Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Roger Waters The Wall
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2015 09:46

I bought the blu-ray yesterday of "The Wall" concert. It is stunning. Not just a concert film but a document of Roger's journey to visit the graves of his father & grandfather who died in WW1 & WW2. Extremely powerful & emotional. The concert itself is well filmed & the sound is fantastic. I saw Pink Floyd do "The Wall" in 1980 & Roger do it a few years ago. Hate to say it but Roger's version surpassed the original. It was one of the best big concerts I've ever seen. The piece has aged real well & continues to grow. This blu-ray is well worth buying if you're interested. There is a bonus disc that includes "Comfortably Numb" with David Gilmour in London. Really impressive. I met Roger on the Radio Chaos tour & while he was nice to me back then he seems to be more comfortable in his own skin now. Some will disagree but I think "The Wall" is a work of genius. I don't throw that term around lightly. It resonates even stronger in this age. Wow! Ha ha, charade you are!smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 09:52 by crholmstrom.

Re: OT: Roger Waters The Wall
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 2, 2015 10:16

I've seen Roger performing The Wall in Arnhem, The Netherlands. Impressive indeed.
The only thing bothering me (but I don't have an answer to my own question), was about
how much we heard was prerecorded and how much was sung live. Not that it really mattered
much, 'cause the show was overwhelming as it was.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 2, 2015 10:30

marcovandereijk
I've seen Roger performing The Wall in Arnhem, The Netherlands. Impressive indeed.
The only thing bothering me (but I don't have an answer to my own question), was about
how much we heard was prerecorded and how much was sung live. Not that it really mattered
much, 'cause the show was overwhelming as it was.

Yeap, I have seen The Wall 3 times live and even though I enjoyed it a lot (I would not go 3 times otherwise, right?), the constant wondering "is he singing live right now, or is he lip syncing?" is something which is absolutely unforgivable at a rock concert. I know, I know, it is more than a rock concert...but Pink Floyd is about music first of all and live singing at a live concert (or a show) is a must. And so yes, it was a great show, great spectacle, but in retrospect I have mixed feelings about it and I don't put it anywhere among the best concerts I have seen, which I would if it was really live.

But I'm definitely getting the DVD, I didn't know it was to be released so soon after the theatrical release, so thanks for the heads-up.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2015 10:34

crholmstrom
I bought the blu-ray yesterday of "The Wall" concert. It is stunning. Not just a concert film but a document of Roger's journey to visit the graves of his father & grandfather who died in WW1 & WW2. Extremely powerful & emotional. The concert itself is well filmed & the sound is fantastic. I saw Pink Floyd do "The Wall" in 1980 & Roger do it a few years ago. Hate to say it but Roger's version surpassed the original. It was one of the best big concerts I've ever seen. The piece has aged real well & continues to grow. This blu-ray is well worth buying if you're interested. There is a bonus disc that includes "Comfortably Numb" with David Gilmour in London. Really impressive. I met Roger on the Radio Chaos tour & while he was nice to me back then he seems to be more comfortable in his own skin now. Some will disagree but I think "The Wall" is a work of genius. I don't throw that term around lightly. It resonates even stronger in this age. Wow! Ha ha, charade you are!smoking smiley

I saw the Wall twice in 1980, and the Roger version 8 times (arenas and stadiums).
While perhaps visually more stunning with all the latest state of the art effects, there's no way it was better than the original Pink Floyd version musically imo.
Did you know he lip-synched quite a bit of those recent performances? And the original version was just as visually stunning given the state of the art context of 1980 - it set the bar for every concert I had seen afterwards (stage and visuals), until Roger brought it back, but again just visually speaking. The original concept/story had been updated (some say diluted) and while it was indeed interesting, it seemed to be a bit of a mumbo jumbo of clashing ideas that didn't quite fully gel as a whole. The original was simply the story of the character 'Pink' losing his father as a kid, rising to fame, turning into an egomaniac, having a mental breakdown, and ultimately coming to terms with it all. The new version incorporated a global concept that veered a bit too far from the isolation of the individual. It sort of worked I suppose, but it defnitely wasn't as seamless as it originally was.

