Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 102
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen - 2016 - The River Tour
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 10, 2016 19:46

Boston '16 and Cleveland '78 both shipped this week and on their way to my house! I can download now, but I eagerly await the cds. It is SUCH a great thing for an artist to do, making the recent shows available, along with some key archival shows. Our Stones have done well with the recent From The Vault releases, although we all know there is a ton more where those came from and a few precious gems we would all love to see get the mix/master treatment!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 12, 2016 02:07

Springsteen and the E Street Band sound so very good on this tour. And three hour plus shows...wow! Seeing him perform and listening to various shows posted on YouTube and elsewhere, it may be blasphemous to say this on this site, but IMHO, there isn't any one performer or band touring right now better than him and the E Street Band. Springsteen's doing the entire River album makes me wish for, long for, the Stones doing the same thing with one of their classic albums - play it in full - followed by a bunch of their more popular songs and a twist or two in the hits mix. We'd spend our children's inheritance on tickets for a show like this by the Stones.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 12, 2016 02:25

dmay
Springsteen and the E Street Band sound so very good on this tour. And three hour plus shows...wow! Seeing him perform and listening to various shows posted on YouTube and elsewhere, it may be blasphemous to say this on this site, but IMHO, there isn't any one performer or band touring right now better than him and the E Street Band. Springsteen's doing the entire River album makes me wish for, long for, the Stones doing the same thing with one of their classic albums - play it in full - followed by a bunch of their more popular songs and a twist or two in the hits mix. We'd spend our children's inheritance on tickets for a show like this by the Stones.

It is not my intention to create controversy on this site, but when I watched Bruce and company put in 3 plus hours at the Rochester show I attended a couple weeks ago, I felt the same sentiments as you walking out the arena. Bruce and the E Street Band are not that far behind in age as the Stones- and the energy, passion and musicianship was A+ the entire night. That it extremely hard for me to say because I love the Stones. They will always be my number one band-but Bruce & E Street Band kick their ass on the concert stage.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 12, 2016 07:49

But Bruce has always been a different show than the Stones. The Stones give you the show you want, Bruce gives you the show he feels you deserve. As Jon Stewart says, he empties the tank for you and he makes every show unique and feel like he's 100% with you. The Stones, while amazing, are the epitome of not that. They give you a kickass show, but its what you expect from the Stones. They play your greatest hits, they play it professionally, at least now, and they give you a solid however long an average concert is at that time. Bruce was playing 3 and a half hour shows when the Stones were playing hour and a half ones. Its not all about time, but it just highlights their differences right from the get go.

Nowadays, they are both shows I want to see. The Stones are more "classic" than Bruce. The Stones are a show you HAVE to see at least Bruce. Bruce should be too, but its not gonna be as fun. Or at least, its not gonna be as easy. You probably won't know most of the set, he'll change things on the drop of a dime, its what he does best. Its why I give him props for his current touring, but its not surprising. This is how he's always been. What's great is that he's kept it up. But its why I've gone back 10 or so times. Whereas I've only seen the Stones twice. They charge more and its a more by the books kind of show. You're gonna get at least half of the set you've already seen. I've seen back to back Bruce shows that had maybe 5 songs the same between them and 2 and a half hours of different material.

Bruce and his band have always been one of the great live acts of all time. The Stones are absolutely the same, but in a totally different way. Bruce can't really do the Brussels Affair type show the Stones excel at whereas the Stones couldn't do a 3 hour marathon show, taking requests, playing stuff they haven't played in 30 years, and pulling it off.a

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: March 16, 2016 01:45

Oakland 3/13/16

1-Meet Me In The City
2-The Ties That Bind
3-Sherry Darling
4-Jackson Cage
5-Two Hearts
6-Independence Day
7-Hungry Heart
8-Out In The Street
9-Crush On You
10-You Can Look....
11-I Wanna Marry You
12-The River
13-Point Blank
14-Cadillac Ranch
15-I'm A Rocker
16-Fade Away
17-Stolen Car
18-Ramrod
19-The Price You Pay
20-Drive All Night
21-Wreck On The Highway

22-Badlands
23-Prove It All Night
24-Lonesome Day
25-Candy's Room
26-Because The Night
27-She's The One
28-The Rising
29-Thunder Road

30-Growin' Up
31-Born To Run
32-Dancing In The Dark
33-Rosalita
34-Tenth Ave. Freeze Out
35-Shout

