Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 'One More Shot' solo version
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2018 15:16

I love those two songs. Doom & Gloom was great in the studio, whereas One More Shot wasn’t so much. Live I loved One More Shot, and Doom & Gloom was never as good as the studio track.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 15, 2018 15:39

JumpingKentFlash
I love those two songs. Doom & Gloom was great in the studio, whereas One More Shot wasn’t so much. Live I loved One More Shot, and Doom & Gloom was never as good as the studio track.

spot on.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 15, 2018 16:00

JumpingKentFlash

Hi JKF!! Do you love this version?!!
I think you're the only one!!! grinning smiley
[youtu.be]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 15, 2018 17:05

HMS
I dont think that this is ever going to happen, One More Shot belongs exclusively to the Stones now. To make a solo-version available would be the same as the Stones re-recording Just Another Night. Unthinkable.

I'm afraid this assessment is correct.

My hope is that it will be leaked one day.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 15, 2018 17:10

frankotero
Think this would be interesting to a lot of us, but at the same time dispell a little of The Stones magic. It's a difficult situation for sure.

I think the best version was the Barclays Center.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 15, 2018 17:44

doitywoik
HMS
I dont think that this is ever going to happen, One More Shot belongs exclusively to the Stones now. To make a solo-version available would be the same as the Stones re-recording Just Another Night. Unthinkable.

If there's a will, there's always a way...

I mean, Keith released a solo live version of Gimme Shelter, Mick's solo version of Memory Motel from a movie soundtrack is circulating, Mick played tons of Stones songs at his solo shows, so there seems to be no rule that can't be broken in one way or another.

Date: April 15, 2018 18:13

retired_dog
If there's a will, there's always a way...

If there is a will, there's always also a bunch of lawyers in the nearby winking smiley

retired_dog
I mean, Keith released a solo live version of Gimme Shelter, Mick's solo version of Memory Motel from a movie soundtrack is circulating, Mick played tons of Stones songs at his solo shows, so there seems to be no rule that can't be broken in one way or another.

I could be wrong of course but the fact that it wasn't a Stones song originally but got released as a Stones song might pose a problem.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2018 19:48

doitywoik
HMS

Many hope the same.
Also, if there's ever a Crosseyed Heart Super Deluxe release (another hope), there's a chance this will be included.
Would love to hear some demos, a couple of extended versions, various outtakes, several remixes, etc., etc., etc. For example, the reggae cover of Gregory Isaacs' Love Overdue is crying out for a heavy dub version!
In fact there's already a remix version by reggae master Lee Perry added as a bonus track via Best Buy exclusive I have,so they can add that as well as an extended heavy duty dub remix version.

"Keith and Lee "Scratch" Perry in the latest issue of Rolling Stone
(the October 24, 2013 issue with the “Walking Dead" on the cover).
The pair are mixing a take on “Love Is Overdue” by Gregory Isaacs".

Keith

Date: April 16, 2018 20:32

doitywoik
HMS

I think the Stones recording a song that was solo previously wouldn't happen, however going the other way, having a solo version of a stones song is much likelier.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2018 20:47

treaclefingers
doitywoik
HMS

I think the Stones recording a song that was solo previously wouldn't happen, however going the other way, having a solo version of a stones song is much likelier.

Funny to think that if Keith's version will be officially released one day, it will be credited to Jagger/Richards/Jordan despite the version being completely finished before Jagger had even heard about it...

- Doxa

Date: April 16, 2018 21:35

Doxa
treaclefingers
doitywoik
HMS

Funny to think that if Keith's version will be officially released one day, it will be credited to Jagger/Richards/Jordan despite the version being completely finished before Jagger had even heard about it...

- Doxa

Maybe Keith would just have it credited to Brenda/Richards/Jordan...exacting a little punishment?

Date: April 16, 2018 21:45

Joking aside, why should Mick be punished by Keith here? It was Keith who brought the song to the Stones. He could also have brought a different one.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 16, 2018 21:47

If the solo version is so good.

Can we hear it somewhere?

Date: April 16, 2018 21:51

Ha! We'd all love to!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 16, 2018 22:52

KRiffhard
JumpingKentFlash

Hi JKF!! Do you love this version?!!
I think you're the only one!!! grinning smiley
[youtu.be]

*Here is a fresh review from an old RS fan.
Truly, I had not remembered ever hearing ‘One More Shot’ until yesterday!
I do not own a greatest hits/ have heard ‘Doom and Gloom’ knew of existence for long time, but never liked it (sorry) to ever play it more than 2x in 3 years (that’s ‘Doom and Gloom’ I’m talking about)
So, this ‘One More Shot’ I read lots of hubbub at IORR
I pay iTunes $1.99 and now own 2 Rolling Stones released and sanctioned versions.
I have seen the utube videos of live versions.
I dig it. I do. thumbs up

Date: April 16, 2018 23:16

mtaylor
If the solo version is so good.

We only have Jordan's word for it (being better - but actually I think for that doesn't need much...). And on his judgment we trust, don't we?grinning smiley

But just think about another scenario. Had it turned out to be that The Stones wouldn't have released their version. And Keith would have released it in CROSSEYED HEART (and probably not given credit to 'Brenda', since he didn't give one for him from "Trouble" either).