Not to belittle those Roger shows as they were indeed stunning, but with the lip synching factor, a Gilmour vocal impersonator, not to mention all the other sideman it took to replicate it including GE Smith (aaggh), etc., it falls well short of the original imo. If one wants to listen to a live version of the Wall, there's no other choice than the official Is There Anybody Out There by Pink Floyd documenting those original shows. If one wants a nice souvenir of Rogers version, the film is a nice keepsake with some moving moments (visiting his father and grandfather's graves), but probably best to avoid buying the new cd on it's own.

With all that said, the original album is a timeless concept album and masterpiece, but perhaps not everyone's cup of tea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 10:38 by Hairball.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 2, 2015 10:37

crholmstrom
There is a bonus disc that includes "Comfortably Numb" with David Gilmour in London.

I remember seeing it on YouTube the next day (I mean, everybody saw it on Youtube the next day, right? The expectations were so high - Roger and David together!) and I remember that David's playing was waaay below his standard. It is understood, it is the most difficult task to enter into the whole tour just for one song (or was it even only for the solo?) and with the expectations being that high. Anyway, I haven't seen the DVD yet, but I suspect they had to overdub the solo for the release. Or how is it?

Date: December 2, 2015 10:44

Happy24
crholmstrom
There is a bonus disc that includes "Comfortably Numb" with David Gilmour in London.

I remember seeing it on YouTube the next day (I mean, everybody saw it on Youtube the next day, right? The expectations were so high - Roger and David together!) and I remember that David's playing was waaay below his standard. It is understood, it is the most difficult task to enter into the whole tour just for one song (or was it even only for the solo?) and with the expectations being that high. Anyway, I haven't seen the DVD yet, but I suspect they had to overdub the solo for the release. Or how is it?

Along with messing up the guitar solo I think he also screwed up on some of his lyrics.
Being put in the spotlight for one song standing in the center on top of a giant wall in front of thousands of people
knowing you're being filmed and every second scrutinized may have had something to do with the jitters.
But according to some friends who've seen the extras, it's all there warts and all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 10:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2015 11:17

I have a lot of respect for Roger. He definitely has a message & is not afraid to share it even if it isn't popular with everyone. I recently posted about "Amused To Death". I think that record was way ahead of its time & deserves a listen. + it has Jeff Beck shredding all over it! I was initially skeptical about seeing the latest "Wall" having seen the original. I got talked into it & was so glad I went. I find it (& the film) packed an emotional punch that is sadly lacking in a lot of today's music. I think Roger still has some more good music in him & I hope he gets it out. I think the film is worth watching even if you don't share my opinion. It stands as a good movie in its own right.

Posted by: tomy1 ()
Date: December 2, 2015 14:22

I saw the show four times (DC-Tampa-Miami-Orlando) simply fantastic. I had second row dead center floor seats for the DC show and Roger (DID) lip-sync - he would hold the mic close to his mouth and you could hear the words over the sound system but his mouth did not move??

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 2, 2015 15:08

crholmstrom

While perhaps visually more stunning with all the latest state of the art effects, there's no way it was better than the original Pink Floyd version musically imo.

x1

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 2, 2015 15:31

so is this new release a complete Wall concert ?or is it chopped up?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 2, 2015 15:40

Live review: Roger Waters, Time Warner Cable Arena, 7/10/2012

Halfway through "Comfortably Numb," Roger Waters let his microphone drop down toward his hips for a brief moment and his mouth stopped moving. However, his vocals sounded just as clear as they had a moment earlier. For anyone not sitting close to the stage, that may have been the only clue that Waters wasn't singing live for much of his performance of The Wall on Tuesday night at Charlotte's Time Warner Cable Arena. Unless, of course, you saw him cough during "Mother" or noticed he had nearly closed lips while belting out "In the Flesh."

