Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: Neil Young "Rebel Content" tour
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 16, 2015 05:35

Hairball
Some pics taken from my little old cybershot - maybe not the best quality (some better than others), but I was trying to be incognito...

Hey Hairball, those are prety good shots, considering they were taken with a Cybershot. I'm shooting from the pit with an expensive rig and you can hardly tell the difference in some of your shots. Good job dude!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2015 05:53

roller99

Hairball
Some pics taken from my little old cybershot - maybe not the best quality (some better than others), but I was trying to be incognito...

Hey Hairball, those are prety good shots, considering they were taken with a Cybershot. I'm shooting from the pit with an expensive rig and you can hardly tell the difference in some of your shots. Good job dude!

Hahaha thanks roller99, but in all seriousness...your pics are far superior, thanks for sharing!!!! thumbs up

You must have been a few feet in front from me. Did you happen to see or notice that blonde lady pass out right at the beginning?
She basically fell right at my feet. She might have been having anxiety or something as she didn't seem drunk ( but not sure)-
a couple friends of hers knelt down to help her until security arrived and got her out of there. Hope everything turned out all right for her...

Date: October 16, 2015 06:43

Hairball
roller99

Hairball

Hahaha thanks roller99, but in all seriousness...your pics are far superior, thanks for sharing!!!! thumbs up

You must have been a few feet in front from me. Did you happen to see or notice that blonde lady pass out right at the beginning?
She basically fell right at my feet. She might have been having anxiety or something as she didn't seem drunk ( but not sure)-
a couple friends of hers knelt down to help her until security arrived and got her out of there. Hope everything turned out all right for her...

You'd be amazed at what you can get with a non-pro camera if you're close, that's how it all (re)started for me at The Stones show in Minneapolis in June. Your shots are good. I didn't see any drunk lady, had a camera glued to my face. Was the show good? smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2015 07:07

roller99
Hairball
roller99

Hairball

You'd be amazed at what you can get with a non-pro camera if you're close, that's how it all (re)started for me at The Stones show in Minneapolis in June. Your shots are good. I didn't see any drunk lady, had a camera glued to my face. Was the show good? smiling smiley

Ahhh thanks again. I did get some really great shots at a ZZ Top show last month being front row...about 95% were keepers.
Last night was a bit different as I was trying to be really discreet and quickly snap a shot or two without bothering those around me.
And being standing room only, it's a bit difficult in the thick of it to get an absolute steady shot. I do it basically for personal memories,
and leave the professional quality stuff to photographers like yourself! thumbs up

As for the poor lady, she passed out right at the beginning of 2nd song of Neils set when he came from behind the piano with his acoustic guitar.
There was alot of commotion with people aiming their smart phone lights at her, and I almost expected Neil to stop mid-song to make sure she was alright.
He had to have noticed as it was basically right in front of him, but as the old saying goes: the show must go on....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-16 07:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 16, 2015 13:29

Nice pictures! I checked out Neil's new website. Pretty interesting stuff on it. It's nice to see that Neil isn't mellowing out & not just musically.

[goearth.org]

Date: October 17, 2015 03:18

I got a fantastic sounding tape of the Forum show off of Sugarmegs.org. Unreal good for an audience tape. "Burned"! The Santa Barbara tape is real good but this one sounds better to my beat up ears. No disrespect for the taper of SB at all! What a tour leg this has been. I really hope our friends in other parts of the world get to experience this band a little later on. I want another album with Promise of the Real backing Neil up too!smoking smiley

Date: October 17, 2015 03:59

Hairball
roller99
Hairball
roller99

Hairball

Ahhh thanks again. I did get some really great shots at a ZZ Top show last month being front row...about 95% were keepers.
Last night was a bit different as I was trying to be really discreet and quickly snap a shot or two without bothering those around me.
And being standing room only, it's a bit difficult in the thick of it to get an absolute steady shot. I do it basically for personal memories,
and leave the professional quality stuff to photographers like yourself! thumbs up

As for the poor lady, she passed out right at the beginning of 2nd song of Neils set when he came from behind the piano with his acoustic guitar.
There was alot of commotion with people aiming their smart phone lights at her, and I almost expected Neil to stop mid-song to make sure she was alright.
He had to have noticed as it was basically right in front of him, but as the old saying goes: the show must go on....

I'd like to see those ZZ Top photos!! I have Stones and a bunch of other stuff at

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 18, 2015 22:54

This Note’s For You: Neil Young Readies “Bluenote Café” For November Release

OCTOBER 12, 2015 BY JOE MARCHESE

The ever-prolific Neil Young is following up his latest studio album The Monsanto Years with another dip into his fabled Archives. Bluenote Café is the title of his Archives Performance Series Volume 11, due in 2-CD and 4-LP editions from Reprise Records on November 13.

