Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Double vinyl albums
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:11

Recently I bought Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti on vinyl. I only had a CD before. I discovered that the sides are pressed in the following order: 1 & 4 on the 1st disc and 2 & 3 on the 2nd disc. Never seen something like this before, but I did a small internet research and learned that some record labels pressed vinyl like this for people who had double record players so you could listen to them without changing side every time. Is it true? Have you ever come across such records? Or is it just a Zappa joke to confuse his fans? All my other double albums incl. Exile, LYL, Hot Rocks etc. are normal.

Re: OT: Double vinyl albums
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:31

Never heard of such a thing, but would have to check every double vinyl I have to see if true for any of them - don't think so though.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:34

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:41

It should be side 1 and 3 on the first disc and 2 and 4 on the second. That way, you just flip them once to play all 4 sides.

Date: November 23, 2015 20:52

Koen
[www.zappa.com]

Interesting, ...maybe they did for a period of time (and before my vinyl buying time) for certain albums?
I just grabbed a random double off the shelf - Pink Floyd The Wall original from 1979 - and it's side 1&2, then side 3&4.

This quote from link was funny:

"My vinyl of The Very Very Best of The Carpenters is 1,2,4,3. That's just odd".

Didn't realize the Carpenters had enough 'bests' to make a double album - I do own a single album greatest hits of theirs though. smiling smiley

Date: November 23, 2015 20:54

I wonder if all pressings are this way. Has any of you got Sheik Yerbouti on vinyl?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:55

franzk
1 & 4 on the 1st disc and 2 & 3 on the 2nd disc.
Have you ever come across such records?
All my other double albums incl. Exile, LYL, Hot Rocks etc. are normal.

Try More Hot Rocks!!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:56

I used to have it, but I don't remember the order.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:57

Bob Dylan & The Band's 1974 live album "Before the Flood" is also like that....side 1 & 3 on the first LP. I think it's a German pressing I have....can't remember for sure. Maybe Dutch? Anyway, it'confusing! Because I always flip the album after side 1, and then it's too late to stop it, as I don't wanna ruin the flow after the first song, on side 3, has started, so I have to listen to the remaining 75% of the LP in the incorrect order. It'll ruin ones day completely

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 21:02 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2015 21:19

There's also a Bessie Smith collection (5 double albums) like that.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: November 23, 2015 21:20

My copy of The Who's Tommy is like that.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 23, 2015 21:22

I have loads of such double-albums...It has never been any problems for me to find the songs I like....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 23, 2015 21:36

1-4 2-3 double albums and 1-6 2-5 3-4 triple albums used to be a somewhat common practice, particularly with double and triple live albums. With a double, if your turntable allowed you to stack records, you could play side one from LP one, then side two from LP two would stack on top of LP one. Then, you could flip the entire stack and play side three from LP two and side four from LP one. Some old record players allowed stacking as many as six records. However, I was always leery about damaging my records and wouldn't stack them.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2015 22:17

Johnny Winter - Second Winter .... Double album but a blank forth side

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 23, 2015 22:30

Here, My Dear by Marin Gaye is also like that. Always wondered why.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2015 22:40

too many good tracks for a single album ... not enough good ones for a double

ROCKMAN

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 23, 2015 23:28

I'm pretty sure that "Songs in the Key of Life" by Stewie Wonder has also a strange side orders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 08:57 by djgab.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 23, 2015 23:39

The side order mentioned isn't strange. As mentioned a few times, it's so that you can flip the albums once and play it all in order.

flip

thus, 1 and 4 on one disk, and 2 and 3 on the other. very straightforward.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 24, 2015 00:37

Yeah there's more than you'd think like that. Right off I remember REO Speedwagon's "Live-You Get What You Play For". Although I never liked using changers and having the top record fall on the bottom so to me it was sort of a hassle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-24 00:39 by shadooby.

Date: November 24, 2015 10:06

Of the side orders mentioned here must 1 + 3, 2 + 4 be the most unusual. I have lots of 1 + 4, 2 + 3 in my double-LP Collection, especially with Zappa...all of his double-albums is live-stuff except for 200 Motels and Uncle Meat...Neil Youngs triple album Psychedelic Pill has also a blank 6th side just like Winter had on his Second Winter...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 24, 2015 10:17

Not a double-album but another story:
After trying to get my hands on Peter Green's "The end of the game" I finally succeeded (this was in middle 70's).
Even if it's instrumental I knew the songs and discovered that my LP-record's labels was mixed up. The label for side A was on the B-side and vice versa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-24 10:18 by Thommie.

Date: November 24, 2015 10:39

Thommie
After trying to get my hands on Peter Green's "The end of the game" I finally succeeded (this was in middle 70's).
Even if it's instrumental I knew the songs and discovered that my LP-record's labels was mixed up. The label for side A was on the B-side and vice versa.

You found it out listening to 'Shake your moneymaker' I guess...we need no vocal to Catch that one...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: November 24, 2015 12:51

Rockman

I think Vintage Vinos LP is also like that.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 24, 2015 16:23

Thommie

What an album...

Date: November 24, 2015 16:25

Very common in the 70s. I have lots of records with 1/4 and 2/3. Annoying as hell, but common just the same...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 24, 2015 16:46

franzk
Rockman

I think Vintage Vinos LP is also like that.

Yes, as also as Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (the second record, with the bonus tracks).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 24, 2015 17:24

DandelionPowderman
Very common in the 70s. I have lots of records with 1/4 and 2/3. Annoying as hell, but common just the same...

Yup. Concert For Bangladesh is a great example of it on a 6 sided album. Its like 1 and 6, 2 and 5, then 3 and 4. I think Hendrix's Electric Ladyland was like this too (1,4 and 2,3). And All Things Must Pass is probably like that. Very common.

Date: November 24, 2015 19:42

After a quick glance due to time constraints yesterday grabbing the Wall album off my shelf (1,2 &3,4), I'll do further 'research' of my double vinyls.
I started buying vinyl in the early-mid '70's, and haven't parted with any of them, and so will have lots to look through (Electric Ladyland, Eat a Peach,etc.).
Also inherited my older bro's massive collection, so that's another gigantic pile to go through (apprx. 2,000), and would probably include more stuff bought in the early '70's.
I don't recall it ever being as common as some of you say, but could be faded memory. When I get back home tomorrow I'll check it out.
The entire collection needs some re-organization anyways - something I've been procrastinating - so now's a good reason to begin the process.thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2015 19:44

I've noticed this phenomena on some of the Time/Life boxset releases from the 60s and 70s. Can't say I've noticed it on many double albums though.

Date: November 24, 2015 19:57

treaclefingers
I've noticed this phenomena on some of the Time/Life boxset releases from the 60s and 70s. Can't say I've noticed it on many double albums though.

Well if you could give some examples you'd save me a hell of a lot of sorting, and allow me to procrastinate my re-organization process longer please. smiling smiley

Just kidding, my curiosity has been piqued, and have my goals set in action...starting tomorrow. haha

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home