Given Waters' admissions of using backing tracks and how weak his vocals have been in recent years (Live 8 in 2005, anyone?), it was hard to tell if he sang anything live, but most people in attendance probably didn't care. Pink Floyd isn't touring anymore, so this was about as close as anyone's going to get. And, after all, it's The Wall — a favorite for many music fans. But if not for the size of the production and the actual wall itself, it would have been a better fit as a one- or two-week run at Belk Theatre instead of masquerading as a full-fledged concert in a large arena.

The performance, as a whole, went off without a hitch. Of course the vocals were clear, but there were moments you weren't sure the band was playing live, either. Why? It was too perfect. Nothing sounded amiss and if you watch video from any other tour stop in the last two years, it looks and sounds exactly the same — from the vocals to the music to the gestures Waters makes while performing. As hundreds of people held up distracting, glowing cell phones trying to videotape the performance, I wondered why they don't just buy the DVD.

While Pink Floyd would improvise and explore the terrain of each song the band played (I got to see Floyd perform live twice), Waters' The Wall is an exercise in performance like you'd expect during a play. The visuals were stunning — massive set pieces including an inflatable teacher and flower, a large plane flying through the wall, the construction of the wall onto which images were projected, etc. — but at times the band and Waters himself lacked emotion. There was too much "going through the motions" and not enough spirit brought forth. Maybe that's what happens when you perform the same exact show nearly 200 times.

At 68, Waters has reinvigorated the wall's theme with modern-day political images and the performance recreates The Wall from start to finish. Was it well done? Yes. Memorable? Of course. But lip synching is at the top of my shit list. If you can't sing and dance at the same time, maybe you shouldn't dance (Right, Ms. Spears?). And if at 68 you can't sing like you used to, maybe you shouldn't act like you are doing that, either.

[clclt.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 2, 2015 16:23

TheGreek
so is this new release a complete Wall concert ?or is it chopped up?

The DVD/BR is not a concert film. There are documentaries between songs, that of course spoils the flow. The CD has the full concert but I´m sure it is so heavily overdubbed that it is almost a studio re-recording of The Wall.

The only sense in this tour is to get Roger a lot of money. He´s lip-syncing most of the time, oh my goodness. He never was much of a singer but when his voice has gotten so weak that he cant sing live anymore he should better quit this game. Give the people live music and give the people live vocals or else piss off.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 2, 2015 17:26

Hairball
crholmstrom

I saw the Wall twice in 1980, and the Roger version 8 times (arenas and stadiums).
Did you know he lip-synched quite a bit of those recent performances? And the original version was just as visually stunning given the state of the art context of 1980 - it set the bar for every concert I had seen afterwards (stage and visuals), until Roger brought it back, but again just visually speaking. The original concept/story had been updated (some say diluted) and while it was indeed interesting, it seemed to be a bit of a mumbo jumbo of clashing ideas that didn't quite fully gel as a whole. The original was simply the story of the character 'Pink' losing his father as a kid, rising to fame, turning into an egomaniac, having a mental breakdown, and ultimately coming to terms with it all. The new version incorporated a global concept that veered a bit too far from the isolation of the individual. It sort of worked I suppose, but it defnitely wasn't as seamless as it originally was.

Not to belittle those Roger shows as they were indeed stunning, but with the lip synching factor, a Gilmour vocal impersonator, not to mention all the other sideman it took to replicate it including GE Smith (aaggh), etc., it falls well short of the original imo. If one wants to listen to a live version of the Wall, there's no other choice than the official Is There Anybody Out There by Pink Floyd documenting those original shows. If one wants a nice souvenir of Rogers version, the film is a nice keepsake with some moving moments (visiting his father and grandfather's graves), but probably best to avoid buying the new cd on it's own.

With all that said, the original album is a timeless concept album and masterpiece, but perhaps not everyone's cup of tea

Well put Hairball. I agree the music was best in the earlier Pink Floyd shows. Great point about the concept getting a makeover too. Roger's voice definitely had gone through some changes since 1980, that was clearly noticeable. But I did enjoy the later show too though, it was some of the best all around entertainment that year, quite an ordeal. Much like a modern Stones show in that it wasn't the best you've heard musically but still a joy to behold and a great time.

