Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Steve Earle & The Dukes at The Ritz, Manchester. Tuesday 20th October, 2015.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 21, 2015 19:32

Hello,

Think this was my fifth time seeing the always engaging and sincere Mr Earle: from solo, or with his then wife Allison Moorer up to band shows you are guaranteed a worthwhile evening. This tour is ostensibly tilted towards promoting his latest album 'Terraplane', which is a collection of blues numbers: right up my street and as such it is on order from Amazon!

The opening turn (On the LHS of the photo above) were the hardest-working folk in showbiz last night, seeing as how husband and wife duo Chris Masterson and Eleanor Whitmore are also part of Earle's own band too (The Dukes). Right, glad that's clear now...

They entertained us for 35 minutes or so and did what they set-out to achieve: to warm-up the Tuesday audience for the headliner. He and the other Dukes (Kelly Looney on bass...great name, and Will Rigby on drums...an unothodox and terrific lefty) fired-up about 20 minutes later and didn't let-up until the curfew was breached over 2 hours later. VFM, or what?

There were a few older and well-known numbers like 'Galway Girl', 'My Old Friend The Blues' and the inevitable and always welcome 'Copperhead Road', along with the terrific, bluesy numbers from his latest long-player...

Baby Baby Baby (Baby)
You're the Best Lover That I Ever Had
Ain't Nobody's Daddy Now
Baby's Just as Mean as Me
Love's Gonna Blow My Way
My Old Friend the Blues
Someday
Guitar Town
Copperhead Road
Goodbye
Sparkle and Shine
I Thought You Should Know
Dominick Street / The Galway Girl
Little Emperor
Acquainted With the Wind
South Nashville Blues
CCKMP
Forty-Four Blues
(Howlin’ Wolf cover)
The Usual Time
That All You Got?
Go Go Boots Are Back
Better Off Alone
The Tennessee Kid
King of the Blues
Hey Joe
(The Leaves cover)

Encore:

Mississippi, It's Time
Down the Road
Down the Road Pt II

Encore 2:

The Revolution Starts Now
Wild Thing
(The Wild Ones cover)

I took some ropey vid of the last song, here: [www.youtube.com] . You've been warned etc...You'll see that there were a couple of covers in the mix: the solo that Chris Masterson played on 'Hey Joe' was about as brilliant as I have ever heard anyone play on that number- just wow!

There was plenty of interaction with the punters too, as is Steve's way. It takes something to not only get a midweek (and sober) audience bouncing at times but also to lift yourself and give yet another terrific show, even if it's just another stop along the way.
His humour is never far away, telling us that his latest divorce has lasted longer than a couple of his marriages (seven and counting...), and that he and the band would be happy to sign anything after the show, but they will "...pimping the shit outta their merch!". There were further funnies about how he feels the need to have a selection of 'chick songs' mid-set because frankly he needs to have something a little nicer than versions of himself to look at during shows!

Keep playing Steve because we'll keep coming to hear you...top man!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Steve Earle & The Dukes at The Ritz, Manchester. Tuesday 20th October, 2015.
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 21, 2015 21:03

Wow, fantastic pictures here.
Steve's last album is brilliant. thumbs up

Re: O/T Steve Earle & The Dukes at The Ritz, Manchester. Tuesday 20th October, 2015.
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 22, 2015 00:19

indeed that is a fine band.

I think Steve is a great commentator on the times. he's a badass poet, and a veteran folk-rocker who loves the blues.

good mix of songs, and his topical stuff is fine with me.

he has the courage to write about what matters to him.. the confederate flag song is one I'm glad he wrote.

better him, than one of these loudmouth new country acts that would just as soon keep flying that flag on their trucks.

I saw the same setlist in Charlotte, about a month ago.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: October 22, 2015 00:38

Yeah hate I missed him a few weeks ago when he played here in B'ham but I was in class. Saw him back in 1996 right after he got out of Prison. He's playing a few back to back dates in Nashville this coming January, might have to plan another road trip....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 22, 2015 00:45

the dude's awesome! he writes great music and great lyrics! i've seen him live twice, last time was for The Low Highway tour ... an album where every song is great - and he did the entire album live!

Of course he has one of the best songs ever in Copperhead Road, and also did a great tune w/ the Pogues, Johnny Come Lately. He is a legend!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 22, 2015 13:09

Seen him about 7 times, solo and with band. always great shows, and he writes gret songs.
Jeroen

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 22, 2015 16:33

I used to own his Guitar Town album (LP) a long time ago - I always loved it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home