Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Tops (New)
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 2, 2015 17:58

DandelionPowderman
Great song. Never grew tired of it. It's very slick, but those bridges are ethereal. One of Mick's best vocals thumbs up

I agree it's a cool song but dare I ask what you are referring to when you say bridges (plural)? I look at the "don't let the world pass you by" part as a single bridge in this one.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 2, 2015 18:37

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Great song. Never grew tired of it. It's very slick, but those bridges are ethereal. One of Mick's best vocals thumbs up

I agree it's a cool song but dare I ask what you are referring to when you say bridges (plural)? I look at the "don't let the world pass you by" part as a single bridge in this one.

For me it sounds like a triple + one bridge...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 2, 2015 18:44

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
Glad they saved this song for Tattoo You because it wouldn't have fitted in with Goat's Head Soup.

Here though, it's lush, featherbedding tones are perfect for that dreamy second side (on vinyl) of Tattoo You. I can't think of another Stones album that didn't have a rocker on one side so in that way TY is unique.

It's the sound of the Stones at their most seductive, from the laid back boogie of Worried About You to the trippy centrepiece of Heaven before the beautiful sentiment of Waiting On A Friend.

Yup, side 2 of Tattoo You, is one of the greatest sequenced set of songs the Stones ever put together. Twenty two minutes of sonic perfection.

Side 2 on Exile springs to mind smiling smiley

Yup - that's another one.

Date: November 2, 2015 20:21

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Let's agree to disagree about how transitional melodic pieces bridge verses and choruses together..

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 2, 2015 20:42

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Let's agree to disagree about how transitional melodic pieces bridge verses and choruses together..

the beatles talk a lot about the "middle 8" in their songs. it is usually 8 measures in length (hence the name) and its function is to contrast with the verses.

when keith says "horrible beatles bridge" in his cover of "please please me" he is referring to what is also known as the "middle 8". ( the "i don't mean to sound complaining ..." part)

perhaps some (naturalist?) have this strict definition of a bridge, and others interpret it more loosely to mean a melodic transition from verse to chorus and/or back.

Date: November 2, 2015 20:54

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I understand the concept of bridging different song parts together like verses and choruses, not sure there is anything to disagree about there except possibly what they are called. There are obviously well defined names and definitions for sections of songs ie) verse, chorus, bridge, per-chorus, intro, outro, etc. You can hopefully understand the confusion in using the term bridge to describe these transitions....especially when the tune contains a bridge in the traditional sense of the word. If you were playing in a band and said "let's start over from the bridge" I'm pretty sure nobody would be thinking of these transitions. winking smiley

Just trying to understand what parts you thought were ethereal actually. Always nice to be on the same page when discussing a piece of music.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 2, 2015 20:55

I played side 2, first 2 songs so many times over/over, and 'Tops' today over/over seeing this topic/ thanks for permission, I seriously have certain Stone song OCD. Can't cop to 'I'm a musician that's why' just... thinking I'm strange about this, IDK.

'Tops' 'Sway' 'Moonlight Mile' are probably as perfect as it gets. It's a spiritual experience (add TWFNO)
'Worried About You' chief #1 (I know no MT, it's just my favorite)

'Tops' is: Mr. Mick Jagger. We should all stand and applaud.
The whole thing just slays me.
Thanks for posting live links of 'Tops' I am so excited to hear it live I'm saving for later.

Date: November 2, 2015 20:56

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

the beatles talk a lot about the "middle 8" in their songs. it is usually 8 measures in length (hence the name) and its function is to contrast with the verses.

when keith says "horrible beatles bridge" in his cover of "please please me" he is referring to what is also known as the "middle 8". ( the "i don't mean to sound complaining ..." part)

perhaps some (naturalist?) have this strict definition of a bridge, and others interpret it more loosely to mean a melodic transition from verse to chorus and/or back.

No, he's just difficult. He deserves that you spell his handle correctly, though smiling smiley

A middle 8 has 8 measures. A bridge can have more (or less).

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: November 2, 2015 21:17

Outstanding song. One of the best.

Date: November 2, 2015 21:22

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

No, he's just difficult. He deserves that you spell his handle correctly, though smiling smiley

A middle 8 has 8 measures. A bridge can have more (or less).

In looking at the Wiki definition of bridge I see that it can also be used to represent a contrasting part in a AABA form, to quote "The bridge may be the third eight-bar phrase in a thirty-two-bar form (the B in AABA), or may be used more loosely in verse-chorus form, or, in a compound AABA form, used as a contrast to a full AABA section."

But in general in popular music we see it used and described in the more traditional sense "the bridge in verse-chorus and other forms is C, for example: ABABCAB, which is what I was referring to in the song Too Tough. I don't think it has to be 8 bars to be the bridge, many of them are more or less in my experience. Most all middle 8's are bridges but not all bridges are middle 8's

No worries how you spell my handle Turner, I wouldn't want to be difficult.winking smiley

Date: November 2, 2015 21:40

thumbs up

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 3, 2015 00:44

GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman

+1

+2

Date: November 3, 2015 02:37

alimente
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman

+1

+2

+ 2 3/4

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 3, 2015 03:15

one of my most favorite songs ever.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: November 3, 2015 03:32

An absolute lost classic - just a perfect song from a great album. I like Worried About You, but Tops is a far greater song and I wish they would play Tops live occassionally instead of Worried About You....

Date: November 3, 2015 05:02

My head's blown off. Just listened for the first time:
1972 'Tops' alternative version. Deep.
The 1981 live Philly version? So damn good it hurts. OMG the band. Keith.

