Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2015 14:40

N.W.A. (12th place in the fan vote) also got in, but somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-17 14:41 by tatters.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 19:39

The list is a disgrace. NWA?! What is that?!! Chicago = elevator music

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: December 17, 2015 20:12

should be a interesting ceremony,hope blackmore shows, like to see cetera on stage with Chicago again

Date: December 17, 2015 20:23

Stones50

ever heard the first 5 chicago albums?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 17, 2015 20:31

Every year I think what is this? Maybe it's my own old guy opinion but I think over half the people already in this "hall of fame" are not Rock And Roll at all. Seems anything popular falls into this category. How many times have bands like Deep Purple and the Stones won awards at a Country or Jazz Ceremony for example. In the end music is all about opinion and I'm happy people dig whatever they're into but please don't call anything/everything Rock And Roll. My two cents.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 20:36

frankotero
Every year I think what is this? Maybe it's my own old guy opinion but I think over half the people already in this "hall of fame" are not Rock And Roll at all. Seems anything popular falls into this category. How many times have bands like Deep Purple and the Stones won awards at a Country or Jazz Ceremony for example. In the end music is all about opinion and I'm happy people dig whatever they're into but please don't call anything/everything Rock And Roll. My two cents.

thumbs up

it's a joke.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: December 17, 2015 22:29

What's N.W.A. exactly? Isn't that an old wrestling promotion?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 17, 2015 23:21

frankotero

Good call

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 08:29

RollingFreak
2000man
The Smiths & Los Lobos are the picks of this bunch.

N.W.A. and to a lesser extent Deep Purple (and maybe Yes?) were sufficiently influential to deserve it.

Chic were the world's greatest disco band for a short while, and I guess that has to count for something...

Steve Miller & Chaka Khan had second acts, Steve Miller had maybe more than two, so they've got that going for them

Janet Jackson & The Spinners were good in their day, but HOF?

Chicago? godawful

The rest are in the 'wait long enough and everyone gets in' crowd

I can't understand this for a second. You think Deep Purple "to a lesser extent" were sufficiently influential to deserve induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I'm not even really a Deep Purple fan but understand their massive influence on music. For Smoke On The Water alone, but for so much more as well. They were one of the first heavy bands, back when The Beatles were still making music, and to not see that they are clearly the most deserving on this list is inexcusable IMO. The only clear rock acts on this list are Deep Purple, Yes, and Cheap Trick, who you don't even mention. I don't actually believe they are HOF worthy. They were fine, but not HOF worthy, so I've always felt I can be objective in that way. But they absolutely deserve to be in over the rest of this year's garbage.

Totally agree with your comments in support of Deep Purple. It blows my mind that they are not in, and it's even more disturbing that none of the people that were inducted had the balls to speak up in defense of DP. I am not a manic DP fan, but no one can deny that they belong in the Hall more than many artists who have been already inducted... It's bloody outrageous!

And they completely forget progressive bands: Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull... How could they?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Rory Gallagher? And perhaps Ten Years After? Or Uriah Heep even?

It's not about whether you like these bands. It's gotta be more objective than that...

If DP doesn't make it this year I will lobby big time for Hungary's Szörényi Levente to be inducted into the Hall, boys and girls!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 18, 2015 15:54

Stones50

Again, I know 1 song does not a rock band make, but listen to the guitar solo from 0:49 - 4:48 in this song and tell me that's elevator music. Its much more representative of the early years until they had a hit with a ballad and the record company turned them into snoozers.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: December 18, 2015 16:02

I cannot believe the J Geils Band nor The Moody Blues are in the HOF. Of these recent inductees I can understand Deep Purple and Chicago. NWA is rap- not rock. As for Cheap Trick? Gimme a break!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 18, 2015 16:09

steverogan
I cannot believe the J Geils Band nor The Moody Blues are in the HOF. Of these recent inductees I can understand Deep Purple and Chicago. NWA is rap- not rock. As for Cheap Trick? Gimme a break!

I agree.

