Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your favorite Stones related release of the year
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 1, 2015 10:00

I assume there won't be any other Stones releases this year (hope to be proven wrong though) but it was a great year for Stones fans.

My favorite release of the year was the Marquee Club on double LP + DVD : great concert, great sound and cool video to watch (and right price!).
I guess my second favorite would be Sticky Fingers Live 2015 but as it appears it won't be released properly (ie on CD/LP) this year and the download sounds so thin that I can only guess at how great this live album is actually...

Here's a list of the Stones related releases in 2015 :

- Sticky Fingers Deluxe (with alternate takes & 5 live tracks from the Roundhouse show)

- Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe (with a 3rd CD containing the Leeds show from 1971)

- Marquee Club CD/DVD/LP (From the Vaults series)

- Marquee Club CD & DVD with Brussels Affair 1973 concert on 2 CD's (released only in Japan)

- Sticky Fingers Live 2015 (iTunes download only)

- Bill Wyman - Back to Basics album

- Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart album

- Stones in The Park reissue on DVD (with enhanced stereo sound) (From the Vaults series)

- Live At The Tokyo Dome DVD/CD/LP (From the Vaults series)

- Live in Leeds 1982 DVD/CD/LP (From the Vaults series)

- Steel Wheels & Flashpoint new 2015 remasters (released on SHM-CD in Japan only)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 08:05 by kowalski.

Re: Your favorite Stones related release of the year
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 1, 2015 11:42

How could it be anything but the Sticky Fingers deluxe edition? Absolutely magnificent and the Stones playing like their lives depended on it.

Date: December 1, 2015 11:56

The ones I got and in my preferrable order:

1. Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe

2. Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart

3. Live in Leeds 1982 DVD/LP

4. Stones in The Park reissue on DVD

5. Sticky Fingers Live 2015

6. Live At The Tokyo Dome DVD/LP

7. Marquee Club DVD/LP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 11:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 1, 2015 12:13

As far as me there has been only one worth to mention. Crosseyed Heart of course.
Sticky Fingers I already knew and like. I don't see the point of re-releases.

Date: December 1, 2015 12:16

matxil
As far as me there has been only one worth to mention. Crosseyed Heart of course.

Did you know the Roundhouse show, the alternate takes and the full Leeds show in stereo + the single and the book ++? winking smiley

Date: December 1, 2015 12:21

DandelionPowderman
matxil

Did you know the Roundhouse show, the alternate takes and the full Leeds show in stereo + the single and the book ++? winking smiley

No. And maybe I'm missing a lot...
But since I haven't listened to them, I can't call them my favourites either. And really, post 80's live albums don't interest me much. With GYYO and the Brussels bootleg I'm happy. There's only so much live-albums I can really get into. Weird maybe, but in general I don't see much point in live-albums (with the exception of GYYO and maybe Still Life). It never catches the experience of being there and it hardly ever is as good as on the studio album either.

Date: December 1, 2015 12:34

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

But since I haven't listened to them, I can't call them my favourites either. And really, post 80's live albums don't interest me much. With GYYO and the Brussels bootleg I'm happy. There's only so much live-albums I can really get into. Weird maybe, but in general I don't see much point in live-albums (with the exception of GYYO and maybe Still Life). It never catches the experience of being there and it hardly ever is as good as on the studio album either.

Well, matxil, you missed this. I'd reconsider if I were you..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 1, 2015 12:35

All mentioned releases are stunning and great, with the exception of Tokyo 90, too many Steel Wheels songs on it. Exclude them and its quite enjoyable. The DVD of Tokyo is not my cup of tea, Mick´s hairdo and the horrible costumes they wore... almost funny, but very strange...

My favorite release is Sticky Fingers incl. Roundhouse and Leeds gig. Fantastic.

Crosseyed Heart had a lot of attention of course - wonder how it will be rated a decade from now. A solid album but no masterpiece, imo. The Stones´ last classic album DW is better, ABB is better and the best songs from B2B and VL are better than Crosseyed Heart.

Date: December 1, 2015 12:37

HMS
All mentioned releases are stunning and great, with the exception of Tokyo 90, too many Steel Wheels songs on it. Exclude them and its quite enjoyable. The DVD of Tokyo is not my cup of tea, Mick´s hairdo and the horrible costumes they wore... almost funny, but very strange...

My favorite release is Sticky Fingers incl. Roundhouse and Leeds gig. Fantastic.

