Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Any Dire Straits fans?
Date: October 8, 2015 01:40

mr_dja
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Lindsey Buckingham also uses primarily finger picking, to often mindblowing results.

dang you beat me to it

I saw Fleetwood Mac for for the first time this year at the L.A. Forum, and his guitar playing was amazing.
He's always been great on all the studio recordings, but to see him live was really stunning.
As a matter of fact, the show was so good I saw them again when they came back through the area several months later.

Although I enjoy their music, I wouldn't call myself a "fan" per se... That being said, after seeing them live back in 2003, they became a band that I will never "turn down the opportunity to see live". A bit of that is due to the obvious joy that Mick Fleetwood has during the show. The rest is because Lindsey Buckingham is a freak live. I never would have imagined. I'm not motivated to buy any additional albums, and probably wouldn't be the person who suggests going to see them, but I will see them any time, anywhere that someone else says, "hey, you wanna go see Fleetwood Mac live?" TWO BIG THUMBS UP for Lindsey Buckingham.

Peace,
Mr DJA

he is a freak live

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: October 8, 2015 01:49

I love Dire Straits. Their first album was the high water mark to me. I enjoy most of their work, as well as solo Mark. I saw him solo opening for Dylan two years back. Great show by Mark. MEZ

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 8, 2015 02:18

ohotos
tomcasagranda
I liked their unissued duet album with Chris Rea.

I wasn't aware of this. Always considered Rea as another great player comparable to Knopfler.

He's taking the pee. It's an old gag - the band would have been known as Dire Rea, geddit? How we laughed.....

Early stuff was better, Once Upon A Time in the West is a favourite. Drummer at time of Brothers was Terry Williams, once of Welsh 'acid rockers' Man, who were unique.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2015 02:34

keefriffhard4life
mr_dja
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Lindsey Buckingham also uses primarily finger picking, to often mindblowing results.

dang you beat me to it

I saw Fleetwood Mac for for the first time this year at the L.A. Forum, and his guitar playing was amazing.
He's always been great on all the studio recordings, but to see him live was really stunning.
As a matter of fact, the show was so good I saw them again when they came back through the area several months later.

Although I enjoy their music, I wouldn't call myself a "fan" per se... That being said, after seeing them live back in 2003, they became a band that I will never "turn down the opportunity to see live". A bit of that is due to the obvious joy that Mick Fleetwood has during the show. The rest is because Lindsey Buckingham is a freak live. I never would have imagined. I'm not motivated to buy any additional albums, and probably wouldn't be the person who suggests going to see them, but I will see them any time, anywhere that someone else says, "hey, you wanna go see Fleetwood Mac live?" TWO BIG THUMBS UP for Lindsey Buckingham.

Peace,
Mr DJA

he is a freak live

I'm with ya mr_dja...I'd consider myself a casual fan at the most - I always enjoyed most of this version's tunes on the radio since 1975.
And to finally see and hear all those tunes live was like looking through a cherished old photo album - but louder! thumbs up

And yes keefriff99, Buckingham is a FREAK live. When he was introduced towards the end of the show,
it was pointed out that he was the only one of the band that hadn't left the stage the entire night.
He looked exhausted, but exhilarated...he's an animal!!!

Hope they record and release some new tunes (which he said they were planning to do), and if they ever come around these parts again I'll be there!

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 8, 2015 12:01

Elmo
ohotos
tomcasagranda
I liked their unissued duet album with Chris Rea.

I wasn't aware of this. Always considered Rea as another great player comparable to Knopfler.

He's taking the pee. It's an old gag - the band would have been known as Dire Rea, geddit? How we laughed.....

Early stuff was better, Once Upon A Time in the West is a favourite. Drummer at time of Brothers was Terry Williams, once of Welsh 'acid rockers' Man, who were unique.

Terry Williams also was in Rockpile, with Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe (and Billy Bremner). Some high class rock'n'roll drumming on a lot of albums by Edmunds, Lowe and Rockpile !

resotele

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 8, 2015 21:18

Actually I do like Knopfler on Slow Train Coming, Infidels, by Bob Dylan.

I also have a liking for the Notting Hillbillies and the Chet Atkins Neck & Neck album.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 8, 2015 21:31

Definitely a fan although nothing has moved me like that first record. Been lucky enough to hang with this band a bit via my friendship with keyboard player Guy Fletcher. I once rescued him while he was getting blown down wind when he was learning how to windsurf in Southern California. He was grateful and invited me to a Dire Straits show the next night. Seen plenty of shows since and have watched Knopfler play from very close up. He indeed has a unique three finger picking style that is responsible for his sound and it is a joy to watch him pick his guitar.

Funny that I can't stand Sultans of Swing but love the simple soulful tunes like Six Blade Knife. Great rhythm section on that first record, it is a blast to play along with on a trap set.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 8, 2015 22:50

Another year, not even a mention by the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I'll never understand their ignorance of some groups. Dire Straits isn't even one of the groups the Hall actively ignores. They've nearly admitted to having a bias against heavy metal and prog rock acts. Dire Straits is neither, so I don't know what they're reasoning for never even being nominated is. Despicable.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 9, 2015 00:17

Some of Keith's singing on CROSSEYED HEART sounds like Mark Knopfler. I never thought that before.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 9, 2015 00:22

Not me.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 9, 2015 00:43

Bungo
Absolutely love them. You can't say too much about that band. Knopfler is a genius.

Agree 100%. And I think a lot of people have overlooked how amazing some of his solo stuff is. Here are just 2 examples.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: October 9, 2015 13:14

I have always been a big fan of Dire Straits. To me knopfler is one of the best guitarplayers. His style is so different from most of the others. I like all of their albums and think that they finished with style with "on every street". Then knopfler gave us a couple of good soloalbums before he went BORING!!

My first real concert was Dire Straits in Oslo 1992. And I played "alchemy" a lot. I particularly liked "once upon a time in the west" Good memories! And every now and then I still put on one of their albums and it still gives me a feeling of listening to a very good band with very good music.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home