Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why mess with 19th Nervous Breakdown?
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 15, 2005 11:34

19th is my favorite Stones song. I can't see any point to messing it up with some stupid new arrangement. Paul McCartney did the same thing to Can't Buy Me Love, playing it like some weird Cajun song, and that didn't work either.

Re: Why mess with 19th Nervous Breakdown?
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 15, 2005 11:35

i agree, i haven't heard it yet but i think it's not a good idea. the original sounds like something they'd still be able to play.

Re: 19th Nervous Breakdown
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 15, 2005 11:51

smile: let go of their ears - they know what they're doing.

"Rock fans tend to be conservative.
Yeah well, but listen to this, cvnt!" :E
- MJ, 2005

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 15, 2005 11:56

its called being a performing artist and allowing your songs to evolve and be re-invented.

Something other artists like Dylan have done for decades, seeing the original version as a template and open to re-interpretation through the years

Most reports from that club show seemed to be positive regarding this new version. I'm glad to hear it. Too often the Stones have been reluctant to do anything with many of their old songs but play them in the same way they have for decades at the same point in the set. I wish they'd take a few more chances like this.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 15, 2005 12:57

Gary,

I've heard a few of the Dylan "evolutions" from boot recordings. If it's a word, I would call those "devolutions". Not having heard the new arrangement of 19th Nervous Breakdown, I can't judge it I guess. The Stones have several songs which have "evolved" on stage [IORR comes to mind]. I see a difference between this and a complete make over.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 15, 2005 14:27

Love the lower geared version of Like A Rolling Stone from the Toronto rehearsals September 15, 1997.

Thirsty to hear different take of Nervous....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 15, 2005 14:30

I see it often where an artists rediscovers their own song; sees it in a different light. After all it is their song. A fast punky number like 19th with such a strong melody could IMO easily be done right slowed down.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 15, 2005 14:46

The kind of reworked Satisfaction too if you ask me... they always play it slightly different... Just check the 94 version and then the licks version..
It's just one of those things you gotta do as an artists, otherwise there might be no fun in playing them anymore.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 15, 2005 15:27

Gazza mentioned the fact that Dylan is constantly changing the arrangements for some of his classic songs. One of the things I loved about the Stones version of Like A Rolling Stone was it harked back to Dylan's 65 version.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 15, 2005 18:55

I remain optimistic about this so-called rearrangement of 19thNB. But, it's so unStoneslike to do something like this that I still have difficulty believing it wasn't just an unintended mess-up at the Phoenix show. We'll see...

Posted by: mskipr ()
Date: August 15, 2005 19:11

this is a good question .... haven't heard the revamped version but I'm pleased they're throwing a little curve at us once in a while .... getting out of the same old same old rut, I'm sure it gives the band a fresh outlook on it too and that can't be bad .....

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: August 15, 2005 19:13

Because they can!

It's their song...they can do with it whatever they want

Posted by: johang ()
Date: August 15, 2005 21:58

I think they should play all the songs a little different, the change in 19th is a good thing even though I am sure we will hear the same old hit list for at least half the show, yawn...

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 15, 2005 22:19

It's a great thing, restyling old songs >> that's the Stones, never play the original version and never twice the same...most of the time because they simply couldn't but nowadays it can be considered as a new song

no complaints from my side

the version of ijwmlty was great 2 innit?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 15, 2005 22:49

It's a great thing. But they should play it faster!

Bloody right they should re-invent their songs. How many effing times do we need to hear BS, JJF, Satisfaction, TD, HTW, SMU done the same way since 1989. YAAAAAAAWWWWHHHHHHHNNNNNN.

It's that same old "After the B-stage Blues" feeling.

Do the boring shit at the beginning of the show, boys. Prove you are not a cabaret act - End with the newer songs.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 15, 2005 22:54

I want to hear BS just like they did it in Muscle Shoals.....nothing compare to that.

Date: August 15, 2005 23:08

Exactly. Nothing compares to that (or to some '72-73 versions)- so why bother doing another zillionth cabaret version and looking like a has-been act?

They've done some other stuff since then, not?

Re-invent, re-create.
Keep it LIVE.

Date: August 15, 2005 23:41

I agree with the above commentary - but, let's keep it real, folks - you KNOW the warhorses will remain intact, unchanged and in a row at the end of the show. Venting and complaining will getcha nowhere on this...

Date: August 16, 2005 00:18

T&A,

I suspect Warhorses will stay there. But how many of us here really look forward to hearing the same old routine after the B-stage?

Not expecting change. This seems like a good place to vent.

Ventilator Blues. You know the lyrics.

If they'd play that one I might forgive, forget and not feel the need to vent!

Date: August 16, 2005 00:46

It's a great place to vent - I do it all the time!

Can't say I look forward to the post b-stage routine - but I accept it as the sacrifice one makes to follow this band. And, after all they are bad songs...just played to death. So, I take it in stride....

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: August 18, 2005 17:12

I like it a lot when they change their songs a bit. They've done it lots of times. Listen to Midnight Rambler over the years. IORR is constantly changed in the middle section of the song. The tempos are different from tour to tour. Listen to Tumblin dice as an example. listen to the whole 81/82 tempos compared to nowadays. The band evolves and developes their songs. They are alive and kicking!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 18, 2005 18:50

Absolutely. I loved the reworked version of "I'm Free" from 1969 and "Satisfaction" from 1971. There is nothing new in the Stones reworking their songs.

Date: August 18, 2005 19:08

Nothing "new" Chris? Those examples you cited are over 30 years old!!! They rarely do this nowadays - if anything they seemed determine to recreate original album versions to the best of the ability - that's been the norm since '89. I can't think of a single example since then when they've "re-arranged" a number that goes against the album version....

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 18, 2005 19:22

Point taken T&A. What I meant to say is that there is a precident for the Stones reworking their songs, though as you rightly point out they have not done this to the degree they did with "I'm Free" for some time.

Date: August 18, 2005 19:26

that's why I'm pretty shocked frankly about the 19NB deal - wouldn't it be marvelous if they started doing this with "sacred ground" like the warhorses or something? Would give the masses something to grumble about - that's what happens at Dylan shows and I LOVE IT. "didn't even know it was Lay Lady Lay until like the last couple of mintues...."

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 18, 2005 21:26

I guess either way you will have people complain. Personally I like the way they re-did songs like No Expectations on the last tour with Mick on the acoustic. Even though they only did them both once I though Moon Is Up and MAWGJ were both better live the way they changed them up. The way they do Hot Stuff these days however I don't like, too much brass.

Date: August 18, 2005 21:42

ah - see Hot Stuff was "made for brass" - I love the arrangement with horns they came up with on that in '94 - I'd love to see it in the setlist this time.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 18, 2005 21:45

Is it just me or do you find a certain blandness to the tone of records from Alligator? Good playing, mind you, but a bland overall sound...

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 18, 2005 21:46

I prefer how they did the song in 76, it almost sounds to me like Keith and Ron can't play it the way they did before so they use the brass. Heart of Stone is another song they changed up and used the horns for but I think that suits the song fine.

Date: August 18, 2005 22:18

inopeng Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it just me or do you find a certain blandness
> to the tone of records from Alligator? Good
> playing, mind you, but a bland overall sound...

you got your threads mixed up here, OpenG! I know what you mean Iglauer is a little safe with production. I haven't picked up an real recent Alligator releases, but they still haven't topped their very first one from the great HDT....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home