Date: March 16, 2016 04:15

I always wonder what the first 21 songs will be each night on this tour... winking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 04:47

RollingFreak
But Bruce has always been a different show than the Stones. The Stones give you the show you want, Bruce gives you the show he feels you deserve. As Jon Stewart says, he empties the tank for you and he makes every show unique and feel like he's 100% with you. The Stones, while amazing, are the epitome of not that. They give you a kickass show, but its what you expect from the Stones. They play your greatest hits, they play it professionally, at least now, and they give you a solid however long an average concert is at that time. Bruce was playing 3 and a half hour shows when the Stones were playing hour and a half ones. Its not all about time, but it just highlights their differences right from the get go.

Nowadays, they are both shows I want to see. The Stones are more "classic" than Bruce. The Stones are a show you HAVE to see at least Bruce. Bruce should be too, but its not gonna be as fun. Or at least, its not gonna be as easy. You probably won't know most of the set, he'll change things on the drop of a dime, its what he does best. Its why I give him props for his current touring, but its not surprising. This is how he's always been. What's great is that he's kept it up. But its why I've gone back 10 or so times. Whereas I've only seen the Stones twice. They charge more and its a more by the books kind of show. You're gonna get at least half of the set you've already seen. I've seen back to back Bruce shows that had maybe 5 songs the same between them and 2 and a half hours of different material.

Bruce and his band have always been one of the great live acts of all time. The Stones are absolutely the same, but in a totally different way. Bruce can't really do the Brussels Affair type show the Stones excel at whereas the Stones couldn't do a 3 hour marathon show, taking requests, playing stuff they haven't played in 30 years, and pulling it off.a
So well said.

I see Bruce stopped doing that insane back bend on the mic stand during Tenth Ave Freeze Out...probably a good idea at 66, although he did it a couple years ago.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 08:02

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I always wonder what the first 21 songs will be each night on this tour... winking smiley

As compared to the TOTAL 18-19 songs of a Stones show, all of which are pretty much known as well? I hope you have better luck with the final show...sorry, the final 14-15 songs at a Bruce show.

They are BOTH great bands live, but Bruce kills it.

Rod

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 16, 2016 13:57

I have all the soundboards from this tour thru Sunrise which was just released yesterday, I can send them to you on Dropbox, email me.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 16, 2016 14:05

You can now already pre-order de European shows: [live.brucespringsteen.net]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2016 17:29

I just learned on the news that after the L.A. Springsteen shows, the Sports Arena will be demolished.
Sad news as I saw many legendary concerts there such as Pink Floyd The Wall in 1980.
Might have to get a ticket to one of the shows in order to bid my farewell to the arena...

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: March 16, 2016 20:11

RollingFreak

This tour his back to back shows aren't as different as they used to be, and not just because of his including of an entire album. His sets in phoenix and Oakland were nearly identical:

Oakland:
Meet Me in the City
THE RIVER ALBUM
Badlands
Prove It All Night
Lonesome Day
Candy's Room
Because the Night
She's the One
The Rising
Thunder Road
Growin' Up
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Shout

Phoenix:
Meet Me in the City
THE RIVER ALBUM
Badlands
No Surrender
Lonesome Day
Candy's Room
Because the Night
She's the One
The Rising
Thunder Road
Glory Days
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Shout

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: March 20, 2016 20:11

Due to one of our local posting police here...:

So I finally gave it a shot...I went to my first Springsteen concert last Thursday, the 2nd of 3 gigs at the L.A. Sports Arena. I won their ticket lottery and ended up right up front, center stage with only 1 person between me & the stage. I got to pluck Bruce's strings, shake hands, etc.

So...after all these years...Bruce was just fine. It was very long, many songs (that I did not know) and tons of energy. However, it did seem to be more of a rehearsed show. If Vegas wanted to do an over the top Springsteen show...it would look just like a regular Springsteen show. Plenty of Bruce in the spotlight with his fist raised howling into the dark...looking upward while posing & singing...the fans loved it. Maybe I am juxtaposing with the Stones, but it all just seemed too...obvious. It's sort of like how you sing in front of the mirror as a 14yo...very over the top.