Crosseyed Heart had a lot of attention of course - wonder how it will be rated a decade from now. A solid album but no masterpiece, imo. The Stones´ last classic album DW is better, ABB is better and the best songs from B2B and VL are better than Crosseyed Heart.

smoking smiley

Date: December 1, 2015 13:13

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

Well, matxil, you missed this. I'd reconsider if I were you..

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you smileys with beer I won't deny I enjoyed that. Probably if I would hear it like that really live (i.e. being present at the concert) I'd have enjoyed it very much.
But I still wouldn't buy the album for the simple reason that I know I wouldn't listen to it much (or at all) at home.
I am so used to GYYO, that I actually listen to it as if it was a studio-album. The versions of Stray Cat Blues, LiV, Sympathy and Midnight Rambler, for instance, are sufficiently different from the studio versions to listen them without comparing them to the originals. As another poster said in the GYYO thread, GYYO is "in my blood" (or something like that).
Probably, if I would listen to Roundhouse or Leeds thousands of time, the same might happen. I suppose if it really would be outstandingly better than the GYYO version I'd take that effort, but - from the biased comfort of what I am already used to - I'm not even sure I prefer this version. I think I like Taylor's guitar better on GYYO, also I like the slowness of it on GYYO (if I want it faster, I can listen to Beggars Banquet). Like Little Queenie, I think the slowness sort of contributes to the sexual innuendos of the lyrics. There's something about this Roundhouse version, in the rhythm, which reminds me a bit of "Sweet Home Alabama", which is for me too middle-of-the-road rock.
Still, I enjoyed listening to it right now.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 1, 2015 13:35

matxil
The versions of Stray Cat Blues... sufficiently different from the studio versions*

Probably, if I would listen to Roundhouse or Leeds thousands of time, the same might happen.**

...which reminds me a bit of "Sweet Home Alabama", which is for me too middle-of-the-road rock.***

*Oh yes, that version of Stray Cat Blues is different - the girl is even younger than on the studio version...

**...You dont have to listen to Leeds and Roundhouse a thousand times, a dozen times would do to start the same thing happening as with GYYO, believe me.

***..."Sweet Home Alabama" is one of the greatest all-time-classics ever!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 1, 2015 13:37

Interesting comments by maxtil. I would agree on several counts but I'm always eager to hear more. Btw, I almost forgot about the Roundhouse tracks, unbelievable as I've waited many years for this. In my opinion this demonstrates it's almost too late to release rarities we've been waiting for. Still, I'm sure to buy most anything that comes out. Unless it's a total rip-off. Onto my favorite this year- SF Deluxe Box for the extras and book. Though as many have already pointed out (in past threads) the DVD was a waste of space. I know it was meant as a teaser, but that's only good for a short time. Almost better they didn't include it. My two cents.

Date: December 1, 2015 14:19

HMS

***..."Sweet Home Alabama" is one of the greatest all-time-classics ever!

Yes, I know it's a classic, but I still think it's awful. The same goes for "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Yellow Submarine", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and a long list of other "classics" which I cannot stand.
"Sweet Home Alabama" is the perfect example of middle-of-the-road cowboy rock: no soul, no groove, just stamping your boots. When I hear it, I see people with the wrong kind of jeans, with "Barcelone Hard-rock Café" t-shirts and 80's bandanas line-dancing.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 1, 2015 15:26

I gotta go with "Crosseyed Heart" although some of the vault releases were kickass..Marquee w/ Brussels would be my favorite followed by Leeds....& the Sticky Fingers super deluxe has to be included...all in all a very good sounding year.....cant forget sticky fingers LIVE....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 15:28 by detroitken.

Date: December 1, 2015 16:15

Silver Dagger
How could it be anything but the Sticky Fingers deluxe edition? Absolutely magnificent and the Stones playing like their lives depended on it.

To me the SF reissue was a bit disappointing : only 5 "alternate" tracks, no outtake and 5 live songs. The Leeds concert is a nice addition but the price was way too high anyway so I skept it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 1, 2015 16:41

The new releases 2015, the order they came, because
the entire year of '15 Rolling Stones experience for me
has been a complete blast!
Sticky Deluxe release- the alternative version Can't You Hear Me Knocking
those fat, raw licks-- perfecto. Tunes helped train for Zipcode San Diego ;-)
Sticky Fonda live release- *****
Crosseyed Heart *****
I am missing some DVD's from the vault releases this year tho,
I certainly intend and want them, and hope they are still there when I'm ready.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2015 16:44

CROSSEYED HEART - #1 easily.
Sticky Fingers Deluxe

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: December 1, 2015 17:10

kowalski
Silver Dagger

To me the SF reissue was a bit disappointing : only 5 "alternate" tracks, no outtake and 5 live songs. The Leeds concert is a nice addition but the price was way too high anyway so I skept it.