Date: December 2, 2015 18:08

Valeswood
Hairball

x1

I fixed your quote Valeswoos, as you somehow accidentally credited the above to crholmstrom stated - "Hate to say it but Roger's version surpassed the original".

crholmstrom
I have a lot of respect for Roger. He definitely has a message & is not afraid to share it even if it isn't popular with everyone. I recently posted about "Amused To Death". I think that record was way ahead of its time & deserves a listen. + it has Jeff Beck shredding all over it! I was initially skeptical about seeing the latest "Wall" having seen the original. I got talked into it & was so glad I went. I find it (& the film) packed an emotional punch that is sadly lacking in a lot of today's music. I think Roger still has some more good music in him & I hope he gets it out. I think the film is worth watching even if you don't share my opinion. It stands as a good movie in its own right.

Huge respect for Roger as well - he's the 'Mastermind' who wrote 90% of everything Pink Floyd in the post-Syd era imo.
Amused to Death w/Jeff Beck is indeed great, but can be a tough listen for some as it's conceptually heavy and the music itself is closer to Pink Floyd's Final Cut (basically a Roger solo album) then what alot people would consider the classic Pink Floyd sound(Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall). I'm glad you were talked into going as it would have been a bummer to miss such a grand spectacle. I have friends who are casual Pink Floyd fans at best who were completeley blown away by the show, and to this day still rave about it. I don't get into critical comparisons with them as done here (this is a music forum), other than to say the original was better. And with that I agree the concert and the film both packed a powerful punch. Remember the scene on the Wall during Vera where the little girl breaks down to see her father returning from war? I choke up a little even typing this now. Or during One of My Turns where the lady's face (his girlfriend/wife?) on the right side of the Wall slowly starts tearing up and ultimately floods with green yellow drippings? Being a visual artist and having experienced similar situations with relationships (many of us have), I was moved every time I saw that. And during Mother where his younger self is projected on the Wall performing it from Earls Court '81 and he accompanies himself then and now? The list goes on and on... combining art and 'live' music has never been done better than this, whether it was the original or the latest version. As I pointed out in my first post, the new version is more visually stunning than '80/'81, but not quite up to par with it on every other level. I agree the film is worth watching and stands alone on it's own merit - I do share your opinion on this. What I did say though is the new live cd on it's own is completely unnecessary - unless you don't mind massive overdubs, the thought of him lip-synching, inferior production, Gilmour impersonator, GE Smith haha, etc., etc., etc. Why bother when you can hear the originals (live or studio)?

According to several recent interviews, he is working on a new album (has been for like 20 years now), and has even played a couple of them in recent live appearances at Newport, etc. Supposedly a concept album about a Grandfather, his grandchild, and the atrocities of war...more of the same good old Roger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 18:10 by Hairball.

Date: December 2, 2015 18:28

GasLightStreet
Live review: Roger Waters, Time Warner Cable Arena, 7/10/2012

Halfway through "Comfortably Numb," Roger Waters let his microphone drop down toward his hips for a brief moment and his mouth stopped moving. However, his vocals sounded just as clear as they had a moment earlier. For anyone not sitting close to the stage, that may have been the only clue that Waters wasn't singing live for much of his performance of The Wall on Tuesday night at Charlotte's Time Warner Cable Arena. Unless, of course, you saw him cough during "Mother" or noticed he had nearly closed lips while belting out "In the Flesh."

Given Waters' admissions of using backing tracks and how weak his vocals have been in recent years (Live 8 in 2005, anyone?), it was hard to tell if he sang anything live, but most people in attendance probably didn't care. Pink Floyd isn't touring anymore, so this was about as close as anyone's going to get. And, after all, it's The Wall — a favorite for many music fans. But if not for the size of the production and the actual wall itself, it would have been a better fit as a one- or two-week run at Belk Theatre instead of masquerading as a full-fledged concert in a large arena.