And then rumours started spreading that there is also an album-ready Stones version of "One More Shot". How much in that case we would have loved to hear that one? No matter how great Keith's solo version would have been (or is), it would always had been clouded by the awereness that there exist a supposedly better Stones version... (think of someone like a big-mouth Ronnie Wood saying things like 'yeah, Keith's is a great one, but I like more the version we did'...smoking smiley)

I think I like it better this way - that we have Stones one out, and Keith's not - if it turns out to be that I am never in a position to listen the other version...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 23:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 16, 2018 23:29

The whole Keith v. Mick narrative bores the daylights out of me.

Date: April 16, 2018 23:32

Doxa
treaclefingers
doitywoik
HMS

- Doxa

If it differ substantially it might be credited Richard/Jordan. After all, he wasn't in the picture at that point smiling smiley

Most likely Mick would have been credited, though..

Date: April 16, 2018 23:51

DandelionPowderman
[
If it differ substantially it might be credited Richard/Jordan. After all, he wasn't in the picture at that point smiling smiley

Most likely Mick would have been credited, though..

I think the versions differing, somene actually doing something or not, doesn't have any role if The Stones are somehow involved - there is no ever one Glimmer TWin credited without the other... Should be but not...grinning smiley

Or it could be that the 'boys' have finally grown up and having left this sometimes artificial 'Jagger/Richards' business deal behind - or its most Biblical reading - and use more common sense... The credition of "Trouble" seems to hint that way... (but I am here skeptical...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 23:52 by Doxa.

Date: April 17, 2018 00:03

<there is no ever one Glimmer TWin credited without the other>

Never say never - there is one Stones tune where Keith is credited and not Mick winking smiley

Date: April 17, 2018 00:46

DandelionPowderman

Never say never - there is one Stones tune where Keith is credited and not Mick winking smiley

eye popping smiley What's that? "Hurricane"?

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2018 00:56

ROCKMAN

Date: April 17, 2018 01:06

So that was not that one...

I am all ears, Dandie (or anyone)... Or do I need to start a research....

- Doxa

Date: April 17, 2018 01:09

Doxa

- Doxa

I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys (Richards/Oldham) smiling smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 17, 2018 06:32

No big eroteme to me. I love ONE MORE SHOT and would take it over any song on Crosseyed Heart, which alone tells me which is the better version.

Date: April 17, 2018 10:24

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Dammit! So true!

It could be that ALO has been the only person ever to have some sort of authority over Jagger/Richards deal, and thereby was able - at those early days - to even break it occasionally (especially if his own contribution and ego was involved). He probably is the brains behind the whole Jagger/Richard deal, having the example of The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney in mind.

ALO got also a co-credit for "As Tears Go By", after suggesting to replace "Times" with "Tears". Since it is a trivia time, is there before Taylor got a co-credit for one EXILE track and Marianne - after some fight - from "Sister MOrphine" any other Jagger/Richards track someone else getting a co-credit for? I cannot think any. I recall the story of "Off The Hook" that some of MIck's friends came up with one verse for the song, but they made a kind of deal that he didn't 'need' his credit. And then there are those who felt that they probably should have earned a credit from certain songs, but that's another story... It was a rather closed shop those days, unlike nowadays - due to MIck and Keith bringing songs from sessions with other people - when to find a Rolling Stones song without having some third name in its credition starts to be a rarity... For some time - from the late 70's to mid-80's - Ron Wood was occasionally that 'third name' - but neither Mick or Keith doesn't seem to be interested in his contributions since then (which I always have found strange).

Oh yeah, there was a long time ago some sheet books for Stones songs in which certain songs were credited to all of them (can't recall which ones, probably "Paint It Black" and "Honky Tonk Women" were some of those). That was odd, and wonder who had the nerves to do that...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 10:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2018 10:42

2Stoned -- Andrew Loog Oldham

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 17, 2018 10:53

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Dammit! So true!

It could be that ALO has been the only person ever to have some sort of authority over Jagger/Richards deal, and thereby was able - at those early days - to even break it occasionally (especially if his own contribution and ego was involved). He probably is the brains behind the whole Jagger/Richard deal, having the example of The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney in mind.

ALO got also a co-credit for "As Tears Go By", after suggesting to replace "Times" with "Tears". Since it is a trivia time, is there before Taylor got a co-credit for one EXILE track and Marianne - after some fight - from "Sister MOrphine" any other Jagger/Richards track someone else getting a co-credit for? I cannot think any. I recall the story of "Off The Hook" that some of MIck's friends came up with one verse for the song, but they made a kind of deal that he didn't 'need' his credit. And then there are those who felt that they probably should have earned a credit from certain songs, but that's another story... It was a rather closed shop those days, unlike nowadays - due to MIck and Keith bringing songs from sessions with other people - when to find a Rolling Stones song without having some third name in its credition starts to be a rarity... For some time - from the late 70's to mid-80's - Ron Wood was occasionally that 'third name' - but neither Mick or Keith doesn't seem to be interested in his contributions since then (which I always have found strange).

Oh yeah, there was a long time ago some sheet books for Stones songs in which certain songs were credited to all of them (can't recall which ones, probably "Paint It Black" and "Honky Tonk Women" were some of those). That was odd, and wonder who had the nerves to do that...

- Doxa

Yes! I remember a song book with credoting the whole band.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 17, 2018 12:06

But we do have part of the Winos version of One More Shot of course -they kept Richards open G guitar for the Stones version. That's all Boogie MK 1 sound of the Talk is Cheap sessions.

Mathijs

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 17, 2018 19:26

Mathijs
But we do have part of the Winos version of One More Shot of course -they kept Richards open G guitar for the Stones version. That's all Boogie MK 1 sound of the Talk is Cheap sessions.

Mathijs

Let's hear it

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home