Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: "A Bigger Bang" released ten years ago today
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 12, 2015 02:24

Let Me Down Slow is nice. Really nice. It has a 'classic Stones' ring to it somehow.

Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake and Dangerous Beauty along with Keith's This Place Is Empty. Nice playing and lyrics in those tunes, even though Rough Justice is a bit of a wink.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 12, 2015 02:44

The Stones were done by the late seventies. Everything after Tattoo You is pretty much irrelevant. Which is an insight adopted even by Sir Michael. Just study the setlists since 1989.
Tattoo You was the last record that really made an impact and the last record with a bona fide hit in Start Me Up.

Date: September 12, 2015 02:57

The 1989-1998 setlists had many new songs.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 12, 2015 06:52

honestly, don't know where it is...I remember loving Under The Radar...Laugh I nearly Died...Dangerous Beauty lyrics classic Mick...and I liked Neo Con...brilliant

Date: September 12, 2015 17:03

DandelionPowderman
The 1989-1998 setlists had many new songs.

Which was brilliant! They played about 6 songs from VOODOO on that tour. The SW tour took them a while to get more in but they were doing 6 new songs by the end of the first US tour.

BRIDGES tour, the first US one, they did only 4 from the new album. The 1998 tours they were doing up to 5, and the 3 Madison Square Garden shows they played Low Down, next show they played Already Over Me and the third show Might As Well Get Juiced. From what I know those are the only times those 3 songs got played live.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 12, 2015 17:15

Stoneage
The Stones were done by the late seventies. Everything after Tattoo You is pretty much irrelevant. Which is an insight adopted even by Sir Michael. Just study the setlists since 1989.
Tattoo You was the last record that really made an impact and the last record with a bona fide hit in Start Me Up.

You live in the past. Not good.

Date: September 12, 2015 17:25

RockinJive
Stoneage

You live in the past. Not good.

As a five piece creative band, the Stones' last album was UNDERCOVER and brilliantly the last good compilation was REWIND.

After that the "relevance" didn't matter anymore (never have been sure how relevance has ever been relevant with music other than social commentary) and they did, I mean, come on, someone must've been embarrassed by the entire load of DIRTY WORK. STEEL WHEELS was a huge improvement but the brilliance was past gone.

Sure, it's still The Rolling Stones since 1994 regarding a 4 piece band of actual members and overall they play mostly Wyman era songs but something substantial changed between UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK and it's never been righted.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 12, 2015 17:36

Stoneage

The Stones were not done by the late 70s. They will never be done. The albums after TY weren´t irrelvant, lots of very good songs can be found on them. Regarding the "setlist-problem", the Stones have so many audience-pleasing hits, they cant put half of them in a 2hours-show. So there is simply not enough time to play more than 3 or 4 songs of a new album. They haven´t had a chart-topping hit for 35 years, so what? How could they, charts are now dominated by "singing" Disney-Teeny-stars. Not the Stones are irrelevant, the charts are.

Btw, their last three, four albums did very well in the LP-charts, all of them reaching top-five-positions or even higher. ABB was number one and so will be their next album. No need for over-pessimistic moaning.

Date: September 12, 2015 17:52

ABB was #1? Where? Not in the US! Their last US #1 was TATTOO YOU.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 12, 2015 18:54

Rip This
honestly, don't know where it is...I remember loving Under The Radar...Laugh I nearly Died...Dangerous Beauty lyrics classic Mick...and I liked Neo Con...brilliant

This.

I think it is their best work since Undecover of 1983. There are a lot of good song in this album. Under The Radar, Laugh I nearly Died, Dangerous Beauty are very very good. My favourite is Let Me Down Slow. I thnk that Ronnie's work here has got something of Ry Cooder. But in general the album is played well by all the Stones. I bought a very good version from japan some months ago.

Date: September 12, 2015 19:26

GasLightStreet

Not in the US, that´s true. But in several outher countries, have a look: HERE

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 12, 2015 19:53

I really enjoyed Bigger Bang. Somewhat underrated to me..

Date: September 12, 2015 22:34

HMS
GasLightStreet

Not in the US, that´s true. But in several outher countries, have a look: HERE

Yeah... not even in the UK. Their weakest charting studio album world wide regarding going to #1? That would take some time to look up and chart out, ha ha.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 12, 2015 22:55

I don't like ABB and i consider it a sort of 'Goddess in the doorway' part. 2, with two decent Keith solo songs. A Mick's solo album, full of his home made demos, played by the Stones!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 15, 2015 06:51

Been listening to 'Laugh, I Nearly Died' tonight,
it's captivating to me. Loving it.
Take a listen if it's been awhile and in a mellow place:
[youtu.be]

Date: September 15, 2015 21:59

Laugh I Nearly Died is a fine latter day Stones-song. But the way Mick is overacting is just horrible. His singing on this one is ridiculous. Dont let him sing ballads anymore. He used to be great on ballads in the 60s and 70s but then he´s gotten more and more into "over-jaggering" his ballad-singing.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 15, 2015 23:06

HMS
Laugh I Nearly Died is a fine latter day Stones-song. But the way Mick is overacting is just horrible. His singing on this one is ridiculous. Dont let him sing ballads anymore. He used to be great on ballads in the 60s and 70s but then he´s gotten more and more into "over-jaggering" his ballad-singing.

Agreed on that. Not since Tattoo You, or maybe Almost Hear You Sigh, has there been a great one. Out of Tears was the one for me where I was like, WTF, and it hasn't stopped since. His voice has held up well, but on ballads he doesn't have the softness in his voice that he did once upon a time.

Date: September 15, 2015 23:19

Respectfully, I disagree. Jagger singing on 'Laugh, I Nearly Died' is perfect.
He paces himself, and it's rich blues. I listened to it a lot last night thru headphones- impressive.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 15, 2015 23:22

Listened to ABB the first time after years yesterday.
And: nooooooooooooooooooo! The only good song is THIS PLACE IS EMPTY
B2B was their last big thing.
So gimme one more shot in 2016

Date: September 16, 2015 00:09

Hail, hail, 2016.

And, okay, I will admit, I perhaps, maybe, swayed towards Mick's crooning due to, uh, well, I like him. And way before I had eye contact with him in San Diego. Way, way before that. I digress...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home