Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Was 1971 the coolest tour ever?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 17, 2015 18:09

Apart from being recently dubbed “the last theatre tour”, or because of it, there is just something so relax that translates in musical invention…

Just compare Midnight Rambler pre-intro jams at London Roudhouse and Leeds University

MR pre-intro in London… A lazy, yawning blues

MR-pre intro in Leeds… A devilish funky stuff, I wished they had play longer, with obvious Nicky Hopkins’ lead, a reminder of Jamming with Edward kind of pattern…

I mean, let’s face it.

Stones can be very conservative in songs’ structure… 1969, 1970, 1972 and 1973 featured a great deal of various approaches in guitars solos, but not in songs’ structures (with some exception in the medley I’m Free-Under my thumb)…

1971 is looser, and more opened, in that sense…. Alternating a bluesy and a funky pre-intro for Midnight Ramble, switching from an electric feel to a RnB feel for Satisfaction, or again, unlashing the funky piano stuff in Live with Me.

Re: Was 1971 the coolest tour ever?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 17, 2015 18:26

1969 hands down. Jagger the Devil never looked cooler!

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: October 17, 2015 19:13

Love the versions of just about every song from Roundhouse & Leeds w/ Satisfaction & Live With Me being the exceptions vs. 69. I think 71 stacks up very well against 69, and in some cases surpass. Stray Cat & HTW I would put into the surpass category with MR, JJF, SFM, LIV in the same league as 69. Too bad SFTD wasn't done in 71. The new stuff - Bitch, BS, DF - great.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 17, 2015 19:21

1969, 1971, 1972 those were all great tours musically from my perspective. The Stones playing the songs they would continue to play for the next 45 years when they were new and fresh.

You are right about the Stones playing the arrangements pretty close to the bone, even more so now with Chuck directing the tempos and arrangements so precisely. The only differences are generally done withing the context of the song structure, instrumentation and subtle musical stuff. While it's one of the things that defines live Stones music, I often wish they would stretch things out, mess with the arrangements and give us more variety in that department.

I think they might have experimented with that approach in the late 60's early 70's a bit and realized the train went off the tracks too much to be comfortable with it. lol

Date: October 17, 2015 19:45

Naturalust

I think they might have experimented with that approach in the late 60's early 70's a bit and realized the train went off the tracks too much to be comfortable with it. lol

Yeap. Diehard fans may love this mess, but it doesn't work with huge crowd. CHYMK played in 1971 live (source Wyman, Keys), which tuned into mayhem, which in turn resulted the song being ban from the stage during 32 years, is an example.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 17, 2015 20:00

1969 yes

Date: October 17, 2015 20:07

The Joker
Naturalust

Yeap. Diehard fans may love this mess, but it doesn't work with huge crowd. CHYMK played in 1971 live (source Wyman, Keys), which tuned into mayhem, which in turn resulted the song being ban from the stage during 32 years, is an example.

Wow didn't realize CYHMK took that long of a break. I certainly don't consider the Stones very fearless when it comes to taking chances with the music. They stick to what works and as you point out are quick to drop something if they experience any problems with it.

Count me in as one who would like to see more red hot messes and musical chances taken. But of course to have an such expectations at this point is futile. They will continue to roll out the greatest hits, all tightly arranged with controlled tempos. Thankfully they've still got that classic looseness within the songs to keep them compelling for those of us who have seen them performed many times.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 17, 2015 20:20

It would have to be something with Brian. Let's get the real Rolling Stones.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2015 20:29

Naturalust
The Joker
Naturalust

Wow didn't realize CYHMK took that long of a break. I certainly don't consider the Stones very fearless when it comes to taking chances with the music. They stick to what works and as you point out are quick to drop something if they experience any problems with it.

Count me in as one who would like to see more red hot messes and musical chances taken. But of course to have an such expectations at this point is futile. They will continue to roll out the greatest hits, all tightly arranged with controlled tempos. Thankfully they've still got that classic looseness within the songs to keep them compelling for those of us who have seen them performed many times.

They give up too easy sometimes. They dropped 100 Years Ago after only two shows in 1973 and did Silver Train once! And for some shows didn't do Heartbreaker.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: October 17, 2015 22:12

Does anyone have a decent sounding recording of the 71 verison of CYHMK and 73 Silver train and 100 years ago?

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: October 17, 2015 22:31

On the 1971 they were more loose and funkier than the two previous tours (Europe 1970 and USA 1969) where they were more 'dangerous' in their music. I like the approach on both of these ways playing songs. Some songs became better like Midnight Rambler.
After these tours the setlists became more predictable, which they changed for the Licks tour. Which was much more fun for fans who went to more shows IMO. Not every song turned out to be great on the licks tour, but there was more variety in songs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 17, 2015 23:06

Stevie Wonder opening on the 72 tour was pretty cool. Was too young to see it but going by tapes I've heard & "Ladies & Gentlemen" film.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 17, 2015 23:18

69 the Stones were all over every magazine cover from Life to US News. They had America more excited then at any time as it was the return of the Stones to touring. And in such a large scale.

For me No one ever looked cooler then all 5 Stones in 69!!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 18, 2015 00:04

The '71 tour intrigues me. Doesn't seem to be much info/audio, unlike other tours. Like someone said above, the low key theater shows seem so cool.

