Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: my 1st Stones "record"
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 00:42

django
The "Gimme Shelter" LP in '72. I was 14 and I thought it was the soundtrack of the film I saw that year.

I made that same mistake!

My first record was HOT ROCKS in early 72.

Posted by: Blue Boy ()
Date: September 7, 2015 05:40

Got the It's Only Rock 'N Roll (Single) and Through the Past Darkly on the same day!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 7, 2015 07:19

My first Rolling Stones album was 'Let It Bleed', a vinyl record, purchased in December of 1969. I was 18 at the time. I still have the record.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 7, 2015 10:53

Made in the shade

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 7, 2015 11:54

Rolled Gold

Changed my world forever smiling smiley

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: September 7, 2015 15:50

First song I'd heard - most probably "Undercover of the Night", then "Harlem Shuffle" (fully consciously - knowing what I'm listening to).
First album heard in full - "Steel Wheels"
First concert seen - Prague 1990
First album bought - "Still Life" (well - by this time the basic discography I'd already had on my tapes, so I had to buy something "new")

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:00

She's So Cold - 45

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:02

Love You Live (had only on cassette, didn't know the "sides", I thought it was one whole concert)
Rolled Gold (just borrowed)
Some Girls (was my first I paid for)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-07 16:14 by 1962.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:05

Tattoo You. Followed by Still Life.

Date: September 7, 2015 17:32

Stoneage
Tattoo You. Followed by Still Life.

Cool, those were my second and third albums after Rolled Gold smileys with beer

Jezz they all changed my life lol

Made in the shade after that. lots of us having the same expirience, i never realised bofore confused smiley

Its a wonder how we don't all get along better on iorr sad smiley

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: September 7, 2015 17:41

In 1973: Get Yer Ya-Ya´s Out

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 7, 2015 17:51

First Stones-record I ever listened to was Rolled Gold. I guess I must have been twelve years of age at the time I discovered it in my brother´s record collection.

Next were Tattoo You & Emotional Rescue on tape a friend gave to me. Next Still Life and Rolled Gold Vol.2 also tape copies. These tapes hardly left my walkman.

First ever bought Stones-record was Undercover. Not liked it very much at first (it was so very different from their earlier stuff on Rolled Gold), but as time went on it became one of my favorites. Within a year I bought all of the albums, not in chronological order but whatever was at hand at the local record-shop.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: September 7, 2015 21:23

Goats Head Soup - I was 10 and bought the album and Angie single when it first came out. Before that had been listening to Sticky Fingers and Hot Rocks which my sister owned.

Date: September 7, 2015 21:57

Rolled Gold seemed to be a huge hit in the US. Never saw it here in Sweden though. Was it sold in Europe? When was it released?

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 7, 2015 22:13

Stonage
Rolled Gold seemed to be a huge hit in the US. Never saw it here in Sweden though. Was it sold in Europe? When was it released?

It`s vice versa: Rolled Gold was very popular in Europe (released in Uk and Germany in nov 1975) and never released in the US.

Tom

Date: September 7, 2015 22:15

Stoneage

Yeah it was in all the good UK stores in 82' for a long time

Date: September 7, 2015 22:16

I think Rolled Gold is a European release, Stoneage. My copy is a spanish or portuguese pressing.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 7, 2015 22:27

Love You Live was the first one I bought although I had thoroughly worn out plenty of my big sisters earlier records by that point. First Stones song I remember hearing was Gimme Shelter. I remember the place and time. Powerful stuff for a young kid to digest, it was all about the music and sound for me, didn't understand the words till years later.

Date: September 7, 2015 23:25

electricmud
Stonage

It`s vice versa: Rolled Gold was very popular in Europe (released in Uk and Germany in nov 1975) and never released in the US.

Tom

Thanks. So Hot Rocks is the American equivalent of Rolled Gold then? Or sort of. Never owned any of them.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:01

Stoneage
Thanks. So Hot Rocks is the American equivalent of Rolled Gold then? Or sort of. Never owned any of them.

Hot Rocks seemed to be very popular in the US. Released in Feb 1972 it contained 60`s material, Rambler live and the "new" Brown Sugar/Wild Horses. Great compilation.
The second part "More Hot Rocks" was my first Lp which I bought in mid seventies as an US import in Berlin/ Germany. After that I bought all the original albums so there was no need to get Rolled Gold. So I´m one of the very few Stones fans in Germany who never owed Rolled Gold winking smiley

Tom

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:47

Good job buttons67. Tattoo you first album I bought. My sister had hot rocks
Let it bleed

Posted by: winter ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:54

IORR in 1975, the year our parents got a new stereo and moved their old one to the basement so me and my little brother finally had a turntable.

By the time B&B came out in 1976, I had over 10 RS albums. And by the time LYL came out in 1977, I had them all up to that point (except some comps: Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks, Made in the Shade), even Metamorphasis and Jamming with Edward. Aah, the excitement of digging in and catching up!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 8, 2015 06:04

My first Stones "record" was 'Steel Wheels' on cassette tape in the summer of 1989, just before the tour started. Next, I wanted the song 'Start Me Up'. I didn't know what album it was on, but I saw that it was on 'Still Life' so that became my first live "album". I was 15. That fall I saw them live for the first time, and then around Christmas things really started to pick up after I got 'Hot Rocks', also on cassette.

It's all kind of hard to believe, considering I've now bought all of their albums multiple times over in various remasterings, but ya gotta start somewhere, and a rolling stone gathers no moss.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 08:28

My memory is not as good as others here but I think my first stones purchase was the extended play 5x5 in 1964. First single was satisfaction followed by the U.S. version of Out of our Heads.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 08:47

Emotional Rescue – as I mentioned in a post yesterday I loved Send It To Me and Summer Romance as much as the title track and the ice cream cone song. Looking back it seems the perfect Stones album for a 13 y/o to connect with – very light and bouncy – unlike say Some Girls which seems to have restricted admission or the somewhat pretentious Taylor albums. The only song which sailed above my 13 y/o sensibilities was Keith’s ‘All About You’ but that never stopped me from joining in on the chorus.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 10:53

DandelionPowderman
I think Rolled Gold is a European release, Stoneage. My copy is a spanish or portuguese pressing.

Rolled Gold is the best compilation of the 60's Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 8, 2015 11:09

Before I eventually had my own recordplayer from December 1965, I had in advance so many times during almost two years heard excerpts from both the first two studio albums and the German Decca's compilation AROUND AND AROUND (consisting of the first two EPs (minus "Money" ), plus "Not Fade Away", "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "It Is All Over Now"/ "Good Times, Bad Times" ) at the home of one guy I went to school with.

But with this delay (having been without recordplayer) the first Stones album that I myself owned, was the most recent one, OUT OF OUR HEADS, which was (according to) the US-version, in contrast with all later releases.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2015 12:34

The first album I heard was their U.K. debut LP. The first Stones records I listened to through my own initiative were my fathers' scratchy vinyl-pressings of the Decca Big Hits and Through The Past Darkley. My first Stones purchase was a cassette of Hot Rocks, followed shortly by Through The Past Darkly on compact disc. The latter wouldn't have been my ideal choice, but it was the sole Stones CD in the French record store. I'm guessing this was circa 1999.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: September 8, 2015 15:33

Purchased on day of release:

Date: September 8, 2015 15:58

DandelionPowderman

Rolled Gold is the best compilation of the 60's Rolling Stones!

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home