Date: December 19, 2015 06:36

cheap trick deserves to be in there. not sure what the hate is for

Date: December 20, 2015 01:25

keefriffhard4life

A 70's version of bubble gum music. They are in the same league as the Bay City Rollers.

Date: December 20, 2015 01:29

More Hot Rocks
keefriffhard4life

A 70's version of bubble gum music. They are in the same league as the Bay City Rollers.

lmao. you must know 3 songs by them

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 20, 2015 01:40

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
keefriffhard4life

I known more then 3 songs........but IMO they didn't add anything new or special to R&R..............
So I go for the Moody Blues and Deep Purple............

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: December 20, 2015 03:13

NICOS
keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
keefriffhard4life

I known more then 3 songs........but IMO they didn't add anything new or special to R&R..............
So I go for the Moody Blues and Deep Purple............

I agree.

Date: December 20, 2015 06:07

This band that made this garbage made the hall

But this band didn't

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 20, 2015 10:44

Oh come on, Cheap Trick is a perfectly legitimate band. They actually get more crap than they deserve for being "pop". They have extremely infectious songs and they were a great band. Zander is a great vocalist and Neilson is a semi-underrated guitar player, and an even more underrated songwriter. My issue with them is I don't think they did enough. I really like them and think they were a good band, but they didn't really break any new ground. Combine that with the fact that they never truly got huge. Their biggest thing is Budokan and like two hit songs. I like the guys, but its that point in the hall where its like "there are good bands, and there are GREAT bands" and to me Cheap is just in that former category. Which is in no way a knock, but just the case.

Take The Moody Blues for example. No one really sounds like the Moody Blues and they had a lot of strengths. Days Of Future Passed is a masterpiece which is widely regarded as great. Plus, they HAD several hits. So their omission is more baffling than anything else. They fit the categories. They legitimately had a great run of hits (and albums) and their music was truly unique. I'd struggle on the influence front, but to me they have the makings of a Hall Of Fame band. Or at least one that doesn't deserve to be purposely excluded, which is what they have been.

But like I said, when the ballot is Janet Jackson or Cheap Trick, I'm not gonna NOT vote Cheap Trick. I'm very happy they're going in, and with whats already in they are absolutely fair. I just think if the Hall were run properly they wouldn't really make that list.

Date: December 20, 2015 11:00

RollingFreak
Oh come on, Cheap Trick is a perfectly legitimate band. They actually get more crap than they deserve for being "pop". They have extremely infectious songs and they were a great band. Zander is a great vocalist and Neilson is a semi-underrated guitar player, and an even more underrated songwriter. My issue with them is I don't think they did enough. I really like them and think they were a good band, but they didn't really break any new ground. Combine that with the fact that they never truly got huge. Their biggest thing is Budokan and like two hit songs. I like the guys, but its that point in the hall where its like "there are good bands, and there are GREAT bands" and to me Cheap is just in that former category. Which is in no way a knock, but just the case.

Take The Moody Blues for example. No one really sounds like the Moody Blues and they had a lot of strengths. Days Of Future Passed is a masterpiece which is widely regarded as great. Plus, they HAD several hits. So their omission is more baffling than anything else. They fit the categories. They legitimately had a great run of hits (and albums) and their music was truly unique. I'd struggle on the influence front, but to me they have the makings of a Hall Of Fame band. Or at least one that doesn't deserve to be purposely excluded, which is what they have been.

But like I said, when the ballot is Janet Jackson or Cheap Trick, I'm not gonna NOT vote Cheap Trick. I'm very happy they're going in, and with whats already in they are absolutely fair. I just think if the Hall were run properly they wouldn't really make that list.

tons of bands are in with fewer hits and albums sold than cheap trick

Date: December 20, 2015 15:55

More Hot Rocks

But this band didn't

lets not forget these great songs though

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 20, 2015 18:03

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks

But this band didn't

lets not forget these great songs though

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Thats my whole point.

Date: December 22, 2015 23:35

your whole point was they write great power pop songs?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home