Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Review fragments amazon co.uk
Posted by: Jagiero ()
Date: August 12, 2005 22:44

Difficult to give a review about fragments but i have a good feeling about a Bigger Bang. I listened at least ten times to every fragment.
I'm not sure this album is a classic like Exile or Sticky Fingers but i dare say this is the best Stonesalbum in 25 years.
For me 4 classic songs and the rest goes from very good to good.

Oh No Not You Again is a classic
This House is Empty Without You is a classic
Let Me Down Slow is a classic
Biggest Mistake is a classic

What's your opinion?

Re: Review fragments amazon co.uk
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 12, 2005 22:46

I would add Laugh, I Nearly Died to that list

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 12, 2005 22:48

unfortunately, "Laughed" seems to suffer from that awkward vocal delivery that Mick gave us on its musical forebearer, OOC. For that reason alone I'm gonna have trouble getting my arms around this song....

Posted by: Jagiero ()
Date: August 12, 2005 22:49

Laugh, I Nearly Died is not bad but for me it's not a classic.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 12, 2005 22:53

Just to prove that you can't argue about taste >> Laugh is absolutely the beauty from what I heard so far >> chickenskin!

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: August 12, 2005 23:03

What's most amazing to me about ABB, is that most fans already like and even love it. It wasn't so long ago that I recall seeing posts about various albums that grew on people over a perios of time or were revisited and found to be better than originally thought. If this one has this much positive reaction straight out of the gate, it may very well prove to be a classic in the catalogue. I won't pre-buy from Amazon though...who can wait for it to be delivered!?

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 12, 2005 23:06

we can argue about taste all we want! how boring would this forum be if everyone just echo'd everyone else. i think laugh sounds pretty boring, but thats me. onnya is going to be my favorite track on this album. i'm certain of that. just from the samples its easy to tell this album is going to be fantastic. gotta love new stones.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 12, 2005 23:40

4tylix - when you buy from amazon it generally arrives on release day...

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 13, 2005 00:37

The thing that most impresses me (so far) is the simple fact that the Stones are packing 16 tracks on the CD -- back in the old LP days, this could easily be a double album.

For that matter, the band could do a whole show just by performing this album, from start to finish.

Right now, I believe that all of the fears expressed on this board were unfounded, and the band has indeed surpassed all expectations.

Release date is only 25 days away.

A personal note: after seeing the video clips from the Phoenix, I think the band is supremely confident and sure of themselves. They read and hear the reactions for the new material, and it is overwhelmingly positive. This gives them a jump start for the new tour -- they will be firing on all cylinders from the first show. All of this is nothing short of incredible, and will put paid to the accusations that they are just a nostalgia act. Once again, the naysayers and negativists will have to eat their words, and the believers will get a fresh shot of faith.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: August 13, 2005 00:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 04:47 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 13, 2005 00:50

It sounds like absolute bollocks to me, but hey, that's just me. If everyone else feels that this is a "Classic" them I'm obviously wrong. The production quality/"sound" sounds like crap to me.... lightyears behind the"Jimmy Miller sound". And Keith croaking out 2 pointless ballads (which sound exactly like all of his previous pointless ballads by the way) is simply too much. Hell, the whole thing sounds like a pastiche of all of their songs from the last 3 or 4 albums without the better songs! I'll buy it as a lark but it certainly isn't going to supplant any of the Miller era masterpieces.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 13, 2005 00:57

I've been listening for forty years and this sounds like their weakest with Don Was. Hey Keith enough of these slow ballards. Lets here something like offender outakes!

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: August 13, 2005 03:26

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4tylix - when you buy from amazon it generally
> arrives on release day...

is that right? thanks for that info! Still, if it didn't arrive until the next day it'd kill me. Gotta have this one when the stores open!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 13, 2005 07:52

I'm suprised to hear bashing of the sound quality. Obviously the Stones are pleased with the sound, otherwise it would still be in the mixing stage. Rough Justice is a good gauge of what the album will sound like, and its great. Punchy, loud rock n roll. The vocal overlays are subtle, every instrument sounds fantastic, and the whole thing is very balanced.

I cant wait to hear reactions when everyone gets to hear ONNYA on the cd. To me this album sounds like it has two views. There's the side with straightup rockers and medium tempo songs (Biggest Mistake, Driving Too Fast, ONNYA, etc...) and then there's all this funk stuff which I think sounds killer. If A Bigger Bang had been released in place of Black n Blue it would have been hailed as a classic. Unfortunately people are too stubborn to accept anything new as "classic". Apparently the Stones are incapable of topping their previous efforts.

I find it interesting just how much impact this has had on my friends. I've played the four tunes for many of my friends (not talking about the 30 second samples) and everyone I know will be purchasing this album. Rough Justice and ONNYA have floored everyone.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 13, 2005 08:20

Of course it's going to be a classic. Because we have already deemed it a classic. Just by existing at this point in time it becomes a xlassic of sorts.
So it's almost a moot point. We are going to elevate it.
But besides all that I myself am digging this album seriously. Of course it is not Jimmy Miller era album. Jimmy Miller is dead. This is the Stones in '05. This is what they came up with. From what I can hear, from their attitude so far promoting it, it sounds raw and without apologies. Which is exactly what I woulkd love from them. They are not going to fly to Morocco and enlist chanting bedouins. No London choirs, no string sections. Not even a lone synthesizer, or horn. NOT EVEN A SAX!
This is all the way back to the basment. garage sounds from Jagger and Keith with Charlie banging on the box, Ron sliding in a few times.
I love this. I love it so much. If there was any way they could have still given one more sneer, one last fukk all, then this is it I feel.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 13, 2005 11:36

I wouldn't say we deemed it a classic CD. The people are judging the album based on 30 sec. reviews. That just can't happen. Everything I've heard so far have been great (And I haven't listened to the reviews, 'cause I don't wanna know the whole album's feel already). I wanna be surprised and I'm sure that this is a killer.

I've got my bottle of Jack D ready for Sep. 5th, and boy oh boy is it gonna be cool.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: August 13, 2005 12:45

All I can say I'm very impressed. There is no bad or just "ok" song. The tunes are catchy and melodic, guitars and drums are raw, lyrics are best in years and Mick
sings even better. There is a strong funky and raggey feeling in the whole album, it's the same as punk in SG.
Time will show if Bigger Bang is a classic or not, but it is a VERY STRONG album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-13 12:46 by KillRill.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 13, 2005 13:33

Some numbers are OK by me, some don`t, but whit all the stones albums(cd`s), this one have to grow on me.
I`ll wait till it`s in the shop,after that i can judge it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home