Greenfield's book regarding the tour was a great read. At least I think so.
[www.amazon.com]

Date: October 18, 2015 00:40

Stones has always been ultra-safe w/ their set selections, and the more so as the years pass. Credit for trotting out Sway, CYHMK, ER, Silver Train, Worried about You, etc. the more rarely played tunes from LIB. My only wish is they would mix up the sets/made the running order to make the evening a bit less predictable. What makes their club shows over the years so great is both the smaller setting as well as the typically more diverse/interesting set lists - El Mocambo, Double Door, Toronto, LA, and the a lesser degree, the club shows in 2002, for instance. Not to mention limited backup support vs. larger venues.

Date: October 18, 2015 01:24

SuperC
What makes their club shows over the years so great is both the smaller setting as well as the typically more diverse/interesting set lists - El Mocambo, Double Door, Toronto, LA, and the a lesser degree, the club shows in 2002, for instance. Not to mention limited backup support vs. larger venues.

I agree about the cubs shows generally having a bit more diversity in terms of set lists and wish the Stones weren't so damn conservative in their approach to larger shows. I guess they are too worried about not pleasing the large audiences, something obviously trumped by the excitement nd satisfaction of seeing them in an intimate venue.

But I disagree about the backup support, I have always loved and enjoyed seeing warmup acts play on the Stones stage and giving their very best performnces. It's not like the Stones actually play less time because of them, at least not for a long time now. They come out and do the exact setlist they plan and play for almost the exact time they are planning to play. I miss the less predictable nature of shows of old when the bands would sometimes play late into the night.

Date: October 18, 2015 01:57

Naturalust
SuperC
What makes their club shows over the years so great is both the smaller setting as well as the typically more diverse/interesting set lists - El Mocambo, Double Door, Toronto, LA, and the a lesser degree, the club shows in 2002, for instance. Not to mention limited backup support vs. larger venues.

I agree about the cubs shows generally having a bit more diversity in terms of set lists and wish the Stones weren't so damn conservative in their approach to larger shows. I guess they are too worried about not pleasing the large audiences, something obviously trumped by the excitement nd satisfaction of seeing them in an intimate venue.

But I disagree about the backup support, I have always loved and enjoyed seeing warmup acts play on the Stones stage and giving their very best performnces. It's not like the Stones actually play less time because of them, at least not for a long time now. They come out and do the exact setlist they plan and play for almost the exact time they are planning to play. I miss the less predictable nature of shows of old when the bands would sometimes play late into the night.

By backup support I meant those extra musicians on stage w/ RS that seem unnecessary on most songs. I, as well, like at the opening acts at the club shows. Sorry for the poor wording.....

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: October 18, 2015 02:06

1973 has always been my favourite tour... until the re-release of Sticky Fingers: I think the 5 songs from the Roundhouse might be the greatest half hour of live Stones music I've ever listened to..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 18, 2015 02:15

I think the 5 songs from the Roundhouse might be the greatest half hour of live Stones music I've ever listened to..

Pretty damn good indeed ... even the crowd when they recognise
Stray Cat and they screeeem of what is about to rain down on them .....talk about slaughter of the innocent

ROCKMAN

Date: October 18, 2015 02:55

Rockman
I think the 5 songs from the Roundhouse might be the greatest half hour of live Stones music I've ever listened to..

Pretty damn good indeed ... even the crowd when they recognise
Stray Cat and they screeeem of what is about to rain down on them .....talk about slaughter of the innocent

Here that version of Stray Cat Blues is...with only 134 views?

[www.youtube.com]

And a much slower version from 1970. It sounds like Keith is starting Let it Loose when he begins this one!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: October 18, 2015 04:01

Date: October 18, 2015 09:53

hot stuff
69 the Stones were all over every magazine cover from Life to US News. They had America more excited then at any time as it was the return of the Stones to touring. And in such a large scale.

For me No one ever looked cooler then all 5 Stones in 69!!

Back to the topic:

"The coolest", meaning the most relaxed, and fun... It does not mean the hottest, or the best one, musically...

1969 was ended by Altamont, a lot of pushers around, bizarre plots (the Knight of Columbus)... Lot of bad vibes = not cool

1970 was marked by riot and tear gas - incidents in France and Italy

1972 was tough, full of drugs, with some possible retaliations of Hell Angels - Mick and Keith arrested – Bombing by some French Canadians - read STP

1973 tension in the group, Bobby almost killed himself and kicked out of the group,MT about to leave...

In that respect, 1971, in their homeland, with cool British audiences (Mick at that time did a few sarcastic comments about them being too cool and unresponsive… well “sleepy London town”)... I see it as the coolest.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: October 31, 2015 14:55

The Brighton, Liverpool, Leeds and London performances were recorded with the Rolling Stones mobile studio by the Rolling Stones crew. (Bill Wyman; Rolling with the Stones p. 375)

Surely these shows need to released at some point! Imagine if they just released a 71 tour box set, shame it's never going to happen.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2015 15:24

The Joker
Naturalust

Well look at how much we jump down their throats when there's the occasional F-up. Can you imagine if all the songs in all the shows were a clusterf*ck? I'm pretty sure the whole thing would have jumped the rails in 1989 if they hadn't gone into vegas mode. Sadly, it was the price to be paid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home