Same here I just couldn't justify that buy. Actually I didn't buy any version of the SF reissue, the studio outtakes alone wasn't worth it.

Out of the releases I did buy:

1. Live In Leeds 1982 - 9/10
2. Live At The Tokyo Dome - 8/10 - Great improvement over the existing bootleg. BUT the 2 cd's should have been from a different night as with LA Friday.
3. Back To Basics - 8/10 - Very cool laid-back record, great songwriting.
4. Crosseyed Heart - 7/10 - Haven't really given it a chance but a few songs were ok I guess.
5. Live at the Marquee - 5/10 - So few songs! Very lifeless performance which sounds kind of out of tune. Dry sounding recording as well. I've watched it once since it came out, not sure when I'll I give it another try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 17:11 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 1, 2015 17:17

1.Crosseyed Heart
2.Sticky Fingers Live 2015
3.Sticky Fingers Super DeLuxe
4.Live In Leeds 1982
5.Tokyo Dome 1990
6.Marquee Club 1971

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 1, 2015 21:13

After listening to more Sticky Super Deluxe release this morning
(new to me 2015/ never heard bootlegs of it before)
Can I just say, can I get a witness
Honky Tonk Women played live 1971
(my God both Roundhouse and Leeds)
is an entirely different song!
These recordings have made the studio track completely obsolete to me now.
And that Leeds Satisfaction? Sweet. Jim Price, the horns, remarkable in somewhat simple yet song stealing performance.
Yes, it's been a good year.
Astounding, really.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 1, 2015 21:27

all of them .how can i pick one over the other when i love them all

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:09

We've certainly been spoilt but surely it's gotta be Crosseyed Heart, far better than many expected with a real timeless quality.
When it's finally all over I'm sure this will be viewed as a standout.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:13

In no order: Sticky Fingers super deluxe, Marquee / Brussels, and Cross Eyed Heart.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:32

DandelionPowderman
matxil

Dandy you're always up for a discussion if it doesn't quite match your exact sentiments. I also go with Crosseyed Heart because it is new material and happily exceeded my expectations!! I'm still going thru Leeds '82 and it could be my #2, especially after hearing Angie.

Date: December 2, 2015 00:38

TheBlockbuster
kowalski
Silver Dagger

Same here I just couldn't justify that buy. Actually I didn't buy any version of the SF reissue, the studio outtakes alone wasn't worth it.

Out of the releases I did buy:

1. Live In Leeds 1982 - 9/10
2. Live At The Tokyo Dome - 8/10 - Great improvement over the existing bootleg. BUT the 2 cd's should have been from a different night as with LA Friday.
3. Back To Basics - 8/10 - Very cool laid-back record, great songwriting.
4. Crosseyed Heart - 7/10 - Haven't really given it a chance but a few songs were ok I guess.
5. Live at the Marquee - 5/10 - So few songs! Very lifeless performance which sounds kind of out of tune. Dry sounding recording as well. I've watched it once since it came out, not sure when I'll I give it another try.

If you get the chance, give a try to the Marquee on vinyl. Very different experience (from the CD or DVD).

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 2, 2015 06:00

Don't forget Steel Wheels and Flashpoint.
I received them today with a bonus poster.

For the first time I bought Steel Wheels before I go to Cincinnati for the Stones show.
I remember I dubbed it to the cassete tape for Sony Walkman and was listening it again and again in 14 hours flight all the way from Tokyo to Cincinnati.
The sound has been improved considerably and become wonderful.
DSD mastering rules!

Date: December 2, 2015 06:22

Toru, are these two reissues limited to Japan ?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 2, 2015 07:19

kowalski
I guess you are right as same as other platinum Shm releases.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 2, 2015 07:24

Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe by a Moonlight Mile!

And matxil I agree with you about Bohemian Rhapsody, Yellow Submarine, and The Lion Sleeps Tonight but I think you missed the boat with Sweet Home Alabama. Those guitars are grooving. That is a well put together tune, tasty leads, great lyrics, classic intro.

Date: December 2, 2015 08:06

Toru A
kowalski
I guess you are right as same as other platinum Shm releases.

Thanks. I edited the list on the first post accordingly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home