Bluenote Café takes its name from the horn-powered band which backed Neil on his 1987-1988 tour before and after the April ’88 release of the studio album This Note’s for You (originally credited to Neil Young and the Bluenotes, to the ire of soul great Harold Melvin). Familiar Young collaborators and Crazy Horse veterans filled the band, with the lineup consisting of Rick Rosas (bass), Chad Cromwell (drums), Frank Sampedro (keyboards), Steve Lawrence (lead tenor saxophone), Ben Keith (alto saxophone), Larry Cragg (baritone saxophone), Claude Cailliet (trombone), Tom Bray (trumpet), John Fumo (trumpet), Billy Talbot (bass) and Ralph Molina (drums).

This Archives volume has been sequenced in the manner of a complete show, drawn from numerous tour stops including Toronto, San Francisco, Hollywood, New York and Cleveland. It features three songs previously unreleased by Young on record – “Bad News Comes to Town,” “Crime of the Heart” and “Doghouse,” plus live renditions of other rarities like the B-side “I’m Goin’,” “Ain’t It the Truth” (first heard on compilation Lucky Thirteen), “Fool for Your Love” (resurrected in a 2000 performance for Road Rock Vol. 1) and an epic, almost-20-minute-long take on “Tonight’s the Night.” Another lesser-known song, “Soul of a Woman,” first appeared on Archives Vol. 9, A Treasure, in a country-flecked version with the International Harvesters. (Note that Archives Vol. 10, along with Vols. 4-8, has yet to be revealed or released.) Bluenote Café stretches as far back as Young’s Buffalo Springfield days with “On the Way Home.”

The eleventh volume of Neil Young’s Archives Performance Series, Bluenote Café is due from Reprise on CD, vinyl and DD (including on Pono, of course) on November 13!

Neil Young, Archives Performance Series Vol. 11: Bluenote Café (Reprise, 2015)

CD: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K.
Vinyl: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K.

CD 1

Welcome to the Big Room
Don’t Take Your Love Away From Me
This Note’s For You
Ten Men Workin’
Life In The City
Hello Lonely Woman
Soul of a Woman
Married Man
Bad News Comes to Town
Ain’t It the Truth
One Thing
Twilight
CD 2:

I’m Goin’
Ordinary People
Crime In The City
Crime Of The Heart
Welcome Rap
Doghouse
Fool For Your Love
Encore Rap
On The Way Home
Sunny Inside
Tonight’s The Night
All tracks previously unreleased.

CD 1, Track 1 from Mt. View Theater, Mt. View, CA – 11/7/87
CD 1, Track 2 from The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA – 11/12/87
CD 1, Track 3 from The Palace, Hollywood, CA – 4/13/88
CD 1, Tracks 4-7 from The World, New York, NY – 4/18/88
CD 1, Track 8 from The World, NY, NY – 4/21/88
CD 1, Tracks 9-12 from Agoura Ballroom, Cleveland, OH – 4/23/88
CD 2, Track 1 from CNE, Toronto, Canada – 8/18/88
CD 2, Track 2 from Lake Compounce, Bristol, CT – 8/23/88
CD 2, Track 3 from Jones Beach Theatre, Wantagh, NY – 8/27/88
CD 2, Track 4-8, 10-11 from Pier 84, NY, NY – 8/30/88
CD 2, Track 9 from Poplar Creek Music Theatre, Hoffman Estates, IL – 8/16/88

[theseconddisc.com]

Date: October 19, 2015 00:56

Thanks for the links Cristiano - pre-ordered!

Was trying to find the video for Crime in the City listed on disc 2 at Jones Beach Theatre, Wantagh, NY – 8/27/88,
but found this instead recorded at Canadian National Exhibition Grandstand, Toronto, 8/18/88...9 days earlier!
Poor video quality, but great audio:

Neil Young w/ the Bluenotes - Crime In The City

I thought the studio version on Freedom was nice and long at at 8:45, but this video comes in at a whopping 18:40!!!!
With an "almost-20-minute-long take on Tonight’s the Night" listed on disc 2, will we hopefully get a marathon version of Crime in the City?!!
How many minutes fit on a cd these days?

Date: October 19, 2015 04:58

Hairball

Was trying to find the video for Crime in the City listed on disc 2 at Jones Beach Theatre, Wantagh, NY – 8/27/88,
but found this instead recorded at Canadian National Exhibition Grandstand, Toronto, 8/18/88...9 days earlier!

I thought the studio version on Freedom was nice and long at at 8:45, but this video comes in at a whopping 18:40!!!!
With an "almost-20-minute-long take on Tonight’s the Night" listed on disc 2, will we hopefully get a marathon version of Crime in the City?!!