I enjoyed it. I listened to The River a lot before I went so I'd know the songs. The people around me LOVED IT! I told them all if I loved the show, I'd be back on Saturday for the next one. I stayed home. It was a fun show, I am glad I was right up front. I guess I never "got" Bruce, and I guess I still do not. I like some songs he does...but it really seems a bit too...I don't know...calculated?

Anyway...surely there is someone like me here who had a bit of curiosity but not passion about it...so this is for them. Oh, WAY too much organ!

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: March 20, 2016 21:00

To go a bit more off topic on this off topic thread, what is the "entrance music" Springsteen is using on his tour? If you watch any video of a show start ("Meet Me in the City"), you'll hear it as the band takes the stage. For example:

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not even sure it's a Springsteen song; it has a vague rockabilly feel.

Can't google the answer, and I don't recognize the song.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 21, 2016 02:40

Hairball
I just learned on the news that after the L.A. Springsteen shows, the Sports Arena will be demolished.
Sad news as I saw many legendary concerts there such as Pink Floyd The Wall in 1980.
Might have to get a ticket to one of the shows in order to bid my farewell to the arena...

It wasn't a bad arena. Of course the neighborhood was a little sketchy. I saw the Wall there, along with Elvis Costello & the Police on their first big hall show. That one was like Beatlemania. Zenyatta Mondatta tour. Looking forward to Bruce on Thursday in Seattle. Being as it is a work night, I'm thinking I'm probably leaving after "10th Ave. Freeze Out". I've heard tapes of "Shout". It's ok but no "Devil with a Blue Dress". He's ended every show with "Shout" except 2 he did "Bobby Jean" after. Not a fave. I'm hoping we get a tour debut of "Darkness on the Edge of Town" here or maybe a nice "Racing in the Streets". I saw the Darkness tour in a theater when I was in high school & was hardcore until Born in the USA. I've listened to 3 shows from this tour & the River is sounding really good. I love the rockers from that record & the quieter stuff is sounding pretty good, too. Most likely, this is it for me seeing Bruce. I look at it that way with a lot of acts. I saw Bowie 3 times during his last bout of touring & am glad I did. You never know when mortality is going to come calling both for the acts & me. Also, in some cases I don't want to witness a severe decline. Rather go off the memories of the great shows I've seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-21 03:46 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 21, 2016 05:05

dgiorr
To go a bit more off topic on this off topic thread, what is the "entrance music" Springsteen is using on his tour? If you watch any video of a show start ("Meet Me in the City"), you'll hear it as the band takes the stage. For example:

[www.youtube.com]

I can't view/listen to the clip right now but earlier in the tour the entrance music was The Pretty Things recording of "Big Boss Man". Probably hasn't changed.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 21, 2016 09:22

Roscoe
dgiorr

[www.youtube.com]

I can't view/listen to the clip right now but earlier in the tour the entrance music was The Pretty Things recording of "Big Boss Man". Probably hasn't changed.

Yes, that's what it is in the clip, though it takes a while to make it out.

Date: March 21, 2016 14:11

Aquamarine
Roscoe

Yes, that's what it is in the clip, though it takes a while to make it out.

Thanks, Roscoe and Aquamarine, for answering this important question! It was driving me nuts since I saw him!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 21, 2016 18:36

I wonder if he does stadiums in the US, and more importantly whether he continues this full album performance. Seems Bruce forums are split both ways. Continue to play the album so it doesn't look like he's "giving up" on that theme and becoming an oldies act or dropping the album finally because the whole tour for some has been seen as an "oldies" act. Dropping the album for stadiums wouldn't be anything more embarrassing, and most likely a positive. It'll be interesting to see what gets decided.

Date: March 21, 2016 19:43

RollingFreak
I wonder if he does stadiums in the US, and more importantly whether he continues this full album performance. Seems Bruce forums are split both ways. Continue to play the album so it doesn't look like he's "giving up" on that theme and becoming an oldies act or dropping the album finally because the whole tour for some has been seen as an "oldies" act. Dropping the album for stadiums wouldn't be anything more embarrassing, and most likely a positive. It'll be interesting to see what gets decided.

Since the tour - US into April, some weeks off, then Europe into July - is called "The River" tour, I think it's 100% certain he'll play the entire album at each stop.

Reflecting on seeing him last month, I realize that "doing the whole album" has an appeal that extends beyond the credit The Who get for performing "Tommy" or "Quadrophenia."

