Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: Neil Young "Rebel Content" tour
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 15, 2016 23:19

Thanks Hairball! Enjoy the rest of Desert Trip. I look forward to your reports. I'm listening to Roger Waters from Mexico City a few weeks ago. Not the best tape but not horrible. It's phenomenal even without the visuals. I'm keeping an eye out for the Who & Roger from last Sunday. I hope this Pomona Neil show pops up, too. I got the 2nd night & that set is great too. See below:

1. Hold Back The Tears
2. Old Man (Abort)
3. Someday
4. Comes A Time
5. John Oaks
6. Neighborhood
7. Show Me
8. Indian Givers
9. Winterlong
10. Bad Fog Of Lonliness
11. If I Could Have Her Tonight
12. Revolution Blues
13. Vampire Blues
14. Seed Justice
15. Like A Hurricane
16. Glass Accident
17. Piece Of Crap
18. Love & Only Love
19. Encore Break
20. Peace Trail

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 26, 2016 07:49

I wrote this just over a week ago in regards to the Desert Trip/Pomona shows I saw:

"One of the unrecorded new tunes played that has really grabbed me over the last week or so is Peace Trail - a classic Neil tune by any definition.
I hope it gets officially released one way or another, as it's classic Neil all the way..."

And now I see this!

Neil Young Announces New Album, ‘Peace Trail’
By Dave Lifton October 25, 2016 9:35 PM

Peace Trail

Neil Young has a new album on the way. On December 2, the ever-prolific rocker will release Peace Trail, the 38th solo record of his career and second of 2016.

According to a press release, the lyrical themes of Peace Trail continue the global issues Young has been singing about on his two most recent efforts, Earth and The Monsanto Years. “Each song is rich with Young’s typically inviting lyrical expression of his inimitable impassioned and heartfelt life-long humanitarian concerns which remain as topical and timely as ever,” the press release reads.

One of its tracks, “Indian Givers,” was released last month. It deals with the controversy surrounding the Dakota Access Pipeline, with Young siding with the members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the construction of an oil pipeline near their reservation.

It’s mostly acoustic, with Young bringing in session legend Jim Keltner on drums and Paul Bushnell on bass. Young, Bushnell and Micah Nelson contribute background vocals on “My New Robot” and Joe Yanke played electric harp and pump organ. The record was recorded at Rick Rubin’s Shangri-la Studios, and was produced by Young and John Hanlon, who also mixed it.

Peace Trail will initially be available on CD, cassette and Young’s PONOMusic digital format, with a vinyl release coming in January. Pre-ordering it on his website will result in an instant download of the title track.

Neil Young, ‘Peace Trail’ Track Listing

1. “Peace Trail”
2. “Can’t Stop Workin’”
3. “Indian Givers”
4. “Show Me”
5. “Texas Rangers”
6. “Terrorist Suicide Hang Gliders”
7. “John Oaks”
8. “My Pledge”
9. “Glass Accident”
10. “My New Robot

Several of the above were played during that Desert Trip/Pomona run, but Peace Trail and Show Me were favs - hope the studio versions sound as good.
On the other hand, tracks 5 and 6 were kind of oddballs live, but maybe studio versions will be an improvement.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 26, 2017 14:47

A 30-second preview of Hitchhiker, title track of his upcoming album due out in August 4 can be listened here: [www.alza.cz]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 26, 2017 15:05

Cristiano Radtke
A 30-second preview of Hitchhiker, title track of his upcoming album due out in August 4 can be listened here: [www.alza.cz]

Some kind of archive release I guess? Hitchiker was on ''Le Noise'' from 2010.

Date: June 26, 2017 15:14

TheBlockbuster
Cristiano Radtke

Some kind of archive release I guess? Hitchiker was on ''Le Noise'' from 2010.

Yep, this release is being rumored since some time ago and the album is finally on pre-order on Amazon.

Hitchhiker was written in 1976 although it was only released almost 40 years later.
[americansongwriter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-26 15:17 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 17:41

Neil has released FIFTEEN albums since 2000...amazing.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 26, 2017 19:48

Le Noise was such a good @#$%& album.

Date: June 26, 2017 21:00

I really like Le Noise also, and vividly recall when I first bought the vinyl I blasted it so loud at home I had complaints from the neighbors down the street.
The opening distorted chords of Walk With Me felt like an earthquake ...California style...echoing throughout the neighborhood.

Date: June 30, 2017 19:34

Hitchhiker album: CANCELLED!!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 30, 2017 19:44

Hairball
I really like Le Noise also, and vividly recall when I first bought the vinyl I blasted it so loud at home I had complaints from the neighbors down the street.
The opening distorted chords of Walk With Me felt like an earthquake ...California style...echoing throughout the neighborhood.
I started listening to Le Noise the other day...for some reason that album completely slipped by me. Wow...the guitar distortion on Walk With Me is incredible...it really feels like it could cave your chest in if you blast it loud enough.