That's a great song. Track down "Eldorado". Fantastic stuff.

Date: October 19, 2015 05:31

crholmstrom
Hairball

That's a great song. Track down "Eldorado". Fantastic stuff.

Yes indeed Eldorado is fantastic. I have several boot versions of that - including the some haunting acoustic versions.
Don't think it was ever played during this particular 87/88' tour with the Bluenotes though?

edit: According to the description for video below, here's a version from '86 or '87 with Crazy Horse.
A bit crunchier than what it would eventually become when released on Freedom.

Neil Young - Road of Plenty (Eldorado)

There's so much on youtube, one can get lost in there. smoking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-19 05:50 by Hairball.

Date: October 21, 2015 14:08

I saw Promise of the Real is set to tour Australia in early 2016. To all my friends in the great Southland, go if you are at all interested even if they are playing without Neil. I've listened to some tapes available on archive.org & they are an excellent band. I hope they continue working with Neil but they are excellent in their own right. Incidentally, I've found really great tapes of most of the recent west coast tour. Not a bad one in the bunch. Really like how much Neil changes the set lists & you can hear the band continue to gell. Just listened to the show I saw in Seattle last night & was very pleased. The art of audience taping has gotten really good. Think the LA Forum show is the best one I've listened to but I haven't gotten to Eugene, OR show yet. Really amazing tour.

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: October 27, 2015 02:55

best show i saw this year after da stones!!

Date: January 26, 2016 14:22

Neil Young played last night in Paris, in a private concert at the Théatre Mogador (yes, that one). Some nice pics and videos here: [rockerparis.blogspot.fr]

Posted by: albop ()
Date: January 26, 2016 15:36

Cristiano Radtke
Neil Young played last night in Paris, in a private concert at the Théatre Mogador (yes, that one). Some nice pics and videos here: [rockerparis.blogspot.fr]

Sympathy for the devil

Neil Young Rebel content tour
Posted by: Aron ()
Date: April 27, 2016 21:59

Hi

i'm considering to buy tickets for the new neil young tour. But they are quite expensive, so i have some second thoughts. Did anybody already see the new tour? good or bad expierence?

cheers

Re: Neil Young Rebel content tour
Date: April 28, 2016 00:39

Saw the tour in October, worth every cent. If you like Neil Young DO NOT MISS IT!

Read all about it: Rebel Content

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 28, 2016 10:56

Come to Paris to see the tour : the Paris show doesn't sell at all and hopefully you'll be able to buy a ticket for 10€ ten minutes before the gig starts. winking smiley

Serious now : I've spent most of 2015 listening to tapes from the US tour and yeah Neil's hot and the POTR band is the second-best thing after "Crazy Horse".

Date: April 28, 2016 11:38

Go! It was the best show I saw last year & the best non Horse Neil show I've seen. At this point, POTR may even be a better backing band for Neil than the Horse. They seem to be pushing Neil out of his comfort zone. He also really seems to be enjoying himself which hasn't always been the case in the past. If you haven't already, check out any of the shows from last fall's west coast swing. Neil was regularily busting out songs that hadn't been played in 40 years. Really like POTR as a band, too. Willie's boys definitely have some big talent.

Date: April 28, 2016 19:14

Neil will release a new live album on June 17:

The album will be released on June 17 by Reprise Records and features performances of songs from a range of Young’s albums, including last year’s The Monsanto Years, 1990’s Ragged Glory, and 1970’s After The Gold Rush.

The audio was captured during Young’s 2015 tour with The Promise Of The Real.

The album features the live recordings, along with added musical overdubs, as well as sounds of the earth, such as city sounds like car horns, sounds of insects, and animal sounds from bears, birds, crickets, bees, horses and cows.

“Ninety-eight uninterrupted minutes long, EARTH flows as a collection of 13 songs from throughout my life, songs I have written about living here on our planet together,” says Young. “Our animal kingdom is well represented in the audience as well, and the animals, insects, birds, and mammals actually take over the performances of the songs at times.”

The track-listing for EARTH is as follows:

“People Want To Hear About Love” (from The Monsanto Years)
“Big Box” (from The Monsanto Years)
“Mother Earth” (from Ragged Glory)
“The Monsanto Years” (from The Monsanto Years)
“I Won’t Quit” (previously unreleased)
“Western Hero” (from Sleeps With Angels)
“Vampire Blues” (from On The Beach)
“Hippie Dream” (from Landing On Water)
“After The Gold Rush” (from After The Gold Rush)
“Wolf Moon” (from The Monsanto Years)
“Love & Only Love” (from Ragged Glory)

Young will preview the album in public on May 6 in Los Angeles at The Natural History Museum as part of its First Fridays series.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Date: April 29, 2016 10:02

Cristiano Radtke
Neil will release a new live album on June 17:

The album will be released on June 17 by Reprise Records and features performances of songs from a range of Young’s albums, including last year’s The Monsanto Years, 1990’s Ragged Glory, and 1970’s After The Gold Rush.

