even heard...

Date: August 16, 2005 21:13

If the die core fans at the
Phoenix are any indication,
the boys are only something
with this cover. The audience
exploded, went crazy during
this song. I heard no
complaints, quite the
opposite.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: August 16, 2005 21:20

I agree with "The Worst" and even worse I thougth all the Otis covers and others in the licks tour such as Cant turn You loose etc. sucked big time and ruined the club gigs. Stones need to cover rockers that they can handle, the only guy who can cover Otis is Neil Young.

Date: August 16, 2005 21:27

I like that the Stones acknowledge
their influences/ roots. I wish
more rock bands did this.

Posted by: Blondie ()
Date: August 16, 2005 21:44

I´m a big Otis and Stones fan. For me the live performance from Mick during the club shows 2003 on That´s how strong my love is, e.g. at the Olmpia in Paris, was just great and unbelievable. Every time a highlight for me. For me this song is one example when the stones top with a cover the original Otis tune.

Date: August 16, 2005 21:47

LolA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't beleive you're already criticising
> something you haven't even heard...

I can't believe you don't realize I'm not doing that.

Date: August 16, 2005 23:22

Licks is Licks; didnt attend any show.
But much of the cover-stuff I´ve heard doesnt rock the way I want.
Its a totally other thing now; PS in May and Phoenix give strong
indications to that.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 16, 2005 23:30

MICK CAN OUTSWIM OTIS!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 16, 2005 23:42

There`s no comparing between Otis and Mick, Otis had the soul voice, (also did Marvin Gay), and Mick has more a blues voice with a big touch of soul.
to compare these two it`s no use, and for me personaly, i like it when the stones play soul music. The album version of THSMLI, gave me the first sexual movement with a former girl friend, hehe.
And when i listen to the original, than i understood the meaning of soul, and why the stones covered it.

Date: August 16, 2005 23:50

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MICK CAN OUTSWIM OTIS!

horrible!

Date: August 17, 2005 00:02

Covering great soul, blues, and country artists for sure turned most of us on to a huge brilliant world of fantastic music. Bands like The Rolling Stones opened the doors for these musicians to start getting the recognition and/or monies they might have never received. IMWTaA.

Date: August 17, 2005 00:04

I'll never forget when first getting into some of their early albums wondering who the hell some of these guys in the credits were...McDaniel, Morganfield, Burnett? Huh? Wow, did that open some doors for me!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 17, 2005 00:16

T&A wrote;

I'll never forget when first getting into some of their early albums wondering who the hell some of these guys in the credits were...McDaniel, Morganfield, Burnett? Huh? Wow, did that open some doors for me!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yessssss and that`s why they do covers, and i`m still glad they do that without to compare it with the originals.

Date: August 17, 2005 01:54

Stones can be very faithul to others songs/
and styles,butput it thru their own filter if you
will, comes out sounding like them.Rock gets a lot
of it's vitality from this, and is what the
Brit Invasion was all very much about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home