Date: June 30, 2017 19:52

keefriff99
Hairball
I started listening to Le Noise the other day...for some reason that album completely slipped by me. Wow...the guitar distortion on Walk With Me is incredible...it really feels like it could cave your chest in if you blast it loud enough.
Its an incredible record. One guitar, so much noise. His best songs in years IMO.

Date: June 30, 2017 21:02

A new song recorded with the Promise of the Real was released today. It's called Children of Destiny and it's available on Amazon.

Neil Young + Promise of the Real - Children of Destiny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-30 21:06 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: June 30, 2017 23:23

RollingFreak
Hitchhiker album: CANCELLED!!!

Ahhh crap - I just pre-ordered it on Amazon a couple days ago, and it's still listed on my order. I haven't been charged yet (they charge pre-orders when they ship it), but there's no info. regarding cancellation...it just says "currently unavaliable". Any details where this cancellation info. came from? Or why it was cancelled?

Date: June 30, 2017 23:25

Cristiano Radtke
A new song recorded with the Promise of the Real was released today. It's called Children of Destiny and it's available on Amazon.

Thanks Cristiano...maybe a new album on it's way? And maybe why Hitchhiker was cancelled?

Date: June 30, 2017 23:50

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

Thanks Cristiano...maybe a new album on it's way? And maybe why Hitchhiker was cancelled?

Yep, I'd say it's a new album. I'm not sure if Hitchhiker was cancelled, but maybe delayed. Let's see what happens.

Date: July 1, 2017 01:38

Neil Young Releases Patriotic 'Children of Destiny' Video:

Billboard

Neil Young and his Promise of the Real band dropped a patriotic video for new song "Children of Destiny" just in time for the Fourth of July weekend.

Featuring plenty of American flags, kids celebrating Independence Day, sweeping landscape shots and recent protest footage, the visual accompanies lyrics like
"Stand up for what you believe / Resist the powers that be / Preserve the ways of democracy so the children can be free."

The song, produced by Young, the Volume Dealers and Niko Bolas, was recorded with a 56-piece orchestra at Hollywood's Capitol Studios.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 1, 2017 02:47

Storytone part 2 ?

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 1, 2017 06:07

Hairball

Billboard

Neil Young and his Promise of the Real band dropped a patriotic video for new song "Children of Destiny" just in time for the Fourth of July weekend.

Featuring plenty of American flags, kids celebrating Independence Day, sweeping landscape shots and recent protest footage, the visual accompanies lyrics like
"Stand up for what you believe / Resist the powers that be / Preserve the ways of democracy so the children can be free."

The song, produced by Young, the Volume Dealers and Niko Bolas, was recorded with a 56-piece orchestra at Hollywood's Capitol Studios.

wow that is one horrifically bad protest song from the guy who wrote "ohio."

at least someone told him to include a black family at the 2:50 mark; it was lookin pretty white there for a video so steeped in liberalism.

also, i'm confused about the children of destiny: are they the blonde kids waving flags and riding bikes in america, or are they the (presumably brownish) kids who are getting the bombs dropped on them in the rain?

Date: July 1, 2017 06:14

LongBeachArena72
Hairball

Billboard

wow that is one horrifically bad protest song from the guy who wrote "ohio."

at least someone told him to include a black family at the 2:50 mark; it was lookin pretty white there for a video so steeped in liberalism.

also, i'm confused about the children of destiny: are they the blonde kids waving flags and riding bikes in america, or are they the (presumably brownish) kids who are getting the bombs dropped on them in the rain?

I dunno Longbeach...you made it through the video longer than I did. winking smiley
Oddball song and video to put it mildly.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 1, 2017 11:37

Cristiano Radtke
A new song recorded with the Promise of the Real

That's what I want to remember about this news : Neil still wants to work with POTR.
That's good cause it's the best band he worked with in a loong time.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 1, 2017 18:15

Incredible lame song...unfortunately.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:13

shortfatfanny
Incredible lame song...unfortunately.

Oh my, you're not kidding

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 1, 2017 20:25

dcba
Cristiano Radtke
A new song recorded with the Promise of the Real

That's what I want to remember about this news : Neil still wants to work with POTR.
That's good cause it's the best band he worked with in a loong time.

thumbs up

Especially in a live setting - those Desert Trips and Pomona Theater shows rank up their with some of the best Neil Young shows I've ever seen.
Not quite at the level of some Crazy Horse shows (though not all of those were were great), but at this point POTR are the next best thing.

Studio wise hard to tell how great they are as they're limited to what Neil is writing. There's a couple decent tunes on the The Monsanto Years album, but there's also alot of crap tunes and even the best backing band in the world can't polish a turd and turn it into a diamond. The new song 'Children of Destiny' is a perfect example of this. The live album Earth is the best showcase of what they bring to the table, and while not the greatest live Neil Young album, it's better than those last two studio albums imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 20:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 1, 2017 21:35

Caught "Children of Destiny" earlier today. I can appreciate where Neil's thoughts and heart are re things, but must agree with prior assessments here. It's a really lousy song.

Date: July 5, 2017 22:54

Date: July 25, 2017 00:09

Great article on the latest Uncut magazine (September 2017) about Neil's archives.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2152
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home