Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Brad Bradley, of The Specials
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2015 19:27

Very sad news. John 'Brad' Bradley, drummer with The Specials died yesterday aged 62. I was fortunate to get to know Brad in the mid 80s as he married my best mate's sister. The guy was an absolute font of knowledge of ska, reggae, soul and jazz music and a great guy to have a beer with.
God bless you Brad. RIP mate.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

John "Brad" Bradbury, drummer with The Specials, has died at the age of 62.

The ska group tweeted the news: "It is with deep regret that we say goodbye to our great friend, the world's greatest drummer, our beloved Brad. RIP."

Bradbury joined The Specials in 1979, and continued with the reversioned band The Special AKA, who had a top 10 hit with Free Nelson Mandela.

Bradbury took part in The Specials reunion tour in 2009. He also headed up a band called JB Allstars.

The band's representatives said the drummer died in England but no cause of death was given.

In a statement, his family said: "It is with deepest regret that we have to announce the very sad news that our much loved husband and father John 'Brad' Bradbury passed away on Monday the 28 of December.

"Brad's drumming was the powerhouse behind The Specials and it was seen as a key part to the Two Tone sound. He was much respected in the world of drumming and his style of reggae and ska was seen as genuinely ground-breaking when The Specials first hit the charts in 1979.

"He was an integral part of The Specials reforming in 2008 and toured with them extensively up to the present day. His contribution to the world of music can not be understated and he will much missed by family, friends and fans alike.

"It is the family's sincerest wish that they are allowed the time to remember him privately."

The news comes three months after the band's trombonist, Rico Rodriguez, died.

The band, famed for their 1960s mod-style outfits, had seven UK top 10 singles including Too Much Too Young and Ghost Town.

Founder and songwriter Jerry Dammers dissolved the band in 1981 but they re-grouped and continue to perform and record without their former leading man.

Billy Bragg was one of the first musicans to pay tribute to Bradbury.: "A bad day for good music. First we lose Lemmy, now news that Brad from the Specials has passed away. RIP."

Bradbury was born and brought up in Coventry where the band was formed in 1977.

Music producer Pete Waterman, also from Coventry, expressed his shock at the news of the Bradbury's death.

Speaking to BBC Coventry and Warwickshire, Waterman said: "I always had a good laugh with Brad. He was always proud of being in the band and what we'd and he'd achieved.

"He never left Coventry because he always wanted to be part of the scene... he was tremendous."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 19:34 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: RIP Brad Bradley, of The Specials
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2015 19:29

Rest In Peace, Brad Bradley.

I'm listening to a Trojan ska/reggae compilation as I type this.. Think I may stick the Specials on for a bit.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 29, 2015 19:32

Hi Mike,

100% on the money: first Lemmy, which wasn't unexpected but no way, not Brad. Can't quite take this one in...he was superb, both as a muso and as a bloke.

As ever, sympathies going out to his family and friends and bandmates. Same of course extended to Phil, Mikkey and the rest of M'head's crew. Unreal, all this...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 29, 2015 23:23

Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2015 01:30

Rip Brad Bradley.
Condolences to his family and friends.

The Specials are one of my all time favorite bands ever since I first heard them in 1979.

Gonna have a LOUD tribute party/celebration tonight with friends at my studio for Brad, Lemmy, and Meadowlark Lemon.

The Specials - Too Much Too Young

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-30 01:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 30, 2015 01:48

RIP John "Brad" Bradbury

I loved the Specials

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2015 03:50

Loved the Specials. RIP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home