The audio was captured during Young’s 2015 tour with The Promise Of The Real.

The album features the live recordings, along with added musical overdubs, as well as sounds of the earth, such as city sounds like car horns, sounds of insects, and animal sounds from bears, birds, crickets, bees, horses and cows.

“Ninety-eight uninterrupted minutes long, EARTH flows as a collection of 13 songs from throughout my life, songs I have written about living here on our planet together,” says Young. “Our animal kingdom is well represented in the audience as well, and the animals, insects, birds, and mammals actually take over the performances of the songs at times.”

The track-listing for EARTH is as follows:

“People Want To Hear About Love” (from The Monsanto Years)
“Big Box” (from The Monsanto Years)
“Mother Earth” (from Ragged Glory)
“The Monsanto Years” (from The Monsanto Years)
“I Won’t Quit” (previously unreleased)
“Western Hero” (from Sleeps With Angels)
“Vampire Blues” (from On The Beach)
“Hippie Dream” (from Landing On Water)
“After The Gold Rush” (from After The Gold Rush)
“Wolf Moon” (from The Monsanto Years)
“Love & Only Love” (from Ragged Glory)

Young will preview the album in public on May 6 in Los Angeles at The Natural History Museum as part of its First Fridays series.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Looks interesting. Methinks there may have been a bit of "greenery" involved!

Date: April 29, 2016 10:41

Cristiano Radtke

I think I'll stick to the audience versions I could DL last year from torrent sites. Cow moo overdubs kill music! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 29, 2016 12:16

dcba
Cristiano Radtke

I think I'll stick to the audience versions I could DL last year from torrent sites. Cow moo overdubs kill music! >grinning smiley<

I'm hoping we get another studio record with POTR. The longer this collaboration goes on, the more interesting its getting. I got most of the west coast tour & there isn't a bad one in the bunch. I'm liking POTR's stuff without Neil, also. Lukas Nelson is clearly a talent worth following. I haven't heard any of his brother's stuff yet but he was doing some interesting stuff in concert.

Date: April 29, 2016 13:11

crholmstrom

I'm hoping we get another studio record with POTR.

Me I was "sure" the new (2016) album would contain studio cuts. But with Neil you can expect the unexpected. He's a sort of a musical southpaw!

Date: April 29, 2016 14:01

dcba
crholmstrom

I'm hoping we get another studio record with POTR.

Me I was "sure" the new (2016) album would contain studio cuts. But with Neil you can expect the unexpected. He's a sort of a musical southpaw!

He definitely follows his muse. Most of the artists I really like do that.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 3, 2016 01:17

His New Orleans Jazzfest set yesterday killed. Two hours of pure, molten guitar noise in the mud and pouring rain. No sweet acoustic interlude, just sonic brutality. Setlist was:

F-ckin' Up
Cortez
Country Home
Monsanto Years
I Won't Quit
Love and Only Love
Rockin' in the Free World
Powderfinger (encore)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 14:00 by ab.

Date: May 3, 2016 11:01

Promise of the Real is playing on Colbert Wednesday night.

Date: May 3, 2016 11:37

ab
His New Orleans Jazzfest set yesterday killed. Two hours of pure, molten guitar noise in the mud and pouring rain. No sweet acoustic interlude, just sonic brutality. Setlist was:

F-ckin' Up
Cortez
Country Home
Seeds Justice
Monsanto Years
Love and Only Love
Rockin' in the Free World
Powderfinger (encore)

That's a "Crazy Horse" setlist to me. Which makes me think Neil has long realized POTR is a younger version of CH. thumbs up

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 3, 2016 14:06

Indeed. It remains to be seen what's left in the tank for Crazy Horse after Billy Talbot's stroke a couple years ago. The difference between Promise of the Real and Horse is that Neil trades some leads and solos with Lukas Nelson.

Date: May 3, 2016 17:04

While Promise of the Real is a damn great backing band for Neil, the purity of vintage Crazy Horse is hard to beat - two guitars, a bass, and drums was really all that was necessary imo.
Teetering into train wreck territory during extended jams that were truly improvized vs. Promise's jams that sometimes comes off as a bit more polished and rehearsed.
With that said, I look forward to seeing Neil again backed by his new band - they are excellent!thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2322
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home