"The River," like most of the Stones' first 20 years of output, has on it so many great songs that just never, or rarely, make it into live performance. Or certainly not more than one of those non-warhorses per show.

To hear "Sherry Darling" and "Ramrod" and "Wreck on the Highway" - all just awesome good - would be like hearing "Sweet Virginia" and "Torn and Frayed" and "Ventilator Blues" in one concert. Maybe now and then they've treated their fans to one of these in a show, but never all of them in one night.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 21, 2016 19:45

I'm p!$$ed off!

I went to the Tuesday and Thursday shows, seen Bruce at least 15 times, haven't seen him do Jungleland since the early 80's...
...he did it on Saturday because he knew I couldn't go to that show....angry smiley

Date: March 21, 2016 20:13

BluzDude
I'm p!$$ed off!

I went to the Tuesday and Thursday shows, seen Bruce at least 15 times, haven't seen him do Jungleland since the early 80's...
...he did it on Saturday because he knew I couldn't go to that show....angry smiley
I feel your pain...I saw them several times with Clarence and each time I missed Jungleland by a show or two.

The first and only time I saw them play it was in Boston 2012 after Clarence had died. It was the first time they'd played it on U.S. soil since he died, so at least I can say I witnessed something special.

And then in 2014 and last month, I missed it by a few shows AGAIN.

That's the one downside to an artist who changes setlists constantly. You would never say "damn, I missed Jumpin' Jack Flash" at a Stones show.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 21, 2016 21:11

keefriff99
BluzDude
I'm p!$$ed off!

I feel your pain...I saw them several times with Clarence and each time I missed Jungleland by a show or two.

The first and only time I saw them play it was in Boston 2012 after Clarence had died. It was the first time they'd played it on U.S. soil since he died, so at least I can say I witnessed something special.

And then in 2014 and last month, I missed it by a few shows AGAIN.

That's the one downside to an artist who changes setlists constantly. You would never say "damn, I missed Jumpin' Jack Flash" at a Stones show.

Probably my favorite Springsteen tune

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2016 00:45

Herald Sun -- 22 March 2016

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2016 01:57

Rockman

Herald Sun -- 22 March 2016
How can you NOT love this man?? You might not dig all his music, but as a person, he's the real deal.

Date: March 22, 2016 02:25

bitusa2012
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

As compared to the TOTAL 18-19 songs of a Stones show, all of which are pretty much known as well? I hope you have better luck with the final show...sorry, the final 14-15 songs at a Bruce show.

They are BOTH great bands live, but Bruce kills it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Springsteen concerts! He's a far better performer than the Stones IMO... I'm actually seeing him next month and can hardly wait!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:30

Naturally I am a bigger Stones fan (though don't listen much anymore) and don't own much Springsteen but as an avid concert goer, I would put these shows light years ahead of any Stones shows since 2002. Not just the music but the love he has for his fans and how he feeds off their energy how he pushes himself to the max every time. I also like this better than the campy schticky big band shows of the last year. The only thing is The River in it's entirety isn't really made for the casual fan to see multiple nights but they were really great shows. I went to all 3. 3 hours and 45 minutes at any age? Wow.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:50

Currently listening to the show from Buffalo, and let me tell you it is another "on " show; it's a very powerful performance again, which gets even more rocking once they finished The River and start with the "rest" of the show.
I'm very impressed with the energy level on all the shows from 2016 I have heard, only minor letdown is the one from Cleveland.
My favourites so far: Pittsburgh, Chicago and Boston!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 30, 2016 10:32

Rank Stranger
Currently listening to the show from Buffalo, and let me tell you it is another "on " show; it's a very powerful performance again, which gets even more rocking once they finished The River and start with the "rest" of the show.
I'm very impressed with the energy level on all the shows from 2016 I have heard, only minor letdown is the one from Cleveland.
My favourites so far: Pittsburgh, Chicago and Boston!

The Seattle show was fantastic. Almost 4 hours, "Adam Raised a Cain" & a duet with Eddie Vedder!smoking smiley

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 30, 2016 14:31

Nice to hear you saw them in Seattle and really loved it.

I can only comment on the shows, that are available for download;
but I read a rave review from the Seattle concert.

"Bobby Jean" is one of my favourite Springsteen songs, sort of a hidden gem on the "BITUSA" LP, and I'm not ( yet ) in the mood to forgive Eddie Vedder that he messed up the lyrics!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 102

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1620
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home