The performance, as a whole, went off without a hitch. Of course the vocals were clear, but there were moments you weren't sure the band was playing live, either. Why? It was too perfect. Nothing sounded amiss and if you watch video from any other tour stop in the last two years, it looks and sounds exactly the same — from the vocals to the music to the gestures Waters makes while performing. As hundreds of people held up distracting, glowing cell phones trying to videotape the performance, I wondered why they don't just buy the DVD.

While Pink Floyd would improvise and explore the terrain of each song the band played (I got to see Floyd perform live twice), Waters' The Wall is an exercise in performance like you'd expect during a play. The visuals were stunning — massive set pieces including an inflatable teacher and flower, a large plane flying through the wall, the construction of the wall onto which images were projected, etc. — but at times the band and Waters himself lacked emotion. There was too much "going through the motions" and not enough spirit brought forth. Maybe that's what happens when you perform the same exact show nearly 200 times.

At 68, Waters has reinvigorated the wall's theme with modern-day political images and the performance recreates The Wall from start to finish. Was it well done? Yes. Memorable? Of course. But lip synching is at the top of my shit list. If you can't sing and dance at the same time, maybe you shouldn't dance (Right, Ms. Spears?). And if at 68 you can't sing like you used to, maybe you shouldn't act like you are doing that, either.

[clclt.com]

That's pretty much exactly what I'm talking about....eye rolling smiley

Enjoyed it enough to see multiple times and am glad I did, but most of my fond memories are based on the visual aspects of it all, which would have been just as good (actually, better) if the entire band was miming/acting and the singers lip-synching to the original album without a single note being played live. Just don't call it a live concert but rather a theatrical performance.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 2, 2015 20:32

I saw the show twice and loved it. However, I was not aware of the lip synching
until I read it here. Personally this lowers my overall opinion of the show.

This may go on more than we realize. As an example, I was front and center at Greg Lake's solo show a couple years ago. Before the show began his roadie forgot
to place Greg's microphone in the mic stand. The first song was "21st century
schizoid man". The music started and Greg came out. There was no microphone
present - yet his vocals began. He looked at the mic stand then simply walked
off the stage while his vocals played. He returned by the second tune with
a microphone(maybe only a prop). He never acknowledged the snafu.

Possibly this lip syncing will become more common as artists age - but I certainly hope not.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 2, 2015 21:12

Hairball
crholmstrom

With all that said, the original album is a timeless concept album and masterpiece, bNational Geographic is doing a special filming Fri nite. Underground Washington.. We play originals first set for copywriter issues. Dress accordingly.ut perhaps not everyone's cup of tea
Hell yes. No comparison. I was there 3x in 1980 Roger at Yankee Stadium was not an equal.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 2, 2015 21:19

I saw the Hartford show in 2012, and while it was visually brilliant and moving, the sheer amount of lip-synching by Roger was staggering and left a bad taste in my mouth.

I didn't know beforehand, and can clearly remember listening and thinking to myself, "There is NO WAY a man Roger's age is singing these songs like this."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 2, 2015 21:22

swimtothemoon
It became gradually apparent to me as I watched the show that there was some serious chicanery going on with the vocals.

The vocal power required for some of the tracks was well beyond what a man Roger's age could deliver (aside from, say, Ronnie James Dio).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 2, 2015 21:22

So Rogers' performance of THE WALL is the very essence of a live album with overdubs... as a live show. Perfect every time.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 2, 2015 23:16

swimtothemoon

This may go on more than we realize. As an example, I was front and center at Greg Lake's solo show a couple years ago. Before the show began his roadie forgot
to place Greg's microphone in the mic stand. The first song was "21st century
schizoid man". The music started and Greg came out. There was no microphone
present - yet his vocals began. He looked at the mic stand then simply walked
off the stage while his vocals played
. He returned by the second tune with
a microphone(maybe only a prop). He never acknowledged the snafu.