Date: November 3, 2015 08:42

Turner68
alimente
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman

+1

+2

+ 2 3/4

Clever! smiling smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 09:12

It's almost a companion piece to Lonely at the Top. Although maybe Mick has met enough aspiring actresses he wasn't thinking of one song when he wrote the other.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: November 3, 2015 14:10

Most underrated Stones song ever!

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!

They just played it a few times live in '81/'82. I really hope they will play it once again.. Next year?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:56

One of Keiths best licks ever. One of their best fillers if you wanna call it that. I love it.

Date: November 3, 2015 19:40

It's stuff like Tops which is not exactly "Stones-by-numbers" which always leaves me listening with my mouth wide open in amazement. It speaks volumes that back in 1973, they were able to leave stuff like that in the can (and a bit later, Worried About You and Slave). One simply does not find quality like this on recent (oh, well...) Stones albums. The more I'm surprised not to find a song like "Blue" on an album like ABB (what would have lifted the average quality of the album considerably), but hidden on a Jagger solo CD-single instead that not even a lot of people on this board seem to know about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 19:42 by alimente.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 3, 2015 21:53

alimente
The more I'm surprised not to find a song like "Blue" on an album like ABB (what would have lifted the average quality of the album considerably), but hidden on a Jagger solo CD-single instead that not even a lot of people on this board seem to know about.

"Blue" and "If Things Could Be Different" are good songs and that is exactly the reason why they were not included in the Goddess-In-The-Doorway-album.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 3, 2015 21:56

"Tops" has always been a favorite of mine. Best song on side two. It´s damn slick indeed but this time the "slickness" fits the song/the lyrics perfectly.

Date: November 3, 2015 22:43

alimente
It's stuff like Tops which is not exactly "Stones-by-numbers" which always leaves me listening with my mouth wide open in amazement. It speaks volumes that back in 1973, they were able to leave stuff like that in the can (and a bit later, Worried About You and Slave). One simply does not find quality like this on recent (oh, well...) Stones albums. The more I'm surprised not to find a song like "Blue" on an album like ABB (what would have lifted the average quality of the album considerably), but hidden on a Jagger solo CD-single instead that not even a lot of people on this board seem to know about.

There are quite a few tracks that really could have been something on Voodoo Stew/Brew/Residue. With the same defication as earlier they could have made a killer album of those tracks, imo.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 3, 2015 23:21

marcovandereijk
This here version is published as stemming from the 1972-GHS sessions. If that information
is correct, would it mean Mick's first falsetto on record (not counting Dear Doctor)?

video: [www.youtube.com]

Thank you so much for posting this, marcovandereijk. Love this song, and love this take!

Still, it was hard for me to get my head and ears around this take being from 1972 Jamaica (or even 1973 Los Angeles). It sounds a lot closer to being finished, and in the style Mick was singing--later on.

Sounds more like the 1980 session referenced below, which does draw on an initial instrumental from 1972. Which begs the question--for me, at least--is Mick Taylor on it?

Mentions in nzentgraf as follows:

25th - 30th November & 6th - 21st December: Kingston, Jamaica, Dynamic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer: Andy Johns (with Carlton Lee). Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins (p; first three weeks)/Billy Preston (keyb; last week)
<snip>
- Tops I (MJ/KR) -instrumental

27th - 30th January: Los Angeles, Village Recorders. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound enginneer: Baker Bigsley. Additional musician: Nicky Hopkins (p, org).
<snip>
- Tops II (MJ/KR) -unverified alternate early version

11th October - 12th November & 25th November - ca. mid-December: Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé-Marconi Studios. Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Overdubbing, mixing and editing for the upcoming album Tattoo You (only MJ, Chris Kimsey and sporadically KR), incl.
<snip>
- Tops III (MJ/KR) -using version I as backing, different lyrics

alimente
It's stuff like Tops which is not exactly "Stones-by-numbers" which always leaves me listening with my mouth wide open in amazement. It speaks volumes that back in 1973, they were able to leave stuff like that in the can (and a bit later, Worried About You and Slave)

Songs like this amaze me too...completely creative and original.

Seems like it may have been a mote of an idea in the early '70s but took some years to "bake" and come to full fruition.

- swiss

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 3, 2015 23:33

IrelandCalling4
Love it; from the initial hearing of Tattoo You I've loved this one. All of Side 2 really is just so strong, one of their finest sides of vinyl ever I'd venture.

funny, but when Tattoo You came out i listened to side 1 over and over; then a classmate told me about a song he liked on Side 2. I said I never listen to that side and he said I should because it was better than side 1...i gave it a try and thats when i discovered this great song!

Date: November 3, 2015 23:45

Swiss, IMO, Jagger's voice sounds very 1972-ish/ heavy intake substances on the alternative 'Tops'

Listened to both again today (1972 alternative, and 1981 Philly Live)
Utterly captivating to me, having only endlessly played the Tattoo You record track previously. The guitars- and Watts, Wyman, Nicky Hopkins on the '72.
It's something.

Date: November 4, 2015 00:00

DandelionPowderman
alimente

There are quite a few tracks that really could have been something on Voodoo Stew/Brew/Residue. With the same defication as earlier they could have made a killer album of those tracks, imo.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. Look, for an artist (almost) everything lies in his dedication to his art. A musician can't hide that he's not really into a project and settles for something less, in particular if he has the status of The Rolling Stones, where everything he does is dissected in detail under the microscope.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 4, 2015 00:29

alimente
Yes, I absolutely agree with you. Look, for an artist (almost) everything lies in his dedication to his art. A musician can't hide that he's not really into a project and settles for something less, in particular if he has the status of The Rolling Stones, where everything he does is dissected in detail under the microscope.

And yet people don't abandon the ship entirely, and continue to shell out $100 million to see them per short tour...

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: November 5, 2015 07:55

My favorite song on Tattoo You..hands down!

PECMAN

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home