Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Vinyl Question
Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 19:33

Hi everybody
Everybody talks about the better quality of older pressings. So i decided to go to a record shop to buy some used records. But i don't really know what's important when i buy used lps. What do i need to know? What's important to pay attention to? Do you have any advices?

Re: Vinyl Question
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 11, 2015 20:43

Here is a good article from reddit that explains it pretty well. Of course the key is finding the records you actually want in good condition. Plenty of Bay City Rollers records out there in great condition, a lot less Rolling Stones ones. Good Luck. winking smiley

[www.reddit.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2015 21:16

If you can go to vinyl fairs and buy them for $1-2 a pop, you almost can do no wrong.

Having said that, once you've figured out the music style/band you want the best 'quality' pressings are usually from the 60s, and UK/European ie for the stones, DECCA in the 60s.

The 70s and even 80s had notoriously thin, lightweight vinyl in response to the oil crises of 1973 and 79. The story gets much better in the 1990s to today.

Price for new vinyl is quite high, so the pressings in 180g and 200g vinyl and limiting to 2-3 songs per side, mean better quality and more sonic range.

It's a good time to be a vinyl enthusiast.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:17

Thank you for your nice reply! I think i'll need the luck...smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 11, 2015 21:21

Some records are good to collect while others are good for quality listening. Sometimes they're both the same, but usually quite expensive in this case. Very interesting that someone is new to this arena. I wish you great luck!

Date: October 11, 2015 21:22

Thank you too, Treaclefingers! I would love to collect them. I think you just get a better listening experience with vinyl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 21:32 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:25

I wanted to start with vinyl since i'm into the Stones. Thanks Frankotero (i respond too slowlyeye rolling smiley)

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 11, 2015 23:09

Good luck, suckers are charging 5 times as much for Stones, Zep, Beatles, etc. most of the time regardless of condition (because suckers are willing to pay for it).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 14, 2015 01:50

shadooby
Good luck, suckers are charging 5 times as much for Stones, Zep, Beatles, etc. most of the time regardless of condition (because suckers are willing to pay for it).
a

Isn't that just a case of supply & demand? You could make the same argument for 'suckers' that buy 500+ dollar tix to see the stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home