Possibly this lip syncing will become more common as artists age - but I certainly hope not.

...what a bunch of cheaters they all are, if they cant sing anymore they should not go on tour to rip off their fans.

Date: December 3, 2015 00:28

DoomandGloom
Hairball
crholmstrom

With all that said, the original album is a timeless concept album and masterpiece, bNational Geographic is doing a special filming Fri nite. Underground Washington.. We play originals first set for copywriter issues. Dress accordingly.ut perhaps not everyone's cup of tea
Hell yes. No comparison. I was there 3x in 1980 Roger at Yankee Stadium was not an equal.

(Odd how that line I bolded above ended up in my paragraph you quoted as it isn;t in my original post. confused smiley )

Anyways, nice DoomandGloom!
Seeing as they only played a handful of shows L.A., New York, London, and Dortmund for that tour, I only know four other people (including my sister) who saw that tour! smileys with beer

The Wall Tour (1980–81)

As far as the lip-synching, Roger started doing that prior to his Wall tour. It was during his Dark Side of the Moon tour in '06 (possibly even before that) that my wife noticed it!
We had 2nd row at the Hollywood Bowl for the first night (30th row 2nd show - better visual perspective), and somewhere along the way my wife nudged me and asked 'is he lip-synching?'. I replied 'Nahhhhh...must be some sort of time delay due to quadrophonic sound system' haha little did I know! Eventually rumors started spreading, and then video evidence started making the rounds - busted! Once you can possibly accept that he does it occasionally, it's kind of easier to maybe overlook for the sake of the visual extravaganza, but it's really not forgivable at all...I feel like I'm being somewhat cheated or the victim of a hoax or a prank. Anyways, one thing I still wonder is that during the 100's of interviews he's done in the last 10 years or so, not one interviewer has asked him about this. Must be one of his conditions to have the interview granted...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-03 00:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: December 3, 2015 00:33

Roger Lip-syncing omg. Ha ha just pitiful. Terrible What a fraud! Milli Vanilli MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-03 01:25 by The Mez.

Date: December 3, 2015 00:47

Yes, the more I think about this the more disturbing it becomes. After all it is
supposed to be a live concert and is advertised as such. Seems there should be some disclosure before the fans shell out hundreds of dollars. Once disclosed
then the fan may make their own decision if this is worth the ticket price.
Otherwise, without disclosure, it is a fraud. Why else would this be hidden
from the ticket buyers except to protect ticket demand and prices.

Date: December 3, 2015 00:54

I want my money back! I was duped. Spent my $ under false pretenses Roger you phoney. Have you no shame!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 3, 2015 00:58

I had this on my Christmas list. I recently took it off and replaced it with the Neil Young Blue Notes release. I felt duped with the Wall 1990 and I figured it wasn't gonna happen again. There was, and will always be, only one "PINK FLOYD The Wall".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-03 01:01 by shadooby.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 3, 2015 02:05

I found the back and forth from the concert footage to Roger driving along in his Rolls jarring. At the very least he should have offered a "Watch Concert" option. Great quality audio and video though.

Date: December 3, 2015 02:19

Yes, I know what you mean. I love concert videos but want the whole show without
interruption. Like you said a watch concert only option would have provided this.
For me the documentary section is usually only a one time watch anyway.

Date: December 3, 2015 02:49

Any class action lawyers here? All concert goers got ripped off. Compensatory damages / Emotional distress even. Our hero was "pulling the strings behind the curtain" like the Wizard of Oz.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 3, 2015 03:01

I was an intern at a radio station and scored tickets from the inside. I think there were 4 nights. I think I went to three then sold the other to a pissed DJ. On the 4th night I got arrested selling bootleg t shirts. Pink had every vender busted that last night, I'm still a little sore at them. My only time in police custody fu*"in' Roger Waters. The energy in the audience was just unreal. The album was so popular, David on top of the wall.. Oh man.. Now we know that was prerecorded he was scared to death.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1330
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home